TV - What's your passion (NON-sports)?

Warhawk

The cake is a lie.
Staff member
I've already got Netflix, Prime, and Disney+. I'm not about to start spending more on Apple TV, etc., etc., even if there are some good shows available. I wish they would drop like 4/5 of the channels on Dish (man, is there a bunch of junk on all those packages) and add a few of these that people really would watch for the same price.

There was something else on Apple TV a while back I was interested in, but can't remember what now.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
You get a year free of Apple TV when you purchase a new Apple device. Otherwise, it’s five bucks a month (unless you’re like me and already ensconced in the Apple ecosystem with the music/News/cloud/whatever plan).

you can also get a free seven day trial and cancel before the first monthly payment kicks in.

if I had to get rid of some of my streaming platform subscriptions, Apple TV would surprisingly be one of the last to go, mostly because, like I said, it’s just one part of the mega plan I’m paying for from Apple. (The first to go would probably be Peacock). Of course, I probably wouldn’t be using most of these services if I couldn’t just write them all off as a work expense.

Watched the first episode of the new Prime series, Them. Very promising and then a twist at the end of the first episode. I mean this looks like it’s made by Jordan Peele but I don’t see his name attached to it at all. Just off 1 episode, I highly recommend it.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Not sure how Marvel was able to keep a certain casting choice under wraps until tonight but I legitimately jumped when perhaps
the greatest comedy actress
of her generation
showed up as Madame Freaking Hydra

Last edited:

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
Not sure how Marvel was able to keep a certain casting choice under wraps until tonight but I legitimately jumped when perhaps
the greatest comedy actress
of her generation
showed up as Madame Freaking Hydra
They must have the same lawyer who drafts Beyoncé's NDAs on retainer.

I think this last episode was pretty well done. I'm really enjoying these Marvel series on Disney+, with Loki up next in a couple weeks.
Yes, I think the speech by
Falcon/Captain America
in the street with the Senators was extremely good. Damn good series

***mod edit - added spoiler tag for those who haven't watched it yet.

Last edited by a moderator:

Warhawk

The cake is a lie.
Staff member
If I can humbly make a request - when listing a show you like, especially one that not everyone may know about, please list where you can see it (Netflix, Prime, etc.) to make it easier for others to hunt down. Thanks!

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Back in the states to wait out the State of Emergency in Japan/to get vaccinated, rewatched Ted Lasso (AppleTV+) with my dad. Still holds up on a second viewing.

Also agree that Mare of Easttown is starting out real well. Sorta reminds me of a Pennsylvanian version of Broadchurch thus far but that was one of the best "murder mystery" dramas of the past decade so that's high praise.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
Well, that would have been a perfectly acceptable series finale but, either way, at least I can finally stop hate-watching this show. No Neric = no interest.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Mare of Easttown was another detective show that wound up outsmarting itself and pretty much throwing in one too many curveballs to end the story. Great performances all around and a great first 5 and a half episodes but hard to say they really stuck the landing.

On the other hand, Girls5eva and Young Rock were both delightful.

Have just started Vikings on Hulu. Was recommended to me and I also see the great rating it has. Looks good after 3 episodes. I like the lead, don’t know his name but he was in Raised by Wolves.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Thought I posted about it but I apparently didn't so I'll just say that Superman & Lois is probably the best non-animated Superman adaption since the Richard Donner movies.

Warhawk

The cake is a lie.
Staff member
Loved the first episode of Loki. Might be my favorite start to a marvel series so far…and the other 2 weren’t slouches.
It definitely peaked my curiosity on where they are going to go with this. Kind of a left turn in the whole MCU....at least for those of us who haven't really read the comics much and are just going off the movies.

Warhawk

The cake is a lie.
Staff member
It definitely peaked my curiosity on where they are going to go with this. Kind of a left turn in the whole MCU....at least for those of us who haven't really read the comics much and are just going off the movies.
So, I liked the second episode as well, but:
If Loki had regained his powers (which he did, as he exhibited as they entered the building and his drying himself off instantly), why didn't he use them to fight the variant?