Tyrese Watch 2022-23

He's a poor man's Brogdan he can't get into the lane like Brogdan can and defensively he will never have the tools Brogdan has. Haliburton while I did/do prefer him over Fox is just another example of Kings fans grossly overrating their young talent. He's actually more closer to prime Vasquez (former Kings) than he is Brogdan.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Tyrese with 30 points against the Celtics 7 minutes into the third quarter. Unfortunately picks up his fifth foul and makes Carlisle waste his coach's challenge.

He's a poor man's Brogdan he can't get into the lane like Brogdan can and defensively he will never have the tools Brogdan has. Haliburton while I did/do prefer him over Fox is just another example of Kings fans grossly overrating their young talent. He's actually more closer to prime Vasquez (former Kings) than he is Brogdan.
That's true but Haliburton is still a work in progress physically. Him not getting some size on him will absolutely hinder his career if they expect him to be a lead go to guard. He has no real go to move and his funky shot limits his ability to a degree off pick and roll but if he can create contact and push defenders off it will go a long way for him as a finisher.

Speaking of former Kings on other teams. Bagley was showing some promise in Detroit over a few game span and then goes down with a mystery hip injury and has been out the past 5+ games and probably until the end of the season.

I wonder how hyped Detroit fans were getting about Bagley. Hopefully, they don't pin any great hope on Bagley, because dude is made of glass. It's not just a Sacramento injury thing apparently. SMH.

Detroit will probably sign Bagley to a nice contract this summer and then probably immediately regret it a few games into next season as Bagley misses 20 games with a injured pinky/toe!

No better way to waste Tyrese's talents than by trading Brogdan and/or Buddy for Russ and forcing Ty to stand around and watch as Russ chases triple doubles every night.
The part I love about the tweet is that they say Indiana could "emerge as a potential suitor," as if this is prime KD or Lebron, and teams are lining up to make great offers to get him. No one is lining up to get Russ. No one is a "suitor." If there was a market for Russ then the Lakers would have dealt him at the trade deadline. There might be some teams peeking cautiously at the wreckage to see if they can extract some goodies (and there aren't many) to take on Russ (maybe OKC, Portland, or possibly Indy). But there aren't "suitors" trying to make their best offers like there would be for Beal, Lillard, or even like we saw for Simmons. Westbrook is the worst contract in the game, can only be easily traded for Wall, and is a complete negative asset. That there are "suitors" sounds like someone trying to do Russ or the Lakers a solid to gin up some hype for Russ. it just made me laugh!

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
Does throwing a hastily slapped together max contract at a classically skilled center only for it to get matched by the Suns really count as showing commitment to building around Tyrese?
I also would point out that throwing tons of money at Ayton to try to make Ayton your franchise dude maybe isn't showing Tyrese you're committed to Tyrese as your franchise dude.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
I also would point out that throwing tons of money at Ayton to try to make Ayton your franchise dude maybe isn't showing Tyrese you're committed to Tyrese as your franchise dude.
it was already confusing from the aspect of them currently having like 4 other centers on the roster.

The Pacers do have cap space to start absorbing bad contracts for draft assets and a couple of tradable vets in Turner and McConnell (They also have two more years of Buddy) but their owner, shopping mall magnate Herb Simon, is apparently desperate for the cash earnings of a competitive basketball team (he was apparently spearheading the in-season tourney idea at the owners meeting because of the idea of added revenue from those games), so I wouldn’t be half surprised if they went the other direction and traded off some of the picks they’ve gathered over the last couple months to get an “alpha” player, which would also not show great commitment to Tyrese.

Hali struggled tonight but really played like it’s *his* team. Leading the offense and looking for his shot in a way we only saw in spurts last year. Finished with 27 & 12 on 50% shooting while securing the L. And more than a few plays of him probing around the basket where Holmes would be feasting but no one was there

The Halliburton trade was the sickest I’ve ever felt as a Kings fan. Luka was brutal but we didn’t know what he could do pre draft. We knew what Hali was and still traded him. He looks like a future superstar so far this year and is going to make an all star team this year while Fox hasn’t. Devastating.

The Halliburton trade was the sickest I’ve ever felt as a Kings fan. Luka was brutal but we didn’t know what he could do pre draft. We knew what Hali was and still traded him. He looks like a future superstar so far this year and is going to make an all star team this year while Fox hasn’t. Devastating.
Per36 min this year:

Hali: .257 USG% / .635 TS% / .500 FG% / .414 3P% / .920% / 24.7 PPG / 4.6 RPG / 10.9 APG / 1.5 SPG / 0.2 BPG / 3.9 TOPG
Fox: .338 USG% / .677 TS% / .594 FG% / .450 3P% / .714 FT% / 32.9 PPG / 5.9 RPG / 7.3 APG / 1.4 SPG / 0.3 BPG / 4.8 TOPG

I’m not taking anything away from Haliburton this season. He’s been playing really well (and I was against the trade as well) but I’m not sure how you can claim that Haliburton has looked like an all star this year and Fox hasn’t. Especially since Fox’s on/off (on a team with much more talent) is +13.0 while Haliburton is -2.5.

You can be upset that the Kings traded Haliburton away and recognize that Fox has started this season really well. The two don’t have to be mutually exclusive.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Have you actually watched either guy play this year?

Tyrese with 25 points on national TV* while Pacers go to 2-4 and ESPN quotes him saying getting traded from Sac was best thing for his career and praising what Indy is doing for him. At least JVG was complimentary towards what we did (seems he’s been a Monte fan for a while)

*I assume no one is actually watching Whizz-Pacers on ESPN tonight

Tyrese with 25 points on national TV* while Pacers go to 2-4 and ESPN quotes him saying getting traded from Sac was best thing for his career and praising what Indy is doing for him. At least JVG was complimentary towards what we did (seems he’s been a Monte fan for a while)

*I assume no one is actually watching Whizz-Pacers on ESPN tonight
Great game by Tyrese. Still, I'd rather have Fox + Sabonis than Fox + Haliburton. Since Indiana wanted Tyrese, Haliburton + Sabonis wasn't an option. Also, I'd rather have Huerter than Buddy.

Per36 min this year:

Hali: .257 USG% / .635 TS% / .500 FG% / .414 3P% / .920% / 24.7 PPG / 4.6 RPG / 10.9 APG / 1.5 SPG / 0.2 BPG / 3.9 TOPG
Fox: .338 USG% / .677 TS% / .594 FG% / .450 3P% / .714 FT% / 32.9 PPG / 5.9 RPG / 7.3 APG / 1.4 SPG / 0.3 BPG / 4.8 TOPG

I’m not taking anything away from Haliburton this season. He’s been playing really well (and I was against the trade as well) but I’m not sure how you can claim that Haliburton has looked like an all star this year and Fox hasn’t. Especially since Fox’s on/off (on a team with much more talent) is +13.0 while Haliburton is -2.5.

You can be upset that the Kings traded Haliburton away and recognize that Fox has started this season really well. The two don’t have to be mutually exclusive.
no doubt. I just feel Hali is a much better pure PG who can make guys better and easier to build around. Seems a little trickier with Fox. That said, Fox is playing fantastic