Toney Douglas?

As the search for Tyreke’s running mate continues, I would like to turn our attention towards a player we had on our roster last year. The man who goes by the name of Toney Douglas. When I look for a player to matchup with Evans, I look for these traits:

1. Shooting
  2. Defense
  3. Ballhandling & Passing
  4. Size & Athleticism
  5. Role Players Mentality

Shooting
Douglas is a good 3pt shooter. He is a career 35.9% three point shooter, and if you take away his one shortened season when he shot 23.1% from three, he would be sitting at a 37.8% career average. This year he shot 38% from beyond the arc and 38.9% while he was in Sacramento. He tends to shoot better as the season goes on which is what you like to see when you’re going into the playoffs (He averages 39.4% from three after the all-star break for his career).

Douglas has a decent midrange game to go along with an above average 3pt shot. I’ve noticed that he’s not afraid to take it if the defense gives it to him by under-cutting a screen. These are his shooting stats by floor positioning while in Sacramento:

At the rim: 61.5%
3-9 feet: 13.3%
10-15 feet: 40%
16-23 feet: 36%

And these are his career percentages by floor positioning:

At the rim: 58.2%%
3-9 feet: 38.1 %
10-15 feet: 39.1%
16-23 feet: 32.5%

His shooting between 3-23 feet is about average considering the league average for PGs sits around 38%-43%. Again, he’s not amazing from midrange, but his jumper still demands respect from this range.

Douglas is also a terrific free throw shooter. His career average is 83.5% which is above average considering the league average for PGs is a tad above 80%. Douglas actually shot very well from the stripe last year (90.5%). Even though he doesn’t get to the line often, it is always nice to have a guy who is automatic for technical foul and 3-in-the-key shots.

Defense
Defense is where Douglas makes his money. He is a tremendous defender. His energy, dedication, and knowledge on that side of the ball are what allow him to be so effective. He’s also great at taking the ball away from his opponent. He averaged 1 steal in only 18 minutes of play last year (2.17 steals in 40 minutes of play). He averages .9 steals in 20 minutes of play over his entire career (1.83 steals in 40 minutes of play). Even though he is very good at taking the ball away from his matchup, he forces many turnovers that you don’t see in the boxscore. His energy, defensive awareness, stealing ability, and his ability to stay in front of his man make him an outstanding defender at PG.

Ballhandling & Passing
Douglas is a solid ballhandler. He won’t stand out to you like Evans does, but he doesn’t mishandle the ball when bringing the ball up, being pressured, or dribbling through traffic (Yeah, I’m looking at you Jimmer). Douglas has a career turnover rate very on par with the PG league average (11.4%) which goes to show that he tends to make good decisions with the ball in his hands. He won’t amaze you with any spectacular passes, but he will make the smart pass that puts his teammates in a good position to score. Although his career assist to turnover ratio is a bit below average sitting at 2.18 (league average among PGs is 2.4), we don’t need him to be running the entire offense. As an off ball guard who will help run the offense here and there, an assist to turnover ratio of above 2 is more than adequate. Again, he’s not going to wow you with his passing and dribbling, but if you watch him, you’ll notice that he knows his limitations and tends to make good decisions with the ball.

Size & Athleticism
Douglas has very good size for a PG. He is a solid 6’2” in shoes which allows him to matchup with just about any PG in terms of height. He weighs 185lbs, but he is a very strong 185lbs. He recorded 15 reps on the bench press during the combine which shows just how strong his upper body really is (Evans recorded 7 reps to put it in perspective). He also has good length (6’6” wingspan) which he uses very well on the defensive side to bother his matchup.

He is also a very athletic guard with great speed and agility which allows him to stay in front of his man on the defense end and create separation on the offensive end. He recorded a time of 10.63 in the agility test which would have ranked him 6[SUP]th[/SUP] in this year’s draft (behind Blue, Caldwell-Pope, Leslie, Siva, & Snell). His 3/4 court sprint was 3.03 seconds which would have him ranked 1[SUP]st[/SUP] in this year’s draft. Make no mistake his speed and quickness are well above average.

