Welcome Jalen McDaniels

Davion has a little value but I think people here underestimated Sasha's negative value ... He was bad overall last year, and Sac needed to trade him. Of course you have to attach pick for a team taking a flyer on him.
That's the real thing here. I think people are now seeing what happens from Holmes and on to this when your players are devalued via role and opportunity. Now, Monte needs to get on moving one of Barnes or Huerter to make sure their already tarnished value doesn't sink to the pits.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
we didn’t have to, just pay the tax like every other contending team. 2 ender contracts totaling 13 mil is nothing really. Now if we bring in a 40 mil dollar player that’s a different story. Even then you could prob have dumped them to a team with leftover cap space at the end of free agency. They must be pretty sure a big trade is happening or a MLE will be inked
Paying the tax used to be paying the tax with zero other implications. It now takes a capologist to understand all the restrictions on roster moves with the apron restrictions and a lot of the trade tools are broken and even some of the experts are frequently wrong about whether trades work under the new rules.

It's best to be under the apron at least entering the July 1 start of the official NBA 24/25 year.

Paying the tax used to be paying the tax with zero other implications. It now takes a capologist to understand all the restrictions on roster moves with the apron restrictions and a lot of the trade tools are broken and even some of the experts are frequently wrong about whether trades work under the new rules.

It's best to be under the apron at least entering the July 1 start of the official NBA 24/25 year.
for the most part i agree but we aren’t talking second apron here. How many of the playoff teams are at the tax line? Have to imagine it’s most of them.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
for the most part i agree but we aren’t talking second apron here. How many of the playoff teams are at the tax line? Have to imagine it’s most of them.
First apron bars us from using the full MLE and given how many teams are over it having the full MLE will be a competitive advantage this offseason.
It also blocks teams from taking back the % of extra money in trades and eliminates all trade exceptions.

There's real impacts to it.

Woj says it's about saving money and getting an open roster spot
Creating an open roster space is the biggest piece of information in this deal
I think it will make a lot of sense very soon. 14 million under that 1st apron is apparently a very big deal
If this is a precursor to absorbing the contract of that albatross in Washington via another trade -- I'm going to be extremely disappointed, as ALL KINGS fans should be.

Let's all hope that Monte McNair has better vision than that.

First apron bars us from using the full MLE and given how many teams are over it having the full MLE will be a competitive advantage this offseason.
It also blocks teams from taking back the % of extra money in trades and eliminates all trade exceptions.

There's real impacts to it.
well he better be pretty sure he has a player out there that is worth more than 7 mil and less than 13 ready to sign on the dotted line or we just gave up cheap assets for nothing.

The free agent class is not very good either. Jonas, Oubre, Toppin, Smith, Bey, Okoro are some names that might be in this price range but I’d imagine the restricted guys will likely get matched other than maybe Bey. Don’t know what 12 mil dollar player we can absorb into the MLE “cap space” if we try via trade. Maybe they plan to try for a sign and trade with Indiana for Toppin but not sure he is worth a future first

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
well he better be pretty sure he has a player out there that is worth more than 7 mil and less than 13 ready to sign on the dotted line or we just gave up cheap assets for nothing.

The free agent class is not very good either. Jonas, Oubre, Toppin, Smith, Bey, Okoro are some names that might be in this price range but I’d imagine the restricted guys will likely get matched other than maybe Bey. Don’t know what 12 mil dollar player we can absorb into the MLE “cap space” if we try via trade. Maybe they plan to try for a sign and trade with Indiana for Toppin but not sure he is worth a future first
Just to be clear - if we were over the apron and we traded Kevin and Barnes together we couldn't combine and add 10% or whatever it is to their salaries to take a high $$ player back. The receiving team if they were over the line, they have also have rules about combining salaries, etc in trade.

I think sign and trades on restricted players will become more common with these rules but we won't know for another week. Teams won't want to be stuck paying market value on an asset that they can't trade for half the season and they can't trade to the team that set the market price either for a full year with all these apron restrictions hampering the rest of their roster flexibility just so they don't lose guys for nothing - they'll be more inclined to get a better fitting piece back even if it is not the best piece.

If this is a precursor to absorbing the contract of that albatross in Washington via another trade -- I'm going to be extremely disappointed, as ALL KINGS fans should be.

I truly think if we wanted Kuzma as bad as everyone's been assuming, he would have been here already. I really don't see it

Now that you mention it, I'm not sure he's been the same since that contest
He hasn't. That destroyed his confidence. There were flashes of 'the old Velvet' after but you're right, he lost something. Catch and shoot jump shooters are the worst for those contests.

Edit: that being said, Keegan would be perfect for a 3pt contest. He is very fluid in his gather and release. No wasted motions, no hitch like Huerter has.

He hasn't. That destroyed his confidence. There were flashes of 'the old Velvet' after but you're right, he lost something. Catch and shoot jump shooters are the worst for those contests.

Edit: that being said, Keegan would be perfect for a 3pt contest. He is very fluid in his gather and release. No wasted motions, no hitch like Huerter has.
Maybe a lesson there. There's little to gain in your career from that contest. If you're a very good/great shooter going in, you probably won't be better in actual games by winning an exhibition contest. If it goes bad, you might come out if it with doubt and a loss of confidence

I feel like there is obviously a trade looming, otherwise there is no reason to rush a dump like this (throwing in Portland's 2nd rounder).
I would feel that way and then I remember what happened last year. Monte’s best asset supposedly is drafting. So why does he keep dumping picks for nothing?

between this draft, US Soccer and the Debate hard to tell what is worse.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
I would feel that way and then I remember what happened last year. Monte’s best asset supposedly is drafting. So why does he keep dumping picks for nothing?

