We're #2! (merged)

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
Maybe it's best to consider the coin flip itself as more neutral in nature. You can "win" by "losing" but in reality if you take two teams picking 6-10 in any given draft and swap their immediate draft order I bet more often than not the teams wind up with the same player regardless of draft position. Captain you are the math wizard so I will let you come with an exact percentage on that figure :)
Actually it's an interesting point - while there's obviously a big difference between #7 and #2, there may not be any difference at all between #6 and #7 (or #12 and #14, etc.), depending on which teams hold the picks. Unfortunately for your attempt to troll me into doing more math, sussing that out requires data not in evidence. ;)

Giles has literally not played a single second of an NBA game. I'm as excited about him as the rest of you, but let's not get carried away here. Giles has proven nothing and he should not influence who we pick. Best talent available is who we should be drafting and then you work out the rest. Drafting for need is not for lottery teams like us.
Yes. We the fans are justified in making our conjectures and draft assumptions based on Giles's non-debut in the NBA so far.

But the Kings FO folks, who actually have to make the decision, should have a real perspective on him, his medical reports, his conditioning, his attitude, and his potential. They should certainly take that into account while making the pick.

There might be a risk in projecting his practice performance to real games, that will include travel, wear and tear, etc. However, certain amount of risk is there in every decision.

I do believe that we should go with the BPA, with a small caveat. If the talent difference between two prospects is minimal (I'm using talent as a generic term to encompass everything from physical profile to skills to attitude), then we should look at fit too. Per our requirements, Luka is the obvious choice. So, if both he and Bagley (or JJJ or anyone else in consideration) is available, we should go for Luka unless we think the other player is lot better.

If we do take someone like Ayton/Bagley/JJJ, we'll likely need to trade one or both of Willie/Skal (or maybe Kosta, if he can get us a better return). As of now, we get pennies on the dollar for either of them.

Tanking sucks on many levels, but I was quietly rooting for loses down the stretch seeing so many teams were blatently doing it.
My respect has grown for Vlade after listening to his post draft thoughts on this. Instilling winning regardless of draft order, it paid off, karma to other teams being pushed back so be it, maybe they will change their approach. I wish New York and Charlotte or Denver had joined Sacramento in the top three...that would have been poetic.
Again, I watched Once Brothers last night with my son, very good ESPN doc featuring Vlade, highly recommended great story that touches on the rise of European basketball.

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
I hate to harp on this since it's probably completely off topic, but I honestly can't help myself.

So let's consider the following lottery procedures:

A) The current procedure: Lotto combos are handed out in blocks from a look-up table, the order of the teams in the look-up table is determined by lotto position, and thus the coin toss determines which specific combos go to the Bulls and which go to the Kings.

B) Lotto combos are handed out in blocks from a look-up table, but ALPHABETICALLY by team, so that the Kings would get the exact same combos if they won or lost the coin toss.

C) There are no lotto combos, but a literal 1000 ping-pong balls placed into a hopper, with both the Kings and the Bulls getting 53 ping-pong balls with their logos on them.

Now imagine that the Bulls win the coin toss, and then the Kings end up with the #2 pick in each of these scenarios. In which of these scenarios would you consider the Kings to have "lost" the coin toss?
In situation A I would say that the Kings won the coin toss. The tie-breaker is only relevant if neither team is awarded a top 3 pick and if one (or both) of those teams is awarded a top 3 pick than the coin toss is actually determining where those combos are assigned and thus the order they will draft in is ultimately determining who won (assuming we all agree that the end goal here is to get a higher pick in the draft).

In situation B I would agree that the Kings lost the coin toss, it just didn't matter because they went on to win the lottery. Two entirely separate events. Good luck for us, but the former does not have implications on the latter.

In situation C I would also agree that the Kings lost the coin toss, again it just didn't matter. I think this is how most people assume the lottery works which is why they want to argue that we lost the coin toss but won the lottery. But this is not the way the lottery works. It would be kindof funny though to see the size of the hopper needed to house 1000 ping pong balls.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
I don't think his hiring had anything to do with Doncic. Kokoskov has been coaching in the U.S. as an assistant since 1999 and in the NBA since 2000 with five of those years being with the Suns from 2008-2013. He likely still had fans in the organization.

Plus the Suns had something like a 40% chance of not getting a top 2 pick. Why would you hire a coach on a coin flip chance that you'd be able to draft a particular player that isn't even a clear #1 prospect?

