We're #2! (merged)

I wouldn't for KAT. The only big man I would trade it away for is Anthony Davis. KAT simply isn't "the man" and that's what we need. Not to mention his playoff performance really left a lot to be desired and showcased his weaknesses.

Tough if Thibs couldn’t get him to be an average defender in playoffs games who can.

Plus I think Boston would pounce on him Rozier, Brown, Al, and multiple picks

I wouldn't for KAT. The only big man I would trade it away for is Anthony Davis. KAT simply isn't "the man" and that's what we need. Not to mention his playoff performance really left a lot to be desired and showcased his weaknesses.
Tough if Thibs couldn’t get him to be an average defender in playoffs games who can.

Guys he is 22 years of age, first play off series! If we had KAT and a team offered you pick 2 you would laugh at them!

Guys he is 22 years of age, first play off series! If we had KAT and a team offered you pick 2 you would laugh at them!
Sure, he didn't do completely awful, but KAT averaged 15-10 in his first series. Anthony Davis averaged 31-11 in his at the same age. A number two pick can get you an Anthony Davis player most drafts and if you pick well. KAT is no Anthony Davis. Not gonna send a number two pick for a player that I believe can never be a number one option.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
Sure, he didn't do completely awful, but KAT averaged 15-10 in his first series. Anthony Davis averaged 31-11 in his at the same age. A number two pick can get you an Anthony Davis player most drafts and if you pick well. KAT is no Anthony Davis. Not gonna send a number two pick for a player that I believe can never be a number one option.
I'm not sure you get an Anthony Davis at #1 in "most drafts".

But I don't think I trade for Towns if Doncic is on the board. If it was Ayton or Towns it's more of a toss up though.

gunks

Hall of Famer
I would trade 2 for KAT, easily.

They'd probably want more than that though, and I'd assume that would be one of our bigs, which would make the trade a bit lopsided.

I think this draft is going to be a lot more interesting than Vlade sleepwalking into picking whoever is left of Doncic/Ayton.

Good times!

SLAB

Hall of Famer
I would trade 2 for KAT, easily.

They'd probably want more than that though, and I'd assume that would be one of our bigs, which would make the trade a bit lopsided.

I think this draft is going to be a lot more interesting than Vlade sleepwalking into picking whoever is left of Doncic/Ayton.

Good times!
That scares me, because I'd rather Vlade sleepwalk and do what common sense dictates rather than..... well, pull a Vlade.

I'm not sure you get an Anthony Davis at #1 in "most drafts".

But I don't think I trade for Towns if Doncic is on the board. If it was Ayton or Towns it's more of a toss up though.
Well maybe or maybe not but my opinion of KAT is that he is a self limiting player. Has all the tools necessary to be a true great, but plays super soft and really isn't all that good in the post. Not to mention his defense continues to be a work in progress even with a good defensive minded coach.

He's a good to great big man, but he's got some noticeable flaws and was generally disappointing in the playoffs. I would like to give Joerger the chance to mold the next guy we draft and not trade for someone with bad habits already instilled. That's just an opinion of course. I openly admit that I've never been as infatuated with KAT as some others, but I'm not blind to his skill set either, or his weaknesses.

gunks

Hall of Famer
That scares me, because I'd rather Vlade sleepwalk and do what common sense dictates rather than..... well, pull a Vlade.
If he falls in love with JJJ or Porter, I could see us trading down with Memphis for 4.

Phoenix just put their pick on the block (although it sounds like they want an established player, so they could be dangling it for Kawhi, maybe KAT).

Vlade himself has said we want to look beyond Doncic.

Personally, I'm with you in that I want us to go for Doncic or Ayton (whoever is left) and call it a draft. I'm just starting to think it's going to be a little crazier than that!

If he falls in love with JJJ or Porter, I could see us trading down with Memphis for 4.

Phoenix just put their pick on the block (although it sounds like they want an established player, so they could be dangling it for Kawhi, maybe KAT).

Personally, I'm with you in that I want us to go for Doncic or Ayton (whoever is left) and call it a draft. I'm just starting to think it's going to be a little crazier than that!
That’s GM y’all he’s not gonna say we only want Ayton/Doncic. Hell Pheonix GM just makes 5 guys he said there looking at for the number 1 pick and that’s bull crap as well

gunks

Hall of Famer
That’s GM y’all he’s not gonna say we only want Ayton/Doncic. Hell Pheonix GM just makes 5 guys he said there looking at for the number 1 pick and that’s bull crap as well
I know that smoke signals are a thing. I'm just looking at the chatter and considering all the wheeling and dealing of Vlade's past drafts.

