Which potential top 6 pick fits us best?

Which top 6 prospect fits us best?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

bajaden

Hall of Famer
I like Jackson a lot, but look at the ball rotation on his shot. It doesn’t rotate the way a pure shooters ball rotates.
I'm a guy that looks at all that small stuff, like the rotation of the ball, but I'm also a results guy, and it's hard to argue with his results, at least as far as his three pt percentage goes. My biggest concern with his shot is the fact that he brings the ball out in front of him before bringing it up to his shooting position. I think that works as a spot up shooter, which is basically what he his right now. But I think that motion, which is on the slow side, might be a problem if trying to shoot off the dribble, which he seldom, if ever does.

That's not thing that would drop him down on my board, just something that he needs to correct if he's ever going to be a player that's able to create for himself off the dribble. I also think it should be pointed out, that if this last game is the only game you've ever seen from him, it may be his best overall game of the year. He's also had his share of stinkers, so you have to temper your judgement a bit, and not base it on just this one game. That said, I have at number three on my board behind Doncic and Ayton, but ahead of Bagley and Porter.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Interesting. The first name that came to me was Noah Vonleh (again, in terms of movement only), and... interestingly enough Mash was one of nbadraft.net's comps for Vonleh (shows how good nbadraft.net is)
About the only comparison I would make to Vonleh, is that like Vonleh, Jackson is probably the fifth option on the team, and they have him playing out on the perimeter more than in the post. Why a talented player like Jackson is the fifth option is beyond my ability to comprehend.

I'm a guy that looks at all that small stuff, like the rotation of the ball, but I'm also a results guy, and it's hard to argue with his results, at least as far as his three pt percentage goes. My biggest concern with his shot is the fact that he brings the ball out in front of him before bringing it up to his shooting position. I think that works as a spot up shooter, which is basically what he his right now. But I think that motion, which is on the slow side, might be a problem if trying to shoot off the dribble, which he seldom, if ever does.

That's not thing that would drop him down on my board, just something that he needs to correct if he's ever going to be a player that's able to create for himself off the dribble. I also think it should be pointed out, that if this last game is the only game you've ever seen from him, it may be his best overall game of the year. He's also had his share of stinkers, so you have to temper your judgement a bit, and not base it on just this one game. That said, I have at number three on my board behind Doncic and Ayton, but ahead of Bagley and Porter.
I mean I don’t think I ever want my big shooting off the dribble unless he’s elite. His shot if funky looking but he’s shown if you get near him hes blowing past any big out there. He truly has elite quickness and handle I think his handle might be better than Boogie that crossover he did replays in my head every day. The kid is 18 guys 18 in 2-3 years after 20lb added on him he’ll be taking bigs off the dribble, posting up, shooting 3s, and bringing all nba defense.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
I mean I don’t think I ever want my big shooting off the dribble unless he’s elite. His shot if funky looking but he’s shown if you get near him hes blowing past any big out there. He truly has elite quickness and handle I think his handle might be better than Boogie that crossover he did replays in my head every day. The kid is 18 guys 18 in 2-3 years after 20lb added on him he’ll be taking bigs off the dribble, posting up, shooting 3s, and bringing all nba defense.
Yeah, your preaching to the choir here. I like Jackson a lot. His handle was my biggest question, and he's answered that. I bring up shooting off the dribble only because much has been made about his outside shot, and I think it's important to point out his limitations. At least at this time. Here's the deal, the only thing that may stop him from being elite, like a Garnett or an Aldridge, is the ability to shoot off the dribble. That ability for a big is what sets him apart from the rest. It's what made Dirk great. It's what sets Porzingis apart. So if Jackson is to become an elite player, which we all want, he's needs to improve in that area.

