TV - What's your passion (NON-sports)?

Warhawk

The cake is a lie.
Staff member
Started watching Upload (Prime) today while donating blood - made it through the first three episodes of Season 1 (of 2 so far?). Interesting premise, some stereotypical characters but at least some are starting to show a few additional dimensions to them, and fairly entertaining. So far, recommended.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
I was initially skeptical when they announced that Jameela Jamil had been cast to play Titania on She-Hulk: Attorney at Law, but this character reset has grown on me. Quite frankly, playing Titania as a super-strong version of her character from The Good Place works for the actor in a way that playing her more like the 616 comics version simply wouldn't have.

Love seeing more Mallory Book, love seeing more cases involving D and E-list Marvel characters, ready to see Jen back in court. One of the more frequent complaints I've read online about this show has been the lack of a season-long overarching storyline but, personally, I think that the format of the show works better without one. It's looking like the last third of the season is going to have one, anyway, though.

So far I like the new Disney plus series Andor. Wondering when the series ends, how close it will be to the start of Rogue One which was one of my favorite Star Wars movies.

Warhawk

The cake is a lie.
Staff member
So far I like the new Disney plus series Andor. Wondering when the series ends, how close it will be to the start of Rogue One which was one of my favorite Star Wars movies.
I just haven't sat down to watch this yet - I need more time! My friend says it is very slow, but then again if it isn't a Top Gun or Star Wars movie he probably thinks it is too slow. :rolleyes:

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
The expected assholery aside, some of the online reaction to the most recent episode of She-Hulk reaffirms my belief that people should not watch TV shows with a work setting that corresponds to their actual job. Like, my brain can't process being the kind of person who watches a TV show, trying to find technical mistakes.

The expected assholery aside, some of the online reaction to the most recent episode of She-Hulk reaffirms my belief that people should not watch TV shows with a work setting that corresponds to their actual job. Like, my brain can't process being the kind of person who watches a TV show, trying to find technical mistakes.
I still cannot watch any emergency medical response shows without wanting to throw a protocol book through the TV.

Any time someone speaks Japanese on an English language show, I immediately reach for the mute button because I know it’s going to take me out of the show for the next half-hour.
The Newsroom’s Fukushima episode must have made you want to break a window.

The worst EMS offender for me was the short lived show Trauma about medics in San Francisco. Had a helicopter crew flying around the city as if they were just another fleet rig responding to random medicals. The EMT flying the chopper said she didn’t want to get her medic license because they’d put her in an ambulance instead.

Impressively wrong at several points in that paragraph.

Warhawk

The cake is a lie.
Staff member
Started watching Upload (Prime) today while donating blood - made it through the first three episodes of Season 1 (of 2 so far?). Interesting premise, some stereotypical characters but at least some are starting to show a few additional dimensions to them, and fairly entertaining. So far, recommended.
Finished both seasons of this. A little quirky, some interesting characters and themes, but it seems like they start mixing in some random plot items and MacGuffins here and there. I enjoyed it. Not the best, but not bad either.

Watched The Peripheral on Prime
Took a few episodes to really understand, although there is still some unfolding of what the heck is going on but a solid beginning as far as sci-fi goes.

Finished The Patient on Hulu with Steve Carrell. Solid series, not great, definitely different
Slowly making my way thru The Watchers on Netflix. Another solid show, good enough for me to keep coming back when I have some time and nothing else to watch……not sure if that is a great endorsement but it’s ok.

Started watching Absentia on Prime. Zipped through Season 1. Kind of partFugitive, part Saw(without all the grisly deaths but with the twists), part detective show.

I do plan to take a look at The English on Prime which looks really interesting

I'm so thankful to have recently (re)discovered Community streaming on Netflix. I saw a few episodes of it years ago and remembered liking it, but never sought it out until earlier this month.

The "crappy Community college" setting is so refreshingly quirky, and gives room for a lot of imaginative plot lines. One week its a Goodfella's style gangster drama in which the crew skims chicken fingers from the lunch room for influence; the next week its a campus-wide, apocalyptic paintball tournament for the prize of "priority registration." It's both surprising and impressive this was ever on Network TV, and renewed a few times.

I've only finished a little more than the first season, but this has quickly shot to the top of my favorite TV shows list. Really excited to see all 6 seasons ...

