Tyrese Watch 2022-23

Tyrese currently tied with CP3 as league leader in assists per game. Hali with the most total assists at 70 in 7 games, CP3 at 50 in 5.

biggest metric to me is his FGA/game, which is at 15.7, highest previous total was 12.4 last year in Indiana. Hope that keeps up. He’s a beast when he’s looking for his own shot and he’s doing that so far this year. Similar to the Sixers game last year. He’s shooting .467 from 3 which is probably gonna regress to the mean but he’s realizing the potential of averaging something like 25/12 on 40%+ 3 point shooting which are MVP level numbers. But he can only get there if he sustains his offensive attack and keepings scoring numbers up which is a question for him

this isn’t tyrese vs fox, fox is also having a career year and improved in ways most of us didn’t think possible. Similarly 30/5/5 with good defense is absurd although I think Fox is playing far above his average, more than Hali is, so likely to fall back further. But still incredible. They’re just completely different players and I’m enjoying watching them both

Tyrese currently tied with CP3 as league leader in assists per game. Hali with the most total assists at 70 in 7 games, CP3 at 50 in 5.

biggest metric to me is his FGA/game, which is at 15.7, highest previous total was 12.4 last year in Indiana. Hope that keeps up. He’s a beast when he’s looking for his own shot and he’s doing that so far this year. Similar to the Sixers game last year. He’s shooting .467 from 3 which is probably gonna regress to the mean but he’s realizing the potential of averaging something like 25/12 on 40%+ 3 point shooting which are MVP level numbers. But he can only get there if he sustains his offensive attack and keepings scoring numbers up which is a question for him

this isn’t tyrese vs fox, fox is also having a career year and improved in ways most of us didn’t think possible. Similarly 30/5/5 with good defense is absurd although I think Fox is playing far above his average, more than Hali is, so likely to fall back further. But still incredible. They’re just completely different players and I’m enjoying watching them both
I'm always going to compare Hali's impact to that of Sabonis. Which one becomes a more valuable player in the league from this season forward. If I had to bet, I'd put my money on Tyrese

I'm always going to compare Hali's impact to that of Sabonis. Which one becomes a more valuable player in the league from this season forward. If I had to bet, I'd put my money on Tyrese
Like many, I was pained to see Tyrese go. Absolutely loved everything about the kid. Would have MUCH preferred to see them trade Fox instead.

That said, Tyrese's vs. Sabonis' "impact" is the wrong comparison. Truth is that Tyrese and Foxy wouldn't both be having the kind of impact they're having on the same team. Sabonis could have less impact than Tyrese - measured thru their respective numbers this year or next - and still have greater impact than Tyrese would have had w/the Kings. I don't know whether I would have pulled that trigger, but I certainly get why Monte did. If you're gonna keep Fox, this team needed a high-level, potentially dominant frontline player much more than it needed a potentially dominant point guard.

I honestly wish Tyrese well (especially if he manages to stop moaning about the trade). To me, the trade is a clear win for the Kings if Fox, Sabonis, Murray et al form the basis of a playoff-caliber team this year and continue to build on that success going forward - regardless of what Tyrese does.

Scenario 1- last years Fox+ a step above last years Hali

Scenario 2- this years Fox + Sabonis

Scenario 3- whatever we got back on a sell low on Fox + this year’s Haliburton.

Two or three will win out at some point but it’s also possible and maybe even likely that the trade was a win for both franchises. Hali is a stud, this version of Fox is a stud.

Like many, I was pained to see Tyrese go. Absolutely loved everything about the kid. Would have MUCH preferred to see them trade Fox instead.

That said, Tyrese's vs. Sabonis' "impact" is the wrong comparison. Truth is that Tyrese and Foxy wouldn't both be having the kind of impact they're having on the same team. Sabonis could have less impact than Tyrese - measured thru their respective numbers this year or next - and still have greater impact than Tyrese would have had w/the Kings. I don't know whether I would have pulled that trigger, but I certainly get why Monte did. If you're gonna keep Fox, this team needed a high-level, potentially dominant frontline player much more than it needed a potentially dominant point guard.

I honestly wish Tyrese well (especially if he manages to stop moaning about the trade). To me, the trade is a clear win for the Kings if Fox, Sabonis, Murray et al form the basis of a playoff-caliber team this year and continue to build on that success going forward - regardless of what Tyrese does.
Yeah, I don't foresee Fox and Sabonis as the lead players for a dangerous playoff team, let alone a championship contender. Murray could definitely be a key piece for one.

Agree with everything apart from wishing him well. I did that when he left. Now I don't care.

Moving Tyrese (or Fox) and Buddy was a needed team building move. The fit is better now. Fox is playing great. Our new guys match his needs. Both teams won in some form or another.

Ty is ballin, but this is exactly the context he needs to be in to shine; he needs the keys, he's not the super support role player we thought he was after his rookie season. Indy has no creation outside of him and to his credit, he's taking on that CP3/Steve Nash-esq role of being THE playmaker extremely well. The scoring has been eye-opening, but my guess is that'll eventually regress once the shooting splits come down to earth a bit. I think he'll live in that 17-19 PPG range on excellent efficiency; similar to where Nash/CP3 were for a majority of their career.

