Vlade Divac

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
Not sure that is realistic, and may come as a surprise to several of our free agents who have explicitly mentioned/talked to him (Rondo/Belinelli etc/).
Yes to this - remember the whole discussion we had about signing Rudy to an extension under Malone and then firing Malone shortly thereafter? OK, multiply that by, what, six so far? Bad idea.

Cousins and Karl are both adults, and they're going to have to learn how to get along.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Grrr...

Just in the long ****ed up history of the Sacto Kings that remains one of the 5 or so most completely indefensible things that have been done. It was the full price of having a neophyte owner who didn't know what the f he was doing. Taught me a lesson that we need to wear our outrage on our sleeves before anything else happens now. Until Vlade assumed such a commanding presence it felt like the fans were having to backseat drive the damn franchise with one burst of outrage to the next. Its going to take years until I will feel like we've reached a point where we can relax and assume rational decisionmakers are going to carry the day.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
Too bad Malone had to be a casualty of Vivek's learning process. We'll see in Denver that Malone is much more than a grind it out, half court coach. He's a guy who preaches his defensive principles but adapts his offense to his personnel. The problem in Sacramento was that ownership and the front office failed to realize that he knew the roster he was given to work with much, much more than they did.

man, that was tough to watch. i don't know what kind of coach mike malone would have become in sacramento if he had not been fired. i don't know if he ultimately would have led the kings to the promised land. but i do know that his unvarnished sincerity, his commitment to improving a toxic culture, and his relationship with demarcus cousins were special qualities that this franchise may not find again in a coach. it's true enough that george karl and demarcus need not get along in order to forge a winning partnership, but think of the great strides this team could have continued to make with a superstar who was being shown how to lead by a coach who wanted nothing more than to nurture demarcus' talent, and who had no hidden agenda to speak of. "it's time to move on" is, without a doubt, the proper mindset and course of action in such moments of reflection, but since mike malone was fired, i just haven't been able to shake the feeling that this franchise sabotaged something truly special right as it had begun. it's nothing more than a feeling, and it's probably brought about by a lethal mixture of hyperbole, disappointment, outrage, and nostalgia. that said, i know i will always wonder, somewhere in the back of my head, "what might have been."

That was such warm sincere interview.

I just have to keep repeating to myself that if he was not sacrificed at the altar of stupidity, Mullin and PDA would still be here instead of Divac.
If Malone stayed, I do not think we would have a better team for 15/16 than the current one.

One thing that gives me comfort is that a coaching career is a dynamic process. The odds are that Malone will eventually move on from Denver, and it could well be about the same time that Karl's contract allows him to age out of his position gracefully. If we can hold on to Vlade, it wouldn't surprise me a bit to see Malone back in Sacramento someday. I hope that Denver allows him opportunity to develop his offensive coaching skills, so that such a thing might be possible and prudent when the stars align again.

Edit: And aren't Karl's contract and DMC's contract up at roughly the same time? Gee, I wonder how we retain Cousins...

One thing that gives me comfort is that a coaching career is a dynamic process. The odds are that Malone will eventually move on from Denver, and it could well be about the same time that Karl's contract allows him to age out of his position gracefully. If we can hold on to Vlade, it wouldn't surprise me a bit to see Malone back in Sacramento someday. I hope that Denver allows him opportunity to develop his offensive coaching skills, so that such a thing might be possible and prudent when the stars align again.

Edit: And aren't Karl's contract and DMC's contract up at roughly the same time? Gee, I wonder how we retain Cousins...
I like the idea. But I have to say that if I was Mike Malone, there's absolutely no way I would come back and work for Vivek. The way he was let go was random, stupid and (in my mind) something he couldn't have avoided. You don't put yourself in that situation again.

That was such warm sincere interview.

I just have to keep repeating to myself that if he was not sacrificed at the altar of stupidity, Mullin and PDA would still be here instead of Divac.
If Malone stayed, I do not think we would have a better team for 15/16 than the current one.
interesting point.