Role Players Mentality
This might be one of the most important attributes. We don’t need a player who thinks his success will determine the team’s success. We need a guy who is willing to sacrifice his shots and touches for the sake of the team. From his time in Sacramento, I got the impression that he was willing to be that guy. I never got the feeling that he was in hero mode or looking for his own shot when he came down the floor. In fact, I noticed he would bring the ball up as fast as he could and either hand it off to Evans immediately or look to feed Cousins in the post. It warmed my heart to see that. Again, we need a player who is willing to defer to our superior players, and I think Douglas fits the bill.

I’m not sure how much we could get Douglas for if we wished to resign him. My guess would be no more than the contract Chalmers got (4 mil per year). I’m hoping we could get him for 2-3 mil per year. I think that would be a very good value for us.

So what do you guys say? Is he the PG we need next to Evans and Cousins?

I was not a fan of Toney Douglas in New York or Houston. He showed me something in Sacramento last season. I would still prefer to run Tyreke at point next to a shooting 2, and I am not convinced that Toney can run an offense, but his defense was better than I had hoped.

I like Tony Douglas as a player but not as a point guard that runs the offense. Im set on seeing if we can sign calderon or draft burke to fill that need.

Believe me guys. I don't want Douglas being the main guy who runs the offense either. I want that to be Evans, Cousins, or even Salmons at times (even though it pains me to mention Salmons). We had our most success last year when Brooks was paired with Evans in the backcourt. Why? Not because Brooks was good at running an offense, but because he deferred to Evans.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
I would rather we ran Douglas with Evans than drafting a guard, all of whom have serious holes in their games. Why draft what we already have when we have other positions of need. Toney doesn't have to be a spectacular distributor when he is paired with Tyreke. Remember Bibby? He wasn't a great PG but contributed in other ways. Same with Douglas. If he can shut down the guy he is guarding, he is contributing. This fixation on getting a PG is perplexing because we have already proven that you don't need one to win.

Notice i mentioned signing calderon first. I dont want us to draft a point guard either. Should we just work with what we have and see if it works with REAL coaches? Again, i like douglas but how deep is he buried on the bench if hes not going to be the starter? Maybe im the only one bit i noticed him having problems handling the ball the defense pressured him.

I like Tony Douglas as the PG backup behind Reke. Come in when Reke slides to the 2 and stays in through Reke's breather till he comes back to the 1.

I would also package many of the parts we already have at the 1 and 2(and maybe our pick) for a SG sized combo guard(alright ball handler) that can shoot ok from outside but is a good defender to play in that 3 man rotation. hopefully freeing up enough cap to go after a good defensive SF who can shoot average(And likely send Salmons his walking papers also for cap). I would also look at Terrance Williams again either as that ball handing SG or backup SF/SG(UFA from boston).

Then I would also sit down and talk to Hassan Whiteside.... See if he has learned what a huge chance he lost and if he has his head on straight with good coaching. Whiteside has the potential to be a perfect PF next to Cousins he already has the ability to block(though it seemed as he bulked up it affected his speed and timing into the air) he has a sweet 14 foot bank that is unlikely to get blocked ever combine that with his mobility and he is a gym rat. You could also likely get him from min money and run him out for a couple years behind JT and PP. I liked what Cole brought but he will always lack the mobility to play at the same time as Cousins(bang bang backup C maybe).

Max Cousins on the last day you can and call it an offseason. Then it just comes down to coaching. We have had more talent then our record shows and I liked the way Tony and Terrance played with our guys and they are both good defenders. Throw in someone like Iggy and you are well on your way to protecting cousins from picking up junk fouls on penetration.

i would like to see TDG being Kings' starting guard, dont get me wrong

he can't run the offense, he dont need to as well (reke & DMC can do it)

what he needs to do is defense, bring up the ball, three point shot

and he is cheap.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
As the search for Tyreke’s running mate continues, I would like to turn our attention towards a player we had on our roster last year. The man who goes by the name of Toney Douglas. When I look for a player to matchup with Evans, I look for these traits:

1. Shooting
  2. Defense
  4. Size & Athleticism

Shooting
Douglas is a good 3pt shooter. He is a career 35.9% three point shooter, and if you take away his one shortened season when he shot 23.1% from three, he would be sitting at a 37.8% career average. This year he shot 38% from beyond the arc and 38.9% while he was in Sacramento. He tends to shoot better as the season goes on which is what you like to see when you’re going into the playoffs (He averages 39.4% from three after the all-star break for his career).

