Welcome Jalen McDaniels

In my mind, he's looking to add someone to play the 4 and keep Murray at the 3. For which at the time being, they still need someone to back up Murray
We do this every year too. Work out the minutes that doesn't involve some dream scenario of a 12 man rotation. People also said Lyles and Sasha wouldn't get in eachothers way. It's just not how it happens in reality. A coach is eventually going to go with the guns that are firing and all else be darned.

If you set aside our “core” I would rank our assets as follows:

1)2)3)future first round picks (3)
4)Kev - young and cost controlled young player
5)Portland’s second rounder in great draft
6) HB - better than kings fan think but only has value to playoff teams
7) Colby

We gave up our 5th best asset to get rid of low salary players. That really seems insane. There were 6 other teams with cap space, none would take them for free? There were no teams that would trade us a lower salary player like say a 2 mil dollar deal? We traded a pick that will likely grade out as a first rounder in a draft like this. Two “first round graded” salary dumps in two years is really bad.

I won’t rant on this any further but dang.
I would have Davion between Kev and Portland pick. Cheap and has played well when given chance to start.

We do this every year too. Work out the minutes that doesn't involve some dream scenario of a 12 man rotation. People also said Lyles and Sasha wouldn't get in eachothers way. It's just not how it happens in reality. A coach is eventually going to go with the guns that are firing and all else be darned.
Yeah, I'm not high on Huerter. So want to see him moved.

I'd rather keep developing Colby Jones

Difference here is that Huerter is already under contract. This isn’t a “should we offer him a contract?” Situation but a “do we really need to unload him at the very first opportunity?” Situation.
The result is the same, cap anchor if he gets pushed out of your rotation. The Kings might be under the tax for TODAY. They aren't clear from it for tomorrow. The deep end of bench guys are better off being lower paid potential guys. So, just for F's sake, work out the minutes too. What does backup SF minutes on the Kings look like right now? I can guess, somewhere around what you saw from Sasha most likely since a G will at some point gobble up some of those minutes, just like Duarte did last season.

Yeah, I'm not high on Huerter. So want to see him moved.

I'd rather keep developing Colby Jones
Yeah, if you want one of your G's to get that 5th guard, backup SF role, let it be him. Even right now Jalen McDaniels could could be passable enough for those whopping 14-16 backup SF minutes. Split those between Carter/Keon and him and you're already set anyway.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
Not now, but the 8 ball says, "Potentially heading that way" when most of his minutes go POOF!
I am fully on board with moving him now just for the record, just don't see it being worst case if we have him this year. He will have a reduced role but his money is not high, his contract is not overly long, he does play better defense (and cheaper) than Buddy and generally a positive in the locker room and good guy with fans so I think he'll have value.

Again I see Pacers (haven't looked at their draft but I think they gave up most capital in the deal for Siakam) as an optimal landing spot since they did appear to miss Buddy's shooting but not his lack of D and we seem to have a friendly relationship with their FO. S&T for Toppin works for all I think and we might even keep our MLE. Although I also like making a play for Naji and then still having Kev as a trade chip.

I am fully on board with moving him now just for the record, just don't see it being worst case if we have him this year. He will have a reduced role but his money is not high, his contract is not overly long, he does play better defense (and cheaper) than Buddy and generally a positive in the locker room and good guy with fans so I think he'll have value.

Again I see Pacers (haven't looked at their draft but I think they gave up most capital in the deal for Siakam) as an optimal landing spot since they did appear to miss Buddy's shooting but not his lack of D and we seem to have a friendly relationship with their FO. S&T for Toppin works for all I think and we might even keep our MLE. Although I also like making a play for Naji and then still having Kev as a trade chip.
I disagree when you consider the Kings if using the full MLE will likely be a tax team. My guess is Monte isn't going to quit on the Huerter/Barnes packages either via sign and trade come FA or to condense them into another starter along with picks. As the Kings sit, backup C is a much bigger question mark. The Kings still have Duarte, Jones, Keon/Carter, now McDaniels. That's enough to cover those minimal needs at this point.

PG13 is the one to watch in FA. Now, it sounds like the Warriors are the probable destination if he leaves and they have better potential trade assets maybe. Their sign and trade package is probably Wiggins/filler. Wonder if the Clipps would like Huerter and Barnes more???

Thing about Huerter is that small forward is probably his best position defensively and he no longer has to worry about constantly guarding elite guards at the POA like he had to for the first 1.5 seasons he was here thanks to Keon and Devin being studs. I’d much rather keep him than just move him for the sake of moving him.
Imagine Huerter attempting to guard guys like Ingram and Durant and Tatum or the Bridges.

Anyone remember when we traded a 1st round pick to dump Richaun Holmes and do absolutely nothing else?

how do we keep getting fleeced in these salary dumps?

edit: god. I made this comment before I realized we gave up Portland’s 2nd round pick too….what are we doing…

Last edited:
I don't understand salary dumping lower salary players. It's one thing to dump Rashaun or Huerter for flexibility. But unless he has a move already setup, this doesn't look good. I don't like creating space just in case you can make a move. You turned 2 backend rotation players into a single worse backend rotation player. I get palpatations thinking about dumping picks to sign Bellineli, Rondo, Koufos, and Butler.

I don't understand salary dumping lower salary players. It's one thing to dump Rashaun or Huerter for flexibility. But unless he has a move already setup, this doesn't look good. I don't like creating space just in case you can make a move. You turned 2 backend rotation players into a single worse backend rotation player. I get palpatations thinking about dumping picks to sign Bellineli, Rondo, Koufos, and Butler.
He had to get out of the tax before FA somehow. He might have been stuck other wise. And it took Monte a 1st rounder to dump Holmes. Huerter would have to be wanted by a cap space team to make that work and while not overpaid, he's not super easy to move salary wise and Monte likely thinks he can use him in a trade as value, not just as a salary dump. Most teams with cap space would probably want that space until they lose out in FA if they do. Obviously, Monte has been talking the Raptors many, many times over the last year or so. He likely knew they were somewhat interested in Mitchell and Sasha. They were probably involved in packages for both OG and Siakam at some point.

He had to get out of the tax before FA somehow. He might have been stuck other wise. And it took Monte a 1st rounder to dump Holmes. Huerter would have to be wanted by a cap space team to make that work and while not overpaid, he's not super easy to move salary wise and Monte likely thinks he can use him in a trade as value, not just as a salary dump. Most teams with cap space would probably want that space until they lose out in FA if they do. Obviously, Monte has been talking the Raptors many, many times over the last year or so. He likely knew they were somewhat interested in Mitchell and Sasha. They were probably involved in packages for both OG and Siakam at some point.
we didn’t have to, just pay the tax like every other contending team. 2 ender contracts totaling 13 mil is nothing really. Now if we bring in a 40 mil dollar player that’s a different story. Even then you could prob have dumped them to a team with leftover cap space at the end of free agency. They must be pretty sure a big trade is happening or a MLE will be inked

we didn’t have to, just pay the tax like every other contending team. 2 ender contracts totaling 13 mil is nothing really. Now if we bring in a 40 mil dollar player that’s a different story. Even then you could prob have dumped them to a team with leftover cap space at the end of free agency. They must be pretty sure a big trade is happening or a MLE will be inked
I think the key word there is CONTENDING, one of these things is not like the others. haha. My guess is the goal is a big trade. They could have just stayed over but then he doesn't have the full MLE in a worst case. He could have dumped them later but my guess is he didn't want to be left holding the bag. If it's like the way the Holmes trade ended up, it's another ding on his record, no question.