Tyreke Evans wins 2010 Rookie of the Year award

SACRAMENTO- With a record setting rookie season behind him, the only drama remaining for Tyreke Evans is how to make room for all of his awards.

Evans joined radio host Carmichael Dave in the palatial KHTK studios in Sacramento last night to receive easily the biggest award of his life, the 2010 Carmichael Dave Show NBA Rookie of the Year.

Presented with the trophy, framed award, and 5 dollar gift certificate to Steve's Pizza, Evans was overcome with emotion. When asked to put into words what it all meant to him, he said:

"What is this again?"

From here on out, the sky's the limit for the young man we can no longer call a rookie.
HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!:D That's awesome Dave!

SACRAMENTO- With a record setting rookie season behind him, the only drama remaining for Tyreke Evans is how to make room for all of his awards.

Evans joined radio host Carmichael Dave in the palatial KHTK studios in Sacramento last night to receive easily the biggest award of his life, the 2010 Carmichael Dave Show NBA Rookie of the Year.

Presented with the trophy, framed award, and 5 dollar gift certificate to Steve's Pizza, Evans was overcome with emotion. When asked to put into words what it all meant to him, he said:

"What is this again?"

From here on out, the sky's the limit for the young man we can no longer call a rookie.
Niiiice!! Thanks CD for sharing this momentous occasion with us! :D

CD,

I disagree with your communt today that you think Tyreke won't be a King when his rookie contract is up. Tyreke has said he likes it in Sacramento, because it's not as crazy as a big city.

He referred to his college choice. He had the choice to go to Villanova, but he knew it would have been to crazy being there in Philadelphia, so he chose Memphis.

He likes Sacramento exactly because it's not a major market. So, I will bet you a steak Dinner that Tyreke will in fact resign here. If he continues playing the way he is and improving it will be for a max contract, whatever a max contract is after the new CBA.

I hope I will owe you a steak dinner.

Players dont like coming to Sacramento on the whole. The only way quality players usually come here is either draft or trade, when they don't have a choice. Some will resign, but you have to pay a "Sacramento Tax" to get them to stay.

What was the last quality free agent to come here? Vlade? And if I remember correctly, Sacramento wasnt his first choice, he wanted either LA team. Sacramento just happened to be closer, and Phoenix wasnt biting.

I hope he stays. If he does, you can bet it will be a max contract (assumedly deserved), but we shall see.

Players dont like coming to Sacramento on the whole. The only way quality players usually come here is either draft or trade, when they don't have a choice. Some will resign, but you have to pay a "Sacramento Tax" to get them to stay.

What was the last quality free agent to come here? Vlade? And if I remember correctly, Sacramento wasnt his first choice, he wanted either LA team. Sacramento just happened to be closer, and Phoenix wasnt biting.

I hope he stays. If he does, you can bet it will be a max contract (assumedly deserved), but we shall see.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't players a RESTRICTED free agent after their rookie contract? As long as we pay him max, there is no way he leaves.

Now the 3rd contract will be tricky. But you would hope that by that time, we would have built a winner and there is no reason for him to leave a team that he's been with for 7-8 years and has a chance to win a championship.... similar to Lebron's situation.

Meh. Is Kevin Durant leaving that tiny city? No...because his team is competitive, improving, and he's shining in his star role.

The key is to have a team in the playoffs by the time the extension is up - it doesn't matter nearly as much that it is a smaller market.

That's basically why Bosh is likely to leave even a great city like Toronto. His team blows and has 0 financial flexibility.

Meh. Is Kevin Durant leaving that tiny city? No...because his team is competitive, improving, and he's shining in his star role.

The key is to have a team in the playoffs by the time the extension is up - it doesn't matter nearly as much that it is a smaller market.

That's basically why Bosh is likely to leave even a great city like Toronto. His team blows and has 0 financial flexibility.

I don't think players can really leave after the rookie contract if the team chooses to pay max or match any offers. They are restricted free agents.

I dont dig the whole "small market" argument. New York Knicks are the largest market team. Tell me how many star players they have. How many max contract worthy players have the new york knicks had in the last decade. Its alot more dependant on winning than anything else. How do you think the Utah Jazz were able to hold onto Malone for so long. Its because they won games. Not because Salt Lake city is a bustling metropolis.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't players a RESTRICTED free agent after their rookie contract? As long as we pay him max, there is no way he leaves.

