Which potential top 6 pick fits us best?

Which top 6 prospect fits us best?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I do like the fact that JJ is showing more promise as of late with an increased role. I did not initially like the pick or the trade down from 10. I cant help but think that his looks and body mechanics might cloud my opinion. Maybe some dreads and tats might help.

Warhawk

The cake is a lie.
Staff member
I do like the fact that JJ is showing more promise as of late with an increased role. I did not initially like the pick or the trade down from 10. I cant help but think that his looks and body mechanics might cloud my opinion. Maybe some dreads and tats might help.
Yeah, because that is what makes a player good on the floor, right? :rolleyes:

I’m not sure there is a SF need but we will see how the FO proceeds. People in general, including Napear, seem to be penciling in Jackson as not a starting option.. I think he’s shown some good things, but he is an older rookie and needs a better nba body at this point

Maybe I do like JJ more than others
Even if you love Jackson you need at least one more player at that position,

I’m not sure there is a SF need but we will see how the FO proceeds. People in general, including Napear, seem to be penciling in Jackson as not a starting option.. I think he’s shown some good things, but he is an older rookie and needs a better nba body at this point

Maybe I do like JJ more than others
He is a role player, glue guy type SF. I can see him starting on a good team but you are right, he needs to get much stronger to be that 3 and D type guy but with a few extra solis skills thrown in (can dribble a bit, has a floater etc). His 3pt shots also need to be money. He should get his percentage to .400 which should be achievable given that most of his long range shots will be of the spot up variety.

I've been considering the fun of watching a Bamba and WCS pairing on the defensive end. I rotate draft crushes weekly so don't save this...
Would be a elite combo a few years ago but now I dont think so. They will just get played off the floor. Put a shooting big against them and it will rain open threes all day. Just remember how Ryan Anderson schooled Willie last year. And on the other end, both cant post up because they are way too unskilled and skinny.

I finally watched the UA/ASU game today. I thought Ayton looked pretty great on both ends. It was definitely one of his more complete games. Would love to have him but still wonder how he fits in the modern NBA. He can shoot so that's a plus. He did have one really awful 3pt attempt when the game was close.

I'm starting to key in on Jackson as well. I think other teams are going to tank hard and the Kings will continue to play the vets an ample amount of time so we will probably wind up 6th or so. When I think of the guys we have in WCS/Giles/Koufos, none of them really have an outside shot. It's going to be difficult to pair any of them with Ayton or Bagley. Jackson would fit in better due to his outside shooting and I think he and Giles could make a dynamic duo if everything works out. Two bigs that can defend, block shots, pass the ball and have a ton of offensive upside. The only glaring problem would be fouls because both guys foul a ton.

I'm starting to key in on Jackson as well. I think other teams are going to tank hard and the Kings will continue to play the vets an ample amount of time so we will probably wind up 6th or so. When I think of the guys we have in WCS/Giles/Koufos, none of them really have an outside shot. It's going to be difficult to pair any of them with Ayton or Bagley. Jackson would fit in better due to his outside shooting and I think he and Giles could make a dynamic duo if everything works out. Two bigs that can defend, block shots, pass the ball and have a ton of offensive upside. The only glaring problem would be fouls because both guys foul a ton.
Don’t think Jackson is available at 6.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.de.../2/17/17021922/2018-stiffs-mock-draft-2-0-duo

https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=1582127&start=80

Jaren Jackson is a nobody. I don't want another guy who can't create his own shot along the front line.

Give me a break with these mechanical fools gold projects.

Trae Young is another guy who makes me laugh. I pity the team that falls for his delusional production.

Jonathan Isaac was and is the far superior prospect to Jaren Jackson. Unfortunately the kid has glass ankles.

Give me Miles Bridges in the draft and Julius Randle in free agency and a healthy Harry Giles and this team is set :p

Anyone not projecting stardom for Slam Dunk Champion and ROY Donovan about last year should be distrusted this year.

So pretty much anyone but yours truly. ;)

I love Ayton. I like Bamba and warming a long to Doncic as a point forward.

I am not opposed to Ayton or Bamba because Willie is questionable building block with his recent obliteration at the hands of KAT and Capella.

It is one thing to get outplayed. Its another thing to be completely outclassed.

When De'Aaron struggles he is outplayed. But never outclassed.

I think Willie gets outclassed by KAT and Capella barely able to keep his balance on plays.

This is the guy our esteemed GM thinks can be "elite". Ridiculous.

So in this context we should be looking hard at Bamba as a Top 5 pick.

