Voisin: Duncan's sore foot difficult to ignore

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
http://www.sacbee.com/content/sports/basketball/kings/story/14246638p-15064467c.html

Ailene Voisin: Duncan's sore foot difficult to ignore
By Ailene Voisin -- Bee Columnist
Published 2:15 am PDT Saturday, April 22, 2006

SAN ANTONIO - The sexiest matchup features Mike Bibby and Tony Parker, the most intriguing, unpredictable personality belongs to Ron Artest, and the distance between the seedings - the No. 1 Spurs against the No. 8 Kings - already is generating chatter about historic upsets and hidden prospects for the gold-diggers from northern California.

But this series is about a foot, not a foot-in-the-mouth problem.

In other words, if the San Antonio Spurs are a bit defensive - and they are - it's probably because Tim Duncan has been treading tenderly on a sore right foot, leaving the defending champs typically underappreciated but far more vulnerable than usual.

True, as the postseason approaches, players spend more time on the training table than on their cell phones, and Manu Ginobili, Nick Van Exel, Kevin Martin, Francisco García and Artest, in fact, have their own assorted wounds to nurse.

This is different, though, because this is Duncan.

He dictates, he dominates. He's a series breaker.

With rare exceptions - and at the moment, none come to mind - the two-time MVP is the most complete player on the court, the one who makes all the important franchise decisions. More subtle than spectacular, he controls his environment with footwork, with the full complement of basketball skills. The bank shots, the blocked shots, the passes, the rebounds. The intuitive understanding of when to assert his authority and call for the ball, and when to entice crucial contributions from his teammates, with little or no motion wasted; indeed, energy is expended on a smile only occasionally, his other emotions revealed almost as infrequently.

Even on the eve of the series opener, it wasn't until someone mentioned Artest's prediction - Kings prevailing, of course - that the 6-foot-11, 260-pound Duncan reacted in a manner that, given his understated demeanor, qualified as a mini-eruption.

"Are all these comments in the playoffs?" he began, his voice leaping a couple of octaves, his left leg bouncing wildly. "You gotta play the game. It doesn't matter what people say. I can sit here and say all I want, but we gotta go out there and play the games. Let the games speak for themselves. ... We're not going to disrespect them ... or look past them. ... We understand our opponent."

Yet no one really knows Duncan, or rather, the extent of his discomfort from plantar fasciitis, an ailment commonly described as a painful arch and heel. Though the Spurs established a franchise record with 63 regular-season victories, considerable credit has been given to the emergence of Parker, a first-time All-Star, and a supporting reserve cast strengthened last summer with the addition of Van Exel, Michael Finley and Fabricio Oberto.

Still, at their postseason best, these are the Spurs.

Working inside to Duncan, then outside to everyone else.

Ginobili creating, often creating havoc.

Parker penetrating, passing, putting up teardrops.

Bruce Bowen looming, locking up opponents.

And defensively, few teams resist as stubbornly as the Spurs, both on the perimeter, where they contest jump shots, and in the interior, where they converge, rotate and recover, swarm for rebounds, and in general make opponents work double shifts for every single field goal.

But these are not those Spurs, at least not yet, mainly because Duncan has not been Duncan.

He has lacked explosiveness around the basket, missed an inordinate number of bank shots, especially from the left side, runs the floor like a much older player.

Or like someone with a bum foot.

"It was a tough season," he acknowledged. "My numbers are down, of course, and I've been up or down on the injury front. There were times where I wasn't as confident as others."

Bowen, however, noted that "he was hurt last year too," and suggested the Spurs have relied too heavily on Parker's brilliance, at times becoming infatuated with the jump shot.

"You gotta get back to the basics," he said, "and I like the way we were doing that during the latter course of the season. That's our foundation. Everyone understands that we benefit from what he (Duncan) does. And in order for us to benefit from what he does, we have to use him first and foremost. (But) he's not the type of person to say, 'Hey, hey, hey, y'all better get me the ball or else.' "

So here they come, they hope, the same old Spurs.

No excuses. No predictions, either.

"We'd rather fly low and come up big when we need to," added Bowen, with a slight smile.

