What's happened to WCS?

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
I would love to know what the catalyst was to get him hustling. He's just got to keep it up. He will never be the kind of player who can rest on laurels. He's got to bring it every game.
Based off the quotes above, he was sick of hearing people telling him to rebound so he did it so they would "shut the hell up".

Last night he was a poor finisher. Some good moves and no points. With his physical skills he should be jamming the ball anytime he gets close to the rim. He needs to work on the feet. Pappa is much worse with his feet. Coaching can easily fix that kind of stuff. It adds 8-10 points to the offense right there without doing anything else.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
"I’m just going after them now,” Cauley-Stein said. “Before I’d just go after the ones that come to my side, and then I used to let the guards take the rebounds so they could just go. I got tired of people telling me about rebounding and (expletive), so now I just go get rebounds so they can shut the hell up.”

Read more here: http://www.sacbee.com/sports/nba/sacramento-kings/kings-blog/article142273399.html#storylink=cpy
Good. Then I and every other fan who was all over his a$$ for not rebounding can take some credit! :D

Kingster

Hall of Famer
Last night he was a poor finisher. Some good moves and no points. With his physical skills he should be jamming the ball anytime he gets close to the rim. He needs to work on the feet. Pappa is much worse with his feet. Coaching can easily fix that kind of stuff. It adds 8-10 points to the offense right there without doing anything else.
This is next thing for WCS. Hey, WCS, you're a lousy finisher; you're bricking easy chippies. Finish, man, finish. Go strong and finish!

With Rebounding, upper-body strength and bulk comes into play, and Cauley-Stein does not have that body-type. Its not an excuse in and of itself, but an explanation; he could definitely improve by hitting the weight room for 10 lbs of muscle in the off-season. Bulking up is always a risky proposition though because of the wear/tear on the knees/back.

With Rebounding, upper-body strength and bulk comes into play, and Cauley-Stein does not have that body-type. Its not an excuse in and of itself, but an explanation; he could definitely improve by hitting the weight room for 10 lbs of muscle in the off-season. Bulking up is always a risky proposition though because of the wear/tear on the knees/back.
In his post game interview he said he was going to be doing Navy seal training over the summer. He also said he was going to work on the mental part of his game.

While strength and bulk can be beneficial when rebounding, I don't think they are necessary. Moses Malone, Dennis Rodman, and Anthony Davis all were/are great rebounders. And none of them are bulky or overly strong.

Rebounding is about technique, desire, and natural instincts. The first 2 are on the player. The latter is something you either have or don't have.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Do you pretty much make this same comment every time this situation comes up?
LOL.. Well, this is quite rich -- you asking posing this question to @Tetsujin given that you post the same 'ol nonsense directed at Cousins every chance you get.

Pot meet kettle.
Only difference being my comments about DMC are actually accurate and relevant.
Now, back to our regularly scheduled topic...

WCS is looking focused and determined. Good for him, good for the Kings and good for us. :)

Ill keep saying what I have been. WCS is not the norm for 7 footers and I mean that in a positive light. He could be very special for us.

His post game remarks about SEAL training and working on his mental strength this offseason bode well going into year 3. Increased assists and rebounding, tighter defense, surprising turn around fade away 20 footers, the list goes on.

I see strong positives with Willie and Papa backing him up. I saw somewhere Skal mentioning hitting the weights and coming back a different player. Very encouraging front court in our future.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
Ill keep saying what I have been. WCS is not the norm for 7 footers and I mean that in a positive light. He could be very special for us.

His post game remarks about SEAL training and working on his mental strength this offseason bode well going into year 3. Increased assists and rebounding, tighter defense, surprising turn around fade away 20 footers, the list goes on.

I see strong positives with Willie and Papa backing him up. I saw somewhere Skal mentioning hitting the weights and coming back a different player. Very encouraging front court in our future.
So does that mean less promoting of his watches and hats? I'd like to hope so.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
While strength and bulk can be beneficial when rebounding, I don't think they are necessary. Moses Malone, Dennis Rodman, and Anthony Davis all were/are great rebounders. And none of them are bulky or overly strong.

Rebounding is about technique, desire, and natural instincts. The first 2 are on the player. The latter is something you either have or don't have.
Tyson Chandler is another example of a player who wasn't strong or bulky, quick and athletic though.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
That is simply false. Weight training helps strengthen your back and knees...now obviously for a man of his size and frame, overdoing it is a big no no, THEN he would be more prone to knee injuries IMO.

That is simply false. Weight training helps strengthen your back and knees...now obviously for a man of his size and frame, overdoing it is a big no no, THEN he would be more prone to knee injuries IMO.
More muscle means greater body weight, hence the greater loads on joints/back. All the time in sports there is a push/pull with this. You hear athletes wanting become even leaner to address injury/performance implications.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
More muscle means greater body weight, hence the greater loads on joints/back. All the time in sports there is a push/pull with this. You hear athletes wanting become even leaner to address injury/performance implications.
He can put on more muscle so long as it isn't too much for his frame to handle. He is an ectomorph, just like Skal and he can only put on so much muscle so it's all moot anyway. He needs to work on his lower body strength, not just upper so that Navy Seal training ought to do him some good.

Great rebounders work hard for position and have more desire than everyone else. Hand strength is important. Lower body strength helps a lot and so does leaping ability. Willie and Skal are never going to look like Nate Thurmond, but they are vertical players and have good quickness.

For a young man there is a very fine line between a healthy self-trust and being too confident. I'm curious, if Willie can follow this interview up with something countable on the court next season.

Oh my he spoke of that taboo culture :p
Indeed! Gotta keep my pitchfork ready....;)

Willie just talks like he views himself as the centerpiece of this franchise. Talking about Playoffs, about how he thinks he is able to score on everyone and how there is nobody he can't stop, about how his game is similar to Skal's or Papa's.
That are pretty strong statements. Don't mistake me - I would love it, if Willie follows this up on the court. If Willie is able to get his game to the next level, it's great for the Kings.

Willie just talks like he views himself as the centerpiece of this franchise. Talking about Playoffs, about how he thinks he is able to score on everyone and how there is nobody he can't stop, about how his game is similar to Skal's or Papa's.
That are pretty strong statements. Don't mistake me - I would love it, if Willie follows this up on the court. If Willie is able to get his game to the next level, it's great for the Kings.
Yeah you can count me with you in terms of being slightly hesitant when it comes to WCS. The main thing is he has to be willing to work - so hopefully despite all the talk he'll work hard to improve his game and I'll leave his role in coach's hands.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME

In all honesty, I think you're being way too tough on him and microanalysing what he says.

For a young man there is a very fine line between a healthy self-trust and being too confident. I'm curious, if Willie can follow this interview up with something countable on the court next season.
Motor is the question mark so I don't mind the fact that he aims high, keeps his head in it and has him working toward something