What's up with Bogi?

Bogi for the most part has underwhelmed this season, and it's not only the stats but his shot selection that looks really suspect.

Why do you guys think this is so? Is he being misused, bothered by injury? What's up with the bogus shot selection?

The shot selection isn’t really the problem IMO. Every guy on the team takes their share of WTF shots per game. I’m happy his usage is up and he’s come in with more scoring focus. Last season I thought he was overly patient and passive to a fault. Almost like pump fake Bjeli at times. Problem is he’s missing a lot of good shots. I find myself wondering why he’s missing so many good shots more than the shots he taking.

I wouldn’t say he has underwhelmed. I’m not sure what everybody really expected but 15-4-4 as a reserve shouldering the load of primary scoring option off the bench(and third on the team overall), primary ball handler on most nights while many times covering for 3 positions isn’t what I’d call underwhelming.

Kayte mentioned a foot problem he’s been battling all season a while ago that he hasn’t taken any time off for. It might explain why he’s not being able to create as many open shots for himself in the midrange and is perhaps “settling” for too many threes. Still, he’s missing a lot of open threes and theyre coming up short which comes from lift which might means Kayte is probably right

I also think the second unit needs another ball handler to take some of the load off of Bogdan. Yogi is a solid player but I’m personally a fan of the idea of getting a Jeremy Lin or a more pure point guard/playmaker to play with Bogdans second unit.

Last edited:
Needs to mix up spot up shooting with creating for himself/others, maybe Dave needs to try mix up the line up's a bit more and have him play slightly more with our other playmakers.

Yeah his shooting is pretty concerning. Luckily he’s such a good facilitator that it makes up for it somewhat. He just needs to play within his strengths instead of thinking he’s James harden and can hit the step back 3 with a hand in his face.

By design or otherwise, his priority has been shooting long range this season. Way too good a player to minimize his talent like that. Other problem I see is that he's lost a step of quickness either from preseason injury or recent issues.

He's better than he's showing lately, and that's a drag.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
he takes and makes tough shots and he is a streaky shooter to boot so at any point in time in the game he can catch fire, it's just the type of player he is. the shot selection at times makes you scratch your head and it's definitely not something we are accustomed to considering how passive he was in his first season here, it seems Joerger has given him the green light for the second unit.

Think he will be fine. The knee in offseason plus this foot issue are probably the explanation for the drop on percentage. Think he will be fine.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
I'm disappointed in his play, maybe because of all the Bogs hype. Last year he was tired because of his european league play and that's why he didn't play that great. This year it's injuries. He's looking better than average, but not a whole lot better. I'd like to know when we're going to see a stretch of say 20 games or more when we can really see the fine shooter that everybody thought they were getting. Right about now would be nice, as the Kings are in the heart of a playoff hunt. While he's going through major shooting woes he's overdribbling the ball and not moving without the ball, which hurts the offense overall. His defense has been pretty mediocre. He doesn't really get you the rebounds you'd want nor loose balls for that matter. He does provide some nice passing sometimes and he can post his man, which is a plus.

Bogdan is a skilled player but he gets out quicked a lot by opposing players.
His only real weakness on offense is he loves the dribble.
I like watching him play.

His playmaking is vital to the second unit but his shot selection has been pretty bad. He tends to pound the air out of the ball at times too. Bagley is coming into his own, but Bogi is still the only real serious scoring threat off the bench, so he can sometimes be the deciding factor in games.

He needs to relax, take a step back and try and get some more open looks. Maybe I just happen to tune in when he's missing shots, but I feel like he misses them most at critical times when we need a bucket to stave off a comeback.

I think he will be fine but he needs to get back on track.

I really prefer when he’s a playmaker/facilitator and uses his craftiness to get to the hoop.

