What does Buddy Hield need to work on to continue to improve?

I highly agree with Sactownkid about usage. You just need to keep feeding him the ball. He's a scorer, but he's inexperienced. He'll have nights where he might go 5-18, but you can't discourage him by limiting him to 8 shots the next game. Let him loose and let's see what he can do.

However, he'll need big improvements if he wants to be a #2 scorer in the NBA. Defenses would begin to gameplan for him which would bring a whole different dynamic. He's athletically limited. He has a very slow first-step that catches no one off-guard. He struggles to get to the rim, which means he'll have to make it up elsewhere. First, I think he'll need to tighten up those handles and improve in his overall ball handling. Not only will it help him get to the rim more, it'll also help him with creating space. It'll expand his offense to a whole other level. A big part Buddy is missing out on right now is his rim attacking. He doen't get to the rim enough. If he can get that 3-level scoring going, he would be golden. He needs to get his FT rate up, it's seriously lacking for a guy who has as much usage as him. Secondly, I think he needs to improve on his off-ball movement. We don't see him shoot enough off screens. We often see him put the ball on the floor unnecessarily, especially in the mid-range. Playmaking and creating for teammates isn't a big deal for me. Klay averaged only 2.5apg this year. Last season Beal only averaged 3.5apg(this year he's at 4.5apg, but that's only because he was forced into more of a playmaker with John Wall out).

On defense, he'll just need to keep putting the same type of effort we've seen in the last 20 games. It's all effort and IQ on that end for him.

For him to make a big leap, he needs to be able to create his shot consistently, while being decent on defense. However, he can't do this if he isn't given the opportunity to. I've always pointed to Devin Booker when it comes to Buddy Hield. Booker is a player who's athletically limited in the same way Buddy is, but he's already a lot better despite being 3 years younger.

Ball handling skills would help him. He is learning to give up the ball when the defense collapses on him. He could double his assists just by focusing more on the whole floor. His defense has improved. He is a good rebounder. I like his game a lot, but he is so ball dominant that he plays second team most of the time.

He needs to work on his handles. Every time he takes the ball to the hole, I'm worried he is going to lose the ball or get stripped.

If he can tighten up the handles and the Kings can get a ball handling 3 (i.e. Doncic) in the draft, then that would open up a starting spot in the lineup for Buddy.

If he can stay on the floor 36+ minutes a game, he could be the alpha scorer we need. I can see him averaging 20+ a game in the ideal situation.

I highly agree with Sactownkid about usage. You just need to keep feeding him the ball. He's a scorer, but he's inexperienced. He'll have nights where he might go 5-18, but you can't discourage him by limiting him to 8 shots the next game. Let him loose and let's see what he can do.

However, he'll need big improvements if he wants to be a #2 scorer in the NBA. Defenses would begin to gameplan for him which would bring a whole different dynamic. He's athletically limited. He has a very slow first-step that catches no one off-guard. He struggles to get to the rim, which means he'll have to make it up elsewhere. First, I think he'll need to tighten up those handles and improve in his overall ball handling. Not only will it help him get to the rim more, it'll also help him with creating space. It'll expand his offense to a whole other level. A big part Buddy is missing out on right now is his rim attacking. He doen't get to the rim enough. If he can get that 3-level scoring going, he would be golden. He needs to get his FT rate up, it's seriously lacking for a guy who has as much usage as him. Secondly, I think he needs to improve on his off-ball movement. We don't see him shoot enough off screens. We often see him put the ball on the floor unnecessarily, especially in the mid-range. Playmaking and creating for teammates isn't a big deal for me. Klay averaged only 2.5apg this year. Last season Beal only averaged 3.5apg(this year he's at 4.5apg, but that's only because he was forced into more of a playmaker with John Wall out).

On defense, he'll just need to keep putting the same type of effort we've seen in the last 20 games. It's all effort and IQ on that end for him.

For him to make a big leap, he needs to be able to create his shot consistently, while being decent on defense. However, he can't do this if he isn't given the opportunity to. I've always pointed to Devin Booker when it comes to Buddy Hield. Booker is a player who's athletically limited in the same way Buddy is, but he's already a lot better despite being 3 years younger.
Nice breakdown

Kingster

Hall of Famer
It's not just dribbling that he needs to work on. He needs to work on moving without the ball, using picks, and making shots off the catch. In many instances he's just not going to be able to go one-on-one against good NBA defenders and be efficient in his play and help this team win.

I thought he was our most improved player. That step back 3 was impressive and his ability to run the pick and roll improved dramatically. His hands on defense also improved a ton by the end of the year. I couldn't tell if that was Hield or Artest at the end of the year :p

I just want to see him shoot more threes. Joerger needs to open this offense up because a contested 3 is better than a contested 2 and Hield and Bogie have shown that they can shoot from long range under pressure.

He is developing his game nicely. This year I think he worked hard on his defense and it was noticeably improved. Playing with Bogi exposed him to the Euro style of ball with more passing and sharing the ball. Buddy caught on and was soon passing and setting up his teammates. His shot was on and even his drives improved. Every few games he will make a huge steal and turn the momentum of a game around. Exciting stuff ahead for Buddy IMO.

It's not just dribbling that he needs to work on. He needs to work on moving without the ball, using picks, and making shots off the catch. In many instances he's just not going to be able to go one-on-one against good NBA defenders and be efficient in his play and help this team win.
Pretty much sums up what I was thinking. To his credit, his defense has improved. Could do with some more improvement there as well but overall he is solid defensively now.