TV - What's your passion (NON-sports)?

Caught the first episode of The Late Late Show with Jason Corden. It definitely didn't suck. In some ways it's more traditional than Craig Ferguson (there's a house band, for example), but he's also added a couple of spins (such as bringing out the evening's guests together instead of separately). On those nights when I'm just too keyed up to sleep, this show will definitely be a viable alternative.
on the subject of late night talk shows, i wonder about their vitality circa 2015. james corden strikes me as a perfectly acceptable host... and i suppose that's what bothers me about the decision to hire him as a replacement for craig ferguson. "it definitely didn't suck" is an unfortunately low bar for any kind of television programming, particularly given the internet age's massive entertainment landscape. at least ferguson had a unique and acerbic wit to differentiate himself from the pack...

david letterman brought wonderful interiority and self-reflexivity to late night television, and i'm interested to see how stephen colbert will fill those shoes, but corden is basically occupying the same affable nice guy niche that jimmy fallon has already dominated, and i'm just not sure we need another late night show that simply "doesn't suck," not with guys like jimmy kimmel and seth meyers already in the game. goodness, it sure would be exciting to see someone other than a middle-aged white guy occupying one of those chairs. i've long dreamed of sarah silverman taking on such a gig, or amy poehler, or chris rock, or any of a dozen exceptional comic talents who would skew the current late-night line-up away from its stunningly 1950's male whitebread appeal...

that said, i did like corden's decision to bring reggie watts into his house band. watts is a brilliant musician and improviser with a comedic bent that's well-suited to a talk show or variety show atmosphere. loved him on IFC's Comedy Bang! Bang!, and it's nice to see him introduced to a wider audience...

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
on the subject of late night talk shows, i wonder about their vitality circa 2015. james corden strikes me as a perfectly acceptable host... and i suppose that's what bothers me about the decision to hire him as a replacement for craig ferguson. "it definitely didn't suck" is an unfortunately low bar for any kind of television programming, particularly given the internet age's massive entertainment landscape. at least ferguson had a unique and acerbic wit to differentiate himself from the pack...

david letterman brought wonderful interiority and self-reflexivity to late night television, and i'm interested to see how stephen colbert will fill those shoes, but corden is basically occupying the same affable nice guy niche that jimmy fallon has already dominated, and i'm just not sure we need another late night show that simply "doesn't suck," not with guys like jimmy kimmel and seth meyers already in the game. goodness, it sure would be exciting to see someone other than a middle-aged white guy occupying one of those chairs. i've long dreamed of sarah silverman taking on such a gig, or amy poehler, or chris rock, or any of a dozen exceptional comic talents who would skew the current late-night line-up away from its stunningly 1950's male whitebread appeal...

that said, i did like corden's decision to bring reggie watts into his house band. watts is a brilliant musician and improviser with a comedic bent that's well-suited to a talk show or variety show atmosphere. loved him on IFC's Comedy Bang! Bang!, and it's nice to see him introduced to a wider audience...
I didn't mean the "definitely didn't suck" in a negative or demeaning way. Some of my friends have taken to using "it definitely didn't suck" as a positive commentary and I used it here without considering that it might be taken differently.

As far as the people you've named that you would like to see, I wouldn't tune in for any of them. :p

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
so AMC put Mad Men on hold for nearly one year just to finish airing the last four episodes? they did the same with Breaking Bad except it had a few more episodes to finish the Season Finale. Ultimate blue ball maneuver by AMC.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Add Christina Ricci in "The Lizzie Borden Chronicles" to my must-see list. Luckily, I have a couple of recent vacancies.

Little girl standing defiantly and staring at Ricci: "I'm not afraid of you."

Lizzie (who has a hatchet in her hand she grabbed from a cigar Indian display to scare away a bunch of kids jumping rope and chanting the infamous "Lizzie Borden took an axe..."): "Then you haven't been paying attention."

so AMC put Mad Men on hold for nearly one year just to finish airing the last four episodes? they did the same with Breaking Bad except it had a few more episodes to finish the Season Finale. Ultimate blue ball maneuver by AMC.
There are seven episodes of Mad Men airing this year, not four. This final split season is almost as many episodes as Breaking Bad aired on the same schedule.

They've only released the titles through episode 11, so that could be why it doesn't list them all. Wikipedia has air dates listed for all 14, though, and AMC announced back during the sixth season that the final would be fourteen episodes split to air seven and seven.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
So, I discovered this show, "Billy and Billie," by accident last night. I was watching the pilot via OnDemand, and I was barely into it, until the last fifteen seconds. At which point, I sat up and was like, "Okay, you have my attention." When I went back and re-watched the episode with that information, it totally changed the dynamic.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
Everyone not watching the new Daredevil series on Netflix is doing life very wrong.
You're right, I am doing having the only computer I have regular access to being a 13 year-old POS wrong. But, as long as that continues to be the case, paying for Netflix is a waste of money, since this piece of garbage can't handle streaming video.

When I can afford to to upgrade my computer, I am indeed looking forward to watching Daredevil. Defenders and Jessica Jones, too.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
You're right, I am doing having the only computer I have regular access to being a 13 year-old POS wrong. But, as long as that continues to be the case, paying for Netflix is a waste of money, since this piece of garbage can't handle streaming video.

When I can afford to to upgrade my computer, I am indeed looking forward to watching Daredevil. Defenders and Jessica Jones, too.
Don't feel too badly. Although my computer is adequate, having satellite internet is not. Limited bandwidth means no Netflix for me. Of course, on the upside, I'm actually able to still make time for the occasional bit of sleep, which would most likely not be possible if I added any more TV viewing to my schedule.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Tonight's Scorpion episode required more than the usual attention. Note to self: Do not try to multi-task while watching said show.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
So, I've watched two season finales this week. One was pretty good, and the other was really good. I can't wait for the Season 4 premier of The Americans.

Oh, and just to make it official, twenty for twenty-two.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
I just found out that the kid who stars on The Flash went to the same high school as my son (well, one of them; CJ switched high schools after the ninth grade).

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Watched the first episode of "The Island" last night. This could be almost as entertaining as "Naked and Afraid"... too bad the biggest source of amusement already had to leave.

Warhawk

The cake is a lie.
Staff member
OK, so I am now caught up on Arrow and Daredevil on Netflix, but I missed the first part of this season's Arrow on the DVR (also the start of Flash), so I'm stuck until the seasons are over and I can catch the first parts on Netflix. Argh. Sure, both have plot holes (and I am sure Flash will, too), but I find them enjoyable/entertaining.

Last edited:
Going to bed now. Just watched "The African Queen" and before that the first episode of "George Gently". Great good fun. Nothing like revisiting good ones of the past. Good night.