Fox is also ballin and we're seeing his max potential this season as well. Fox 31% USG on 64% TS this season is out of this world good; that's like Steph Curry unanimous MVP season type numbers over the course of a full season. Should be noted he shares playmaking responsibilties with Sabonis, but I don't see how anyone can not be stoked on what Fox is also doing.

All in all, it's a trade that unlocked both guys for the better of their careers. Happy that Hali is thriving being "the man" and that Fox is hitting his ceiling here with us.

In terms of vs Sabonis, it's funny how high a standard we hold him too and basically think he's been struggling or "bad". But:

14.4 PPG
9.2 RPG
5.6 APG
61% TS
20.7% USG
28.6% AST

On/Off Splits:

On:
ORtg: 115.2
DRtg: 115.7

Off:
ORtg: 108.8
DRtg: 119.9

+10.6 Net Rtg

Right now, what's holding him back is foul trouble and he's not shooting enough. But he's still putting up awesome numbers, even being in a "down" stretch

This is a pathetic post. Had to call it out. You sound like you are hoping Fox gets hurt. What is your problem?
I did not hope for an injury. Give me a break dude. :rolleyes: I just think that Fox has had an injury problem and it's stupid to build a team around someone who has injury problems.

I think Hali >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Fox and we traded the wrong person though.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Ty is ballin, but this is exactly the context he needs to be in to shine; he needs the keys, he's not the super support role player we thought he was after his rookie season. Indy has no creation outside of him and to his credit, he's taking on that CP3/Steve Nash-esq role of being THE playmaker extremely well. The scoring has been eye-opening, but my guess is that'll eventually regress once the shooting splits come down to earth a bit. I think he'll live in that 17-19 PPG range on excellent efficiency; similar to where Nash/CP3 were for a majority of their career.

Fox is also ballin and we're seeing his max potential this season as well. Fox 31% USG on 64% TS this season is out of this world good; that's like Steph Curry unanimous MVP season type numbers over the course of a full season. Should be noted he shares playmaking responsibilties with Sabonis, but I don't see how anyone can not be stoked on what Fox is also doing.

All in all, it's a trade that unlocked both guys for the better of their careers. Happy that Hali is thriving being "the man" and that Fox is hitting his ceiling here with us.

In terms of vs Sabonis, it's funny how high a standard we hold him too and basically think he's been struggling or "bad". But:

14.4 PPG
9.2 RPG
5.6 APG
61% TS
20.7% USG
28.6% AST

On/Off Splits:

On:
ORtg: 115.2
DRtg: 115.7

Off:
ORtg: 108.8
DRtg: 119.9

+10.6 Net Rtg

Right now, what's holding him back is foul trouble and he's not shooting enough. But he's still putting up awesome numbers, even being in a "down" stretch
to put things into even greater context, Domas’s current off-year numbers are better than the stats Brad Miller put up in his all-star seasons.

From just a Hali to Domas comparison, it hurts. However, I think a big reason for the trade is Fox and Hali really couldn't co-exist together so one of them had to go and, by most accounts, there weren't many takers for Fox.

I think we have to take the fact that Fox has greatly elevated his game since that trade. So, we really got Domas and an upgraded Fox for Hali (and getting rid of Buddy, too).

Haliburton is probably playing himself into a designated rookie deal right now. When that happens he better still be putting up huge numbers and be a plus defender or he has all the same problems Fox suddenly had when he came off his rookie deal (esp if both players were on the same losing team). Also the Pacers had better be a playoff team or the same doubts and criticisms happen once a player makes that money on a marginal team.

I really like him and it hurt to see him go but I don't think Fox vs. Hali or Fox vs. Sabonis are remotely apples to apples comparisons since the money is vastly different in one scenario and the positions aren't remotely similar in the other. Also we got out of Buddy without taking dead money in return. Assuming we don't do that for Holmes, we have a few avenues to improve the team next year before Sabonis's payment comes due.

*eta: I said Holmes, but really meant Barnes. But still, also Holmes :D

Last edited:
I realize old people are impressed by anything but it literally takes five seconds to start a podcast and it’s pretty easy to mod some games once you’ve gotten a basic grasp of it.
What they mean is that Tyrese is not just a basketball player but a multifaceted personality. Even in Sacramento, he's known for his community outreach programs and supporting local businesses. He's not afraid to voice his opinions on hot button issues. He's a media savvy professional and is always an engaging interviewee. Any idiot can start a podcast, but it takes talent to produce interesting content that people want to listen to. He's an impressive young man anyway you slice it. Any team would be lucky to have such a person as its public face.

Indiana imo is a surprise team as much as anyone else 6-6 is solid for their roster, Hali/Matheruin look like a crazy solid/very good future backcourt both 2 way players.

Indiana looks like a pretty strong team in the East... but that said, they've had an absolutely creampuff schedule to this point. As with the Kings, it will be interesting to see how the Pacers handle adversity when they reach a much more difficult stretch of opponents.