We're #2! (merged)

Awesome ! I am so happy we got the #2, remember, this is proof that winning a few games at the end of the season is not an end all. Keep in mind that we if did win those Orlando/Memphis games we could be picking 7th right now. Nothing is definitive, the lottery is merely probability.

That being said I think this is the best possible outcome for this team. Getting a top pick while still instilling a winning culture/attitude for our guys. Our guys still tried to win, did, and I don't think that should be overlooked.

This is great.

Willie still had ADHD. Can't be counted on.
IMO most naysayers are shortsighted when it comes to Willie. His greatest value is his ability to defend on switches due to his length, athleticism and speed. That's not always easy to find, and the Kings need all the defensive help they can get.

If the Kings end up with Ayton, he'll be their rebound guy and Willie will be free to roam and defend. Offensively, Willie has a good connection with Bogdan and gets lots of easy dunks off lobs and has also improved his overall offensive game.

If the Kings end up with Doncic, Willie still has a lot of value to this team.

Good news for once... Package the #2 for a player and #5 or 6 then get Trae!! OK just kidding.. I do want Trae but not at #2... Maybe we could trade down, but I would be OK with staying as is... Trae Young is just too damn impressive to me to pass on so if there was a way to get him and keep the #2 then go for it. If not OK..

One other thing and don't flame me for this as I'm just bringing it up as yet another option Vlade might have.

As much as we most of us like Ayton or Doncic, what IF Vlade decided to trade down like Boston did last season (and still got Tatum) and was able to still get a player such as Michael Porter Jr. or Mikal Bridges to fill the SF hole while also landing a 1st round pick in the 2019 draft (since the Kings don't currently have one)??

Would anybody be ok with that? Or it is Doncic or Ayton or bust???

Good news for once... Package the #2 for a player and #5 or 6 then get Trae!! OK just kidding.. I do want Trae but not at #2... Maybe we could trade down, but I would be OK with staying as is... Trae Young is just too damn impressive to me to pass on so if there was a way to get him and keep the #2 then go for it. If not OK..
Sounds like we are on the same page with regard to another option. Not saying I'm sold on trading down at all, just something Vlade should consider depending upon what it might yield.

Or maybe they can trade down for a pick next year...but, not, I like Ayton pretty well.

Sounds like we are on the same page with regard to another option. Not saying I'm sold on trading down at all, just something Vlade should consider depending upon what it might yield.
Yah... Not sure if there is a consensus #2 or not. Porter or Doncic? If Orlando gave me #6 and Vucevic for the #2 or something crazy like that I would have to consider this if Young was on the board when drafting 6th.

If our #2 pick has talent like other Kings franchise #2 picks, Otis Birdsong (great name!), prolific mid-range scorer who virtually invented quick step back shot (deserves to be in HOF) or Maurice Stokes (HOFer) we'll have incredible gem. Phil Ford saw talented NBA career collapse when became addicted to cocaine. Never heard of Dees so lets have some amazing Birdsong and Stokes basketball talent rub off on whom ever we select.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Willie/Kosta
Skal/Giles/Z-Bo
Garrett Temple/J-Jax/JaKarr
Bogie/Buddy/Shump
The clutchest MFer in the universe/Frank Mason

The big man minutes crunch was already going to be crazy. It'll only get crazier if we draft Ayton (like "Crap, I guess we have to play Willie at the 3 to get him minutes" crazy). The only clear hole on the roster (in terms of roster construction, not in terms of who is good or not) is SF. Wouldn't be surprised to see us trade Skal or Willie for a pick either this year or the next regardless of whether Ayton falls to us or not based on the minutes crunch alone (and the Giles hype train).

Either way, we need to retire De'Aaron's jersey.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
One other thing and don't flame me for this as I'm just bringing it up as yet another option Vlade might have.

As much as we most of us like Ayton or Doncic, what IF Vlade decided to trade down like Boston did last season (and still got Tatum) and was able to still get a player such as Michael Porter Jr. or Mikal Bridges to fill the SF hole while also landing a 1st round pick in the 2019 draft (since the Kings don't currently have one)??

Would anybody be ok with that? Or it is Doncic or Ayton or bust???
2019 draft is not shaping up to be all that good. The number 2 pick this year (hell, the number 5/6 pick this year) is probably better than any package of picks we could wind up with for 2019

Willie/Kosta
Skal/Giles/Z-Bo
Bogie/Buddy/Shump

The big man minutes crunch was already going to be crazy. It'll only get crazier if we draft Ayton (like "Crap, I guess we have to play Willie at the 3 to get him minutes" crazy). The only clear hole on the roster (in terms of roster construction, not in terms of who is good or not) is SF. Wouldn't be surprised to see us trade Skal or Willie for a pick either this year or the next regardless of whether Ayton falls to us or not based on the minutes crunch alone (and the Giles hype train).

No Kosta I dont think - isn't he opting out?

Willie/Kosta
Skal/Giles/Z-Bo
Bogie/Buddy/Shump

Cant they swap out Ayton/Cauley at 4/5 - sort of like when with Cousins? That's what I would do

So many options, that makes me nervous, but really we could do a number of things on draft day. Not just with 2, but considering what we draft and our other young fellas.

I'm simply blown away. We got lucky? Is there such a thing for kings fans and the franchise in general?

Shellshocked. I'm programmed to think the worst and we walk away with number 2? That's a **** yea moment in my book!!
I read Shams tweet from yahoo announcing the picks as i couldn’t watch on television today, and I literally read it over about 7 times before processing that this actually happened for us. Still shocked a couple hours later omg

It's Ayton or Dončić for me. Either one of those guys is perfect for our team as those are our weakest areas. Wouldn't mind having a dominant big man again, I certainly miss having that. Would balance the roster nicely too. I like Willie, but he can't be the main big man.

Dončić also has the potential to be a franchise changer, although there's always some caution to be had with European players and their transition. I wouldn't expect him to light the league on fire immediately, but the man is deserving of the number one pick. He can be the spark in our offense.

What a great dilemma. Best of all we don't even have to worry about it, just take who the Suns don't!