Bamba is a highly coordinated force unlike Jackson.

Bamba is a freak of nature like Ayton. Neither will fail.

Otherwise we need to nab Bridges who won the game against Purdue with picturesque execution.

This is the kind of takeover ability he possesses that will only be further unleashed with the NBA.

His skillset is confined in the NCAAs but will be set free in the Big Show.

I only hope Bridges has the length to play the power forward spot in the NBA. It is hard to tell definitively.

Bridges may have size and physicality like Draymond Green.

So though he is smallish he has the strength and power to command his space against longer athletes.

If he checks out against bigger forwards, he can be a star and first option on offense.

Ayton has currently made a third of his attempts from beyond the arc, 10 out of 30. The issue he faces currently in college is that they are not really asking him to take shots from beyond the arc, however there is no reason why he could not be used more from beyond the arc because he can shoot the three ball and does have good shooting form.

Bagley is another player that could become a good shooter from beyond the arc. He has currently made 17 of 48 attempts. Prior to their recent loss to UNC (he didn't attempt a single three pointer), Bagley had three games in which he made 2 of 4, 1 of 2, and 2 of 4 from beyond the arc. This kid has a ton of scoring potential and if there is a commitment made to utilize him from beyond the arc, then like Ayton, there is no reason why he could not be a threat because he can shoot the three ball and has decent shooting form.

I would not worry too much about their fit next to WCS, Giles or Koufos. If Ayton or Bagley are the best player available then we should take them and not give a seconds thought to those three players you mentioned. Koufos has no long term future with his team and may even struggle to emerge as a 2nd string center in today's league. Giles still has a big question mark next to his name because of his injury history. It would nice if he does realize his potential with us, but you cannot pass on a player like Ayton or Bagley in the hope that Giles' knees are a 100% and he realizes his potential - it's too risky. As for Willie, I would argue he is best suited to a role off the bench because he is not a good rebounder and shot blocker, and his scoring is not significant enough to make up for those shortcomings, however he would be ideal as an impact player off the bench. So for me, I would not pass on Ayton or Bagley because they might not fit with those three players.

Trae Young is another guy who makes me laugh. I pity the team that falls for his delusional production.
Trae Young leads the NCAA in scoring and assists per game. He might never be the next Steph Curry, but he certainly has the potential as a scorer and play maker to be a very good player at the next level. I would say a comparison to Mike Bibby is more realistic than Steph Curry, and if a team gets that caliber of player they should be very happy with their selection.

Jonathan Isaac was and is the far superior prospect to Jaren Jackson. Unfortunately the kid has glass ankles.
Isaac came out of college with a few significant concerns. First, on the offensive end is unlikely to ever be a go to player, and will most likely emerge as a 3rd or 4th option on a good team. Second, he is rake thin and unless he bulks up he might struggle on the defensive end and with durability. And third, it is not clear what his best position in the league will be and he's not an ideal fit at any given position, especially at the 4 and 5 which some people think he might end up playing.

Give me Miles Bridges in the draft and Julius Randle in free agency and a healthy Harry Giles and this team is set :p
Giles needs to get healthy and stay healthy, then maybe he can become a useful player. At this point it is too early to pin any hopes on him becoming a key part in this team's future.

Randle is a good call in free agency if the price is right. Maybe he can develop into a 3rd option if he chooses the right team.

So in this context we should be looking hard at Bamba as a Top 5 pick. Bamba is a highly coordinated force unlike Jackson. Bamba is a freak of nature like Ayton. Neither will fail.
Bamba is worth consideration because his defensive ability should translate to the NBA, but he is still raw and arguably needs more development than Jackson. Would I take Bamba over Jackson? Perhaps, there are things I prefer about Bamba to Jackson, but there are things I prefer about Jackson to Bamba. It's a tough call. I think if we end up with either of these guys we should be happy.

Otherwise we need to nab Bridges who won the game against Purdue with picturesque execution. If he checks out against bigger forwards, he can be a star and first option on offense.
Bridges is worth consideration if our pick falls outside the top seven. I would argue that, in no particular order, Ayton, Jackson, Bamba, Doncic, Young, and Bagley are the current top seven in this year's draft. After that I would place Mikal and Miles Bridges, Knox, Sexton, and Carter in the same tier. I wouldn't want to see us draft them with a top five pick, but would be happy enough with Bridges if we select outside the top seven because maybe he can be a diamond in the rough. There always seems to be someone taken outside the top picks that emerges after being ignored by plenty of people, so perhaps he can be one of them.