About the writer: Reach Ailene Voisin at (916) 321-1208 or avoisin@sacbee.com.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
"Are all these comments in the playoffs?" he began, his voice leaping a couple of octaves, his left leg bouncing wildly. "You gotta play the game. It doesn't matter what people say. I can sit here and say all I want, but we gotta go out there and play the games. Let the games speak for themselves. ... We're not going to disrespect them ... or look past them. ... We understand our opponent."
Looks like a little over-reaction on the part of Duncan to me. Nobody has disrespected the Spurs. No one has looked past them. If anything, I think this shows the formerly unstoppable Tim Duncan is a little more concerned than in years past. I have to wonder at this point just how much his foot problems are going to hamper his possible performance...

I am not unestimating the Spurs but I'm not going to underestimate the problems encountered with a bad foot either - we Kings fans have been down that road a couple of times. It ain't pretty.

Last edited:

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Okay, I wanted to say something like "that's not nice" or "that would be unsportsmanlike"...

And then I remembered some of the stuff Bruce Bowen has done in the past.

Duncan can say all he wants, his team is not the widely perceived underdog here. The Spurs aren't the ones that need the fire lit underneath them. Oh, and Voisin needs to stop making excuses for Duncan.

Last edited:

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I don't think Voisin is making excuses for Duncan. If anything, I think she's pointing out the exact opposite.

In other words, if the San Antonio Spurs are a bit defensive - and they are - it's probably because Tim Duncan has been treading tenderly on a sore right foot, leaving the defending champs typically underappreciated but far more vulnerable than usual.
I don't think anyone is going to deny that Duncan's nagging foot problem has had an effect on his performance this year. And, in the playoffs, everything is intensified.

I thought the article actually showed the reigning champs are well aware they may have feet of clay.

VF21 said:
Looks like a little over-reaction on the part of Duncan to me. Nobody has disrespected the Spurs. No one has looked past them.
Artest said that we're going to win the first round. I know that when we were the #1 seed and Karl Malone said Utah would win the first round... I would definitely consider that disrespect and looking past us.

Well I suppose you're right VF, nobody really cared when Webber went down, or if one of our star players was injured. I guess I'm just concerned that IF we do happen to win (notice the big IF), it will be due to Duncan's injury, and I thought Voisin was making light of that. But really IF we do win, that will be probably the furthest from my mind.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
kingkung said:
Artest said that we're going to win the first round. I know that when we were the #1 seed and Karl Malone said Utah would win the first round... I would definitely consider that disrespect and looking past us.
Then you are entirely too sensitive.

Disrespect because he says he believes his team can beat your team? That isn't disrespect.

And I wouldn't have considered anything Malone said to be anything more than a confident player expressing faith and confidence in himself and his team.

Unless, of course, he did as Shaq used to do. His comments, that included insults to the fans, the city of Sacramento and the team ("Queens" ring any bells?), WERE disrespectful.

There is a tremendous difference.

WHEN we win this series, i dont want to hear anyone saying "its was all because of Duncan's injury"...

F that, Sacramento over the years has been screwed by injuries worse then any other team...

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
If we win, and Duncan has a less than normal series, then at least a part of the win WILL be attributable to his injury just like the reason the Mavericks beat us in 2004 was at least in part because Webber crumpled to the floor and didn't get back up.

Why wouldn't we acknowledge the obvious? If we win, we win. Who cares if it's due in part to an injured MVP? It's a win.

Let's face it. If an 8th seed manages to defeat a 1st seed, all the questions will be about the Spurs. Everybody will be offering up all the reasons the Spurs lost, instead of reasons the Kings won. So what. I'll take the win. Injuries always influence the playoffs.

VF21 said:
Then you are entirely too sensitive.

