What Deal Would You Make for Otto Porter?

What deal(s) would you make in exchange for Otto Porter at the trade deadline?

• Expirings

• Expirings & Cauley-Stein

• Expirings & Labissiere

• Expirings & Jackson

• Expirings, Cauley-Stein, & Labissiere

• Expirings, Cauley-Stein, & Jackson

• Expirings, Labissiere, & Jackson

• Expirings, Cauley-Stein, Labissiere, & Jackson

• Other

• None

Results are only viewable after voting.

dude12

Hall of Famer
I feel as though the idea of Porter on the Kings is being way, way sensationalized. Yes, solid role player. But the contract is a big negative. I don’t think his production would be much better than what we are getting from the 3 guys we are floating out there. Wizards are in cap hell.

Is Porter better defensively than Shump? I don’t think so. Maybe when we get to bigger SF’s but generally I don’t think so. Is Porter a better offensive player than Bogi? I don’t see it. He is better than JJ but when JJ is playing well, is Porter really so much better that it justifies taking that contract?

I take my chances that WCS gets a reasonable contract in the Summer, try and sign Bojan. And there we go.

Jon Wall just rupture his Achilles and is now out for at least one year. Maybe that’ll change their mindset on not blowing it up

Terrible series of events for Wall. I really see the Wizards blowing this team up at this point. Wall's contract is absolutely massive and he'll be 30 the next time he steps foot on an NBA floor and who knows if he'll be able to play at that point. Poor guy. Otto and Beal will be dealt by the deadline. No doubt.

Terrible series of events for Wall. I really see the Wizards blowing this team up at this point. Wall's contract is absolutely massive and he'll be 30 the next time he steps foot on an NBA floor and who knows if he'll be able to play at that point. Poor guy. Otto and Beal will be dealt by the deadline. No doubt.
You’d certainly think so, but Wizards owner Ted Leonsis and Wizards GM Ernie Grunfeld are enduring examples of the sunk cost fallacy. They insist that the Wizards should be competing for a playoff spot in June, and Wall’s prognosis will likely do nothing to change that calculus for them since he had already been ruled out for the remainder of the season. I would love to be wrong, of course. I have been a big proponent of swinging a trade for Otto Porter, especially if all the Kings have to do is absorb a bad contract and send out a player like Skal Labissiere. The Wizards have no choice but to deal with the Kings if they want immediate cap relief, but unfortunately they seem utterly doom-driven and content with sub-.500 mediocrity. They are prepared to take an astronomical luxury tax hit. It’s maddening, but you can’t negotiate with insanity like that.

You’d certainly think so, but Wizards owner Ted Leonsis and Wizards GM Ernie Grunfeld are enduring examples of the sunk cost fallacy. They insist that the Wizards should be competing for a playoff spot in June, and Wall’s prognosis will likely do nothing to change that calculus for them since he had already been ruled out for the remainder of the season. I would love to be wrong, of course. I have been a big proponent of swinging a trade for Otto Porter, especially if all the Kings have to do is absorb a bad contract and send out a player like Skal Labissiere. The Wizards have no choice but to deal with the Kings if they want immediate cap relief, but unfortunately they seem utterly doom-driven and content with sub-.500 mediocrity. They are prepared to take an astronomical luxury tax hit. It’s maddening, but you can’t negotiate with insanity like that.
That is the problem when you are dealing with a GM and Owner that is delusional in where they stand in the totem pole of playoff teams. They are perennial #8-10 caliber team in salary cap hell and only one way out.

The Wizards, even in the weak East, won't be making the playoffs (or just barely make it) for the next 2-3 years, without John Wall.

The Wiz should be looking to shed salary right now, to re-set their luxury tax penalty. And then they can start to rebuild next year. If they don't trade Porter to the Kings, their Luxury tax goes sky high next year as repeat offenders.

I think this John Wall injury may swing the pendulum in the Kings favor of getting a deal done to get Otto Porter before the trade deadline.

Poor Wall. Wizards are legitimately screwed now as Wall may never play at a high level again and if he was unmoveable with his contract before what is he now? We can get them out of luxury tax and maybe offer them hope for next year or the year beyond. Their ownership can only be so dumb. They might reach the 8 seed this year but at what cost?

