TV - What's your passion (NON-sports)?

Binged I’ll Be Gone in the Dark and, considering the content matter of the series at large, I probably enjoyed going ”I walked down that street to go to soccer practice!” and the like as a born-and-raised Rancho Cordovan far too much.
was excellent. She was a pretty remarkable person.

I dropped HBO from my direct tv as I was having the same problems. Thru my Samsung tv I was able to download the app and then pay the same cost as having it on direct tv.
so I have direct tv and they gave it to me for free, but no clue how to even get it uploaded. Then I have the HBO app through fire tv (I think lol), but when I went into my apps to try and upload it, it’s nowhere to be found. I heard something about no contract with amazon and WB, but who knows. I think this is silly to have so many HBO apps

so I have direct tv and they gave it to me for free, but no clue how to even get it uploaded. Then I have the HBO app through fire tv (I think lol), but when I went into my apps to try and upload it, it’s nowhere to be found. I heard something about no contract with amazon and WB, but who knows. I think this is silly to have so many HBO apps
Correct.....I also couldn’t get the direct tv log in using my direct tv acct number. It took me to att and att didnot recognize My account. Finally just pulled the plug. From my Samsung tv I was able to download and then I just cancelled hbo with direct tv and took those savings to pay for the hbo Max.

i had to google how to make this happen because after calling calling direct tv customer support, the rep couldn’t help me. I mean, I think the vibe I’m getting is people are leaving hbo thru direct tv because it’s the same price and infinitely easier to just stream with the stand alone app

in your case, check to see if your tv will support Downloading the hbo Max app. Also, check to see if you can use your hbo app through fire tv and use that account info to get hbo Max.

i think it’s worth it to get it

Warhawk

The cake is a lie.
Staff member
Really started digging into Season 1 of The Boys on Prime Video. I'm maybe 5 episodes in and I'm really digging what they are dishing out right now. Everyone knows I like all the Marvel stuff, but this super-cynical take on superheroes is right up my alley as well.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Correct.....I also couldn’t get the direct tv log in using my direct tv acct number. It took me to att and att didnot recognize My account. Finally just pulled the plug. From my Samsung tv I was able to download and then I just cancelled hbo with direct tv and took those savings to pay for the hbo Max.

i had to google how to make this happen because after calling calling direct tv customer support, the rep couldn’t help me. I mean, I think the vibe I’m getting is people are leaving hbo thru direct tv because it’s the same price and infinitely easier to just stream with the stand alone app

in your case, check to see if your tv will support Downloading the hbo Max app. Also, check to see if you can use your hbo app through fire tv and use that account info to get hbo Max.

i think it’s worth it to get it
Yup. Logging onto HBOMax is a huge hassle but it's probably been my most used streaming app since the start of quarantine. The TCM selection is great, having all of HBO is awesome, and the other random stuff they have on there is pretty good as well.

Warhawk

The cake is a lie.
Staff member
I'm pretty much caught up on The Boys. My wife wanted to start watching Cobra Kai last night. A bit more her kind of show than mine, but not too bad through the first 4 episodes or so (but pretty formulaic so far). Especially if you have that 80's nostalgia going on for the Karate Kid movies (which I don't). She's heard it is pretty good from some friends so we will give it a shot.

I'm pretty much caught up on The Boys. My wife wanted to start watching Cobra Kai last night. A bit more her kind of show than mine, but not too bad through the first 4 episodes or so (but pretty formulaic so far). Especially if you have that 80's nostalgia going on for the Karate Kid movies (which I don't). She's heard it is pretty good from some friends so we will give it a shot.
I just got caught up on the boys last night. I hate Homelander lol. Might be the most unlikable, psychotic character ever..,and then StormFront says hold my beer
That’s funny, I started cobra Kai last weekend and finished the whole season in one sitting. The 25 min episodes really make it fly by. It is highly entertaining, funny and just a fun watch . Johnny is hilarious

Warhawk

The cake is a lie.
Staff member
I just got caught up on the boys last night. I hate Homelander lol. Might be the most unlikable, psychotic character ever..,and then StormFront says hold my beer
That’s funny, I started cobra Kai last weekend and finished the whole season in one sitting. The 25 min episodes really make it fly by. It is highly entertaining, funny and just a fun watch . Johnny is hilarious
I think I might be one episode behind on The Boys. Pretty much caught up though. I agree with your assessment. I'm really hoping someone hands Homelander his *** on a plate soon. :)

Was bummed they killed off Elisabeth Shue, though. I always liked her.

