Welcome to the Kings, Reggie Evans and Jason Terry

Is it possible Jason Terry never plays for the Sacramento Kings? @James_Ham asked HC Michael Malone pregame...

"No I wouldn't...I'm not going there right now. He's gonna come in and we'll have a chance to sit and get to know each other and be with the team and practice. But my main thing moving forward is Ben McLemore. And that's no disrespect to anybody, but we drafted Ben seventh and it's been an up and down season for him at times. But with these last 29 games, there's no pressure on this team. I want us to play together, I want us to play the right way. I want us to have fun and I also want to have a great opportunity to see Ben, Ray (McCallum), Carl (Landry) and Derrick (Williams). Especially to see what they're able to do with the last 29 games."

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
It sounds like Jason Terry's contract might get bought out, at least accoring to Rob Mcalister

"Malone made it clear several times in pregame interview Jason Terry may never touch the ball. Seems to me he may not be around long." - https://twitter.com/Rob_McAllister
Terry is a veteran presence who may be able to impart some wisdom to our young guards. He could assume control of the end of the bench, contributing knowledge without actually stepping onto the court.

rainmaker

Hall of Famer
Terry is a veteran presence who may be able to impart some wisdom to our young guards. He could assume control of the end of the bench, contributing knowledge without actually stepping onto the court.
I doubt he's up for that.

I put the odds of a buyout at greater than 50/50.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
Is it possible Jason Terry never plays for the Sacramento Kings? @James_Ham asked HC Michael Malone pregame...

"No I wouldn't...I'm not going there right now. He's gonna come in and we'll have a chance to sit and get to know each other and be with the team and practice. But my main thing moving forward is Ben McLemore. And that's no disrespect to anybody, but we drafted Ben seventh and it's been an up and down season for him at times. But with these last 29 games, there's no pressure on this team. I want us to play together, I want us to play the right way. I want us to have fun and I also want to have a great opportunity to see Ben, Ray (McCallum), Carl (Landry) and Derrick (Williams). Especially to see what they're able to do with the last 29 games."
Talk is cheap. I'll believe it when I see it.

rainmaker

Hall of Famer
Morgan Ragan ‏@momoragan 15m
Part 2: "...opportunity in these 29 games to let McLemore play, play heavy minutes every night.”
If it's next to IT, who regularly appears to not even acknowledge Ben's presence out there, let alone set him up, seems like a faulty strategy to me. If these last 29 games are meant to mean something in Ben's development and is a priority to Malone/PDA, our system and the way our SG's have been used all year has to change immediately or we need a new PG by tomorrow night.

More of the same doesn't help Ben. I don't consider standing in the corner, watching IT dribble in circles, whether for 10 mins or 25+ min a night as positive development. I don't even think Ben is ready to be thrown back into the starting lineup but IF that's what Malone/PDA want and to bump his mins, you've got to help him out a little.

Evans and Boogie on the boards should be loads of fun. If you gave Evans 20+ minutes, we all of a sudden have 2 top 5 rebounders in the NBA.

One thing's for damn sure though; we aren't soft in the post anymore. Might not be able to defend it very well, but we got a plethora of guys not afraid of contact.

Last edited:
K

KingMilz

Acy and Evans can be the NBA version of the Legion of Doom with Animal and Hawk from the good old WWF days.

If it's next to IT, who regularly appears to not even acknowledge Ben's presence out there, let alone set him up, seems like a faulty strategy to me. If these last 29 games are meant to mean something in Ben's development and is a priority to Malone/PDA, our system and the way our SG's have been used all year has to change immediately or we need a new PG by tomorrow night.
with the trade deadline tomorrow at noon, we can dream right!?

Nonsense. Total nonsense.

I doubt he ever gets near our bench or our players and is immediately offered a buyout.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Nonsense. Total nonsense.

I doubt he ever gets near our bench or our players and is immediately offered a buyout.
You could very well be right, which is precisely why I used the words "may" and "could"... until we actually know what PDA has in mind, yours is not the only possible scenario.

Entity

Hall of Famer
Great, are we developing Landry too? Our own 30 year old project?
We do seem to be going the wrong direction with age lol. Nah I agree both these contract are more movable than thornton s. Evans is insurance because gray will be gone and you never know what draft day will hold for us. I can see it now. Yeah team a you can have the 3rd pick IF you take Landry/JT and give us ????

