We're #2! (merged)

Luka is not fast enough please do not draft him Vlade.
Luka has a beautiful shot and he may be more athletic than some give him credit for.

But here's the thing: Luka looks like a better version of Boggy.

He's taller a better shooter probably a more creative passer and of course better at a younger age.

But we have Boggy!

Is there an overlap there where both need to have the ball in their hands to maximize their skills?

This is something to think about.

Marvin Bagley Jr is a perfect complement to De"Aaron.

He's so quick off his feet and smooth. He has Anthony Davis -like game.

He runs the floor like a deer. He has a face-up game and can run Joerger's high post offense.

Bagley Jr. is probably my favorite player in this draft.

There are NOT two players for us to debate between now and draft day there are three!

Ayton
Doncic
Bagley Jr

But this is a far rosier proposition than having to debate between Wendell Carter Jr and Mikail Bridges at #8!

Congrats to the Kings!!! :p:p:p

Finally someone else gets it! We didn't lose the coin toss after all... you only know who won the coin toss after the lottery selections are made because the exact number combinations that get drawn on the ping pong balls are assigned based on draft slot. So after all the talk of tanking, it was a 50-50 coin toss that put us in position to draft Ayton or Doncic. I don't even care about next year's pick anymore. Getting Fox last year (remember we moved into the top 3 to be in position to draft him) and a top 2 player in this draft is worth every asset Vlade traded away and then some. All is forgiven! It's crazy how a little luck can be the difference between a decade of despair, fan attrition, media indifference (or outright mockery) and now unbridled optimism and a path forward that looks like it could lead somewhere really good! I'm not going to question it. It should be one big party in here for the next 2 months at least! All the stress is gone from the draft process this year and next year. All we need concern ourselves with for the next 6 months is trying not to look too smug when fans of other lottery teams want to compare notes.
This is incorrect. When you tie they pool the combinations and split them 50/50. There is no way to say we got Chicago’s combinations as we split evenly the combined 6 and 7 combinations.

He's slow. There's better talent at 2. Luka is a 7+ talent
I had my doubts when I first start watching Luka but the more I see him the more I am convinced he's a special player.

He may be like a two inch shorter version of Ben Simmons where you can put him at the PG spot and let him go.

This is what the Suns will have to consider with their three man core of: Booker, Jackson and TJ Warren.

He's not as explosive an athlete as Simmons but Luka can more than make up for it with his dead eye shooting.

Their passing and creativity as oversized PG is where their skills overlap.

In our case we would run Boggy and Fox with Luka and sort of let them share lead guard responsibilities.

I am not sure how I feel about this: I am tantalized by the prospects of Marvin Bagley Jr. He's awesome!

Luka has a beautiful shot and he may be more athletic than some give him credit for.

He's taller a better shooter probably a more creative passer and of course better at a younger age.

But we have Boggy!

Is there an overlap there where both need to have the ball in their hands to maximize their skills?

He runs the floor like a deer. He has a face-up game and can run Joerger's high post offense.

There are NOT two players for us to debate between now and draft day there are three!

Ayton
Doncic
Bagley Jr

But this is a far rosier proposition than having to debate between Wendell Carter Jr and Mikail Bridges at #8!

I’m not so sure you can’t pair Bogi and Luca. How many times did Bogi pass the ball never to get it back? Add 2 hi IQ players like Giles and Luca and guys standing open at the 3 point line will get the ball.

Watch how Boston and GS move the ball. We would be much of the same.

But we have Boggy!

Ayton
Doncic
Bagley Jr

I think another question is who complements Giles.

At the time, thanks to his injuries, he was also getting compared to Greg Oden.

Ayton has no such concerns.
There was no injury concern till 2-3 days before the draft.

Ayton isnt close to the prospect Embiid was at Kansas. Biid was dream shaking on guys and was AD lite defensively he was unral

We could do it with Giles/Ayton that’s elite athleticism, rebounding, and shot blocking
This! I am a Doncic guy but Ayton/Giles is a terrific front court. They would fit each other perfectly. Offensively, Ayton has no problem playing on the perimeter and thus allowing Giles to play near the basket. Defensively I have some questions but both guys best attribute is probably switching. You and I have talked about a lot of playoff basketball and the importance of wings. But Ayton/Giles could be a match up nightmare in the playoffs I think. You cant really go small against them. They will punish you inside and on the boards. And defensively you could just switch 1-5.

