Well--the Kings ARE a playoff-quality team, YES?!

say they go 6-3 on the road and win their home games. That puts us right in the mix of things.
Without analyzing matchups, but just going on team records, here's my attempt. I am making assumptions that are as pro-winning as seem at all plausible.

Assumptions:
We have suddenly turned from a .420 team to a .620 team.
We win all games against EC teams that are not among the top 4, whether at home or on the road.
We win all home games against the top 4 EC teams, but lose to them on the road.
We win all games against WC teams that are below .570, whether home or road.
We win all home games against WC teams that are between .570 and .650, but lose to >.650 teams.
We lose road games that are against >.570 WC opponents.

Jan 23 @LAC W
Jan 25 @Uta L
Jan 27 @Sea W
Jan 30 v Cha W
Feb 1 v NO L
Feb 2 v Chi W
Feb 6 v Sea W
Feb 8 v Uta W
Feb 9 @GSW L
Feb 12 @Mem W
Feb 13 @Hou W
Feb 19 @Ptl L
Feb 20 v Atl W
Feb 22 @Cha W
Feb 24 @Orl L
Feb 26 @Mia W
Feb 27 @Atl W
Feb 29 @Dal L
Mar 2 v Mia W
Mar 4 v LAL L
Mar 5 @LAC W
Mar 7 v Min W
Mar 9 @LAL L
Mar 13 v Ptl W
Mar 15 @Phx L
Mar 16 v Tor W
Mar 18 v GSW W
Mar 21 @SAS L
Mar 22 @Mem W
Mar 24 @Hou L
Mar 26 v Mem W
Mar 28 v Was W
Mar 30 @Sea W
Apr 1 v Hou W
Apr 3 v LAC W
Apr 5 @Den L
Apr 6 v LAL L
Apr 8 @GSW L
Apr 11 v Ptl W
Apr 12 v NO L
Apr 14 v SAS L
Apr 15 @LAL L
-----------------
Result: 25-17, giving us a 43-39 record (.524), 11th place in the WC, and 15th draft pick.

This is why I have said that there is almost no chance of our changing our status significantly. We are already in 11th place in the WC, so even as dramatic a change as .420 to .620 does nothing, other than to drop us from 11th to 15th draft position. If we did the opposite, and dropped to .214 from here on out, we'd end up 27-55 (.329), STILL be #11 in the WC, and only get the 7th draft pick.

So whether you're hoping for playoffs or a top 5 draft pick, I think it's time to say, "there's always next year!"

Trading Artest for a draft pick is viable. I would do it because we need a PF, and PG. PG because of the possibility of trading Bibby, and not wanting to only have one PG in Beno. Even if it was a 15-20 pick We could still get Love, and Augustine type players.

I agree, you may be able to trade Artest, get back some crap that is expiring and a pick. So what kind of pick you think we need to get a rock solid PF out of the draft? you need a number 1, and there is NO gaurantee that pick will pan out at all. The draft is a crap shoot most of the time. Where do you think KM would go if the draft were held over? We dont just need any PG or PF, we need players that are ll star calibr, both bibby and artest are all star caliber.

Agree again... It doesn't help when you have a GM who goes out and spends every MLE you have on guys like Salmons, and Moore. Predicting future cap space w/ Geoff Petrie just isn't the right thing to do since he spends what space we have every year.

Are we all watching the same games? I think Mikki Moore hustles his a.. off, that alone makes him worthy of minutes. he rebounds ok, he is active, he has decent help defense, did I say he is active? He does not create on his own, but unless you have a top PF, who does? I like Moore and he feels a need. he isnt an all star, but last time I looked, not too many teams want to give up a 6-10 all star.

Salmons..... what more does he need to do to prove his worth. he was our best player over the last 2 months. he just needs to figure out where he now fits in and contribute where he is needed.

Hrm.. Don't agree with that. If we can get a draft pick somewhere in the 15-20 range than Bibby is expendable since we all know Petrie would use the picks on a PG, and a PF. At least I would hope so. We are not a playoff team. Not yet, but I like the direction we are going.

I also like the direction of the team, but trading Bibby and getting a pick iin the 20s is like rolling the dice. You draft the player, wait 2-3 years and pray like hell it works out. Heck if we still had last years coach, Francisco would still be riding the pine and wed be ready to sign him off as a waisted pick. I say keep Bibby until his contract expires, or resign him.