Disrespect because he says he believes his team can beat your team? That isn't disrespect.
That's your opinion. One can argue whether it's disrespectul or not, but, personally, I can't think of a better definition of "looking past" a team than a player on an 8th-seeded team saying "We're going to win the 1st round" against the defending champions. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Being arrogant of full of self confidence ? Well, i am willing to put a wager if you put the judgement on the non partisan audience, that kinda comment from Artest -with the situation surrounding it, fact that his team actually are the underdog- would be judged as an arrogant one. Can't sugarcoat thing that alreay is pretty blunt and clear, like the disrespectful shot that Mohammed took lastnite, for that he got CHEWED by coach Popovich afterward. Story's here :..............Spurs notebook: Mohammed's last shot not so hot.............http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/...MYSA042306.14C.BKNspurs.notebook.31284ce.html
...........The partisan crowd at the AT&T Center loved it Saturday when Spurs center Nazr Mohammed fired up — and made — a 3-point shot with 25.9 seconds left in Game 1 of the Spurs' first-round playoff series against the Sacramento Kings..........................

Spurs' coach Gregg Popovich wasn't quite as amused............................

With the Spurs leading the Kings by 31 points when Mohammed launched just the third 3-pointer of his seven-year career, Popovich was upset about one of his players showing disrespect to an opponent..............................

Within moments of game's end, Mohammed got a face full of his head coach, who let him know how he felt..............................

Asked after the game if Mohammed's shot — his sixth make in six attempts but his first all season from 3-point range — had upset him, Popovich turned coy..........................

"I thought the group off the bench did a pretty good job in the second half of trying to maintain a rhythm, and I thought everybody participated in that pretty well," Popovich said, before making a quick sideways movement with his head and shoulders.
"That's called a dodge," Popovich said, "which you all know very well.".............................................

Spurs forward Michael Finley, who has made 110 more playoff 3-pointers than Mohammed, was less diplomatic but did his best to show some understanding.
"It wasn't the shot I would have taken in that situation," Finley said. "You don't want to kick a man when he's down. But he was hot, and I guess he just wanted to see how hot he was." .................

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Did Ron Artest say the Spurs weren't any good? EVER? Has he called them names? Or disrespected the city of San Antonio? The whole "he disrespected us" sounds pathetic coming from the reigning world champions. If your guys cannot even stand to hear the #8 seed try and pump themselves up a little bit, that's sad...just sad.

This isn't about Ron Artest' comment BTW. There are threads about that already.

There is NO comparison between what Ron said and the shot Nazr took. Even Bruce Bowen - he's on your team - said it wasn't a good idea. I'm glad he got his posterior chewed out. The Kings would NEVER have done that had the tables been turned. And if any of our guys did, Adelman would be doing just as much chewing.

Talking and puffery is one thing. And it's something Ron Artest is noted for doing, much like some of the stuff Shaq has done to the Kings over the years. The difference? Shaq made it personal. He didn't just try and hype up his team. He ridiculed the Kings team, the fans, the city of Sacramento, etc. That would be disrespect. This was just hype; ill-advised and, as it turns out, poorly timed but Ron did not say anything negative about anyone nor did he toss any nicknames or insults.

Last edited:
VF21, i won't stir any unnecessary debate :), but i do differentiate an act of disrespect and voicing an arrogant comment, if you catch my drift. And indeed Shaq's a disrespectful a$$hole -though he is a great BBall player, every Spurs fans, especially DRob's fans acknowledge that ;).

SpursIndonesia said:
Being arrogant of full of self confidence ? Well, i am willing to put a wager if you put the judgement on the non partisan audience, that kinda comment from Artest -with the situation surrounding it, fact that his team actually are the underdog- would be judged as an arrogant one. Can't sugarcoat thing that alreay is pretty blunt and clear, like the disrespectful shot that Mohammed took lastnite, for that he got CHEWED by coach Popovich afterward. Story's here :..............Spurs notebook: Mohammed's last shot not so hot.............http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA042306.14C.BKNspurs.notebook.31284ce.html
Are you rubbing it in? ;)

I know I would.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Of course it was disrespectul by Ron. And if we were the #1 and they the #8 we would have treated it the same way -- as asinine and showing us no respect. Its why he should have kept his mouth shut. May well have had something to do with the annihilation on Saturday. Maybe even the elbow (which we certainly would have chuckled about if the roles were reversed).