Douglas has a decent midrange game to go along with an above average 3pt shot. I’ve noticed that he’s not afraid to take it if the defense gives it to him by under-cutting a screen. These are his shooting stats by floor positioning while in Sacramento:

His shooting between 3-23 feet is about average considering the league average for PGs sits around 38%-43%. Again, he’s not amazing from midrange, but his jumper still demands respect from this range.

Douglas is also a terrific free throw shooter. His career average is 83.5% which is above average considering the league average for PGs is a tad above 80%. Douglas actually shot very well from the stripe last year (90.5%). Even though he doesn’t get to the line often, it is always nice to have a guy who is automatic for technical foul and 3-in-the-key shots.

Defense
Defense is where Douglas makes his money. He is a tremendous defender. His energy, dedication, and knowledge on that side of the ball are what allow him to be so effective. He’s also great at taking the ball away from his opponent. He averaged 1 steal in only 18 minutes of play last year (2.17 steals in 40 minutes of play). He averages .9 steals in 20 minutes of play over his entire career (1.83 steals in 40 minutes of play). Even though he is very good at taking the ball away from his matchup, he forces many turnovers that you don’t see in the boxscore. His energy, defensive awareness, stealing ability, and his ability to stay in front of his man make him an outstanding defender at PG.

Ballhandling & Passing
Douglas is a solid ballhandler. He won’t stand out to you like Evans does, but he doesn’t mishandle the ball when bringing the ball up, being pressured, or dribbling through traffic (Yeah, I’m looking at you Jimmer). Douglas has a career turnover rate very on par with the PG league average (11.4%) which goes to show that he tends to make good decisions with the ball in his hands. He won’t amaze you with any spectacular passes, but he will make the smart pass that puts his teammates in a good position to score. Although his career assist to turnover ratio is a bit below average sitting at 2.18 (league average among PGs is 2.4), we don’t need him to be running the entire offense. As an off ball guard who will help run the offense here and there, an assist to turnover ratio of above 2 is more than adequate. Again, he’s not going to wow you with his passing and dribbling, but if you watch him, you’ll notice that he knows his limitations and tends to make good decisions with the ball.

Size & Athleticism
Douglas has very good size for a PG. He is a solid 6’2” in shoes which allows him to matchup with just about any PG in terms of height. He weighs 185lbs, but he is a very strong 185lbs. He recorded 15 reps on the bench press during the combine which shows just how strong his upper body really is (Evans recorded 7 reps to put it in perspective). He also has good length (6’6” wingspan) which he uses very well on the defensive side to bother his matchup.

He is also a very athletic guard with great speed and agility which allows him to stay in front of his man on the defense end and create separation on the offensive end. He recorded a time of 10.63 in the agility test which would have ranked him 6[SUP]th[/SUP] in this year’s draft (behind Blue, Caldwell-Pope, Leslie, Siva, & Snell). His 3/4 court sprint was 3.03 seconds which would have him ranked 1[SUP]st[/SUP] in this year’s draft. Make no mistake his speed and quickness are well above average.

Role Players Mentality
This might be one of the most important attributes. We don’t need a player who thinks his success will determine the team’s success. We need a guy who is willing to sacrifice his shots and touches for the sake of the team. From his time in Sacramento, I got the impression that he was willing to be that guy. I never got the feeling that he was in hero mode or looking for his own shot when he came down the floor. In fact, I noticed he would bring the ball up as fast as he could and either hand it off to Evans immediately or look to feed Cousins in the post. It warmed my heart to see that. Again, we need a player who is willing to defer to our superior players, and I think Douglas fits the bill.

I’m not sure how much we could get Douglas for if we wished to resign him. My guess would be no more than the contract Chalmers got (4 mil per year). I’m hoping we could get him for 2-3 mil per year. I think that would be a very good value for us.

Very nice write-up.

You make a lot of good points, and it's certainly something to think about for the next season.

However, i'm intruiged by the prospect of McLemore falling to us and having Reke run point....

