What's up with Bogi?

SacTownKid

Hall of Famer
The biggest issue is role. I think it's clear they are wanting him to be a bit like Buddy was last year off the bench. Bogdan is one of the only players on that bench that can create his own shot. It's an adjustment for him to say the least. He's more of a do it all type than a run scorer so we're seeing a bit of an odd feeling out process from him.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
It's John Galt's clever (or not so clever) way of complaining about Kings fans complaining about Bogi. I'd also assume he's mad that this thread even exists.
He's not the only one more than a little perturbed. It never fails. The Kings have a good to great game and a very small group of fans will still find something to whine/complain about or question. It's quite frankly a real buzz kill.

He's not the only one more than a little perturbed. It never fails. The Kings have a good to great game and a very small group of fans will still find something to whine/complain about or question. It's quite frankly a real buzz kill.
I'm sorry if you took this thread as whining. I'm pretty happy we beat the Sixers, but in that game Bogi did not shoot or play well at all. You might even say that this is the best time to start the thread because even in a great kings win Bogi continued his recent poor play.

So I started the thread to see what people think is causing the poor shooting, shot selection etc. I know some think he's being misused and so I'm interested to see how they think he should be used. Why is such a good team player like Bogi suddenly taking pullup contested 3s without even passing the ball once? This is by no means meant to be a bash Bogi thread, and if you look at the responses here nobody has done that.

Can you imagine if the team had the same attitude of "optimism"? Does the team not have to watch game tape because they won? Does Joerger not point out room for improvement?

"Hey Buddy look here you should have rotated on D"
"Geez Dave stop being such a buzz kill I got 30 points just enjoy the win man"

SLAB

Hall of Famer
“We’re better than expected, so complaining is just buzzkills” is a horrible take.

I’ll stop complaining when we’re the Warriors. There’s room for improvement, and I’m not going to let an great season so far put the blinders on it.

Just cause we’re complaining doesn’t mean we don’t know what’s going on. It also doesn’t mean we can’t expect more.

If some of the stat geeks (using the term endearingly :D) could give us some picture of how Bogi has been performing that would be great. See if it holds up to the eye test

Bogdan is fine. He will be OK. He's still showing that he's a damn good player and this year he's not afraid to shoot which is good.

“We’re better than expected, so complaining is just buzzkills” is a horrible take.

I’ll stop complaining when we’re the Warriors. There’s room for improvement, and I’m not going to let an great season so far put the blinders on it.

Just cause we’re complaining doesn’t mean we don’t know what’s going on. It also doesn’t mean we can’t expect more.
I think part of the "issue" is we used to have post game threads/grades where critique was common and expected.

Now it's all merged together in the game day thread.

What's really interesting about this team right now is that they really haven't played more than 1 or 2 'A' games over the last month and they are still playing just above .500 ball. Last night against the 76ers I'd say they played a 'B' to 'B+' type game and that's actually encouraging that they didn't play their best and still beat a really good team. Obviously they're shattering pre-season expectations but this team still has a lot more to offer.

Over the last three to four weeks:

Fox has been up and down
Bogi has been mostly down with poor FG %
Shumpert has been garbage offensively
Beli has been mostly down with an occasional good game
Jackson is back in a shooting slump and has been mostly down offensively

Yet the team is still winning. That should be reason for optimism. Multiple rotation players are playing poorly offensively yet the team has not fallen apart.
Its worth mentioning the 6ers were without Reddick - a pretty big miss, but the Kings will take whatever fortune comes their way.....and the more encouraging sign was the Kings defensive showing was one of the better performances of the year playing hard against Jimmy Butler. Also FTs seem to be a little better more recently. On the flip side their offense especially compared to early season has become sloppier, rushed and turnover prone.

To me it looks like he hit that game winner, tried to up his entire skill set up a notch and is now less cerebral and less consistent.

Predict we will have old Bogi back after the All Star break.
I think Bogi’s game is impacted by whom he plays with. We need to see more of Bogi with Giles/Beli and less of Bogi with Bagley/WCS

It's so strange on here sometimes. Just because this team is finally winning doesn't mean we as fans aren't allowed to complain about players who are playing poorly, talk about their bad performances and look for areas of improvement/opportunity.

It's as if winning negates our right to question these types of things.

Yes, we are playing great ball, and yes it's very refreshing to watch considering all the years of misery.

But that doesn't mean players are excluded from criticism. We are allowed to like our team and ask questions at the same time. What's the point of a message board if we're not going to discuss both the good and bad?

Bogi has been playing poorly, and someone is asking why. That's it. C'mon now.
I think when you say Bogi has been playing poorly some of that depends on whom he is playing with. He played great against Atlanta because he and Giles are always on the same page. Meanwhile the lack of spacing that results when when Bagley/WCS play together hurts Bogi’s game more than anyone.

Half of Bogi’s game is centered in his Brain and his BBIQ. Put him on the court with other high IQ players like Giles, Beli, Yogi and Jackson and it’s more than simply additive.

Its worth mentioning the 6ers were without Reddick - a pretty big miss, but the Kings will take whatever fortune comes their way.....and the more encouraging sign was the Kings defensive showing was one of the better performances of the year playing hard against Jimmy Butler.
We can't control that. Get your wins when you can and as much as you can. Take advantage of every situation. If the Sixers chose to sit Reddick this game, sounds like a Sixers problem. ;)

I think what is wrong with Bogi is toxic negativity. The thing with him is that no matter how well things are going for him, he just searches all the more for something to gripe about.