But that's over now. The Spurs sent their message. Received and understood. Now we just have to move on and prove we belong in this series, and prove it on the court, not with silly proclamations.

And i brought Nazr dissing shot and his chewing simply as an example that when its a clear and blunt thing, i'm as a fan, doesn't have any problem admitting that. I don't think Ron dissing the Spurs -if you put Shaq standard as the measuring stick- but to me, his comment is an arrogant one, as clear as a daylight :)

You really think these players give a rat's *** about these "messages". Don't know about the Kings but the Spurs have been through far to many playoff battles to be distracted by talk to the press, or by hard fouls for that matter. They probably hardly noticed what Ron said. Good press though to get the fans excited and draw a little publicity interest away from the Lakers - Suns series that most of the media is focused on.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Bricklayer said:
Of course it was disrespectul by Ron. And if we were the #1 and they the #8 we would have treated it the same way -- as asinine and showing us no respect. Its why he should have kept his mouth shut. May well have had something to do with the annihilation on Saturday. Maybe even the elbow (which we certainly would have chuckled about if the roles were reversed).
Had it been said by Mike or even Brad I might agree. But it was Artest... You've been super critical of every single thing he's said, Brick. He's not going to refuse to answer when the media shoves a microphone in his face. It's just not in him. He wasn't talking with malice aforethought. In fact, that's probably a key... there most likely wasn't any forethought to the comment. He said it because, at the time, he believed it. He wasn't trying to stir the Spurs or their fan base and he certainly didn't set out to diss them.

But that's over now. The Spurs sent their message. Received and understood. Now we just have to move on and prove we belong in this series, and prove it on the court, not with silly proclamations.
One thing is certain. Because of the smack in the face Artest has actually been UNABLE to make any further proclamations. And that's probably a good thing.

My objection is primarily one of nit-picking. Shaq intentionally said and did things to pee us off. I don't think Artest did it with intent.

The Spurs are famous for distributing hard and questionable fouls. Furthermore, Bowen has arguably been one of the dirtiest players in the League for years. He has toned it down a bit lately after receiving so much bad press about his defensive technics.

I suspect that you may see, God willing as the Muslims say, some serious payback on Tuesday night. Hopefully, Ginobili and Parker will not be seriously injured. Get your crying towel ready. Oh, I also predict Greg Popovic will be ejected from the game by half-time.

99% of what Shaq does and says is for entertainment value. He knows the NBA is entertainment and that he's an entertainer. Giving Artest the benefit of the doubt, maybe he realizes that too.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
VF21 said:
Had it been said by Mike or even Brad I might agree. But it was Artest... You've been super critical of every single thing he's said, Brick. He's not going to refuse to answer when the media shoves a microphone in his face. It's just not in him. He wasn't talking with malice aforethought. In fact, that's probably a key... there most likely wasn't any forethought to the comment. He said it because, at the time, he believed it. He wasn't trying to stir the Spurs or their fan base and he certainly didn't set out to diss them.
As I would have been if we had the misfortune to have Shaq on the team.

Class is class regardless of homerism. Ron said something stupid. It fired up the other team. Other team responded. That's why (besides having class) you don't say those stupid things. And if you do, you damn well better back it up on the court. We didn't.

striker said:
99% of what Shaq does and says is for entertainment value. He knows the NBA is entertainment and that he's an entertainer. Giving Artest the benefit of the doubt, maybe he realizes that too.
I do not completely agree with u in this one, bro. I really don't think his delusional obsession toward disgracing DRob is an effort of an entertainer :rolleyes: -this rolleying emoticon is directed to the BIG sofa to make thing clear ;)

SpursIndonesia said:
I do not completely agree with u in this one, bro. I really don't think his delusional obsession toward disgracing DRob is an effort of an entertainer :rolleyes: -this rolleying emoticon is directed to the BIG sofa to make thing clear ;)
I do. Shaq knows the average (not knowledgeable) basketball fan wants comic book heroes and villains and the WWF.

Someday when they're old men Robinson and Shaq will sit down over a beer, well Robinson an ice tea, laugh about it all, and reminesce about the good old days. Guaranteed.