... and a movie.

Last edited:

Warhawk

The cake is a lie.
Staff member
Caught The Guardians of the Galaxy Holiday Special (Disney+) - while a bit campy and over the top at times (and a no-CGI Groot - man in a suit), the theme was good and the original music somewhat entertaining. Not much else I could say about it without spoiling stuff, but it was OK for what it was. I kind of anticipated that bent to this one show.

Wednesday looks like a Harry Potter fanfic starring Wednesday Addams for no reason and I’m way in for it.

Wednesday turned out to be exactly as I predicted with considerably less enriching world-building than Harry Potter, and a lot more "CW fanfic" level-writing than I would have liked.

Jenna Ortega is flawless as Wednesday, and her relationship with "rainbows and unicorns" werewolf roomie Enid is ripe for developing. The setting of an "outcast" school of monsters down the road from a conservative Vermont town with a "Pilgrim theme-park" based economy narrowly walks the line of absurdist and amusing, but is compelling enough to warrant exploring. (Explained why it was released during Thanksgiving instead of the seemingly obvious Halloween. This is a now-pantented Wednesday take-down of colonialism and Thanksgiving white-washing.)

But not enough attention is paid to establishing that setting. Instead, the plot devolves into a Nickelodeon "Are You Afraid of the Dark" murder mystery, while Wednesday juggles the inexplicable affections and advances of a number of nerdy-hunk pasty boys.

If there is a season 2, I'll probably watch because of Ortega's stellar performance, Wednesday's relationship with Enid, and hope for more development of Nevermore Academy, its students and staff, and relationship to Jericho. But if it becomes another CW dramedy teenybopper romance with a Nancy Drew mystery, I won't be happy about it.

Wednesday turned out to be exactly as I predicted with considerably less enriching world-building than Harry Potter, and a lot more "CW fanfic" level-writing than I would have liked.

Jenna Ortega is flawless as Wednesday, and her relationship with "rainbows and unicorns" werewolf roomie Enid is ripe for developing. The setting of an "outcast" school of monsters down the road from a conservative Vermont town with a "Pilgrim theme-park" based economy narrowly walks the line of absurdist and amusing, but is compelling enough to warrant exploring. (Explained why it was released during Thanksgiving instead of the seemingly obvious Halloween. This is a now-pantented Wednesday take-down of colonialism and Thanksgiving white-washing.)

But not enough attention is paid to establishing that setting. Instead, the plot devolves into a Nickelodeon "Are You Afraid of the Dark" murder mystery, while Wednesday juggles the inexplicable affections and advances of a number of nerdy-hunk pasty boys.

If there is a season 2, I'll probably watch because of Ortega's stellar performance, Wednesday's relationship with Enid, and hope for more development of Nevermore Academy, its students and staff, and relationship to Jericho. But if it becomes another CW dramedy teenybopper romance with a Nancy Drew mystery, I won't be happy about it.
The wife and I binged this one. We both enjoyed it quite a bit. Agree that depending on where it goes is going to be interesting in that it needs to stay the course. Ortega was fantastic. Without her, not sure the show would be of interest. Loved Thing. Huge part of the show.

Warhawk

The cake is a lie.
Staff member
Binged most of Andor (Disney+) and while it took a bit to get rolling, this is a darn good show. An excellent entry into the Star Wars universe and I can't wait to watch the last couple episodes.
Finished it up tonight. Watch the post-credit scene on the last episode if you watch this. Wow.

Warhawk

The cake is a lie.
Staff member
We watched the rest of Blacklist last night (had a few episodes recorded) - pretty good ending, actually, even with a few plot holes. Also never really cleared up (conclusively)
the whole "who's your daddy" question
. But, good show overall. We really enjoyed it.

Warhawk

The cake is a lie.
Staff member
Just finished up season 1 of The Sandman (Netflix) - strange, unique, and a little on the goth side for the main actor, but I liked it. Interesting to see where they take it next season. I was surprised to see Brienne of Tarth take a turn as Lucifer Morningstar (below), but it was a welcome addition to the show. Interesting that Mark Hamill played Merv Pumpkinhead (CGI character) as well - he does good voice acting work. Recommended.

1673753195286.png