You may be right. It looks like the slip occurred on January 29th. The team has known for a week about this injury and have stood their ground on holding on to Porter and Beal. Interesting. 99% of the fans seem to want it completely blown up from the top down.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
I feel as though the idea of Porter on the Kings is being way, way sensationalized. Yes, solid role player. But the contract is a big negative. I don’t think his production would be much better than what we are getting from the 3 guys we are floating out there. Wizards are in cap hell.

Is Porter better defensively than Shump? I don’t think so. Maybe when we get to bigger SF’s but generally I don’t think so. Is Porter a better offensive player than Bogi? I don’t see it. He is better than JJ but when JJ is playing well, is Porter really so much better that it justifies taking that contract?

I take my chances that WCS gets a reasonable contract in the Summer, try and sign Bojan. And there we go.
I'm not sure what your watching, or where your getting your info, but there's no comparison between Shumpert and Porter, other than some illusion you might be having. Porter is taller, younger, and a better all around player period. Shumpert is 6'5" while Porter is 6'8". Shumpert's career offensive rating is 100 and his career defensive rating is 111, that's a minus 11 between the two. Porter's career offensive rating is 116 and his defensive rating is 107. That's a plus 9.

Shumpert's career FGP is 39.4% and his career 3pp is 34.3%, while he averages 3.4 rebounds and 1.1 steals.
Porter's career FGP is 48.3% and his career 3pp is 39.9% while he averages 5.0 rebounds and 1.2 steals.

Porter is a much more efficient player, who has sacrificed his game for Wall and Beal. As anyone can see, now that Wall is out, Porter is being asked to carry more of the scoring load and he's doing it quite well. I like Shumpert, but he's near the player that Porter is. That said, I'm not on board for giving up any of our core pieces to get him. I'd be willing to take on Mahinmi's contract with Porter to get the deal done, but I won't throw in any of our top players, and that includes Willie. Right now I don't want to screw up the chemistry of the team. I will part with any of Skal, Jackson, Mason, or if I'm forced to, Yogi.

I'm reminded of a quote by Draymond Green talking about the playoff's. "Some teams have players for 82 games, and some teams have players for 16 games. We have players for 16 games". Of course Green was referring to the playoffs, which is an entirely different animal. The Kings will go nowhere in the playoffs with Shumpert at SF. Why? Because he'll be going up against Kevin Durant, Paul George etc. It'll be matchup hell for him, and Bog's for that matter. I've watched game after game of George just rising up and shooting over the top of his defenders. Won't work!

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
Does a Washington trade like this have to be 2 separate trades to fit under the salary cap?
I believe that a Washington trade that involves *both* Porter and Mahinmi would have to be two separate trades, at least in order to get the Wizards the full level of salary relief that they would want. If a trade were designed with Porter and Mahinmi in the same trade, we would be taking in ~$42M in a single trade, which means we would have to send at least $33.5M back. That would mean that on top of what I suggested above (Randolph+Koufos+McLemore) we would also have to send out Shumpert (though a quick eyeball suggests we would not have to include Mason/Skal to match in that case, but it would be close and I'd have to pull out the calculator to be sure).

The point of taking back Mahinmi in the first place is to maximize the salary relief that the Wizards get. My proposal saves them about $14M this year, and about $41M next year, and by getting them under the tax level in both seasons saves them additional money on luxury tax while allowing them to actually sign players next year. On top of the $55M savings straight up, it's hard to imagine the luxury tax savings being less than another $15M and possibly quite a bit more. So of course the Wizards would prefer to break it into two trades to take advantage of our cap space (which doesn't come into play if we pull in all $42M at once). I think we'd prefer to break it into two trades as well, because right now I don't think we really want to ship out Shumpert.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Poor Wall. Wizards are legitimately screwed now as Wall may never play at a high level again and if he was unmoveable with his contract before what is he now? We can get them out of luxury tax and maybe offer them hope for next year or the year beyond. Their ownership can only be so dumb. They might reach the 8 seed this year but at what cost?
Wall is owed $170,912,000.00 over the next four years, and will be making just a tad under 50 mil a year on the final year of his contract. That's just nuts, and he won't even play next season, barring a miracle from God. If that doesn't bring the Wiz to the table, nothing will.