Now the 3rd contract will be tricky. But you would hope that by that time, we would have built a winner and there is no reason for him to leave a team that he's been with for 7-8 years and has a chance to win a championship.... similar to Lebron's situation.

Yeah Reke will be a restricted FA. We could match any offer to retain him pretty much. But if we get a winning team around him I really don't think he'll leave.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
I dont dig the whole "small market" argument. New York Knicks are the largest market team. Tell me how many star players they have...
This point of view neither proves nor disproves the small market "argument" (which really is not even an argument). A better question to ask would be how many more star players/big name free agents have the Knicks had than the Kings, and which team is likelier to get another star/big name, without the benefit of the draft or a trade first. If your answer is not New York, you may want to reexamine your biases.

Just trying to offer this singular point in time as some kind of proof that the Kings and Knicks are on the same level of viability for big name players is a little bit specious. The Sodom Knicks don't quite have the allure that the Gomorrah Lakers have, but they definitely have more than the Sacramento Kings.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
I don't think players can really leave after the rookie contract if the team chooses to pay max or match any offers. They are restricted free agents.
Well, they can if they don't sign any offers. The Kings will make Evans a qualifying offer in 2013; they'd be foolish not to. That will give them the right to match any offer from any team... IF he signs an offer sheet with another team in 2013. However, comma, if he just accepts the qualifying offer, and lets that be it, and doesn't sign anybody's offer sheet, then he becomes an unrestricted free agent in 2014.

Well, they can if they don't sign any offers. The Kings will make Evans a qualifying offer in 2013; they'd be foolish not to. That will give them the right to match any offer from any team... IF he signs an offer sheet with another team in 2013. However, comma, if he just accepts the qualifying offer, and lets that be it, and doesn't sign anybody's offer sheet, then he becomes an unrestricted free agent in 2014.

The key is he can't really go anywhere else without the Kings matching it. And I would think his camp would want to secure all the money put on the table instead of maybe injuries.... you never know. If someone throws about $75 million worth of max extension, whats the point of waiting?

If Tyreke develops into a top 3 player like a wade and lebron, then by the time his 3rd contract time comes around, I'm sure we'll hear all the suitors and media talking about how Tyreke should leave the Kings for a bigger market and all that like they are doing with Lebron right now.

I have no doubt, if things continue on the course they are right now for Tyreke, that the Maloof's will roll out the red carpet more than they did with Chris Webber when it comes to re-signing, i.e. $$$$$$$$$$$

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
The key is he can't really go anywhere else without the Kings matching it.
No, that's not true. Technically, his rookie contract, presuming that the Kings invoke their team option next year which, of course, they will, goes until 2013. At the point, the Kings will make him a qualifying offer in 2013. IF Evans does NOT accept the qualifying offer, then he is a restricted free agent in 2013, and the Kings have the right to match any contract offer. BUT... if Evans DOES accept the qualifying offer, then instead of being signed to a second contract with the Kings, he becomes an unrestricted free agent the following season, free and clear, and the Kings will not retain the right to match anything.

Last edited:
No, that's not true. Technically, his rookie contract, presuming that the Kings invoke their team option next year which, of course, they will, goes until 2013. At the point, the Kings will make him a qualifying offer in 2013. IF Evans does NOT accept the qualifying offer, then he is a restricted free agent in 2013, and the Kings have the right to match any contract offer. BUT... if Evans DOES accept the qualifying offer, then instead of being signed to a second contract with the Kings, he becomes an unrestricted free agent, free and clear, and the Kings will not retain the right to match anything.
Ok so, wait. I already have a headache, but let me see if I got this

Kings offer qualifying offer in 2013:

He declines and becomes a restricted FA
He accepts it he becomes an unrestricted FA

Um, how does that work and why is this not making any sense to me. Please explain this to me like I am two years old :confused:

Last edited:

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
Ok so, wait. I already have a headache, but let me see if I got this

Kings offer qualifying offer in 2013:

He declines and becomes a restricted FA
He accepts it he becomes an unrestricted FA

Um, how does that work and why is this not making any sense to me. Please explain this to me like I am two years old :confused:
Sorry, my ISP went wonky on me before I could edit my post. This part should have said:

BUT... if Evans DOES accept the qualifying offer, then instead of being signed to a second contract with the Kings, he becomes an unrestricted free agent the following season, free and clear, and the Kings will not retain the right to match anything.
In other words:
He accepts the qualifying offer, he becomes an unrestricted free agent in 2014. Or,
He declines the qualifying offer, he becomes a restricted free agent in 2013. Kings have the right to match any offer... in 2013.