Yeah, your preaching to the choir here. I like Jackson a lot. His handle was my biggest question, and he's answered that. I bring up shooting off the dribble only because much has been made about his outside shot, and I think it's important to point out his limitations. At least at this time. Here's the deal, the only thing that may stop him from being elite, like a Garnett or an Aldridge, is the ability to shoot off the dribble. That ability for a big is what sets him apart from the rest. It's what made Dirk great. It's what sets Porzingis apart. So if Jackson is to become an elite player, which we all want, he's needs to improve in that area.
Part of this is the concern for me if we're selecting in the top 3 with a chance at Ayton/Doncic. I have a ton of faith in those guys being elite offensive players at the NBA level; something we desperately need if we ever want to get out of the cellar. As I've watched more film on Jackson, especially his defensive fundamentals and bounce with rim protection, the more he stands out as an absolutely stellar prospect on both ends of the court. I think he'll easily have positional flexibility at the 4 and 5, which is super enticing being able to get 4 guys who can totally open the paint for Fox. He's a really talented passer already and I have 0 qualms about him being an elite set-shooter at the next level. And this Minnesota game showed he could take over a game offensively, but like you said previously, you don't want to get over-hyped over one game and this is one of the only few times he's shown that.

Basically I'm at the point to where if you think Jackson could be a 22 PPG scorer in the NBA, he'll be the best player in this class. But when you have a chance to take (Imo) generational offensive talents in Doncic and Ayton, you just can't be wrong about Jackson's development as an offensive player. That's a move that sets a team back a decade if we're wrong.

Im with you though about moving Jackson far up my board. Not sure if I'm ready to take him over Bagley, but he's no lower than 4 for me.

Part of this is the concern for me if we're selecting in the top 3 with a chance at Ayton/Doncic. I have a ton of faith in those guys being elite offensive players at the NBA level; something we desperately need if we ever want to get out of the cellar. As I've watched more film on Jackson, especially his defensive fundamentals and bounce with rim protection, the more he stands out as an absolutely stellar prospect on both ends of the court. I think he'll easily have positional flexibility at the 4 and 5, which is super enticing being able to get 4 guys who can totally open the paint for Fox. He's a really talented passer already and I have 0 qualms about him being an elite set-shooter at the next level. And this Minnesota game showed he could take over a game offensively, but like you said previously, you don't want to get over-hyped over one game and this is one of the only few times he's shown that.

Basically I'm at the point to where if you think Jackson could be a 22 PPG scorer in the NBA, he'll be the best player in this class. But when you have a chance to take (Imo) generational offensive talents in Doncic and Ayton, you just can't be wrong about Jackson's development as an offensive player. That's a move that sets a team back a decade if we're wrong.

Im with you though about moving Jackson far up my board. Not sure if I'm ready to take him over Bagley, but he's no lower than 4 for me.
That's the part that scares me the most about taking Jackson top 5. If you're drafting him that early, you can't be wrong about him developing his offensive skills. There's Doncic, Ayton, Porter Jr, Young, and Bagley(?) who are all being projected as good/great offensive players. On the other hand, Jackson is a maybe.

If he was putting up this type of production under Calipari, I wouldn't flinch. We know Cal's style with his freshmen. However, Jackson is playing under Izzo, not Cal. You really wonder why a guy who's showing all these flashes doesn't get the opportunity to score more. In 15/28 games, he's had 6 or less FGAs. His ball handling and shot creating will need a lot of work in the NBA if he wants to be more than a Serge Ibaka.

Call me a pessimist, but I'm not entirely comfortable calling anyone on the team a #1 scoring option yet. Jackson Jr isn't known for his scoring, but if he's drafted onto this team, the pressure would be on him to develop as a potential #1/2 scorer.

I'm also curious about how much patience this FO has. Some of our players are older than others.
Fox: 20
Bogdan: 25
Buddy: 24
WCS: 24
Jackson: 23(March)
Giles: 19

The Kings' time frame will be important.

Only if we draft him :)

I would agree with your assessment. Just pointing out the risks. He might like Lonzo struggle with his shot at the next level.

I would add however he seems to have a high basketball IQ and to me that’s critically important. I think teams like Boston and San Antonio are successful because the avoid low IQ players.

What in god's name does Giles becoming a star have to do with trading Willie?????? What's this obsession you have with trying to trade Willie? We no longer have Papagiannis, and Koufos is likely gone after next season. That will leave us with Willie, Giles, and hopefully Skal. Unless we draft another big man, that would make us fairly thin in the front court. I think there's plenty of minutes there for both Willie and Giles. Actually I can see them on the floor together.

By the way, I didn't hear much coming from fellow players last season about Skal. The majority,if not all of it came from the pundits. Much different this time around when People like Christie, Peja, Carter, Temple and Randolph have all given high praise to Giles. I might add that the same kind of praise was given to Simmons in Philly before he ever set foot on the floor.
Exactly. Giles has not played a minute yet, Skal is still pretty raw, and Willie has to still grow considerably to be a top tier guy. Drafting a big does make a lot of sense for us, but then so does drafting a 3. In the latter case, we should think about getting Kosta to stay. Unless we can attract a big name (unlikely), he's a decent option, and his age works well with our timeline.

Exactly. Giles has not played a minute yet, Skal is still pretty raw, and Willie has to still grow considerably to be a top tier guy. Drafting a big does make a lot of sense for us, but then so does drafting a 3. In the latter case, we should think about getting Kosta to stay. Unless we can attract a big name (unlikely), he's a decent option, and his age works well with our timeline.
Drafting a 3 may not be needed if we can sign Hezonja. I would be pretty happy if we enter 2018-19 with the following

Center: Stein / Giles / Koufas
P forward: Bagley or Jackson / Skal / ZBo
Small forward: Hezonja / Jackson / Cobo
2 guard: Bogdan / Heild / Temple
Point: Fox / Mason / Schump

Last edited:
I’ve moved him ahead of Bagley cause I think MSU has him playing a role when he could tealllh bust out. Last game saw him take guys off the dribble and post up
I completely agree. He's basically been a 3rd option for MSU thus far. He's really skilled for his age. I'm mildly concerned about his fouls and rebounding.

I completely agree. He's basically been a 3rd option for MSU thus far. He's really skilled for his age. I'm mildly concerned about his fouls and rebounding.
Same here. More so his rebounding. His rebounding skills don't jump off the charts at you. Especially if you're looking at him to be your Clint Capela/DeAndre Jordan in the middle.

His shot doesn't concern me at all. It would if he was shooting 40% from 3 and 65% from the line. If that was the case I'd say he's probably having an anomaly type year like Derrick Williams had where he shot 57% or something stupid like that from 3.

Jackson actually has a good FT stroke. He's better than most college guards from the line. Even with all the funkyness of the shot and rotation, it works.

Same here. More so his rebounding. His rebounding skills don't jump off the charts at you. Especially if you're looking at him to be your Clint Capela/DeAndre Jordan in the middle.

His shot doesn't concern me at all. It would if he was shooting 40% from 3 and 65% from the line. If that was the case I'd say he's probably having an anomaly type year like Derrick Williams had where he shot 57% or something stupid like that from 3.

Jackson actually has a good FT stroke. He's better than most college guards from the line. Even with all the funkyness of the shot and rotation, it works.
Yeah I think Jackson could be a player we draft. I think we go big in the following order:
1) Ayton. - if your 1-2 and he’s there you take him.
2) if we pick 3-6 one of Bagley or Jackson assuming one is there at 6.
3) if we pick 7-8 one of Bamba or Carter

Let’s hope we don’t fall further then 8.

This all assumes we can sign Hezonja....

I'm really impressed with his offense. To have developed those skills at his age as a big is kinda crazy. Add his defense to that and I'm surprised he isn't in the conversation with Doncic and Ayton.

I'm surprised so many are high on Ayton. To me, he doesn't look any better than Embiid, Cousins, Davis, Towns or any of the other top big men in the league did in college.

How many playoff teams are led by big men? Cousins and Davis were what, 7th in the West when Cousins went down and there were a handful of teams within a couple games when that happened. We're talking the two best big men in the league paired together. That team basically has two Ayton's and they were fighting for a seed at the back end of the playoffs. Ayton is also a worse defender than both. I just don't see the success in picking him in the top 3. I'm trading back if a team wants him badly.

Look at the TWolves. Completely ineffective with Towns leading them but now a contender with Jimmy Butler there. I see Ayton being a lot like Towns but I think there are a couple Jimmy Butlers up there in the draft that we could snag that would be way more effective toward making a playoff run. I think with the Ayton selection you're going to need yet another high pick in a couple years to even make a run. You may be able to make that run quicker and with less pieces with a Doncic or Porter selection.
Ive made this same argument a few times and agree that Ayton lead teams will struggle to ever get into the upper tier of teams.

Omg Jackson had a hell of a game I only watched this first 5 min but the kid is a monster.

5-8 from 3

I’ve moved him ahead of Bagley he’s number 2 right now for me
Ive been hyping Jackson for awhile. He willlead to more wins for a team than Ayton. Id trade Ayton pick to move back for jackson and another asset in a heartbeat

On defense, watch how Jackson is able to hide himself from the offensive player but keeps in range to explode on the shot once the offensive player commits. He is like a hawk stalking prey from above. He anticipates where the offensive guy is goinga and sniffs out the shot, with a great feel for his own length and athleticism to wait for the perfect moment to explode toward the ball. By waiting he isnt jumping off the ground on every fake etc. Its beautiful to watch. His method nastalgicly reminds me of how im able to block so many shots being 5 10 using every ounce of my below average athleticism lol

Last edited:
I'm really impressed with his offense. To have developed those skills at his age as a big is kinda crazy. Add his defense to that and I'm surprised he isn't in the conversation with Doncic and Ayton.
It's his offensive numbers. He's no where near the #1 option on his team so you have to kind of predict if he would be able to put up the same offensive numbers as Ayton given the same amount of touches and plays ran for him.

I am taking this kid and laughing all the way to the bank. Size, mobility, length, touch, range and just a rebounding machine. In 2-3 years time this kid will be an all-star.

I would be very comfortable with Fox and Ayton as our main guys. In 2-3 years time each one of them individually willbe a match up nightmare so you can just imagine what you could do with both of them on your team. So much potential and development left in both. Could be special duo.

Ive been hyping Jackson for awhile. He willlead to more wins for a team than Ayton. Id trade Ayton pick to move back for jackson and another asset in a heartbeat

On defense, watch how Jackson is able to hide himself from the offensive player but keeps in range to explode on the shot once the offensive player commits. He is like a hawk stalking prey from above. He anticipates where the offensive guy is goinga and sniffs out the shot, with a great feel for his own length and athleticism to wait for the perfect moment to explode toward the ball. By waiting he isnt jumping off the ground on every fake etc. Its beautiful to watch. His method nastalgicly reminds me of how im able to block so many shots being 5 10 using every ounce of my below average athleticism lol
Ya 18 year olds aren’t suppose to have his type of defensive instincts

From the limited clips Ive seen you go Ayton if you can get him. This especially makes sense if we really do have our eyes set on Hezonja as a FA pickup filing the SF need.
There seems to be a trend to downplay the importance of the Center in todays game, but Ayton appears very mobil for a true big.

From the limited clips Ive seen you go Ayton if you can get him. This especially makes sense if we really do have our eyes set on Hezonja as a FA pickup filing the SF need.
There seems to be a trend to downplay the importance of the Center in todays game, but Ayton appears very mobil for a true big.
I’m not sure there is a SF need but we will see how the FO proceeds. People in general, including Napear, seem to be penciling in Jackson as not a starting option.. I think he’s shown some good things, but he is an older rookie and needs a better nba body at this point

Maybe I do like JJ more than others