Wall is owed $170,912,000.00 over the next four years, and will be making just a tad under 50 mil a year on the final year of his contract. That's just nuts, and he won't even play next season, barring a miracle from God. If that doesn't bring the Wiz to the table, nothing will.
If you're the Wizards, there's no reason why you don't trade Beal either at this point right? That team is not going to be competitive with Wall's contract on the books. If I'm Washington, I'd dangle Beal for Lonzo+Ingram+1st. New Orleans is just being straight up damn irrational with their demands for AD.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
I believe that a Washington trade that involves *both* Porter and Mahinmi would have to be two separate trades, at least in order to get the Wizards the full level of salary relief that they would want. If a trade were designed with Porter and Mahinmi in the same trade, we would be taking in ~$42M in a single trade, which means we would have to send at least $33.5M back. That would mean that on top of what I suggested above (Randolph+Koufos+McLemore) we would also have to send out Shumpert (though a quick eyeball suggests we would not have to include Mason/Skal to match in that case, but it would be close and I'd have to pull out the calculator to be sure).

The point of taking back Mahinmi in the first place is to maximize the salary relief that the Wizards get. My proposal saves them about $14M this year, and about $41M next year, and by getting them under the tax level in both seasons saves them additional money on luxury tax while allowing them to actually sign players next year. On top of the $55M savings straight up, it's hard to imagine the luxury tax savings being less than another $15M and possibly quite a bit more. So of course the Wizards would prefer to break it into two trades to take advantage of our cap space (which doesn't come into play if we pull in all $42M at once). I think we'd prefer to break it into two trades as well, because right now I don't think we really want to ship out Shumpert.
I estimated that they would save 16 mil in luxury tax penalty. Nothing to sniff at..

bajaden

Hall of Famer
I think wash wants to sign Satoranski PG to a 47 mil extension also
That's their other problem. Satoransky is their best PG now that Wall is out of the picture, and they either have to sign him to an extension, or let him become a restricted freeagent, and see what the market is for him. Personally, if I'm the GM, I'm seriously considering a quiet dinner with wine and then slashing my wrists. What a nightmare.

New Orleans is just being straight up damn irrational with their demands for AD.
They are, but they aren't. Aside from the fact that LA would be sending a bunch of guys who have been floundering without LeBron, they would be dealing with a team who is trying to put a gun to their heads and is in their same conference. I'm sure they'd rather deal to a team in the East rather than help out the Lakers. If it were any other team flexing like LA is the league would be talking about stripping picks and major fines but it's the Lakers so crickets.

They are, but they aren't. Aside from the fact that LA would be sending a bunch of guys who have been floundering without LeBron, they would be dealing with a team who is trying to put a gun to their heads and is in their same conference. I'm sure they'd rather deal to a team in the East rather than help out the Lakers. If it were any other team flexing like LA is the league would be talking about stripping picks and major fines but it's the Lakers so crickets.
Don't want to derail this thread too much... but if the Lakers offered us this package for Cousins, we'd happily pack his bags for LA.

Don't want to derail this thread too much... but if the Lakers offered us this package for Cousins, we'd happily pack his bags for LA.
Of course we would, but I think the circumstances are much different; AD and his agent (who is LeBron's agent) are rigging the game. I'm certain there's a lot of pressure around the league's ownership circles not to deal with the Lakers right now.

Boston is going to make them a great offer come summertime and then it(he) will become Boston's problem.

Incidentally, this should motivate the Wizards to ship us Porter and damage that pick we're sending them :D

Kings are not getting Porter. Ted Leonis(Owner Of the Wizards) reported this today. Old news.

Kings best chance at a 3 is Barnes or Harkless.

More likely, Kings will end up with Lin or Kanter. Or they may not do anything at all.

dude12

Hall of Famer
I'm not sure what your watching, or where your getting your info, but there's no comparison between Shumpert and Porter, other than some illusion you might be having. Porter is taller, younger, and a better all around player period. Shumpert is 6'5" while Porter is 6'8". Shumpert's career offensive rating is 100 and his career defensive rating is 111, that's a minus 11 between the two. Porter's career offensive rating is 116 and his defensive rating is 107. That's a plus 9.

Shumpert's career FGP is 39.4% and his career 3pp is 34.3%, while he averages 3.4 rebounds and 1.1 steals.
Porter's career FGP is 48.3% and his career 3pp is 39.9% while he averages 5.0 rebounds and 1.2 steals.

