Welcome Davion Mitchell

I imagine that's why he's always scoring 17 PTs on 17 shots even during this hot stretch offensively.

And once the rookie shine wears off, his tendency to iso and stop ball is really going to annoy this fanbase.
I'm going to give him more time before I come to this type of conclusion.

Anthony Edwards was basically getting 1 point per shot most of the time last year and his metrics were really bad but I'd rather have a rookie that comes out and does that, than have a rookie that is too timid and has trouble finding his footing. Davion doesn't strike me as a ball hog or stopper because he's selfish, I think he's just trying to figure out his way at the moment. Teams are sagging off of him and letting him shoot so he's taking the shot. Most of his shots aren't wild attempts or real poor decisions, they just aren't going in at a high rate right now. I'm hoping he kind of pulls a poor man's Edwards and is able to reel it in next year and take that step ahead to become at least an average scorer.

It also doesn't help that there is almost no movement on offense other than guys just wanting to get the ball behind the 3 point line. He has a 3:1 AST/TO ratio so it's possible that he's just being a little too careful with the ball to make sure he isn't turning it over and that is cutting into his assists as well as adding to his bricks.

Davion as a starter:

7 games
33.5 MPG
18.1 PPG
5.0 APG
1.6 TOV
55.8% TS
36.7% 3pt (7 3PA/game)
25% FT (0.6 FTA/game)

The strange aversion to not getting FT's aside, this is excellent, excellent progress from his offensive game earlier in the year. You can absolutely work with this as the compliment to Hali while taking the toughest defensive guard assignment. Kings need to figure out how to keep him in the starting 5 and his momentum going up. Not revert him back to the bench.

Davion as a starter:

7 games
33.5 MPG
18.1 PPG
5.0 APG
1.6 TOV
55.8% TS
36.7% 3pt (7 3PA/game)
25% FT (0.6 FTA/game)

The strange aversion to not getting FT's aside, this is excellent, excellent progress from his offensive game earlier in the year. You can absolutely work with this as the compliment to Hali while taking the toughest defensive guard assignment. Kings need to figure out how to keep him in the starting 5 and his momentum going up. Not revert him back to the bench.
There is a way but you might not like it...

Kingster

Hall of Famer
He's a coach's dream. The only thing you have to worry about is whether he's working out too much. What a worry. :rolleyes: I like the combination of him and Halliburton.

I've actually been for trading Fox and the entire Vlade core for awhile now. I just don't think you sell him for pennies on the dollar like Portland just did with CJ and their starting 5.
The problem is he entire league doesn't value them like Monte or this board. The time to trade Fox was during the summer. The time to trade Barnes was last trading deadline. Now teams know you have to trade Barnes or he just loses more value and becomes an expiring and so they offer less. It's a recurring pattern under Vivek. Hold on to the bitter end in a hope to make the play-offs than watch your players walk for nothing or much less than you could have returned.
Cousins- Waited to late
Bogi - let walk for nothing
Barnes - should have traded last year
Fox - should have traded this summer

This is with a near even split minutes wise too with 1639 minutes on the floor and 1787 minutes with him off. Pretty amazing defensive impact for a rookie guard.

He's got to figure out the offensive inconsistency, but if he does, there's potential for a high level starter here. The last 5 games have looked fairly promising from that perspective:

25.6 MPG
13.4 PPG
3.0 APG
1.8 RPG
40% from 3 (5 3pA/game)
60.7% TS (very nice!)

This is with a near even split minutes wise too with 1639 minutes on the floor and 1787 minutes with him off. Pretty amazing defensive impact for a rookie guard.

He's got to figure out the offensive inconsistency, but if he does, there's potential for a high level starter here. The last 5 games have looked fairly promising from that perspective:

25.6 MPG
13.4 PPG
3.0 APG
1.8 RPG
40% from 3 (5 3pA/game)
60.7% TS (very nice!)
The thing that gives me confidence about this dude’s offense is that he just needs to get more efficient with what he is already doing, and add some more playmaking off the pick-and-roll. He’s already shown he can get to the rim, make the right pass, catch and shoot 3’s and create space off the dribble for his jumper. He doesn’t turn the ball over much and knows where to be on the court. I think with an off-season to refine his game and a clearer role in the offense, he can be a 14 ppg player with good efficiency numbers next year.