Like if he expected X, and his wildest dream was 2X, and his actual reality is 3X ...... BOGI would find a way to whine and complain that he wasn't getting 4X because of some nitpick deficiency on the part of a teammate, GM, coach, or imaginary draft pick he didn't get.

And while 75% of his peers are enjoying their 3X season... BOGI is gonna fuss and snark and complain about whatever he can come up with. For example, if he hypothetically made a miracle rainbow 3 buzzer beater over an outstretched hand to beat the Lakers... he would still whine and cry about how he misses several of those on other less crucial occasions. And he will do it EVEN AS THE TEAM THRIVES like nobody imagined they would.

So the thing with Bogi is, he will never ever ever ever ever ever ever ever stop complaining.

And that's what's wrong with Bogi.
You may have Bogs confused with a former player on our roster. Bogs has one of the easiest and warmest smiles in interviews. He has a soft spoken and considerate manner. How does that fit with your "toxic negativity" narrative? Being a perfectionist, which is what you are implying, or more accurately a player who pursues perfection, knowing it cannot be attained only aspired to, is what allows a person to rise to the highests of levels in their chosen field. You don't think Curry, Harden and LeBron are "perfectionists" too and demanding of themselves and others. Your theory is baseless.

This is what I think is going on with Bogs. Am I the only one who noticed that Joerger has taken Bogs off the ball lately? Bogs is not running PG as predominantly over the last 2-3 games. I think this is an effort by Joerger to address the offensive struggles we had in January as a team and Bogs specifically. Last time I checked Bogs was 54% TS%. His skill level after 56% TS% as a rookie with normal growth who put him closer to 58% TS%. It would be great if Boggy could run PG and still score at a highly efficient level. That hasn't quite worked as well as planned.

So Bogs now is looking more for his shot. And he is pressing a little. But the shots others categorize as forced are shots he can make when he is in his groove. He is not there but the only way to get there is keep shooting. Think about this. If Bogs was 18 PPG on 60% TS% for 1-2 months with 2-3 assists versus 15 PPG on 54% TS% with 4-5 assists are we not suddenly a much more formidable team? Then even without a trade we can maybe get that 8th spot. Then we have that 1-2 punch with Buddy and Bogs and trailing close on their heels Bagley who is going to give us 15 PPG pretty much on an average game for him.

We need a trade to become legitimate contender for a playoff spot. We need Lin. I would like us to get Marc Gasol too because I think the transition would be seamless and our half-court offense, a weakness, would suddenly become a strength. In the meantime Bogs needs to establish himself as a 40-45% three point shooter to open up his game. He is on par with Buddy as a deep shooter but you certainly wouldn't know it by their respective performances. So the plan I think is to put the ball more in the hands of Yogi as backup PG, let Bogs focus on getting his scoring game untracked, hope that we can acquire Lin by Thursday to further define roles aligned with the skill level and challenge level to make the postseason.

Don't blow it Vlade, make me proud!

You may have Bogs confused with a former player on our roster. Bogs has one of the easiest and warmest smiles in interviews. He has a soft spoken and considerate manner. How does that fit with your "toxic negativity" narrative? Being a perfectionist, which is what you are implying, or more accurately a player who pursues perfection, knowing it cannot be attained only aspired to, is what allows a person to rise to the highests of levels in their chosen field. You don't think Curry, Harden and LeBron are "perfectionists" too and demanding of themselves and others. Your theory is baseless.
dizzying intellect, clearly

hrdboild

Hall of Famer
I'm just annoyed af at the fan base on facebook, twitter and here - in general... I can't believe the negativity. it's not literally about Bogi. And maybe I just need more coffee

his foot got hurt - he's playing a little hurt imo that's all. He is my favorite player.
You could try just letting it go. :)

The negativity bothers me too but we are coming out of a long dark tunnel here. It'll pass in time or if it doesn't, the few still clinging to the darkness will become easy enough to ignore as their numbers diminish.

Just not a consistent scorer. Very hot and cold, careless with the ball, no real ball handling. Sorry Bogi I love your post up game but there is still a ways to go. GO KINGS!

I'm just annoyed af at the fan base on facebook, twitter and here - in general... I can't believe the negativity. it's not literally about Bogi. And maybe I just need more coffee

his foot got hurt - he's playing a little hurt imo that's all. He is my favorite player.
Well you would have added a lot more to the discussion had you just said the bolded part to you know, answer the question. No one's dumping on him, he's been shooting poorly and taking some bad shots. That's fact. Why is the whole point of the thread.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
Dude is broken right now... he’s not close to the player he was last season. Idk if it’s injury, fatigue or what...

The way Bogi is playing right now is pretty disturbing. His shot selection is very questionable, his percentages are terrible and it's been like that for a while now.
With Barnes coming into rotation, I can only see Bogi's playing time going down, especially in the last minutes of the game.

I'm not sure if this slump came as a result of that injury he had at the beginning of the season, but he needs to pull himself together ASAP. I refuse to believe that he's not capable of scoring 15+ points on a nightly basis. Hope Joerger can help him out a little bit too