He did coach the Slovenian team but that's only been the last two summers
Luka lived at his house.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
Actually it's an interesting point - while there's obviously a big difference between #7 and #2, there may not be any difference at all between #6 and #7 (or #12 and #14, etc.), depending on which teams hold the picks. Unfortunately for your attempt to troll me into doing more math, sussing that out requires data not in evidence. ;)
Oh c'mon Cap, you've got like a month to look up 10 years of past data, do team needs assessments for all teams involved in a coinflip, and then use the benefit of hindsight to show how every team got it wrong.

I do believe that we should go with the BPA, with a small caveat. If the talent difference between two prospects is minimal (I'm using talent as a generic term to encompass everything from physical profile to skills to attitude), then we should look at fit too. Per our requirements, Luka is the obvious choice. So, if both he and Bagley (or JJJ or anyone else in consideration) is available, we should go for Luka unless we think the other player is lot better.

If we do take someone like Ayton/Bagley/JJJ, we'll likely need to trade one or both of Willie/Skal (or maybe Kosta, if he can get us a better return). As of now, we get pennies on the dollar for either of them.
Doncic is an excellent prospect and does fit into our line up at SG or SF, but Bagley would also fit in at PF because that spot hasn't been taken, and JJJ can fit at PF or C and with his shooting he can be paired with WCS. So fit wise that trio does work, but I would take Doncic over them both.

My wild card for our pick is Porter. If he checks out medically we could be tempted by his potential to be a go to scorer and number one option. I'd be hesitant at picking him myself, I'm on board with Doncic or Ayton, but it wouldn't surprise me if we did something unexpected with our pick.

As for trading people away I don't think we have to do anything unless we get fair value offers. Willie fan start with Bagley, JJJ, Ayton with them being a PF/C combination. Skal can come off the bench with Koufos. Admittedly we don't want to lose anyone for nothing, but we are in a rebuilding phase and we need to have all the talent we can muster and hope a few of them become franchise cornerstones.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
I want to like Ayton because he has every measurable you could want and he looks like an Adonis on the court, but I just can't get enthusiastic about him because I don't see the competitive fire. Does he feel entitled? I find myself gravitating to both Bagley and Jackson, who are demonstrably competitive on the court. I think Bagley is going to do everything under the sun on the basketball court, including 3 point shooting. Jackson looks like he glides on the court, which is extremely rare from a 6'11" guy. He's not going to stand in the paint and wait for a guy to drive to make a block; he's going to come out of nowhere to block an outside shot at the 3 point line. If he works on his game, his fluidity is going to make the game look easy for him. He's such a young pup; you really have to use your imagination with him. As far as Doncic is concerned, I can't make a judgement about him because I haven't seen him play in games, especially against very athletic competition.

Doncic is an excellent prospect and does fit into our line up at SG or SF, but Bagley would also fit in at PF because that spot hasn't been taken, and JJJ can fit at PF or C and with his shooting he can be paired with WCS. So fit wise that trio does work, but I would take Doncic over them both.

My wild card for our pick is Porter. If he checks out medically we could be tempted by his potential to be a go to scorer and number one option. I'd be hesitant at picking him myself, I'm on board with Doncic or Ayton, but it wouldn't surprise me if we did something unexpected with our pick.

As for trading people away I don't think we have to do anything unless we get fair value offers. Willie fan start with Bagley, JJJ, Ayton with them being a PF/C combination. Skal can come off the bench with Koufos. Admittedly we don't want to lose anyone for nothing, but we are in a rebuilding phase and we need to have all the talent we can muster and hope a few of them become franchise cornerstones.
If Giles is anywhere as good as he is being projected, and we draft another big, there just aren't enough minutes to go around. We might even try to find some minutes for ZBo/Kosta to potentially find trade partners for them (in the case of Kosta, we might consider re-signing him to a new, reasonable contract). The more minutes Willie/Skal spend on the bench, lower their trade value.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
Isn't Kosta's contract quite reasonable by current standards?

I will be honest, while Ayton/Giles is super intriguing, I think Doncic makes the most sense for our roster right now and might be the best fit for the modern NBA long term. But I'm also selling myself on this because I think PHX takes Ayton.