Trading Artest for a draft pick is viable. I would do it because we need a PF, and PG. PG because of the possibility of trading Bibby, and not wanting to only have one PG in Beno. Even if it was a 15-20 pick We could still get Love, and Augustine type players.
Just as an aside, I'm fine with Augustine, but I really hope we don't get Love. We picked the most unathletic big in the lottery last year, why do it twice in a row? We're already plenty slow enough without that.

I also like the direction of the team, but trading Bibby and getting a pick iin the 20s is like rolling the dice. You draft the player, wait 2-3 years and pray like hell it works out. Heck if we still had last years coach, Francisco would still be riding the pine and wed be ready to sign him off as a waisted pick. I say keep Bibby until his contract expires, or resign him.
If we were just to keep the players we have under contract right now, sign our draft picks and let Mike, Ron, KT, Reef and Mikki expire, I believe we would still only be $6 or $7 million under the cap, which is only a million or so above the MLE that we spend every summer anyway.

I don't think keeping our vets, especially the ones with value like Mike and Brad, is a good idea. It doesn't matter what we get back as long as we either a) shed salary, b) bring in affordable young talent, or c) get valuable first round draft picks. Any combination of the three works as well.

I like the players we have right now, but even if we let this team grow together, we are still missing a couple of vital pieces that we'd never be able to get without moving some of the players we have, which is going to completely change the scenery of the lineup. It would equate to treading water. The only real way to get better is to get worse and lay a solid foundation on which to build for the future. This conglomeration of misfit players we call a team isn't going to go anywhere. The sooner we realize that, the better.

I would think that consistancy would be the key.

Kings will not make the playoffs. And I never really hoped that they would.

Last edited:
yeah...

In all honesty I did say that the Kings would NOT make the playoffs, I probably made that prediction 2 games ago. I stood by my prediction after the big win and I still stand by my decision.

Personally, I'd love to see the team make the playoffs. I'd love to see a full Arco Arena. However, I think I'm going to go pull out some more of my hair

Edit:
Actually I said the Kings could make the playoffs according to the recent poll with this team. Then again I was a person that said the Kings could win 12+ games in January too. I'd like to see the best, but my reaction was a little bit premature.

Last edited:

piksi

Hall of Famer
In all honesty I did say that the Kings would NOT make the playoffs, I probably made that prediction 2 games ago. I stood by my prediction after the big win and I still stand by my decision.

Personally, I'd love to see the team make the playoffs. I'd love to see a full Arco Arena. However, I think I'm going to go pull out some more of my hair
that is a preseason prediction for everyone with enough objectivity

comon piksi, according to you and all of your game threads, the Kings are a playoff quality team,

That is being in position to win the playoff lottery for first pick

Last edited:

piksi

Hall of Famer
comon piksi, according to you and all of your game threads, the Kings are a playoff quality team,

That is being in position to win the playoff lottery for first pick
we are not winning the lottery because that requires skills also and we don't have them

I think this Kings team should focus on losing more games and getting a high draft pick. They aren't going anywhere with their current roster. They need muscles in the low post.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
A team should never TRY to lose games, no matter what

Its nothing more than semantics.

Deciding to make a focused effort to develop your youth, trading some of your vets for picks and kids who you hope develop, clearing salaried vets fro caproom all RESULT in more losses. But they are all moves that have other purposes than merely the losing. Its not the same as just benching your best players and playing your worst so you can lose. You are trying to develo a young team for the future. And then of course the extra losses help as well.

Its nothing more than semantics.

Deciding to make a focused effort to develop your youth, trading some of your vets for picks and kids who you hope develop, clearing salaried vets fro caproom all RESULT in more losses. But they are all moves that have other purposes than merely the losing. Its not the same as just benching your best players and playing your worst so you can lose. You are trying to develo a young team for the future. And then of course the extra losses help as well.
I agree with that, I just don't agree with the above poster who said our focus should be on losing games-that should not be the goal, our goal should be developing a talented ball club.

I agree with that, I just don't agree with the above poster who said our focus should be on losing games-that should not be the goal, our goal should be developing a talented ball club.
Losing games to acquire a franchise player is part of the process in developing a talented ball club.