True we will know more in Summer League.

I think Giles and Ayton could get in each others way (overlapping skills) more than Giles and Bagley Jr.

Bagley is comfortable away from the basket. He is capable of getting the ball off the backboard and pushing.

He can drive and kick.

I am impressed with Ayton but he's a bit mechanical.

His shot mechanics are decent but if you notice the angle on his shooting arm is too steep.

This is not good. It is about 35 to 40 degrees instead of 20 degrees overhead and relative to perpendicular to the floor.

Ayton is 250 pounds. Bagley is 220 pounds. Ayton is going to be more of a force finishing around the hoop.

Bagley is going to be able to do more away from the hoop and in transition.

It is a tough call but I love the way Fox and Bagley Jr games would complement one another.

It seems like a marriage made in heaven.

If I had to make a call today I would predict (1) Suns - Ayton (2) Kings - Bagley (3) Hawks - Doncic.

I am not anti-Doncic but I do feel perusing this board and Sactown Royalty the Luka Love is a bit excessive.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
There was no injury concern till 2-3 days before the draft.

Ayton isnt close to the prospect Embiid was at Kansas. Biid was dream shaking on guys and was AD lite defensively he was unral
He missed most of March Madness with a spinal fracture then proceeded to also hurt his leg in the pre-draft process. There was a reason he slipped in the draft and, like you said, it wasn't because of his talent.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
I hate to bring this up, but the Kings, if they're interested, might have just entered the Kawhi Leonard sweepstakes as well. They now have something of great value that the Spurs might be interested in. Just a random thought...
Not interested. The stupidest of the stupid moves is to deal with the Spurs. Never ever deal with someone smarter than you are! NEVER!

I don't think WCS or Giles would fit well next to Ayton. Giles might in the future if he develops a 3 point shot.

Why would you draft a guy that size and then put him on the perimeter? Defeats the entire purpose of even drafting him because it's not like he's going to anchor your defense on the other end of the court and he's not a dead eye 3 point shooter either. I mean I wouldn't mind him stretching the floor once in a while but having him camped out on the perimeter while WCS and/or Giles work the interior is a waste of his talent.

I’m not so sure you can’t pair Bogi and Luca. How many times did Bogi pass the ball never to get it back? Add 2 hi IQ players like Giles and Luca and guys standing open at the 3 point line will get the ball.

Watch how Boston and GS move the ball. We would be much of the same.
This is somewhat of my thought process where you don't automatically draft Luka if the Suns take Ayton.

With Bagley you have a guy who rebounds out of his area, can make interior passes, can legitimately play 3/4/5....

His shot is going to come around too, the mechanics are there.

Did I also mention he has a lovely half hook?

And if you are going to build your team around De'Aaron, you want guys who can run with him. That guy is Bagley.

Then again Luka is a special talent and we have this gapping hole at the three.....

At this point deciding between these guys is a great "problem" to have! :p

I don't think WCS or Giles would fit well next to Ayton. Giles might in the future if he develops a 3 point shot.

Why would you draft a guy that size and then put him on the perimeter? Defeats the entire purpose of even drafting him because it's not like he's going to anchor your defense on the other end of the court and he's not a dead eye 3 point shooter either. I mean I wouldn't mind him stretching the floor once in a while but having him camped out on the perimeter while WCS and/or Giles work the interior is a waste of his talent.
True, but if you play him inside and dump the ball down low youre waisting Fox talents and Giles wants to play inside as well. Of course you dont want to park him in the corner but you can very well mix it up, let him play the pick and pop with Fox. Dont forget Ayton sees himself as a PF anyway.

This! I am a Doncic guy but Ayton/Giles is a terrific front court. They would fit each other perfectly. Offensively, Ayton has no problem playing on the perimeter and thus allowing Giles to play near the basket. Defensively I have some questions but both guys best attribute is probably switching. You and I have talked about a lot of playoff basketball and the importance of wings. But Ayton/Giles could be a match up nightmare in the playoffs I think. You cant really go small against them. They will punish you inside and on the boards. And defensively you could just switch 1-5.
I just wish we had at least SOME sort of read on what Giles can be. We're totally in the dark to what he can do on the floor and how much of his athleticism he's recovered. But Ayton isn't a guy you want to be setting up on the perimeter for offense. Giles would need to show he can hit the jumper for that pairing to work offensively. The whole point in drafting Ayton is you're getting a skilled weapon in the post that is virtually extinct and directly combats the new age NBA of getting smaller and smaller. You want him punishing teams for trying to go small and having to stay big on the floor. And with his athleticism, the hope is he can hang and hedge on the perimeter eventually.

Defensively though, Ayton and Giles is super tantalizing. Amazing size, length, athleticism (hopefully, in Giles case) that should be able to switch really effectively. Immediately would turn our weakness on the glass (WCS, Skal) into a strength. I love the idea of forcing teams to play to us too. If Giles and Ayton can hedge the PnR and defend out to the perimeter, it gives us such an insane size advantage.

Got to see what Giles can be though. Summer League is going to be an absolute blast.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
I just don't get the concerns about Ayton's defense. He's got the height, jumping ability, strength and quickness - all the tools to be very good or even great on defense. He has great athleticism in every category and a shooting touch to boot. The one question mark I have about him is his competitive fire. You can have all the tools in the world and if you don't have the passion for the game you aren't going to be a great player. To me, that's the one question Divac has to concern himself with if he's staring at Ayton at #2.

Last edited:
Maybe this will make Bricklayer come out of darkness and be a fan again?
If Anthony Davis and Cousins have a baby....and the Kings draft that baby....

THEN maybe he will come back ;P

Seriously though, I miss Bricks analysis on things. The dude is really knowledgeable when it comes to basketball. I hope he see's the false prophecy that is New Orleans, and decides to come home.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
Bagley has somewhat of an AD-like game, but only on the offensive end. For all the concern about Ayton underperforming on defense given his tools, Bagley was worse. He's not a rim protector at all and often looked lost on defense, even in a 2-3 zone.

I love his motor and offensive potential but he has some major flaws. But I also think he has a higher ceiling/more star potential than Jackson or Doncic even if his floor is likely lower.

I'd be over the moon with ayton at 2, the sun's take luka and we all move on.

My biggest fear is vlade not taking Ayton when he is on the clock
One of his patented trade downs?

Or to take things further, if we don't come out of this draft with Ayton or Doncic on the team, I'm going to throw a fit, but my real concern is Vlade maybe getting tunnel vision over Doncic and wanting to get him no matter what when there could be a perfectly good Ayton sitting at 2.

But we have Boggy!

Ayton
Doncic
Bagley Jr

Who the f is "Boggy"?
And "Mikail," is that the Russian dude?

I just wish we had at least SOME sort of read on what Giles can be. We're totally in the dark to what he can do on the floor and how much of his athleticism he's recovered. But Ayton isn't a guy you want to be setting up on the perimeter for offense. Giles would need to show he can hit the jumper for that pairing to work offensively. The whole point in drafting Ayton is you're getting a skilled weapon in the post that is virtually extinct and directly combats the new age NBA of getting smaller and smaller. You want him punishing teams for trying to go small and having to stay big on the floor. And with his athleticism, the hope is he can hang and hedge on the perimeter eventually.

Defensively though, Ayton and Giles is super tantalizing. Amazing size, length, athleticism (hopefully, in Giles case) that should be able to switch really effectively. Immediately would turn our weakness on the glass (WCS, Skal) into a strength. I love the idea of forcing teams to play to us too. If Giles and Ayton can hedge the PnR and defend out to the perimeter, it gives us such an insane size advantage.

Got to see what Giles can be though. Summer League is going to be an absolute blast.
True.
Regarding Ayton, I just dont think its either or. If the other team goes small, by all means, go inside and eat. Once they put a bigger slower guy on him, go outside and shoot 3s.
Agree, Giles/ayton is very interesting defensively. Honestly, i would feel better about Ayton on the Kings than on the Suns.