Tyrese Haliburton

Not worried about the film on him. He'll adjust. He already has--driving more when opponents play the pass. More worried about the Pat Beverley types, who are going to beat him up. How he responds will be key. JWill had his welcome to the league moment when Marbury beat him up.
I dont remember that. I remember AI used to mop the floor with him.

Already is better than Buddy.
If Buddy isn’t making shots — the one thing he is supposed to be elite at doing — he is close to useless.

IDK what happened to the guy making 3’s at over a 40% clip. Or the guy early on in his career that would grab a decent amount of timely rebounds.

Every once in a while he’ll make a pass or create a play for a teammate where you‘re like “holy $#!t !!! Where’d that come from? And why can’t he do it more often?”

Or he’ll make a tremendous late game play like the buzzer beating put back against DEN.

But those plays are few and far between. Most the time we fans cringe anytime the ball is in his hands and it’s not a catch and shoot. Because we expect bad things to happen. Cause they often do.

But it seems like his one super power has lost it’s luster.

If Buddy can‘t stretch the floor by making more shots like he used to, he has no business in the starting lineup or being on the floor during crunch time. He should be sitting or standing next to Bagley the last 5 minutes of the game.

Since this thread is specific to Tyrese Haliburton, I’ll pose this question here.

Is this the one player, even if it ends up being for a short time, that has ALL KINGS fans in universal agreement?

Typically each player on the team has a faction of fans that love them, hate them, or just believe they are “meh”.

For now, it seems like Tyrese has done the impossible by bringing ALL KINGS fans together.

Unless I’m missing someone. Are there any dissenters trashing Tyrese or his game?

Since this thread is specific to Tyrese Haliburton, I’ll pose this question here.

Is this the one player, even if it ends up being for a short time, that has ALL KINGS fans in universal agreement?

Typically each player on the team has a faction of fans that love them, hate them, or just believe they are “meh”.

For now, it seems like Tyrese has done the impossible by bringing ALL KINGS fans together.

Unless I’m missing someone. Are there any dissenters trashing Tyrese or his game?
He sucks. Already has missed 25% of the games in his career. :eek:

He started the game 2-9. They probably wouldn't have lost the lead if not for his horrid start.

I dont remember that. I remember AI used to mop the floor with him.
https://nypost.com/1999/12/07/stephon-makes-jason-disappear/

This was JWill's sophomore year, but remember reading a few articles in the mid 2000s that said Marbury physically beat up JWill each time they faced off. And that Jwill's welcome to the league moment was delivered by Marbury.

A part of the reason why Petrie traded Williams for Bibby was because he wanted a tougher player.

Hield is a shooting fool that can't seem to find his shot. That makes him a very average player, with a below average handle and plenty of defensive lapses. He is known for making bonehead plays. I still like the guy, but he better start hitting. I am weary of his air balls.

The reason you cannot compare Hield to Haliburton is that the latter player does everything well.

Last edited:
Hield is a shooting fool that can't seem to find his shot. That makes him a very average player, with a below average handle and plenty of defensive lapses. He is known for making bonehead plays. I still like the guy, but he better start hitting. I am weary of his air balls.

The reason you cannot compare Hield to Haliburton is that the later player does everything well.
I think adding the weight threw his shot off a bit. Been known to happen.

#1 offensive rating in the entire NBA and folks still think it's a good idea to sit Hali behind Hield?
Yep. If it means Buddy returns to form and increases his trade value.

Best case scenario is that Bagley becomes what we hope he can be and the next draft plus whatever the Kings can get in trade for Hield and/or ending contracts gives the Kings the core the need.

gunks

Hall of Famer
#1 offensive rating in the entire NBA and folks still think it's a good idea to sit Hali behind Hield?
If only to keep the bench from being a CoJo led nightmare.

Ideally we get us somebody who does more than pound the hell outta the ball and jack ill advised 3s to run the offense with the reserves though, because I’m all about Hali starting in that scenario.

Yep. If it means Buddy returns to form and increases his trade value.

Best case scenario is that Bagley becomes what we hope he can be and the next draft plus whatever the Kings can get in trade for Hield and/or ending contracts gives the Kings the core the need.
Have folks considered that starting Buddy may, in fact, decrease his value?