I really don’t like the new iso happy deep three chucker Bogi.
Right but when playing with WCS and Bagley they are both hanging around the lane with no room for Bogi. Iso deep 3’s are all that’s left and that’s not Bogi’s game

I think the only problem is that we don't have a legitimate playmaker, so we're forcing Bogdan to be our backup PG. He's a good playmaker, but we're asking him to create play for his teammates, create plays for himself, and score. It's a lot on his shoulders. I don't think we have a legitimate shot creator in the 2nd unit. No one can really create their own shot outside of Bogi which adds even more pressure. Give Bogdan a primary playmaker and I think we'll see his efficiency go up. He's just being asked to do too much.

I think what is wrong with Bogi is toxic negativity. The thing with him is that no matter how well things are going for him, he just searches all the more for something to gripe about.

Like if he expected X, and his wildest dream was 2X, and his actual reality is 3X ...... BOGI would find a way to whine and complain that he wasn't getting 4X because of some nitpick deficiency on the part of a teammate, GM, coach, or imaginary draft pick he didn't get.

And while 75% of his peers are enjoying their 3X season... BOGI is gonna fuss and snark and complain about whatever he can come up with. For example, if he hypothetically made a miracle rainbow 3 buzzer beater over an outstretched hand to beat the Lakers... he would still whine and cry about how he misses several of those on other less crucial occasions. And he will do it EVEN AS THE TEAM THRIVES like nobody imagined they would.

So the thing with Bogi is, he will never ever ever ever ever ever ever ever stop complaining.

And that's what's wrong with Bogi.

The shot selection isn’t really the problem IMO. Every guy on the team takes their share of WTF shots per game. I’m happy his usage is up and he’s come in with more scoring focus. Last season I thought he was overly patient and passive to a fault. Almost like pump fake Bjeli at times. Problem is he’s missing a lot of good shots. I find myself wondering why he’s missing so many good shots more than the shots he taking.

I wouldn’t say he has underwhelmed. I’m not sure what everybody really expected but 15-4-4 as a reserve shouldering the load of primary scoring option off the bench(and third on the team overall), primary ball handler on most nights while many times covering for 3 positions isn’t what I’d call underwhelming.

Kayte mentioned a foot problem he’s been battling all season a while ago that he hasn’t taken any time off for. It might explain why he’s not being able to create as many open shots for himself in the midrange and is perhaps “settling” for too many threes. Still, he’s missing a lot of open threes and theyre coming up short which comes from lift which might means Kayte is probably right

I also think the second unit needs another ball handler to take some of the load off of Bogdan. Yogi is a solid player but I’m personally a fan of the idea of getting a Jeremy Lin or a more pure point guard/playmaker to play with Bogdans second unit.
Well said

I’m sure he’ll be fine, but I’ve also been wondering what’s up with his decision making lately. I want my old flawless Bogi back. Will be key for our playoff push.

I think what is wrong with Bogi is toxic negativity. The thing with him is that no matter how well things are going for him, he just searches all the more for something to gripe about.

Like if he expected X, and his wildest dream was 2X, and his actual reality is 3X ...... BOGI would find a way to whine and complain that he wasn't getting 4X because of some nitpick deficiency on the part of a teammate, GM, coach, or imaginary draft pick he didn't get.

And while 75% of his peers are enjoying their 3X season... BOGI is gonna fuss and snark and complain about whatever he can come up with. For example, if he hypothetically made a miracle rainbow 3 buzzer beater over an outstretched hand to beat the Lakers... he would still whine and cry about how he misses several of those on other less crucial occasions. And he will do it EVEN AS THE TEAM THRIVES like nobody imagined they would.

So the thing with Bogi is, he will never ever ever ever ever ever ever ever stop complaining.

This is a terrible take

CF1CF18B-5FD1-49BD-BA1B-D66A251D6AF0.gif

Where the heck is this coming from? I don’t hear Bogi complain ever?

To me it looks like he hit that game winner, tried to up his entire skill set up a notch and is now less cerebral and less consistent.

Predict we will have old Bogi back after the All Star break.