We barely saved any money on this trade and i'm not so sure Terry and Evans make this team any better than it was before. Terry is 36, does he have anything left in the tank? Will Evans even play? we have like 20 Power Forwards already

Well, at some point, when there's no backup PFs left, and teams are forced to play their SFs out of position, you go and pound them inside. :p

What JT really brings at this point is years or experience, Jewelry and a serious vet presence in the locker room. In the 10 min or so he should see in court time he can produce some points and will leave more time for Ben and Jimmer to play/develop.
This is an important piece of what we do need. It's not the homerun we were hoping for, but let's not look at trade results in only those terms. I say: 1) very good that Thornton is gone. 2) Got a legit player in Reggie Evans. 3) Got a legit locker room vet presence in Terry. and 4) Cleared space for some of our young guards to get that coveted PT we were always saying previous regimes never alotted in order to develop.

I think we have a few more growing pains to go through before we step on the accelerator. We DO have to find out if McLemore can develop, and it's no shocker that management isn't giving up on him after half a season. Our bi-polar fan base may disagree. We're going to give Ben EVERY chance in the world to develop into a real player.

I sometimes think there's a bit of a disconnect between the drafts of yesteryear and modern day. While there are some ready made players still coming out of the draft... expectations definitely need to be tempered due to so many 19/20 year olds coming out. The raw talent rises to the top more frequently now, but with that comes gaps in skill sets, that had often times previously been developed by solid, fundamental college coaching. That's just not happening now. So let's give our rookies some time. Even Jimmer I can see still improving, and could become a real weapon, even for us.

So let's all relax, knowing we have owners who care, are trying, and are also willing to develop youth. It might be another year or so before we can sniff playoffs. Personally, if by the opening of the new arena we're at least a .500 team with a shot at playoffs, on it's way up, I'll consider that a win.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
This is an important piece of what we do need. It's not the homerun we were hoping for, but let's not look at trade results in only those terms. I say: 1) very good that Thornton is gone. 2) Got a legit player in Reggie Evans. 3) Got a legit locker room vet presence in Terry. and 4) Cleared space for some of our young guards to get that coveted PT we were always saying previous regimes never alotted in order to develop.

I think we have a few more growing pains to go through before we step on the accelerator. We DO have to find out if McLemore can develop, and it's no shocker that management isn't giving up on him after half a season. Our bi-polar fan base may disagree. We're going to give Ben EVERY chance in the world to develop into a real player.

I sometimes think there's a bit of a disconnect between the drafts of yesteryear and modern day. While there are some ready made players still coming out of the draft... expectations definitely need to be tempered due to so many 19/20 year olds coming out. The raw talent rises to the top more frequently now, but with that comes gaps in skill sets, that had often times previously been developed by solid, fundamental college coaching. That's just not happening now. So let's give our rookies some time. Even Jimmer I can see still improving, and could become a real weapon, even for us.

So let's all relax, knowing we have owners who care, are trying, and are also willing to develop youth. It might be another year or so before we can sniff playoffs. Personally, if by the opening of the new arena we're at least a .500 team with a shot at playoffs, on it's way up, I'll consider that a win.
We had a 19/20 year old who was a real talent. Averaged 20-5-5. that's what 19-20 year olds can do when they have real talent.

Now we have an OLDER player, who can't dribble or defend. Its like a taller Jimmer as a rookie.

The bigger problem with Ben is that now he can NOT develop/show anything. or at least not enough. The very best, very peak he can possibly do now in these last 28 games is show some flashes. That's it. The reason? Because we kept the IT/Gay/Cousins trio together, and IT is a great destroyer of SGs. He is a SG himself, and one who gets to control the ball and decide when he wants to shoot. Throw in Gay bookending him and Cousins who frankly should be getting MORE attention than he does from those two, and Ben has no more chance than Thornton did. Maybe 8 shots a game if we can even tolerate playing him that long. So the best he can possibly do now is have a game here, a game there, show some promise, maybe have a stretch of 3 or 4 double figure games in a row, etc. In other words, there is now no possibility for him to answer the question the front office claims it wants answered, about whether he is the guy going forward. He could at least show enough to remove the Austin Rivers/TRob washout vibe, and that would be nice. But all that would do for next year is say he should be on the roster. It wouldn't answer at all whether we can depend on him once we try to turn the corner and start winning. It wouldn't give us any guidance about whether we need to reinforce the position over the summer.