If Giles is anywhere as good as he is being projected, and we draft another big, there just aren't enough minutes to go around. We might even try to find some minutes for ZBo/Kosta to potentially find trade partners for them (in the case of Kosta, we might consider re-signing him to a new, reasonable contract). The more minutes Willie/Skal spend on the bench, lower their trade value.
The only time I'm finding minutes for ZBo and Kosta is if I think they offer us a better chance to win since we aren't tanking next year - and - we can land a suitable deal for two from Giles, Skal and Willie. However if Skal/Giles coming off the bench and new player/Willie offers us better production on the court I'm happy to let the veterans value dwindle if needs must since both are out of contract after next season. Kosta is a role player and ZBo is nearly at the end of his career, as harsh as it sounds they aren't my priority nor is their trade value. The priority needs to be with the best players to help us win games now, but also help us in the future as they develop.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
Isn't Kosta's contract quite reasonable by current standards?

I will be honest, while Ayton/Giles is super intriguing, I think Doncic makes the most sense for our roster right now and might be the best fit for the modern NBA long term. But I'm also selling myself on this because I think PHX takes Ayton.
What makes sense for the Kings existing roster can't be a consideration for the draft. If you already have a superstar player, then yes, you draft in part based on how that kid will fit with your star. But for a perennial losing team struggling to find an identity you just take the best player and figure it out later.

Kosta's contract is $8 M for this season which is definitely reasonable but not a bargain. He, Z-Bo, Temple (if he opts in), and Shumpert (who WILL opt in) are all ending contracts this season which could make them useful trade pieces at the deadline.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
What makes sense for the Kings existing roster can't be a consideration for the draft. If you already have a superstar player, then yes, you draft in part based on how that kid will fit with your star. But for a perennial losing team struggling to find an identity you just take the best player and figure it out later.
But the decision is being made for us. I think both guys fit great and either is going to be BPA for us but we'll have to move some pieces to get Ayton in right away whereas Doncic hopefully fits right into our biggest hole but may leave us wanting at the 4/5 spot.

Anyways it's more a philosophical debate on where the NBA was and where it is headed, and if having Giles/Ayton pan out as projected would change what seems to be the direction of roster composition or would be a "damn this team arrived a decade too late".

But Ayton is a versatile perimeter threat. That's what makes him so dangerous. He's huge and physical inside but he looks really good stepping out and popping jumpers even from three point range, he can face up and dribble drive, and he can shoot midrange jumpers right over the top of defenders. You're missing big time on Ayton if you think he's a dinosaur from the Post-Up era. That's not who he is at all. He resembles those guys physically but he's a modern big man all the way.

I also think you're selling Doncic short if you're judging him on highlight reels of flashy passes. I don't see athleticism being a problem for him even in the NBA. There are some world class athletes in the Euroleague too and Doncic has been able to make a lot of them look silly with his stop start moves and crossovers. If you can throw people off balance you don't need a lightning fast first step to get by them. If you watch James Harden play and then switch over and watch Doncic, it's eerie how similar some of their dribble moves are and both of them like to follow it up with a step back jumper or a drive into space and quick outlet pass. That's your (likely) MVP of the NBA this year. Yes I realize Harden tested out as an above-average athlete coming out of school but he rarely relies on that athleticism in games. And it really doesn't matter what other Euro prospects have done before. There was no Dirk before Dirk. There was no precedent for Tony Parker or Manu Ginobili or Giannis Antetekuonmpo either. No prospect has done what Doncic is doing at his age in the Euroleague before.

He might indeed get some GM fired but I think it's far more likely to be for passing on him than drafting him. You've got a guy who is dominating in a professional league as a teenager, current NBA players are saying he's the best they've ever seen at his age, and you passed on him for what reason? Because this other guy can jump higher? What are we doing here building a basketball team or competing in a decathlon?

On Ayton I just don't see the level of value I would expect at the top of the Draft. He is probably going to have a good to great career. I just don't see him as a game changer or someone with talent that we can't find on the open market. Picking up a Dwayne Dedmon (poor mans Ayton) on the cheap would be fine as in crunch time and against some of the most effective lineups in the NBA you have to go small anyway. In this NBA you have to be able to shoot, drive and create from the perimeter.

Yeah I think this is just a different age where masking inability to switch onto guards is getting harder and harder, especially if your a playoff team. To me teams would feast on Luka's lack of foot speed and athleticism . Harden is a physical beast and always has burst when he needs it, just because he has some off speed moves doesn't mean he isn't quick off of his first step when he needs to be. Luka isn't nearly the crafty finisher that he would need to be in NBA to make up for his lack of burst and athleticism. I disagree history does matter, at least in my evaluation.