Last edited:
Buddy starting gives Haliburton enough wind to burst into 4th quarter just like he Bulls game. Not many folks are probably watching full games so far. But Buddy's been contributing many things that isn't on those game sheets. Check out those Denver games, where many times Jokic gets switch on Buddy and Buddy wasn't getting pushed around by the biggest man on the court. Haliburton put on that situation will get run over by Jokic.

And Buddy is a work horse bro. He together with Barnes are clocking at 35 mins per game. You put Haliburton on that Buddy minutes and start? You end up with an injured rookie in a week.

Buddy starting gives Haliburton enough wind to burst into 4th quarter just like he Bulls game. Not many folks are probably watching full games so far. But Buddy's been contributing many things that isn't on those game sheets. Check out those Denver games, where many times Jokic gets switch on Buddy and Buddy wasn't getting pushed around by the biggest man on the court. Haliburton put on that situation will get run over by Jokic.

And Buddy is a work horse bro. He together with Barnes are clocking at 35 mins per game. You put Haliburton on that Buddy minutes and start? You end up with an injured rookie in a week.
So you'd rather have an inefficient player logging 35 minutes instead of the #1 player in efficiency logging those 35 minutes?

The drafting of Haliburton reminds me so much of the drafting of Jason Williams. Jwill was on Espn every night and the Kings were exciting to watch for the first time in a long time. (Granted I became a fan in 97 so I didn't experience life as a King's fan before then.) White Chocolate provided not only highlight reel plays but helped engineer our ball sharing culture. The big difference is Tyrese is a game changing talent in addition to being a culture changer.

This really feels like a dawn of a new age. Can we make a trade or two? Can we find our Vlade in free agency? Will we have a new coach to grow with? I've had hope in the past (When we drafted Cousins and I thought we were set for a decade) but this feels special.

So you'd rather have an inefficient player logging 35 minutes instead of the #1 player in efficiency logging those 35 minutes?
I'd rather have Haliburton play the whole season at 25 mins per game than get injured after 15 games due to heavy minutes. The kid is 180lbs. Ease him into matches where he won't get butchered.

And coming off the bench gives him an advantage of observing first how the opponent are running plays. This is crucial for rookies to not end up as headless chickens in the first quarter.

I'd rather have Haliburton play the whole season at 25 mins per game than get injured after 15 games due to heavy minutes. The kid is 180lbs. Ease him into matches where he won't get butchered.

And coming off the bench gives him an advantage of observing first how the opponent are running plays. This is crucial for rookies to not end up as headless chickens in the first quarter.
Agree. I don't feel we need to rush anything this season. Let's see whether Buddy can find some rhythm.

I think it's hard to argue that Fox is a better pure facilitator than Haliburton. I know it's early, but the kids court vision is advanced That being said there is no denying how well this team plays when they are pushing the pace and Fox is in his bag. Him going full speed to the hoop typically always leads to one or two guys being open.

I don't see why they can't both share point responsibilities though. Fox can bring the ball up and try to push the pace. If there is nothing he can do he can just dump it off to Haliburton who seems more comfortable in a half court set anyway. They did that quite a bit in the first couple of games and it seemed to work out fine.
I was thinking about that. It would be like having two point guards and you never know which one is running the offence. But having a shooter on the floor like Belly would help.

I love Haliburton, but I think people need to slow the roll. Not even 10 games in yet guys! I think we just forgot what an actual good rookie is supposed to look like. We've had a bunch of low iq rookies in T-Rob, Ben, WCS, and Bagley with the rest of our rookies being complete underperforms(even Fox).

With that being said, he's our most fun player to watch by far. I'm very excited.

I love Haliburton, but I think people need to slow the roll. Not even 10 games in yet guys! I think we just forgot what an actual good rookie is supposed to look like. We've had a bunch of low iq rookies in T-Rob, Ben, WCS, and Bagley with the rest of our rookies being complete underperforms(even Fox).

With that being said, he's our most fun player to watch by far. I'm very excited.
He played this way and had the same impact last year in college. So it’s not like dude is on some crazy hot streak. I’ve said it before, no way he falls to 12 if he did not hurt his wrist, Covid (in person scouting), and the lack of a national tourney.