It will be interesting to watch Michigan State in the tournament. They are currently ranked #2 in the country and feature both Jaren Jackson and Blobs man Miles Bridges. They should go far and give us an added opportunity to see what each brings.
I was surprised as most that Bridges returned for his sophmore year though I was less impressed by him than some, maybe due to his height and length. But hey, I'm pretty shallow when it comes to appearance, and guys like Draymond Green should erase stereo types. Still, if Bridges turns out to be our pick, I do hope he has the needed skills to play SF on a consistent bases, that would make me feel better in regards to need.

Last edited:
We will see by the end of the year. Jackson was coming off that huge 27 point performance when those mock drafts came out. Just a couple weeks ago there were talks of Trae Young going #1 and he's dropped out of the top 5 on quite a few mocks up to this point. Mo Bamba is top 3 on a lot of mocks and I know a lot of people that wouldn't even take him at 10. It'll be exciting to see what happens.

Ayton has currently made a third of his attempts from beyond the arc, 10 out of 30. The issue he faces currently in college is that they are not really asking him to take shots from beyond the arc, however there is no reason why he could not be used more from beyond the arc because he can shoot the three ball and does have good shooting form.

Bagley is another player that could become a good shooter from beyond the arc. He has currently made 17 of 48 attempts. Prior to their recent loss to UNC (he didn't attempt a single three pointer), Bagley had three games in which he made 2 of 4, 1 of 2, and 2 of 4 from beyond the arc. This kid has a ton of scoring potential and if there is a commitment made to utilize him from beyond the arc, then like Ayton, there is no reason why he could not be a threat because he can shoot the three ball and has decent shooting form.

I would not worry too much about their fit next to WCS, Giles or Koufos. If Ayton or Bagley are the best player available then we should take them and not give a seconds thought to those three players you mentioned. Koufos has no long term future with his team and may even struggle to emerge as a 2nd string center in today's league. Giles still has a big question mark next to his name because of his injury history. It would nice if he does realize his potential with us, but you cannot pass on a player like Ayton or Bagley in the hope that Giles' knees are a 100% and he realizes his potential - it's too risky. As for Willie, I would argue he is best suited to a role off the bench because he is not a good rebounder and shot blocker, and his scoring is not significant enough to make up for those shortcomings, however he would be ideal as an impact player off the bench. So for me, I would not pass on Ayton or Bagley because they might not fit with those three players.
I'm not just going for fit. I like Jackson more than I do Ayton for sure and I'm on the fence about Bagley. It's difficult for me to project what type of player Bagley is going to be in the NBA. Is he a back to the basket post up player or is he a face up scoring threat? I'm not sold on either of their jump shots but it seems like nearly everyone is improving their shot these days so that's probably not going to be much of a concern in their future.

What I like about Jackson is that he fits next to anyone and everyone. He has very good lateral quickness like our very own WCS so if he gets switched on smaller players, it's not going to be like shooting fish in a barrel for the opposing team. Ayton and Bagley won't be able to switch like Jackson can and they don't offer nearly the same amount of rim protection. I just think Jackson is a modern day prototype big man. Some players have to be matched up with other players on the court while other players can play with anyone out there because they can do everything. I think Jackson will be one of the guys that can do everything at the NBA level. If the reports of Giles are true, we could possibly have a CWebb/Vlade type duo with exceptional passing.

We will see by the end of the year. Jackson was coming off that huge 27 point performance when those mock drafts came out. Just a couple weeks ago there were talks of Trae Young going #1 and he's dropped out of the top 5 on quite a few mocks up to this point. Mo Bamba is top 3 on a lot of mocks and I know a lot of people that wouldn't even take him at 10. It'll be exciting to see what happens.

I'm not just going for fit. I like Jackson more than I do Ayton for sure and I'm on the fence about Bagley. It's difficult for me to project what type of player Bagley is going to be in the NBA. Is he a back to the basket post up player or is he a face up scoring threat? I'm not sold on either of their jump shots but it seems like nearly everyone is improving their shot these days so that's probably not going to be much of a concern in their future.

What I like about Jackson is that he fits next to anyone and everyone. He has very good lateral quickness like our very own WCS so if he gets switched on smaller players, it's not going to be like shooting fish in a barrel for the opposing team. Ayton and Bagley won't be able to switch like Jackson can and they don't offer nearly the same amount of rim protection. I just think Jackson is a modern day prototype big man. Some players have to be matched up with other players on the court while other players can play with anyone out there because they can do everything. I think Jackson will be one of the guys that can do everything at the NBA level. If the reports of Giles are true, we could possibly have a CWebb/Vlade type duo with exceptional passing.
Well if your analysis is correct I think it’s highly likely he’s gone before six. Who are the 5 guys that get drafted before him?

