What will we name the arena?

I know the discussion here is about the arena and not other railyard and intermodal stuff, but it seems ridiculous to keep using the Depot for Amtrak passengers, making them walk two blocks with their luggage, rather than putting it in one of the historical railyard buildings that are right next to the new tracks. Then use the Depot building for restaraunts and other services since it's right next to the Arena. But overall, this is going to be a model for infill development if this really happens.
The Depot has to remain as a depot. They got 20 million in federal funds to remodel it and retrofit for earthquakes that are tied to it being a certain percentage of transportation use. If it doesn't have a transportation use, they have to give the money back. But no worries... they will have ticketing kiosks, baggage and waiting areas up close the tracks. There will also be light rail and bus station up there too. This satellite facility will probably be used more often and the historic depot will have a mix of retail in there too.

I know the discussion here is about the arena and not other railyard and intermodal stuff, but it seems ridiculous to keep using the Depot for Amtrak passengers, making them walk two blocks with their luggage, rather than putting it in one of the historical railyard buildings that are right next to the new tracks. Then use the Depot building for restaraunts and other services since it's right next to the Arena. But overall, this is going to be a model for infill development if this really happens.
The positioning of the depot to the tracks as it will be, is only a temporary plan and not the ultimate goal. Unfortunately, though, it's going to be awhile before there's a real depot next to those tracks. Southern Pacific just wanted those tracks moved as soon as possible for their freight purposes, is my understanding.

The positioning of the depot to the tracks as it will be, is only a temporary plan and not the ultimate goal. Unfortunately, though, it's going to be awhile before there's a real depot next to those tracks. Southern Pacific just wanted those tracks moved as soon as possible for their freight purposes, is my understanding.
Sometime in 2015 I bet? :)

Glenn

Hall of Famer
This is great. Can I go all helpless on ya'll and get a translation of the color coding. It's probably somewhere on that website but .... please!!!! :) I THINK I know what it all means but want to be sure. Is the Plaza going to be under one roof? What's across from the projected (I presume) tracks where it says Platform? What are those buildings? How close is this to Raley's Field?

I have actually picked up people at the depot and been at the train museum but must say I am largely ignorant of downtown especially anything near the river or Old Sacramento. By the way, how close is Old Sac and the train museum and where are they? It seems that over the decades or maybe within a decade a lot of interconnecting pathways/or whatever could be made to make travel between all these things easier (if necessary). If the light rail already will do that, never mind. I realize they are all relatively close but are they close enough so a person could park their car and walk to see them all?

I'll get out Google Earth to try to make sense of it but there is no guaranteeing I'll really get it. BTW, in all my bragging about St. Paul's complex which consisted of far more touristy and interesting things like several museums, hotels, and the like, this is really getting there. And, St. Paul doesn't have a train museum so this is much closer to matching that then I thought. Now that there is a map and not just a picture of the Orlando arena with Sacramento printed across the front, it is all a lot more exciting.

I can see that over time, if any convention center, music circus like thing, museum, theater, etc. needs upgrading, they will want to be nearby as all entertainment-like facilities will feed people to each other and the easier that is accomplished, the better.

Wow! When you think of the income this could bring Sacramento, how can you be against it? I realize there still is a very small town mentality, but let those folks just stay away and benefit from the money inflow to the area. :) And, for those who are Kings fans, it will make acquiring free agents easier. If it eventually attracts more industry to the area, that benefits the Kings also. Just getting selfish. Industries want their employees to live in a community that is more interesting than Sacramento and may also want luxury suites.

Or maybe this is off topic.

Last edited:
K

Kingsguy881

The walk from the ESC would be around 8 blocks maybe to get to Old Sac and the train musuem/riverwalk. The next 5 years are going to bring some serious changes/upgrades to that whole area. No idea what the platform is for but I know on the other side of the FWY right there is some kind of structure thing over looking the river, don't know what it is, but maybe the platform is to be able to go over to that thing. I would imagine there will be a lot of restaurants built up on the other side of the FWY on the river much like the restaurants out on Garden HWY (Chevys on the river, Crawdads etc).

Glenn

Hall of Famer
The walk from the ESC would be around 8 blocks maybe to get to Old Sac and the train musuem/riverwalk. The next 5 years are going to bring some serious changes/upgrades to that whole area. No idea what the platform is for but I know on the other side of the FWY right there is some kind of structure thing over looking the river, don't know what it is, but maybe the platform is to be able to go over to that thing. I would imagine there will be a lot of restaurants built up on the other side of the FWY on the river much like the restaurants out on Garden HWY (Chevys on the river, Crawdads etc).
I'm going to start a new thread.