Yeah, Cobra Kai definitely has it's moments. I'm just waiting for some of the story lines to kick in a bit more.

I also want to get back to watching Parks and Rec again to see how that series develops a bit.

Started watching Away on Netflix with Hillary Swank. Space is Involved so of course I’m watching. 2 episodes in, its balanced between the characters family relationships and actually being in space. Good enough so far, I’ll keep watching.

Warhawk

The cake is a lie.
Staff member
Started watching Away on Netflix with Hillary Swank. Space is Involved so of course I’m watching. 2 episodes in, its balanced between the characters family relationships and actually being in space. Good enough so far, I’ll keep watching.
I know it is not exactly the same, but it sounds a lot like Another Life on Netflix. Have you watched that? How does it compare? Sounds like it may be more of a "wife friendly" version (at least in my house!) of Another Life. (Wife leaves her family to head up a space voyage, some family drama mixed in, troubles with the ship during the trip, personality clashes on board, etc., etc.)

Although it seems like Away may be more like the Apollo 13, Gravity, or The Martian movies and Another Life is more your typical sci-fi action/horror movie mashup (and not always in the best way).

Last edited:
I know it is not exactly the same, but it sounds a lot like Another Life on Netflix. Have you watched that? How does it compare? Sounds like it may be more of a "wife friendly" version (at least in my house!) of Another Life. (Wife leaves her family to head up a space voyage, some family drama mixed in, troubles with the ship during the trip, personality clashes on board, etc., etc.)

Although it seems like Away may be more like the Apollo 13, Gravity, or The Martian movies and Another Life is more your typical sci-fi action/horror movie mashup (and not always in the best way).
I started watching Another Life but didn’t finish the episode. Started it at the beginning of the stay at home order and was looking for more traditional sci-fi and stopped watching because of that and not because I didn’t like it.

Im only 2 episodes in on Away. Episode 2 did have a good scene in regards to spaceship in space trouble. I don’t like it enough to binge every episode but I liked what I saw....just watch at a slower pace

Binge watched the entire series of Ratched yesterda. Ryan Murphy series but it wasn’t as over the top as American Horror Story. I think critics are killing it but I enjoyed it. Didn’t love it but enjoyed it.

mess too tired to watch Sunday, but going to watch tonight. How would you put it up against the first 3 seasons so far?
I mean, it has the pace and writing of Fargo, but it’s certainly different. Trying to remember the other seasons and they were more in the present and this is a different time period. Has multiple story lines that somehow, someway will come together at the end of the season. Chris Rock is good. Jason Schwartzman, I think that’s his name, is really good.

Looking for recommendations

i watched first episode(s) of these shows and seeing if anyone highly recommends one over the other
Sneaky Pete
The Expanse
The Haunting of Hill House

Went with shows who have high ratings in Rotten Tomatoes.....and each in a genre I like

Warhawk

The cake is a lie.
Staff member
I really liked The Expanse. I haven't seen the others. I think season 2 (?) lags and gets a little lost in the middle for about 3-4 episodes; it seems like the show was changing storylines a bit and didn't transition too well, but other than that I recommend it.

Looking for recommendations

i watched first episode(s) of these shows and seeing if anyone highly recommends one over the other
Sneaky Pete
The Expanse
The Haunting of Hill House

Went with shows who have high ratings in Rotten Tomatoes.....and each in a genre I like
couldn’t get into sneaky Pete, but think I need to try again
Hill house was pretty good
Haven’t seen the expanse, but heard that is excellent