Trade Deadline Thread

I don't watch Detroit so know not much about Grant and a google search of 'Is Jerami Grant a good player' provided a classic 'Yes but...' answer. At this stage I think hold on to the pick and trade Holmes. I think Metu and MBIII are reasonable fits next to Sabonis on offence as they tend to score more from catch and shoot, offensive rebounding, and finishing from others creation. Having said that, although improved, MBIII still not that impactful on defence and seems he is likely to be moved.
Lets put it this way. Grant is not a franchise talent. No way. Last year, Detroit played the game of taking someone with some ability and boosting them through role and opportunity to later flip. They did it right at first. Then they let the fools gold of Grant last year trick them into keeping him on. Now, he's kind of falling back to reality. Here's where this lines up into the Kings plans. Grant first got notice, at least real notice with the Nuggets. The Nuggets did the right long term move and went with MPJ over him. Problem was they actually did miss Grant when he was gone. Bigger problem those back issues with MPJ that scared teams away on draft night ended up F'ing the Nuggz. Which is just plain the universe ****ing on them but not totally out of the blue. Coincidentally or not, the Kings just put together a team somewhat similar to that same Denver Nuggets team. Hmmmm.... Grant might be the perfect get for a team not going for 1st rounders any time soon aka the Kings. Bagley/filler/2022 unprotected 1st and maybe even a 2024 protected 1st is one of those lets put it all out there moves. Fox/Barnes/Grant/Sabonis with a little Davion off the bench. Sac hasn't had a core like that since they made the playoffs and is as close to modern Bball as they've come yet.

10-12 pick here we come. Hey, maybe we’ll get lucky and a talent like Tyrese Haliburton will fall to us
Dude, they were always going to pick 10-12, we all know that. haha. Yeah another guard comes to them. Nah, get that pick out of here and go for it. No first rounder is going to take this team anywhere from the bench and we've seen it enough by now, the wing they'll be looking at will be gone anyway.

It better be Grant, however, if they are going all in on high post? Olynyk and Sabonis would be very interesting. I can respect it, but not modern NBA at all.
I just gathered the trade was centered around Marv. It’s possible I read into it incorrectly but I like Olynyk as a back up and he would be an upgrade to Marv for a playoff push.

It better be Grant, however, if they are going all in on high post? Olynyk and Sabonis would be very interesting. I can respect it, but not modern NBA at all.
Disagree. Kelly O is sneakily a super modern big. Flexible at the 4/5, impact metrics have showed him to be a great defender for years now and he's a long-term proven spacer. Not a rim protector though. He's also been a great "team passer" with some playmaking ability. Above 10% Ast every year of his career. Just a great and proven role player that impacts valuable aspects of the game.

He's been hurt this year, but still super impactful in his minutes. I'd be all the way in if he only costs you like Bagley and a 2nd. It's essentially like getting a pretty impactful FA signing.

Disagree. Kelly O is sneakily a super modern big. Flexible at the 4/5, impact metrics have showed him to be a great defender for years now and he's a long-term proven spacer. Not a rim protector though. He's also been a great "team passer" with some playmaking ability. Above 10% Ast every year of his career. Just a great and proven role player that impacts valuable aspects of the game.

He's been hurt this year, but still super impactful in his minutes. I'd be all the way in if he only costs you like Bagley and a 2nd. It's essentially like getting a pretty impactful FA signing.
Not modern on defense in the least. Modern bball is first and foremost about being able to switch pnr.

To be fair, modern defense pretty much goes out the window whenever you choose to build your team around a big who isn’t Giannis or KD at this point.
But then again it makes it even more imperative in some ways. Like Gordon in Denver. Not that Sabonis is as poor defensively as Jokic but holy cow Olynyk and Sabonis would be as incapable as they come on switch scheme.

So total speculation here, but one way to read these reports that the Pistons have agreed to a Bagley trade, and that the trade will be finalized and announced by the deadline tomorrow (instead of right now) is that Detroit has agreed to take Bagley, but is debating between two Bagley deals.

It is possible that Detroit and Sacramento have tentatively agreed to a small Bagley deal, for some combination of Josh Jackson, Frank Jackson, Diallo, Lyles, etc…, BUT that Sacramento also has an offer on the table for Grant (perhaps Bagley, a first round pick, and matching salaries). It is then possible that Detroit is telling Sacramento, “yeah, we will take Bagley, but we want to see if we get a better Grant deal before we decide which Bagley package we will take.” I would imagine (if any of this is true) that Monte has told Detroit that you need to make a decision by x time tomorrow so that we can pivot to plan B.

That would also explain why we saw no movement on Holmes today. What you do with Holmes would depend on if you get Grant. If you get Grant and keep Barnes, you probably don’t trade Holmes for PJ- you either trade him for backcourt help or keep him as the backup big. If you don’t get Grant, you take the scraps you get for Bagley and then focus on trading Holmes for a wing (like PJ).

Maybe I am completely off base. Just a way to synthesize the reports that we supposedly have a Bagley deal, it won’t be finalized until tomorrow, and we heard nothing about Holmes today despite wanting to move him and having suitors.