Porter is a much more efficient player, who has sacrificed his game for Wall and Beal. As anyone can see, now that Wall is out, Porter is being asked to carry more of the scoring load and he's doing it quite well. I like Shumpert, but he's near the player that Porter is. That said, I'm not on board for giving up any of our core pieces to get him. I'd be willing to take on Mahinmi's contract with Porter to get the deal done, but I won't throw in any of our top players, and that includes Willie. Right now I don't want to screw up the chemistry of the team. I will part with any of Skal, Jackson, Mason, or if I'm forced to, Yogi.

I'm reminded of a quote by Draymond Green talking about the playoff's. "Some teams have players for 82 games, and some teams have players for 16 games. We have players for 16 games". Of course Green was referring to the playoffs, which is an entirely different animal. The Kings will go nowhere in the playoffs with Shumpert at SF. Why? Because he'll be going up against Kevin Durant, Paul George etc. It'll be matchup hell for him, and Bog's for that matter. I've watched game after game of George just rising up and shooting over the top of his defenders. Won't work!
Save the defensive rating stats. As I said, Shumpert, in my opinion, is capable of playing better defense than Porter, especially against smaller SF’s, thus the comment about maybe not bigger SF’s. I addressed that

Bottom line, Porter and his contract is not worth the potential bump we may get from his production. That is a bad contract.

Not going to get anywhere in the playoffs with Shump? Listen, we can obtain Porter, but are you trying to tell me that we are going to get somewhere with Porter this year? Otto Porter is going to stop George and Durant? That is one hell of an expensive risk and most likely a first round exit if we did make the playoffs. So why make that move. Just my 2 cents on Porter.

Forget the salary. It really is IRRELEVANT to us for the duration of his current deal because the rest of the core is on rookie deals.

I think Porter is a better defensive player than Shump. He is certainly more versatile. He is a big SF who can swing to PF in small ball line ups. He can guard multiple positions, is the right age bracket and his game fits the team really well. He is a better shooter than Shumpert and a better off the ball player. With Porter you get a better defensive versatility, efficient stay out of the way offensive player and improved rebounding (which when you consider how inconsistent WCS is in that area is a big plus for us).

This is not a question of whether he is a better offensive player than Bogi but how Porter fits the team. He is about as good a fit as you can get for the type of player we would be looking at that position. He can give you 15 ppg without actually going into the hero ball mode that Shumpert goes into. Shumpert is really a somewhat undersized SG that we are playing at SF. Porter at least gives you a decent match up on bigger wings. No one is going to stop KD, Giannis (and even Harris who has given us fits this season) etc but Porter can slow them down more than Shump can.

Bojan brings the shooting and nothing else. This team needs a SF that can defend, that can play some PF, that can rebound and shoot efficiently. Bojan addresses one of those areas. Porter addresses all 3. There is a reason why there is such a big difference in their pay packets.

As I said, contract is irrelevant for us. He would give us more in terms of production than Randolph, Kosta and McLemore have done this season. There is his salary accounted for.

I am not convinced that Wizards will trade him, especially now that Wall is out for 12 months but if they were and we did get him, I think we are set for years to come. It also all but guarantees play offs for us!

Salary cap means nothing for us. Its not going to suit up for us on any given night and its not going to get us a star signing in FA. It never has and its not going to change any time soon (until we become a contender). For us, we need to use that cap to bring in players that fit our team really well and are in the right age bracket and are under contract.

Porter was borderline All-Star last season. With out style of play and player development program in place, I am confident he will return at least to that level of production if not exceed it. Don't be fooled by a down season with the Wizards who are an absolute rabble.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nb...hes-the-wizards-into-nba-purgatory/ar-BBTdmPL
Hype):

© File photo File photo
Couple that with $16 million more owed to Ian Mahinmi in 2019-20, a $5.6 million player option for Dwight Howard, and put it all together with a team that's won 22 games already (that might be too good for a good lottery pick). Woof.
The only "good" news coming out of this is that it happened before the NBA trade deadline on Thursday, so this could possibly be salvaged.

The plan: Trade Beal and Porter and get back whatever you can - expiring contracts for this year or next, draft picks down the road, young prospects, whatever. Sell it all off! Hanging on to Beal would be ideal as a cornerstone to build around, but with the franchise stuck with Wall's exploding contract, the Wiz can't hold to him. And although Porter has seen his normally efficient numbers dip, he's still one of the better 3-and-D options in the NBA who can boost a contender.

I Think capt factorial's Plan is possible