Well if your analysis is correct I think it’s highly likely he’s gone before six. Who are the 5 guys that get drafted before him?

I don't think the league or most fans see it my way when it comes to Jackson but I think the top six will be:

Doncic
Ayton
Bagley
Porter
Young

If Ayton, Bagley and Jackson get swooped up by other teams, I would be perfectly happy with taking Wendell Carter. I actually think he has the highest chance of becoming a rock solid player but his ceiling isn't as high as the others.

I don't think the league or most fans see it my way when it comes to Jackson but I think the top six will be:

Doncic
Ayton
Bagley
Porter
Young

If Ayton, Bagley and Jackson get swooped up by other teams, I would be perfectly happy with taking Wendell Carter. I actually think he has the highest chance of becoming a rock solid player but his ceiling isn't as high as the others.
At this point I think that's where things stand but a lot can change between now and then and a lot rides on Porter's recovery. If we get to choose between Jackson and Bamba I'll be pretty happy.

Doncic
Ayton
Bagley
Porter
Young

Quite a few draft analysts see it your way. I think it’s more likely Porter or Bagley slip to 6. Porter due to back issues and Bagley on shooting outside of 5 feet issues. But we shall see.

Quite a few draft analysts see it your way. I think it’s more likely Porter or Bagley slip to 6. Porter due to back issues and Bagley on shooting outside of 5 feet issues. But we shall see.
I wouldn't rule out Trae Young being the one that falls because four of the teams are set at PG (Atlanta, Dallas, Sacramento, Memphis) and the other two might prefer other players and have greater needs (Phoenix and Orlando).

I do agree that Porter could fall due to his back, but arguably four teams could use an upgrade at SF (Atlanta, Sacramento, Orlando, and Memphis) and you can add a fifth in Dallas because they could use him at SF with Barnes at PF or vice versa.

Same goes for Bagley. Four teams arguably need to upgrade their PF position (Phoenix, Dallas, Sacramento, Memphis). It is possible Orlando could move on from Gordon if they don't want to pay him max level money and he signs an offer sheet this off season, but I doubt they let him go.

If Porter or Bagley do fall to 7 then some team is going to come away from this draft very happy with themselves because they will have a steal on their hands.

Would be a elite combo a few years ago but now I dont think so. They will just get played off the floor. Put a shooting big against them and it will rain open threes all day. Just remember how Ryan Anderson schooled Willie last year. And on the other end, both cant post up because they are way too unskilled and skinny.
I don't agree. Willie and Bamba both can post up. It's not their strength and not why you want them on your team but they both have post up skills. Ryan Anderson schooled the Kings, but, I don't agree with putting that on Willie. If he(Willie) isn't helping all the time on other guys I don't think Ryan Anderson is a difficult cover at all for Willie. The Kings were among the worst teams in the league last year at defending the 3 pt. line and the Rockets are one of the best at exploiting that. A front line with those two would be really good defensively even in today's NBA.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
I don't agree. Willie and Bamba both can post up. It's not their strength and not why you want them on your team but they both have post up skills. Ryan Anderson schooled the Kings, but, I don't agree with putting that on Willie. If he(Willie) isn't helping all the time on other guys I don't think Ryan Anderson is a difficult cover at all for Willie. The Kings were among the worst teams in the league last year at defending the 3 pt. line and the Rockets are one of the best at exploiting that. A front line with those two would be really good defensively even in today's NBA.
You want defense, then remember Mikal Bridges name. Best defender in the draft who by the way, also happens to be a SF, who by the way is averaging around 17 points per game on 50% shooting overall and 41% from the three. He doesn't get the headlines, but he's a dammed good player.

Doncic
Ayton
Bagley
Porter
Young

If we end up in Wendell Carter range then Joerger needs to be fired and maybe Vlade too. Carter’s the 10th pick...maybe 9th.

I wouldn't rule out Trae Young being the one that falls because four of the teams are set at PG (Atlanta, Dallas, Sacramento, Memphis) and the other two might prefer other players and have greater needs (Phoenix and Orlando).

I do agree that Porter could fall due to his back, but arguably four teams could use an upgrade at SF (Atlanta, Sacramento, Orlando, and Memphis) and you can add a fifth in Dallas because they could use him at SF with Barnes at PF or vice versa.