You don't have to jump higher or run faster to be more successful but you dam well better have an all world secondary talent to make up for it, I don't see that secondary talent. I don't know if 16ppg is dominating enough for me to expect to translate and get better in a league that has much better talent.

Porter Jr. is the wildcard and the guy I see with all the tools, granted those tools are very unpolished. Long wing with good lateral speed, touch on a jumper that can expand and most importantly the ability to attack any sized player off of the dribble.

Effort has been a question mark with Ayton for a few years now. That said, I agree. He may never be an anchor and elite rim protector but I think he can improve significantly if he chooses to and if he lands with a good defensive/big man coach.

I'm also kind of crossing Ayton off in my mind though because I think it's a near lock that he goes #1 to the Suns.
It’s his help defense that’s bad all he has to do is get average at that and he’s good. His pick and roll defense as well as perimeter defense as good he’s not KAT bad at that end

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
But the decision is being made for us. I think both guys fit great and either is going to be BPA for us but we'll have to move some pieces to get Ayton in right away whereas Doncic hopefully fits right into our biggest hole but may leave us wanting at the 4/5 spot.
That's assuming you believe it's a foregone conclusion that Ayton and Doncic go 1&2. Or more accurately, that Doncic goes #2 since I DO believe the Suns will take Ayton.

I remember when the 2009 draft was being called a 2 player draft with Blake and Rubio only for Ricky to fall to 5th while the best players were actually drafted 3rd (Harden) and 7th (Curry).

I really like Doncic even if his athletic limits make me wonder if he can be a star. But liking him doesn't mean I think it's Doncic or bust if Ayton goes #1.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
On Ayton I just don't see the level of value I would expect at the top of the Draft. He is probably going to have a good to great career. I just don't see him as a game changer or someone with talent that we can't find on the open market. Picking up a Dwayne Dedmon (poor mans Ayton) on the cheap would be fine as in crunch time and against some of the most effective lineups in the NBA you have to go small anyway. In this NBA you have to be able to shoot, drive and create from the perimeter.

Yeah I think this is just a different age where masking inability to switch onto guards is getting harder and harder, especially if your a playoff team. To me teams would feast on Luka's lack of foot speed and athleticism . Harden is a physical beast and always has burst when he needs it, just because he has some off speed moves doesn't mean he isn't quick off of his first step when he needs to be. Luka isn't nearly the crafty finisher that he would need to be in NBA to make up for his lack of burst and athleticism. I disagree history does matter, at least in my evaluation.

You don't have to jump higher or run faster to be more successful but you dam well better have an all world secondary talent to make up for it, I don't see that secondary talent. I don't know if 16ppg is dominating enough for me to expect to translate and get better in a league that has much better talent.

Porter Jr. is the wildcard and the guy I see with all the tools, granted those tools are very unpolished. Long wing with good lateral speed, touch on a jumper that can expand and most importantly the ability to attack any sized player off of the dribble.
Go back and watch Harden at Arizona State. He was smaller and had more hops, but his game sure looks a lot like Doncic.

Porter has shown absolutely no interest in playing help defense, or much defense at all for that matter. Look how he hedges high against every P&R. That's not just apathy on that end, it's a lack of foot speed. And his lack of lower body strength/bulk means he very easily gets pushed out of position on offense or defense. That and his underdeveloped handle are why his go-to move when cut off by a defender is to elevate for a jump shot every time. Even before the injury concerns I thought Porter was a bigger risk than Doncic.

If the Kings stayed at 7 I liked Carter (assuming Bagley, Doncic or JJJ didn't tumble) but I wouldn't have been upset with a gamble on Porter, hoping his scoring translated to the NBA. But at #2? I'd be upset. I could understand Bagley or JJJ rather than Doncic, but not Porter.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
In situation C I would also agree that the Kings lost the coin toss, again it just didn't matter. I think this is how most people assume the lottery works which is why they want to argue that we lost the coin toss but won the lottery..
Setting aside how many people might misapprehend the lottery mechanics, I don't think that's why people argue we lost the coin toss. They argue we lost the coin toss because they (like I) see it as independent of the lottery process. It seems that for you, the "coin toss" is not over until the lotto balls are selected. But if that's the case, why stop there? What if the player we take at #2 turns out to get injured and have essentially no career, while the player taken at #6 becomes a multiple-time All-Star? Do we go back to losing the coin toss? I don't see why not.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
That's assuming you believe it's a foregone conclusion that Ayton and Doncic go 1&2. Or more accurately, that Doncic goes #2 since I DO believe the Suns will take Ayton.