I can tell you that this draft is the clear winner in the best category.

He definitely doesn't think he's traded these picks for nothing. Lets see how the rest of this off season goes. I know it's hard to be patient, but free agency hasn't even started.

If nothing better than a couple of 2nd round picks is added before training camp, then you will have a point

He definitely doesn't think he's traded these picks for nothing. Lets see how the rest of this off season goes. I know it's hard to be patient, but free agency hasn't even started.

If nothing better than a couple of 2nd round picks is added before training camp, then you will have a point
Yeah, if you land a Obi/Jalen Smith/Okoro/Naji Marshall with the MLE, you gladly flip 2 2nds, Sasha and Davion for any of those guys. Or if this helps facilitate a bigger trade with us taking cash back.

On it's own, it's woof. But I think there's enough smoke that Monte knows he cannot just sit on his hands this off-season. If he does, it's a massive massive blunder. Hitting a home-run pick won't save his off-season grade.

Am I the only one who doesn't value second round picks very much? Most of us are excited about the potential of Colby Jones, but if we took another second rounder after not trading the first rounder, he'd probably never see meaningful minutes for a year or two... Or Colby wouldn't. I get they are dart throws but there are only so many minutes to go around.

Jalen McD is probably as good as one of these second rounders and has some potential still. Welcome, hope you stick Jalen!

Are we just convinced McDaniels was a random throw in in a salary dump and not a player the Kings identified as an actual target for the team moving forward.
Good question. Likely. Looking at their roster he's the only one you can probably be convinced he wasn't in any plans. They certainly weren't trading the Kings Dick or Agbaji. Well, I mean I guess the Kings kind of got the first one, harharhar. It would have been nice to see a deal for Brown instead but the Raptors might not have wanted to have any long term salary like Huerter or Barnes at this point. This trade is just basically a free look for them in a way.

Am I the only one who doesn't value second round picks very much? Most of us are excited about the potential of Colby Jones, but if we took another second rounder after not trading the first rounder, he'd probably never see meaningful minutes for a year or two... Or Colby wouldn't. I get they are dart throws but there are only so many minutes to go around.

Jalen McD is probably as good as one of these second rounders and has some potential still. Welcome, hope you stick Jalen!
They aren't valuable... until one of them ends up being Keon Eliis (UDFA/2nd round, same thing).

I have 0 issue with using them as trade chips... as long as something materializes. We do already have a decent amount of developmental guys (Kessler/Slawson/Colby) and this is a team that's trying to go win games now. I don't hate McDaniels, I wanted us to take a look at hime last off-season. But man was he bad bad. So he'd be another guy you'd throw in that "development/experiment" bucket, assuming he's not included as salary in a deal this off-season

The Kings still have to send out close to equal money so truly absorbing anything can't even happen. The Kings are still over the cap. If the Kings trade for big money, it's Huerter and Barnes going the other way at this juncture. The only thing this does right now is give Monte the ability to have about twice as much in the MLE than he had before since he can use the full version, not the reduced. Also more space in general because I guess if Monte even uses the MLE the Kings are hard capped at the first apron which is actually still only about 4 million away with the Kings current cap holds accounted for last I checked. Not much wiggle room at all.

Last edited:
Yeah, if you land a Obi/Jalen Smith/Okoro/Naji Marshall with the MLE, you gladly flip 2 2nds, Sasha and Davion for any of those guys. Or if this helps facilitate a bigger trade with us taking cash back.

On it's own, it's woof. But I think there's enough smoke that Monte knows he cannot just sit on his hands this off-season. If he does, it's a massive massive blunder. Hitting a home-run pick won't save his off-season grade.
He just better not stack any positions. The G spot is still full with Huerter here, so for real now, NO GUARDS! lol.

They aren't valuable... until one of them ends up being Keon Eliis (UDFA/2nd round, same thing).

I have 0 issue with using them as trade chips... as long as something materializes. We do already have a decent amount of developmental guys (Kessler/Slawson/Colby) and this is a team that's trying to go win games now. I don't hate McDaniels, I wanted us to take a look at hime last off-season. But man was he bad bad. So he'd be another guy you'd throw in that "development/experiment" bucket, assuming he's not included as salary in a deal this off-season
Keon Ellis proves the point that second rounders are pretty much zero value. There are still plenty of 'second rounders' that get signed straight away after the draft.

Keon Ellis proves the point that second rounders are pretty much zero value. There are still plenty of 'second rounders' that get signed straight away after the draft.
what?

I mean, i guess the UDFA market is basically all predetermined at this point where guys negotiate beforehand, but why not have a 2nd round pick AND go win in the UDFA market? More shots to find another Keon Ellis is good.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
I imagine the first 10 or so might be in loaded drafts but the best players are always off limits to bad teams unless they guarantee the contracts the same as a first round pick. Otherwise their agents say "we will not sign a two-way contract with your team" and so far most GMs have blinked first.

I wonder if the ratings were bad today the NBA just **** cans the 2nd round altogether haha. Yeah, in most drafts once out of the top 20 picks or so, scouting and talent evaluation > picks. I can't remember what the percentages were but it's pretty low odds for most 2nd round picks even sticking very long in the NBA. The G league is as good of a bet as 2nd round picks at this point along with 2 way contracts.