What will we name the arena?

Well the AEG group is forking over 60 million. They will be the operators so, it only seems logical "AEG Arena"

And regardless of what the ACTUAL name of the arena is, it will most definitely always be referred to as "The House that KJ Built"

Last edited:
Well the AEG group is forking over 60 million. They will be the operators so, it only seems logical "AEG Arena"

And regardless of what the ACTUAL name of the arena is, it will most definitely always be referred to as "The House that KJ Built"
If that was part of the deal. They are paying to be the operator of the arena. Naming rights could bring in even more money for the long term. Not sure if the city or AEG will have the right to sell naming rights.

Perhaps...

"(Sponsor Name) Palace at The Railyards"

i.e.

"Comcast Palace at the Railyards"

that might end up getting shortened to just "The Palace"... not to confuse with that thing outside of Detroit though.

I also think the exact name might depend on the style they go with... if they make it kinda chic... then Palace could work. If they make it more sporty or artsy or what have you... might need another word... Good things.

Last edited:
Being a history buff, I'm a bit partial to a design that complements the existing railyards structures and the adjacent train station-- lots of bricks, arched windows, etc. Similar to Conseco Fieldhouse (or whatever they're calling it now) in Indianapolis, or even the streetside facade of AT&T park. Something that fits in to the neighborhood rather than stands out like a sore thumb. Adding "At the Railyards" to the name would be a nice touch. The drawings they've released so far are stunning, but in a Staples Center kind of way. Completely different kind of approach-- the arena in Kansas City is fantastic looking as well, and I know that some people want that kind of look. But what will it look like in 20 years? Will it look like like a dated strip mall (like Arco does), or will it still look like classic old Sacramento?

Being a history buff, I'm a bit partial to a design that complements the existing railyards structures and the adjacent train station-- lots of bricks, arched windows, etc. Similar to Conseco Fieldhouse (or whatever they're calling it now) in Indianapolis, or even the streetside facade of AT&T park. Something that fits in to the neighborhood rather than stands out like a sore thumb. Adding "At the Railyards" to the name would be a nice touch. The drawings they've released so far are stunning, but in a Staples Center kind of way. Completely different kind of approach-- the arena in Kansas City is fantastic looking as well, and I know that some people want that kind of look. But what will it look like in 20 years? Will it look like like a dated strip mall (like Arco does), or will it still look like classic old Sacramento?
I tend to agree that it has to take into account it's surroundings. I know they want a lot of glass to show off the cool lighting and busy events inside. Maybe they can combine that in some way.

Nationwide Arena sort of does that and it looks great:

Good point a old school look might be better.

They do want the activity inside to be visible from the street, to create a street energy. I would like it to fit in, too, though. I know the Maloofs at one time wanted to have the inside be a reflection of Sacramento's rail history. Maybe they'll keep that.

They do have a budget, now estimated at $391 million, so that has to be kept in mind. Taylor/ICON have agreed to absorb any cost overruns. It's a great incentive to keep on budget and on time (there's almost always financial penalties for going past the contracted completion time). The downside to that is it usually means the contractor gets to keep any money not used, if they come in under budget. Hopefully, the city and architect make sure they get at least the quality planned for in that budget.

Last edited:
The downside to that is it usually means the contractor gets to keep any money not used, if they come in under budget. Hopefully, the city and architect make sure they get at least the quality planned for in that budget.
Its usually around 10% but when your talking big bucks thats a heck of % still. This is not smelL.A or NY I would like a design on the outside with more character on the outside and 1st class on the inside.

Last edited:
I'm all for the historical look and touch. But I'd like to see it married nicely to a modern look. I'm seeing a lot of brick, a lot of (clear) glass, and some very cool and perhaps colored lighting (that could change to match the event), and also maybe some palm trees or other nice natural feature, perhaps a cool *** water feature that would tie in with the river somehow.

On the inside, I can see a similar melding of old and new. Photos of the old railyards or riverboas or gold rush images displayed in creative ways. Faux (or re-purposed, even better) exposed brick, maybe taking some from the existing site itself, but the whole interior and interior/exterior should for sure have a very open, light, and and clear feeling. That Nationwide center didn't do that. Big arches with long sightlines... though glass that connects two or more spaces. Like perhaps being on one of the concourses and being able to peak into the arena bowl in one direction, and peak out to the street/skyline/or river in another direction. Would be great also if there was a way for passers by to actually get a peak of the bowl/crowd (not the floor of course!!) by walking by on street or other (walking bridge? outer concourse?) levels.

The whole feel should definitely be historical and contextual, but the feeling should be light, airy, colorful, creative, engaging, lively, and modern.

Also I think there's a neat chance to connect Sac's gold rush history with the a King/gold theme somehow. That would have to be an artistic creation somehow. And not lamee uniforms or whatever that incredible miss was.

Damn I shoulda been a designer, no?

Last edited:
Just as an added observation. The concept design drawings we've been shown was a rush job as part of the ICON/Taylor proposal. It was before the city and Urban Land Institute did their technical reviews last July. Their findings came back with a number of suggested changes. Of which they urged the moving of the ESC as far west towards the I-5 northbound on ramp as much as possible and a 21st century design that respected the historic context of the site. They also recommend excavating the ESC site so as not tower over the historic buildings. While I don't really think they can afford the extra 10 million or so to excavate the site, the other two suggestions can be done with just design adjustments.

There are supposed to be some new drawings released earlier in February. Featuring a new look with the ESC moved west and the new Intermodal buildings added. But for whatever reason they were not ready for the public to see. The excuse was they were not to accurate scale.

So bottom line is the stuff you've seen has already been changed and probably will again in the real design phase starting in a few months.

Warhawk

Give blood and save a life!
Staff member
I'm all for the historical look and touch. But I'd like to see it married nicely to a modern look. I'm seeing a lot of brick, a lot of (clear) glass, and some very cool and perhaps colored lighting (that could change to match the event), and also maybe some palm trees or other nice natural feature, perhaps a cool *** water feature that would tie in with the river somehow.

On the inside, I can see a similar melding of old and new. Photos of the old railyards or riverboas or gold rush images displayed in creative ways. Faux (or re-purposed, even better) exposed brick, maybe taking some from the existing site itself, but the whole interior and interior/exterior should for sure have a very open, light, and and clear feeling. That Nationwide center didn't do that. Big arches with long sightlines... though glass that connects two or more spaces. Like perhaps being on one of the concourses and being able to peak into the arena bowl in one direction, and peak out to the street/skyline/or river in another direction. Would be great also if there was a way for passers by to actually get a peak of the bowl/crowd (not the floor of course!!) by walking by on street or other (walking bridge? outer concourse?) levels.

The whole feel should definitely be historical and contextual, but the feeling should be light, airy, colorful, creative, engaging, lively, and modern.

Also I think there's a neat chance to connect Sac's gold rush history with the a King/gold theme somehow. That would have to be an artistic creation somehow. And not lamee uniforms or whatever that incredible miss was.

Damn I shoulda been a designer, no?
I agree with you on just about everything but the palm trees. I hate those things. ;)

I agree with you on just about everything but the palm trees. I hate those things. ;)
I don't hate them, but they sure aren't Central Valley feeling. Can't be messy, or pavement breakers. Chinese Pistache trees have beautiful leaves and can be stunningly flame-colored in fall. Of course, they aren't native either, but are used a lot in the valley, partly because the roots aren't invasive.

Oaks would be perfect, of course, as natives of the valley (many varieties), and extremely drought tolerant, but messy, I think, with the acorns.

I just hope they plant some big deciduous trees, so it will have a nice shady canopy over much of the area in winter, but let light in during the winter.

Whatever...trees please. I love them. :)

I know the discussion here is about the arena and not other railyard and intermodal stuff, but it seems ridiculous to keep using the Depot for Amtrak passengers, making them walk two blocks with their luggage, rather than putting it in one of the historical railyard buildings that are right next to the new tracks. Then use the Depot building for restaraunts and other services since it's right next to the Arena. But overall, this is going to be a model for infill development if this really happens.

With it being Sacramento and all... shouldn't it just be The John Deere Arena? Cowbells anyone? All that honkey tonk! :D http://www.deere.com/en_US/deerecom/index.html
no but seriously?
This whole idea that Sac is country/honky tonk has always seemed out of left field to me. It's not. It's surrounded by rice paddies for cryin out loud. I can speak on this authority as I now live in northern Idaho. This is country.

Sac as "country" or cow town or whatever... is like a Disney version. Sure there's country people anywhere you go. But come on.

That whole thing was just a way to annoy Phil Jackson.

I don't hate them, but they sure aren't Central Valley feeling. Can't be messy, or pavement breakers. Chinese Pistache trees have beautiful leaves and can be stunningly flame-colored in fall. Of course, they aren't native either, but are used a lot in the valley, partly because the roots aren't invasive.

Oaks would be perfect, of course, as natives of the valley (many varieties), and extremely drought tolerant, but messy, I think, with the acorns.

I just hope they plant some big deciduous trees, so it will have a nice shady canopy over much of the area in winter, but let light in during the winter.

Whatever...trees please. I love them. :)

Oak was exactly my first thought.... but then I thought those take a while to get big. What's something that can be planted in a fairly mature stage? I'm sure it's going to turn out amazing. I already love the trees!

That's I-5 to the west (left on the map), then the river to the west of that. The arena pretty much backs right up to I-5.
I like that spot cause it's closest to the river... if they can somehow get a view of the water from anywhere on/in/around the building, that would be pretty neat. Plus, it's a can't miss seen from the freeway.

Is there a walking bridge on that road that crosses the river just west of where the bowl sits? Weren't they going to put some parking just on the other side of the river there?