What we may see tonight for 2nd unit

CruzDude

Senior Member sharing a brew with bajaden
Swingman Matt Barnes, forward Erik Daniels and shooting guard Maurice Evans have had impressive workouts this week according to Marty McNeal on Friday. I’ve been a big supporter of Daniels ever since summer league. He plays much bigger than his size and is really a power forward in a small body (6-8 and 225). But can he hold up in the NBA? My view is he is a big BJax: agressive, fearless and a good rebounder with an ugly but ok jump shot from mid-range.

No mention of 280 lb Alton Ford or the only true center among invitees, Adam Parada, tho’ Adam is somewhat of a project, he is a “back-to-the-basket” 7-footer going 270.

Martin will likely start at the 2 while Christi recuperates. So who will be this second unit Adelman speaks of? Here’s my take:

BJax and Alexander at guard
Blumenthal and Daniels at fowards
Tag in the middle (Parada playing while Tag recuperates)

Not a big 2nd unit but very athletic.

Barnes, Evans and Minard getting big looks and Bland apparently playing well.

HndsmCelt

Hall of Famer
Not a big second unit, but a great ballance of experience, and atheletcisim. Let us not forget that Tag has experinece as a starting center in huge games. Bobby is still the best 6th man in the NBA, Courtney Alexander is a proven scorer who has played in several differnet systmes with... with these three guys mentoring what ever 3-5 new guys that make the rotation, the 2nd squad should be very ballanced. Of course There is Darius who I supect will contenure to hustle and make things happen, no onger a rookie bu not ready for prime time either... somewhere in between.

CruzDude

Notes from Saturday indicated everyone played-practiced for the first time so none of the injuries was anything more than bumps and bruises from game play. With 20 guys on preseason roster and 18 able to play (CWebb notwithstanding) its unlikely anyone will get much time. Same for Warriors. First preseason games are a total crapshoot.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I disagreee. This game ISN'T irrelevant. We have new players, anxious to make the squad, we have returning veterans and we have those in-between. I think this is going to be a game people will watch closely for those first hints of what may be to come.

While the score itself isn't important in the scheme of things, seeing how the players interact in an actual game situation could be very telling.

this game in a way could set the tone of how things in the next few games would be esp. for our rooks as well as those trying to make the regular season roster.

Zero injuries please.... GO KINGS!

CruzDude

Horrible shooting percentage and not many assists can be typical first game, jitters and all. No need to panic. No Christie, no Webb..... Take away Peja's 5/10 shooting and the rest of the team shot 28%. Hmm. Let's chalk it up to first game jitters and let it go. Lot of guys trying to find a game.

HndsmCelt

Hall of Famer
Rookies got lots of time. They could not hold their own against the Vets that GS played, but showed good hustle and belive it or not bocked shots and rebounding. Their hustle was great. Adelamn and Petrie will have some decision makeing to do and more than one of the guys that get cut ought to get picked up by another squad.

HndsmCelt said:
Rookies got lots of time. They could not hold their own against the Vets that GS played, but showed good hustle and belive it or not bocked shots and rebounding. Their hustle was great. Adelamn and Petrie will have some decision makeing to do and more than one of the guys that get cut ought to get picked up by another squad.
WORD!:D

CruzDude

The starters or core group played particularly bad and did not show any hustle or agressiveness. Sure it's only the first week of camp but come on guys, no hustle? and less aggressiveness on defense. Or were they just figuring to get it together in the next few weeks? :(

M

Markezi

VF21 said:
I disagreee. This game ISN'T irrelevant. We have new players, anxious to make the squad, we have returning veterans and we have those in-between. I think this is going to be a game people will watch closely for those first hints of what may be to come.

While the score itself isn't important in the scheme of things, seeing how the players interact in an actual game situation could be very telling.
Absolutely. With Chris mentoring them on the sidelines, they will learn so much and really benefit - both personally and professionally.

Get well soon Chris! You rock! Go Kings!

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
CruzDude said:
The starters or core group played particularly bad and did not show any hustle or agressiveness. Sure it's only the first week of camp but come on guys, no hustle? and less aggressiveness on defense. Or were they just figuring to get it together in the next few weeks? :(
Marty's article pretty much said the same thing. My personal guess is that they just weren't into the first pre-season game, especially with a 14-hour plane trip looming at the end of it.