Also low key mentally preparing myself for typical Kangz disappintment after the high of landing pick #2 (I'm gonna be so mad if we end up with Porter).

Hopefully Doncic plays even better on Sunday and makes an easy decision even easier!

Last edited:
I know that smoke signals are a thing. I'm just looking at the chatter and considering all the wheeling and dealing of Vlade's past drafts.

Also low key mentally preparing myself for typical Kangz disappintment after the high of landing pick #2.

Hopefully Doncic plays even better on Sunday and makes an easy decision even easier!
I thought there was already a report that we’re taking whoever is left from Ayton/Doncic.

Either way Doncic just fits the way I think we want to play while filling out biggest need and BPA

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
the "internal" strugg
With all the rumors about KAT and Wolves not having a great relationship, Would you trade pick 2 for KAT? I would!
hmm....I want to lean towards a yes but he doesn't play defense and he's shown lots of instances of pouting, after a while that would grow tiresome but either way, Minny isn't getting rid of him so soon. They will try to fix this "inner" conflict they've been having. Maybe Thibs is breaking down his players like he did in Chicago?

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude

To be fair, I'd have little faith that the current version of Thibs could really coach his way out of a soup can. His strange insistence on 1980s playoffs-esque tight rotations the entire season doesn't exactly scream "I'm a man who's able to adjust to the modern NBA."

Not sure I agree with the approach. Unless there is a generational type of player there ala LeBron, Duncan, Davis etc.. the draft should be all about getting the player with the highest upside and backing in your franchise's ability to develop the player.

Over the last couple of seasons, Kings have placed an enormous amount of resources into player development. We basically have a development coach per player. If you are a team like the Kings in need of a star player, you pick the player that you believe has the highest ceiling at your pick because you back in your development team to get the most out of that player. It doesn't matter where you are picking, your approach should not change. If you start picking for safer picks its how you end up with Joe Smith instead of KG or how you end up with Mike Bibby or Antawn Jamison instead of Vince Carter or how you end up with Otto Porter instead of the Greek Freak! You still have a good player but there is a clear difference between a future hall of famer or a perennial all-star and a player who has a pretty good career in his own right.

Picking safe is what you do if you are a contender and picking someone who can come in and play the role for you straight away where you know that in a particular role, they are going to be contributing players in the rotation. With picks inside lottery, you pick the players with most upside provided that you believe that there are no other factors that will affect them reaching that potential (i.e. ack of hunger to improve, no competitive spirit, health issues, off court issues etc...)
I agree which might mean we look at Bamba or Jackson. The key to me is ability to stretch the floor and intelligence. Two things I see in Ayton but might also be there with Bagley, Jackson and Bamba. Porter has to also be in the mix although you lose the off ball rim protection.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
I think he wouldn't be doing his due diligence if he didn't say otherwise, also he doesn't want to tip his hat off to Phoenix to extract someone out of us - or inadvertently facilitate a trade. It is likely that everyone in the organization knows what we really have or don't have with Giles while few outside have any clue. And so that is why we are going to have a ton of leverage on draft day.

Phoenix needs a big and so if anyone with a top 4 pick has their heart set on Doncic they might be persuaded to move up.

I think the players' opinions are tainted because if Phoenix wants Doncic and we want/select Ayton (or another big) players are going to get shipped and may find themselves out of starting jobs heading into their contract years. Naturally they all want to contribute on a team about to make a jump and lock in those big dollars.

That's assuming you believe it's a foregone conclusion that Ayton and Doncic go 1&2. Or more accurately, that Doncic goes #2 since I DO believe the Suns will take Ayton.

I remember when the 2009 draft was being called a 2 player draft with Blake and Rubio only for Ricky to fall to 5th while the best players were actually drafted 3rd (Harden) and 7th (Curry).

I really like Doncic even if his athletic limits make me wonder if he can be a star. But liking him doesn't mean I think it's Doncic or bust if Ayton goes #1.
Ya know, this is probably the best example i can think of when it comes to possible scenarios going forward. Such a similar narrative