I remember when the 2009 draft was being called a 2 player draft with Blake and Rubio only for Ricky to fall to 5th while the best players were actually drafted 3rd (Harden) and 7th (Curry).

I really like Doncic even if his athletic limits make me wonder if he can be a star. But liking him doesn't mean I think it's Doncic or bust if Ayton goes #1.
I feel like 2009 was considered fairly deep and a lot of people thought Rubio would fall to us at 4 because there were questions about whether he would play right away. Maybe I am wrong.

I just don't see how the teams picking 1 & 2 don't pick Ayton and Doncic. If you are iffy on either, you trade down to someone willing to bet the farm you're a fool. I actually think we could swap with Atlanta and take their 2019 if that's the case.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
It’s his help defense that’s bad all he has to do is get average at that and he’s good. His pick and roll defense as well as perimeter defense as good he’s not KAT bad at that end
His rim protection is also abysmally bad for a guy with his tools. 260 lbs of muscle with a 7'5" wingspan and (reportedly) 40" vertical and he blocks half as many shots per 40 as Jaren Jackson? Analytically he's down in Jahlil Okafor territory in terms of defense and block rates.

I watch him play and I just don't understand it. I understood with Okafor - he's a plodder. But with Ayton it was like I was always waiting for him to snap out of it and be a great defensive anchor and it never happened.

But hey, effort was also the big question mark that caused Drummond to fall and he's been fine on the defensive end. If Drummond had Ayton's offensive talent he'd be all-NBA first team.

This draft is loaded with bad defensive players up top. Young and Doncic because they can't contain explosive offensive players and Ayton, Bagley, Bamba, & Porter because they don't seem to give great effort or focus on that end. Jaren Jackson and Mikal Bridges are the only good defenders projected for the lottery IMO.

His rim protection is also abysmally bad for a guy with his tools. 260 lbs of muscle with a 7'5" wingspan and (reportedly) 40" vertical and he blocks half as many shots per 40 as Jaren Jackson? Analytically he's down in Jahlil Okafor territory in terms of defense and block rates.

I watch him play and I just don't understand it. I understood with Okafor - he's a plodder. But with Ayton it was like I was always waiting for him to snap out of it and be a great defensive anchor and it never happened.

But hey, effort was also the big question mark that caused Drummond to fall and he's been fine on the defensive end. If Drummond had Ayton's offensive talent he'd be all-NBA first team.

This draft is loaded with bad defensive players up top. Young and Doncic because they can't contain explosive offensive players and Ayton, Bagley, Bamba, & Porter because they don't seem to give great effort or focus on that end. Jaren Jackson and Mikal Bridges are the only good defenders projected for the lottery IMO.
I think he could improve on it it looked like awareness was the problem

Giles has literally not played a single second of an NBA game. I'm as excited about him as the rest of you, but let's not get carried away here. Giles has proven nothing and he should not influence who we pick. Best talent available is who we should be drafting and then you work out the rest. Drafting for need is not for lottery teams like us.
Whether we have seen him or not is irrelevant. Vlade has been watching him scrimmage against other NBA athletes for months. I'm guessing Vlade feels he has a pretty good handle on Giles. In terms of BPA, I generally largely agree with you but fit matters most with Bigs who can't shoot with high percentage from the perimeter and play stretch four. I am not saying that is Ayton or Giles can or can't but one of them will have to. It is not like wings that can fit into the 2,3,4 spot with no problem.

One point to consider. It's not an absolute certainty that Doncic will come over if drafted, especially by a small market team. The NBA rookie wage scale can come close to costing a player money because the Euro salary is net taxes and agent commissions. Plus Luca is in a major Euro market (Madrid =6.3M) versus Sacramento (1M Metro).

One point to consider. It's not an absolute certainty that Doncic will come over if drafted, especially by a small market team. The NBA rookie wage scale can come close to costing a player money because the Euro salary is net taxes and agent commissions. Plus Luca is in a major Euro market (Madrid =6.3M) versus Sacramento (1M Metro).
Doncic is coming despite being a top 2 pick who was even that last euro player that didn’t come over that was drafted in the top 15