BUT,
As unlikely as it may be, if he declines the qualifying offer in 2013 AND no teams offer him a deal in 2013, then he still becomes an unrestricted free agent in 2014.

Last edited:
Sorry, my ISP went wonky on me before I could edit my post. This part should have said:

In other words:
He accepts the qualifying offer, he becomes an unrestricted free agent in 2014. Or,
He declines the qualifying offer, he becomes a restricted free agent in 2013. Kings have the right to match any offer... in 2013.

BUT,
As unlikely as it may be, if he declines the qualifying offer in 2013 AND no teams offer him a deal in 2013, then he still becomes an unrestricted free agent in 2014.

So if he accepts the qualifying offer then he's still on a rookie contract in 2013-2014?

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
So if he accepts the qualifying offer then he's still on a rookie contract in 2013-2014?

If he accepts the qualifying offer, jumps off the Tower Bridge will be an entirely appropriate response, because we are gong to offer him the max, and the only reason for him to accept the QO would be if he had at least some thought of leaving.

Absolutely ciritcal we have this thing up and running well by then. Good team making strong playoff runs with a title in sight. Good guys. Good coach. And plenty of individual accolades for Reke.

Last edited:

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
What was the last quality free agent to come here? Vlade?
Tyreke wouldn't be coming here as a free agent, he'd be resigning. I think you can add Webber to the "quality players who resigned" list at the very least. Bibby, Stojakovic, Martin...it doesn't seem that unlikely to me.

If he accepts the qualifying offer jumps off the Tower Bridge will be an entirely appropriate response, because we are gong to offer him the max, and the only reason for him to accept the QO would be if he had at least some thought of leaving.

Absolutely ciritcal we have this thing up and running well by then. Good team making strong playoff runs with a title in sight. Good guys. Good coach. And plenty of individual accolades for Reke.

Thats what I was getting at. If we offer him max, I don't see why he would walk away from that kind of money for him on the table. Max contract guarantee... or go into the season making a lot less then he could've by only taking the QO and then risk losing a max contract if he gets injured? No one is really that stupid unless they really hate the team with a passion

Here is an article about Lamont Peterson and he talks about Team Tyreke all wanting him to be drafted by the Kings because it takes pressure off Tyreke and just let him play basketball.

http://sacramentopress.com/headline/24629/Peterson_witnesses_Evans_growth

From what I've seen, Tyreke is not the out going out there personality like a Lebron or Dwight Howard. I can see him joking around with his teammates and the people he knows, but he is not the big city type of guy and there is absolutely nothing wrong with that. Everyone is different. Also if Lebron stays with the Cavs, it sets a precedent that superstars can still shine with smaller market teams. As long as the player himself is marketable, the media and endorsements will find him.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
Thats what I was getting at. If we offer him max, I don't see why he would walk away from that kind of money for him on the table. Max contract guarantee... or go into the season making a lot less then he could've by only taking the QO and then risk losing a max contract if he gets injured? No one is really that stupid unless they really hate the team with a passion.
This relies on the premise that money is the most important thing to him, or even in the top three. If he doesn't feel that the Kings are committed to building a winning team around him, why would he shackle himself to an albatross of a max deal?

This relies on the premise that money is the most important thing to him, or even in the top three. If he doesn't feel that the Kings are committed to building a winning team around him, why would he shackle himself to an albatross of a max deal?
"Team Tyreke's blueprint."

Sac Bee Article said:
It's all part of a plan called "the Blueprint."

Evans' charge is to figure out the NBA game, to dominate like he did back home in Chester, Pa., and at the University of Memphis, while always sticking to the script.

The plan first calls for a Rookie of the Year Award, to be followed by NBA championships, league MVP trophies and two maximum-salary contracts over a 15-year career. This is, they all agree, Evans' basketball destiny

Read more: http://www.sacbee.com/2010/01/03/2434229/kings-evans-grows-up-with-help.html#ixzz0lKUzgElm

Last edited: