TV - What's your passion (NON-sports)?

Warhawk

The cake is a lie.
Staff member
You’ve managed to get a few episodes ahead of me, despite it being on my “must watch” list in excess of a year.

So, not as late as some.
I'm in the beginning of the 4th (and last) season of Mr. Robot right now. Season 2 was just hard to watch. I liked the setup in Season 1, and Season 3 and 4 (so far) have also been very good. Season 2 could have been cut down to 1/4 the length, if that, and still been just fine. I don't need a super long extended dive into his
mental illness.
It's...superfluous and unnecessary. Still, the show is highly recommended so far and I should finish it up this week sometime.

Started watching Loki with my son today. He went to his mom's for the week so I think when he comes back we'll watch the remaining episodes and catch the finale. I really liked. I'm slowly making my way through the Disney content.

We watched the first two seasons of the Umbrella Academy last time he was here and he went with my mom up to Seattle for the week and came back with several UA Funko pops, so I guess he really liked that one. Funny that both shows had organizations dedicated to restoring the proper timeline. I think we'll watch Jupiter Rising after Loki.

I got a year of Apple TV with an ipad and am about to start Ted Lasso.

Warhawk

The cake is a lie.
Staff member
I'm in the beginning of the 4th (and last) season of Mr. Robot right now. Season 2 was just hard to watch. I liked the setup in Season 1, and Season 3 and 4 (so far) have also been very good. Season 2 could have been cut down to 1/4 the length, if that, and still been just fine. I don't need a super long extended dive into his
mental illness.
It's...superfluous and unnecessary. Still, the show is highly recommended so far and I should finish it up this week sometime.
Just wrapped this one up tonight. Great show. Highly recommended, even with a lesser (IMHO) season 2 in there. Interesting ending.

Warhawk

The cake is a lie.
Staff member
I was unexpectedly spending a lot of time out of town for work so I watched both seasons of Love Death & Robots - a collection of animated short stories on Netflix dealing with, well, love, death, and/or robots. Most/all range from fantasy to sci-fi to mild horror.

The animation ranges from Saturday morning cartoon quality to photorealistic rendering. That doesn't dictate how good the stories are though. Some of the stories were really well done and some didn't do as much for me, regardless of the type of animation. But most had some thought provoking themes, interesting little stories, or good plot twists. Most are definitely NSFW, with violence, nudity and/or language - FYI.

If you are looking for something a bit different, spin this one up. The difficulty here is that some are IMHO better than others. You are going to have to watch the good with those that were more pedestrian.

A few that I thought were very good, thought provoking, had good twists, or are just plain funny/weird enough to mention (I liked several others as well):

Ice Age
Sonnie's Edge
When the Yogurt Took Over
The Witness
Suits
Helping Hand
Alternate Histories
Lucky 13
Snow in the Desert
Life Hutch

But watch them all if you decide to check it out. That's the fun of this anthology.

Last edited:
Been watching Atypical on Netflix. Wife and I found something we can both enjoy. Involves Jennifer Jason Leigh and Micheal Rappaport as a married couple with 2 teenagers, one who is autistic. Surrounding characters are funny as is the family who are a mess and flawed but who manage to do the right thing just enough.

30 minute episodes make it bingeable

So of course I binged I Think You Should Leave a week ago when it became available and already rewatched the first episode with kiddo after we finished up Loki and watched the first 3 episodes of Monsters at Work.

I was unsure if this season was going to take off but sure enough a colleague at work shows up today with the craziest shirt I'd ever seen. It must be $2000. He won't eat lunch all week.

Warhawk

The cake is a lie.
Staff member
Just started watching GoT - I've read all the books but finally have HBO access to watch the show, too. Seem to be pretty faithful to the books so far (partway though Season 1 right now).
So, about 3.5 months later I finished all 8 seasons (Game of Thrones, HBO). I have to say, darn good adaptation of the books and a very well done show overall.

I agree the first half of season 8 was excessively dark (visually, not content). Why is this so hard to get right for some films/shows?

Anyways, that's a minor quibble. Excellent show.

Also, while I fully expected Ayra to kill either the Night King or Cersei, I expected it to be more of a Faceless Man situation rather than a flying leap from behind.

Also, I was thinking Bran would be the Hand of the next King, and not the King.

Last edited:
Anybody catch the Netflix doc: Untold: Malice at the Palace?

It was pretty interesting and had some footage that I hadn’t seen before. The one on ones with Artest (Meta), Stephen Jackson and O’Neill were enlightening.

Also, the guy who threw the drink at Ron comes off as a total D-bag.

Last edited:
Anybody catch the Netflix doc: Untold: Malice at the Palace?

It was pretty interesting and had some footage that I hadn’t seen before. The one on ones with Artest (Meta), Stephen Jackson and O’Neill were enlightening.

Also, the guy who threw the drink at Ron comes off as a total D-bag.
yes, was good. . Artest leaning over to Jackson in the locker room immediately post brawl and asking him if he thinks they are going to get in trouble is the most Ron Artest thing ever.

Finally binged all 6 seasons of The Americans.

Rather fantastic overall. Loved the Cold War paranoia and espionage, not-quite-Stranger Things-level 80s nostalgia, and - still for reasons I cannot fully explain - Keri Russell. My wife also dug it, despite going in reluctantly. Had to pitch the series hard to her, but by the end, she was walking around the house menacingly quoting Russian.

Some storylines did however drag on too long, feeling unnaturally stretched for padding. A few times after the Jennings had expertly deceived, disgraced, or destroyed one of their many targets, I'd completely forgotten why they'd set out to do so some 2-3 seasons earlier.

But the series nestled cozily into my suspension of disbelief, establishing reasonably well how these two very American suburbanites could possibly be taken seriously as deeply-embedded Soviet spies. It ratcheted up the stakes and intrigue with each episode, and encouraged the viewer to "root for the bad guys" as it were. And the series finale was a near perfect 60 minute thrill ride of understated tension wrapping things up in, I think, one of the only satisfying ways possible.

Ultimately The Americans ends up being in the same ballpark for me as The Newsroom and House of Cards, scratching a similar itch. But while The Americans proved more consistent in quality overall, it lags a tad behind the latter two's more memorable, dizzyingly stellar high points.

Last edited:

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude

Rather fantastic overall. Loved the Cold War paranoia and espionage, not-quite-Stranger Things-level 80s nostalgia, and - still for reasons I cannot fully explain - Keri Russell. My wife also dug it, despite going in reluctantly. Had to pitch the series hard to her, but by the end, she was walking around the house menacingly quoting Russian.

Some storylines did however drag on too long, feeling unnaturally stretched for padding. A few times after the Jennings had expertly deceived, disgraced, or destroyed one of their many targets, I'd completely forgotten why they'd set out to do so some 2-3 seasons earlier.

But the series nestled cozily into my suspension of disbelief, establishing reasonably well how these two very American actors could possibly be taken seriously as deeply-embedded Soviet spies. It ratcheted up the stakes and intrigue with each episode, and encouraged the viewer to "root for the bad guys" as it were. And the series finale was a near perfect 60 minute thrill ride of understated tension wrapping things up in, I think, one of the only satisfying ways possible.

Ultimately The Americans ends up being in the same ballpark for me as The Newsroom and House of Cards, scratching a similar itch. But while The Americans proved more consistent in quality overall, it lags a tad behind the latter two's more memorable, dizzyingly stellar high points.
Not sure if you were referring to the characters or the actors portraying them here but Matthew Rhys is very very Welsh in real life lol

Absolutely agree that it's a fantastic show though. Possibly my favorite of the past ten years.

But the series nestled cozily into my suspension of disbelief, establishing reasonably well how these two very American actors could possibly be taken seriously as deeply-embedded Soviet spies. It ratcheted up the stakes and intrigue with each episode, and encouraged the viewer to "root for the bad guys" as it were. And the series finale was a near perfect 60 minute thrill ride of understated tension wrapping things up in, I think, one of the only satisfying ways possible.

The Americans was great TV for me and delivered at the end which sometimes proves difficult.

On a side note, finished binging Boardwalk Empire. Really loved the show and I thought they also wrapped up the series in a fitting way. Both of the series go into my top 10-15

Not sure if you were referring to the characters or the actors portraying them here but Matthew Rhys is very very Welsh in real life lol

Absolutely agree that it's a fantastic show though. Possibly my favorite of the past ten years.
Good catch. Did not know that. He yawped the F-word with such convincing American bravado.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Caught up on Evil on Paramount+ before the series resumes on Sunday. Much better than a show that pretty much started as “the X-Files but about demons“ should be and a showcase for some of Hollywood’s most under-appreciated character actors.