I'm just annoyed af at the fan base on facebook, twitter and here - in general... I can't believe the negativity. it's not literally about Bogi. And maybe I just need more coffee

his foot got hurt - he's playing a little hurt imo that's all. He is my favorite player.
Thank god. I thought it was the fact I needed more coffee since I couldn’t decipher if you were being sarcastic or not lol

I'm just annoyed af at the fan base on facebook, twitter and here - in general... I can't believe the negativity. it's not literally about Bogi. And maybe I just need more coffee
Lame. In this case with Bogi it's not negativity, everybody is happy with how the Kings played last night and how they have played this season.

At the same time Bogi has not been as good this season and especially over the last few weeks. His last 5 games in particular he's only shoot .333 FG% from the field. This is not negativity it's a fact and some people are trying to figure out why.

He's still one of my Top-3 favorite players in the Kings and one of my favorite players in the league because he's so smooth and smart on the court. He's also clutch as hell and makes his teammates better. With all that being said he hasn't played very well lately and his shot selection has been terrible. That's not negativity that's just acknowledging the obvious. The numbers don't lie. It's called being objective and not just being a blind homer........."we won so everything is 100% perfect no matter what........"

What's the point of a message board if you can't critique players? See how many people post here if you are only allowed to post 100% positive stuff all the time. I'm guessing traffic would be pretty slow around here.

In the case of Bogi I think just about everyone likes him a lot but just about all of us see that he's not playing as well as he could be.

Last edited:

SLAB

Hall of Famer
As I said in the game thread; Being better than expected doesn’t make the team bulletproof. We’re not complaining just to complain my dude. We can see the team can be even better, which is where this comes from.

It's so strange on here sometimes. Just because this team is finally winning doesn't mean we as fans aren't allowed to complain about players who are playing poorly, talk about their bad performances and look for areas of improvement/opportunity.

It's as if winning negates our right to question these types of things.

Yes, we are playing great ball, and yes it's very refreshing to watch considering all the years of misery.

But that doesn't mean players are excluded from criticism. We are allowed to like our team and ask questions at the same time. What's the point of a message board if we're not going to discuss both the good and bad?

Bogi has been playing poorly, and someone is asking why. That's it. C'mon now.

lol, I like it! yes we do tend to over-complain on this board and there is no denying that (guilty like the rest of us).

that said, Bogdan is not playing as well as he could. some of the reasons are listed by @Kingz19 and @206Fan. In one stint on the floor he will play 3 positions: He will come in for Buddy and play SG and secondary playmaker, Yogi will come in for Fox and he moves to PG and primary handler, and then Buddy and Fox come back and now he is the SF. That is a lot to do and I think sometimes he cannot get into a rhythm as his role changes multiple times while he is on the floor. Same thing on the defensive end, he does not have time to "figure out" his cover cause it changes depending on who he is on the floor with so much.

All things considered he is doing well. As @Kingz19 said 15, 4, 4 is not bad. hopefully his shooting will come around and the efficiency with which he gets those numbers will increase.

My sarcasm was misplaced - poorly timed. It’s keto brain damage sorry

I unrealistically expected a parade of happiness after Sixers win - that’s all. It was an over the top exciting win and I thought we would float on a cloud till Monday v Spurs.
What's really interesting about this team right now is that they really haven't played more than 1 or 2 'A' games over the last month and they are still playing just above .500 ball. Last night against the 76ers I'd say they played a 'B' to 'B+' type game and that's actually encouraging that they didn't play their best and still beat a really good team. Obviously they're shattering pre-season expectations but this team still has a lot more to offer.

Over the last three to four weeks:

Fox has been up and down
Bogi has been mostly down with poor FG %
Shumpert has been garbage offensively
Beli has been mostly down with an occasional good game
Jackson is back in a shooting slump and has been mostly down offensively

Yet the team is still winning. That should be reason for optimism. Multiple rotation players are playing poorly offensively yet the team has not fallen apart.