Same goes for Bagley. Four teams arguably need to upgrade their PF position (Phoenix, Dallas, Sacramento, Memphis). It is possible Orlando could move on from Gordon if they don't want to pay him max level money and he signs an offer sheet this off season, but I doubt they let him go.

If Porter or Bagley do fall to 7 then some team is going to come away from this draft very happy with themselves because they will have a steal on their hands.
I have Young 7.

Doncic
Ayton
Jackson
Bagley
Bamba
Porter
Young

If you trust his back you are ecstatic at 6. But would really prefer to be 3-4 with more options.

You want defense, then remember Mikal Bridges name. Best defender in the draft who by the way, also happens to be a SF, who by the way is averaging around 17 points per game on 50% shooting overall and 41% from the three. He doesn't get the headlines, but he's a dammed good player.
I think I read somewhere the older guys who shoot late tend to not shot well in the NBA. May not apply but Bridges seems a lot like Justin Jackson to me. If we don’t take well he could be our best choice however

Porter is optimistic he will play for the Tigers this season. I sort of hope so to get a better idea about his back.
Prior to the first game of the season and Porters injury he was my number 1 for the Kings mostly related to position and size. I'm aware he received a lot of hype leading up to the start of the season, still he looked really good.

Bamba is a highly coordinated force unlike Jackson.

Im curious on your evaluation of Bamba's coordination as well as if others agree with this assessment. Do you place him on same level as Ayton here? Embid?

I don't see the lack of coordination in Jackson and would flip the 2 on that scale if ranking.

If we end up in Wendell Carter range then Joerger needs to be fired and maybe Vlade too. Carter’s the 10th pick...maybe 9th.
Fire a good coach because he didn't lose enough. Do you have a nose or did you cut it off to spite your face? Regardless where we land all indications are Vivek, Vlade and Joerger are working in unison. There wont be major firings come draft time.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
I think I read somewhere the older guys who shoot late tend to not shot well in the NBA. May not apply but Bridges seems a lot like Justin Jackson to me. If we don’t take well he could be our best choice however
Ahhh, Bridges shot 54.9 % overall, and 39.3% from the three last season, so he's not a one year wonder. The biggest difference in his offensive game this year, is his ability to create off the dribble, and that he attacks the basket more, especially on close outs. Plus he added a post up game to his bag of tricks. He's one year older than Kawhi Leonard was when he was drafted. Leonard, who has become a very good 3pt shooter, shot 20.5% and 29.1% his two years at San Diego St. What most scouts said, was that Leonard was pretty good freethrow shooter, and that usually translates into being a good three pt shooter. Leonard shot an average of 74% from the line his two years in college.

Just so you know, Bridges shot 91.1% from the line last year, and so far this season he's shooting 83%. There's absolutely nothing that points to him not being a good shooter in the NBA. If you look at his form, it's excellent. The reason I like him so much is that he's a fundamentally good player, which is hard to find anymore. He pays attention to details. It's why he reminds me a of Kawhi Leonard. I wouldn't take him in my top five, but beyond that, he's certainly in consideration.

Ahhh, Bridges shot 54.9 % overall, and 39.3% from the three last season, so he's not a one year wonder. The biggest difference in his offensive game this year, is his ability to create off the dribble, and that he attacks the basket more, especially on close outs. Plus he added a post up game to his bag of tricks. He's one year older than Kawhi Leonard was when he was drafted. Leonard, who has become a very good 3pt shooter, shot 20.5% and 29.1% his two years at San Diego St. What most scouts said, was that Leonard was pretty good freethrow shooter, and that usually translates into being a good three pt shooter. Leonard shot an average of 74% from the line his two years in college.

Just so you know, Bridges shot 91.1% from the line last year, and so far this season he's shooting 83%. There's absolutely nothing that points to him not being a good shooter in the NBA. If you look at his form, it's excellent. The reason I like him so much is that he's a fundamentally good player, which is hard to find anymore. He pays attention to details. It's why he reminds me a of Kawhi Leonard. I wouldn't take him in my top five, but beyond that, he's certainly in consideration.
Yeah we aren’t too far apart. I like him more than the other Bridges but after:
Ayton
Doncic
Bagley
Jackson

Porter (back) and Bamba (skill set) I’m not sure about. Bridges is in that next set but if I think I can get Hezonja I might roll the dice with Porter or Bamba prior to Bridges.