Karl and Malone contract both expire the same year.

gunks

Hall of Famer
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/george...tionship-with-demarcus-cousins-042151485.html

Dunno if this has been posted anywhere yet, but excellent article on the Karl/Cuz rift. Some good Karl quotes in there. Cuz didn't tell the media ****, but I think that has more to do with Cuz not liking the media than anything related to his spat with Karl.

Best part is that Vlade has taken it upon himself to personally get these guys to get along.

In Vlade we trust!

I like the idea. But I have to say that if I was Mike Malone, there's absolutely no way I would come back and work for Vivek. The way he was let go was random, stupid and (in my mind) something he couldn't have avoided. You don't put yourself in that situation again.
I wouldn't have thought there's any way he would ever work alongside a weasel named pete, but sophisticated people understand that things change. If Vlade has a good track record and is still enjoying strong support, I can see Malone returning to the place he loves to coach the player he loves most. He's obviously well aware of the strong fan support, and appreciative of it.

Now whether he'll be the best coach for the style we've developed by then remains to be seen, but the timing itself could be fortuitous.

gunks

Hall of Famer
....Cousins should be a year better.....
Every time I think about this I get a case of the "Muhahahas". With how good he was last season, it is easy to forget that Cousins is barely entering his prime. Factor in his meteoric improvement every season and you really have to wonder just how good he will be next year. It is hard to imagine his base numbers improving, with all of the other weapons on this team we can probably expect him to plateau at a meager 25/12, but I have no doubt that his overall efficiency and sheer impact on the game is just going to keep getting better and better.

And then you have to consider that we now have better shooting on the team, a coach with a legit mind for basketball, and we acquired THE most pass first PG in the game... I think Cuz is going to get the ball in better spots more often, and see a lot less double and triple teams.

And if we start winning? A motivated Cuz is a scary Cuz.

Last edited:
And then you have to consider that we now have better shooting on the team, a coach with a legit mind for basketball, and we acquired THE most past first PG in the game... I think Cuz is going to get the ball in better spots more often, and see a lot less double and triple teams.

And if we start winning? A motivated Cuz is a scary Cuz.
I know you meant to say "pass first", but It's funny you ended up describing Rondo as "past first"...

I think vlade needs dmc and Karl to realize their best chance for success is with each other.

Dmc can shed his reputation as a monster stats player who doesn't win and Karl gives hi the best chance of becoming a winner this year.

Karl's best chance of accumulating wins and moving up the all time wins list is a happy and productive dmc.

I don't see a reason why dmc and Karl lead team can't make it to the playoffs this year, and putting their differences aside and working together gives them their best chance to succeed now.

I think vlade needs dmc and Karl to realize their best chance for success is with each other.

Dmc can shed his reputation as a monster stats player who doesn't win and Karl gives him the best chance of becoming a winner this year.

Karl's best chance of accumulating wins and moving up the all time wins list is a happy and productive dmc.

I don't see a reason why dmc and Karl lead team can't make it to the playoffs this year, and putting their differences aside and working together gives them their best chance to succeed now.
IMO, Karl needs to offer a SINCERE apology.

I think Vlade has done a brilliant job of putting the type of players and personalities together to make both sides happy, while at the same time dramatically increasing the talent level and addressing needs. The onus is now on them to make it work. I have no doubt DeMarcus will play for him, will continue to dominate and once the wins start coming, be even more recognized as the force he is. I also doubt that he will ever trust George Karl fully. He will always wonder what 'what if' Karl is speaking of behind closed doors. I think a loyalty line was crossed that most players don't have, but is a fundamental part of who Boogie is, and it won't matter. Vlade did the unthinkable and put a winning roster of vets experienced, not only in winning, but in the way of the NBA as a business in place to put out the fire. I am actually still stunned by what Vlade was able to accomplish (or attempt, as always you need to play the games) It goes far deeper than the roster on paper (which is vastly improved) and reaches into the soul of the team, of the franchise. A vision bigger than Karl or Cousins, a vision of team and winning.. I really like that vision.