Upgrade Cojo

dude12

Hall of Famer
I’m assuming that the Kings keep up their winning ways making a deal for a win now guy makes sense otherwise, no need to do anything like this.

Clearly, the weakest link of the guys that play is Cojo. And to upgrade from him is a much more do-able scenario. I’d only make a deal involving the vets we have that don’t play such as Jabari, Bjelica and then add Cojo but you could also add Justin James and Kyle Guy as filler if need be.

An internal option is DeQuan Jeffries but no idea what’s going on there, Luke won’t play Guy instead of Cojo, so Monte needs to deal Cojo.

Derrick Rose just got dealt and a guy like that would add some pop to the rotation.

Who is out there that could come in a play a backup role effectively without causing any chemistry problems?

Payton, but he has to agree to a trade. Look we're going to be gutter fishing, not going to get anyone good unless they are overpaid multi year.

Possibly Lou Williams in a 3 team trade, hard to make salary work.

dude12

Hall of Famer
Payton, but he has to agree to a trade. Look we're going to be gutter fishing, not going to get anyone good unless they are overpaid multi year.

But it doesn’t have to be a huge deal as much as an upgrade of even the smallest gain. Cojo’s game has slipped quite a bit.

SacTownKid

Hall of Famer
I don't think adding another playmaker at PG is the answer. I would hope they look at someone that can play on the wing and shoot and move away from the 3 PG stuff. Also, to Cojo's credit he's sizable enough to guard up and while he's not great on the ball like he was that size can't be downgraded any more than it is.

But it doesn’t have to be a huge deal as much as an upgrade of even the smallest gain. Cojo’s game has slipped quite a bit.
Agreed.

I think either Lou or Payton would be decent, they expire, simple upgrade for now. Heck just give Walton another body to choose from besides Cojo.

3 team deals + possible second round compensation out. Best and most realistic targets without multi year bad loot like Rubio I can think of.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
George Hill is injured but pretty much is the exact same player CoJo is but better. Also it would be hilarious getting him back to backup Fox four years after he complained about it.

With Melo getting more minutes, might be able to sneak a deal for Malik Monk but he’s a two guard and more of a scorer type.
Chicago’s got Garrett Temple but he’s not much better than CoJo at this point and is almost more of a coach than player for them.

Elf has a no trade clause?? Regardless, think he's the wrong type of guard next to Hali on the bench.

Guy I'd be interested in bringing back is Burks as a scoring wing who can space and fill the lack of punch off the bench. Bjelica makes a ton of sense too for the Knicks who desperately need big man spacing and could fit with Robinson or Randle pretty well.

dude12

Hall of Famer
Elf has a no trade clause?? Regardless, think he's the wrong type of guard next to Hali on the bench.

Guy I'd be interested in bringing back is Burks as a scoring wing who can space and fill the lack of punch off the bench. Bjelica makes a ton of sense too for the Knicks who desperately need big man spacing and could fit with Robinson or Randle pretty well.
I looked immediately at their roster. Bjelica does make sense for them and they have a guard or 2 to give up.....I mean Birks has always been a solid guard off the bench and can score in a variety of ways.

George Hill is injured but pretty much is the exact same player CoJo is but better. Also it would be hilarious getting him back to backup Fox four years after he complained about it.

With Melo getting more minutes, might be able to sneak a deal for Malik Monk but he’s a two guard and more of a scorer type.
Chicago’s got Garrett Temple but he’s not much better than CoJo at this point and is almost more of a coach than player for them.
I bet Fox would be super on board with this. Reunites him with his Kentucky back-court mate. I think that profile is exactly what we're missing off the bench too; someone to keep the pressure up when Fox/Barnes/Buddy heads to the bench.

I looked immediately at their roster. Bjelica does make sense for them and they have a guard or 2 to give up.....I mean Birks has always been a solid guard off the bench and can score in a variety of ways.
With the Rose addition, they are a good trade target team. Even if Payton is undesirable, the start of a trade scenario is there.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Satoranksy is on a 10 million dollar per year deal so it would be tough to make the numbers fit without shuffling some pieces and it would probably cost us a bit but he’s a long guard/wing who can also handle the ball.

Seeing that Detroit have traded Rose, maybe they want some extra second rounders from us for Delon Wright?

CoJo + 2nd round pick (two)
for Wright
Has 2 years left on the deal for around 8.7 per year.

Wright this season in 28 minutes played 9.3 PTS, 4.7 AST, 4.6 REB/ 42% FG, 37% from 3.

SacTownKid

Hall of Famer
I mean if Jeffries is coming back at some point, the simplest thing Monte can do is deal Cojo for a draft pick so that Luke plays Jeffries instead of Cojo
That could be ideal. We need you DaQuan! Walton used him really well in the bubble and that's the exact type of player he needs in his rotation. As for a draft pick I guess another 2nd rounder wouldn't hurt haha. I still think the value is the expiring $$$, not the player and the issue is does Monte want to stack the cap now or later.

Seeing that Detroit have traded Rose, maybe they want some extra second rounders from us for Delon Wright?

CoJo for Wright + 2nd round pick (two)

Wright this season in 28 minutes played 9.3 PTS, 4.7 AST, 4.6 REB/ 42% FG, 37% from 3.
Wright's next year salary of $8,526,316 would be offset by Cojo's $2.4 million guarantee

That's only 6.1 millionish considering. Not a bad idea.

SacTownKid

Hall of Famer

CoJo + 2nd round pick (two)
for Wright

My goodness if feels like ages since the Kings have been in a position to consider upgrading the roster around the edges, haha.

If we do not get an upgrade let's give this guy a chance from my local team, will be a future NBA player imo has all the tools only 23 year old. Played college ball in Cal State Fullerton.

edit:
Yes I just wanted my guy to get noticed on this board, this was the best place haha