Uh-oh... Official 2019/20 Chicken Little thread

The MRI showed nothing... new. That statement always sounded to me like it was deliberately vague!
lol yeah shows how 2 people reading something read it slightly different. I also may have been wanting to see it as a positive
Never understood why they (FOs in general are so vague about these things). As a Niner fan this kind of reminds me of what we were hearing all OTA/TC about Jerrick McKinnon :-(

I'm not all that concerned at this point. The Kings have handled Giles with kid gloves since he first got here. I don't think that will change over night. Any little tweak or ache, they are going to be overly cautious with Giles.

Much like Philly was with Joel Embid his first 3 years in the league. Hopefully, we will bare the fruits of the patience by mid-season this year.

If this drags on 20+ games into the season, then I will start getting concerned. But, in the mean time, I'm going to enjoy watching Richaun Holmes wreak havoc and stake his claim to the minutes while Giles works himself back to 100%. ;)

I think it is right for people to be concerned. But wrong for people to freak out. Drafting Harry was always a long term project. His body (non-knees) is still not developed enough to be an everyday center. If this season ends up being another development year for him - it is not the end of the world. There is still a ton of potential there - and a good dude from all accounts.

I'm a little concerned, but it looks like the Pelicans are shutting down Zion for an extended period of weeks for essentially the same reason. So maybe this is just something NBA front offices do now.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
I'm a little concerned, but it looks like the Pelicans are shutting down Zion for an extended period of weeks for essentially the same reason. So maybe this is just something NBA front offices do now.
Difference being Zion wasn’t shut down his entire first year, and then also shut down last month of his second year, and then also shut down the first month of his third year. Red flags are flying high

Difference being Zion wasn’t shut down his entire first year, and then also shut down last month of his second year, and then also shut down the first month of his third year. Red flags are flying high
Yes, he's not a walking history like Giles but he IS one waiting to happen at that playing weight and size. My point is that both of them are taking players with knee soreness and shutting them down for several weeks, ie apparently treating them with kid gloves for whatever reason.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
The other side to this coin is there is basically no urgency with Harry. He was the 20th pick two years ago and we committed to rehabbing him and going slow. We've been overly cautious so there's no sense to say "ok you better prove it now". Plus we have what appears to be a functional (and crowded) front-court from what we've seen so far.

Now that doesn't mean I'm not concerned. Because he needs playing time to develop the skills he has flashed. And if he can be healthy with his skill set he can be a very important part of this team's foundation. But he's not fundamental to the start of our season, he's still a long term investment.

Zion was the number one overall pick in the draft with all kinds of expectations he may or may not live up. Frankly I think he needs to drop the extra weight or he won't have a long career. But he's flashed enough in preseason to have the hype train still heading off the rails and media, fans, etc. are going to push him on the court no matter what shape he is in.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
They’ve been deliberately vague since the “bruise.”
Your deliberately vague just might be their nothing much to say. The paranoia of Kings fans is actually more worrisome to me than some of the things that are putting some of you on the ledge already. If you guys don't pace yourselves, you'll be out by Thanksgiving. :p

The other side to this coin is there is basically no urgency with Harry. He was the 20th pick two years ago and we committed to rehabbing him and going slow. We've been overly cautious so there's no sense to say "ok you better prove it now". Plus we have what appears to be a functional (and crowded) front-court from what we've seen so far.

Now that doesn't mean I'm not concerned. Because he needs playing time to develop the skills he has flashed. And if he can be healthy with his skill set he can be a very important part of this team's foundation. But he's not fundamental to the start of our season, he's still a long term investment.

Zion was the number one overall pick in the draft with all kinds of expectations he may or may not live up. Frankly I think he needs to drop the extra weight or he won't have a long career. But he's flashed enough in preseason to have the hype train still heading off the rails and media, fans, etc. are going to push him on the court no matter what shape he is in.
Not only was he the number 1 pick, they traded their superstar because of him. He is their rebuild piece.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
It was “just summer league,” then “just the India trip,” then “just preseason,” then...

that’s not Chicken Little, that’s Baghdad Bob!
This.

Just the entire first season. Perfect.

Just the end of last season. Also fine.

Just summer league. I get it.

Just preseason? Uh oh...

Now regular season? Oh **************

The sky is indeed falling.

i love Harry's game but with me, there are no expectations of how much he will play. Considering his injury history, whatever time he does get, ill be happy with it. If he were to shut it down permanently next season, I wouldn't be surprised. If he ends up playing a full to half career i wouldn't be surprised either. He seems like a really good young man, both on and off the court. I wish him luck.