This is great. Can I go all helpless on ya'll and get a translation of the color coding. It's probably somewhere on that website but .... please!!!! :) I THINK I know what it all means but want to be sure. Is the Plaza going to be under one roof? What's across from the projected (I presume) tracks where it says Platform? What are those buildings? How close is this to Raley's Field?

I have actually picked up people at the depot and been at the train museum but must say I am largely ignorant of downtown especially anything near the river or Old Sacramento. By the way, how close is Old Sac and the train museum and where are they? It seems that over the decades or maybe within a decade a lot of interconnecting pathways/or whatever could be made to make travel between all these things easier (if necessary). If the light rail already will do that, never mind. I realize they are all relatively close but are they close enough so a person could park their car and walk to see them all?

I'll get out Google Earth to try to make sense of it but there is no guaranteeing I'll really get it. BTW, in all my bragging about St. Paul's complex which consisted of far more touristy and interesting things like several museums, hotels, and the like, this is really getting there. And, St. Paul doesn't have a train museum so this is much closer to matching that then I thought. Now that there is a map and not just a picture of the Orlando arena with Sacramento printed across the front, it is all a lot more exciting.

I can see that over time, if any convention center, music circus like thing, museum, theater, etc. needs upgrading, they will want to be nearby as all entertainment-like facilities will feed people to each other and the easier that is accomplished, the better.

Wow! When you think of the income this could bring Sacramento, how can you be against it? I realize there still is a very small town mentality, but let those folks just stay away and benefit from the money inflow to the area. :) And, for those who are Kings fans, it will make acquiring free agents easier. If it eventually attracts more industry to the area, that benefits the Kings also. Just getting selfish. Industries want their employees to live in a community that is more interesting than Sacramento and may also want luxury suites.

Or maybe this is off topic.
The train museum is on the other side (kitty corner) of the freeway along with old sac. So basically about 2-3 blocks walk.

The city is also talking about adding street cars in a separate project to connect west sac, cal exp and other areas that light rail doesn't reach.

Last edited:
Look again !! your basically crossing the street and going under I5 to get from the depot to old sac.

Old Sac is not too far. Walking distance for most people. Your guess is as good as mine as to what the plaza is going to look like. But I do know that it was suggested by ULI that it remain open for views of downtown and of the historic rail yards building. This was first time I've found anything outside of the ICON/Taylor design from last May. This might be something like last September when they started the EIR.

The historic buildings are supposed to house another train museum. This one is based on train technology. Those buildings are all going to stay and be restored and turned into tourism, retail, dining, etc. This area is going to be connected to the ESC plaza via underground tunnel.

My favorite part of the term sheet:

"Naming Rights: Any name proposed to be associated with the ESC shall be tasteful and not to be a cause for embarrassment to the City..."

So no Astroglide Arena unfortunately.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
My favorite part of the term sheet:

"Naming Rights: Any name proposed to be associated with the ESC shall be tasteful and not to be a cause for embarrassment to the City..."

So no Astroglide Arena unfortunately.
Like PBP. Their product is a scam and makes us look silly.

Spike

Subsidiary Intermediary
Staff member
As amusing as the ClownFart™ Coliseum sounds, I really do like the Comcast center. Who do we talk to in order to make it happen? I assume if they want to re-negotiate the contract up to league standard, that naming rights might be on the table, no?

Like PBP. Their product is a scam and makes us look silly.
I sure wouldn't use Astroglie as an arena name and I think it would violate the "tasteful" clause, but it is not a scam product. I won't go into details, but it was developed over 30 years ago for a very specific medical problem for women. PM me if you'd like to know more and how I know this.

Spike

Subsidiary Intermediary
Staff member
I sure wouldn't use Astroglie as an arena name and I think it would violate the "tasteful" clause, but it is not a scam product. I won't go into details, but it was developed over 30 years ago for a very specific medical problem for women. PM me if you'd like to know more and how I know this.
I think Glenn meant that PBP is a scam and a silly product. Not so much with Astroglide...although I really am having a tough time taking the high road with this one for much longer. Pretty soon the puns will sl...OK, I'm out.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
I think Glenn meant that PBP is a scam and a silly product. Not so much with Astroglide...although I really am having a tough time taking the high road with this one for much longer. Pretty soon the puns will sl...OK, I'm out.
It's what I said, didn't I? Power Balance is a scam. Pronouns leave too many options in communicating, don't they?