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat

1. Shooting
  2. Defense
  4. Size & Athleticism

Shooting

Defense

Ballhandling & Passing

Size & Athleticism

Role Players Mentality

I'm not against the idea at all. I do of course have real questions whether a new regime is going to come in and have the clear vision to see those possibilities and take that gamble heading into next training camp. Keep him from seeing himself as a scorer (and being away from D'Antoni helps) and he has a lot of the traits you are looking for. Guys like Chalmers and Fisher are not great individual players who are going to stand out to you on just ay team. They are or were however perfect fits making their teams stronger both by what they are and aren't.

CruzDude

Senior Member sharing a brew with bajaden
Toney may be the best example of a role player the Kings have. He held his own, his defense amongst the PG was the best and he is a good ball handler. But I cannot see how Tyreke would ever be a starting PG. He is a slasher, driver and defender. His jump shot is very poor, his 3 pt shot even less. Watching every game last year, nearly every team backs off of Tyreke at the perimeter as his jump shot just does not warrant (yet) a tight defense. But his driving skills have most teams stuffing the paint when Tyreke has the ball. Part of that is due to lack of reliable perimeter shooters on the Kings, the "spread the floor" type of shooters.

Kings need a true Point Guard who sees his own players on the floor, who sees the defense and who can involve other players and keep the ball moving for the team to get a better shot. I love Tyreke's game but his nickname is still "The Black Hole" as what ever goes in there doesn't come out. And his pounding and pounding and pounding the dribble looking for something that is not there.

A true PG keeps traffic flowing, keeps players moving and keeps the ball moving to open a better shot. Unfortunately those are not traits of Tyreke. As a 2-guard with a real PG, Tyreke makes a dynamite combo.

I like Douglass as a role player, he is not a starter though.
Nope, but you need players like him on your bench. I love his defense, work ethic, and he hit a couple of big shots last year. Those things rub off on other players. Hopefully, the Kings can get him on a cap friendly contract.

I'm not a fan of Toney in New York nor in Houston.
But I loved the guy when he played next to Reke.

He looked like a change man here and stopped looking for his shot.
His spot up 3 was steady and he kept all opponent in check.

If Malone really preaches defense, I won't be mad if Toney starts with Reke when the season starts.
If he keeps his steady aim, from the perimeter, Toney will be a keeper for sure.
And that could mean we better ship Jimmer soon. Hope Utah still love the guy over there. :D

Toney may be the best example of a role player the Kings have. He held his own, his defense amongst the PG was the best and he is a good ball handler. But I cannot see how Tyreke would ever be a starting PG. He is a slasher, driver and defender. His jump shot is very poor, his 3 pt shot even less. Watching every game last year, nearly every team backs off of Tyreke at the perimeter as his jump shot just does not warrant (yet) a tight defense. But his driving skills have most teams stuffing the paint when Tyreke has the ball. Part of that is due to lack of reliable perimeter shooters on the Kings, the "spread the floor" type of shooters.

Kings need a true Point Guard who sees his own players on the floor, who sees the defense and who can involve other players and keep the ball moving for the team to get a better shot. I love Tyreke's game but his nickname is still "The Black Hole" as what ever goes in there doesn't come out. And his pounding and pounding and pounding the dribble looking for something that is not there.

A true PG keeps traffic flowing, keeps players moving and keeps the ball moving to open a better shot. Unfortunately those are not traits of Tyreke. As a 2-guard with a real PG, Tyreke makes a dynamite combo.

Of course the stats don't really back up that usual argument nor does the successful make up of most of the good teams in the league but at least we're getting good at misusing it.

You make a lot of good points, and it's certainly something to think about for the next season.

However, i'm intruiged by the prospect of McLemore falling to us and having Reke run point....
I would be for that as well. If we find a worthy starting SG who can handle, pass, shoot, and defend, I'm all for moving Evans back to PG. Realistically, what are the chances that McLemore or Oladipo fall to us in this draft? I'm starting at close to 0%.

I'm not against the idea at all. I do of course have real questions whether a new regime is going to come in and have the clear vision to see those possibilities and take that gamble heading into next training camp. Keep him from seeing himself as a scorer (and being away from D'Antoni helps) and he has a lot of the traits you are looking for. Guys like Chalmers and Fisher are not great individual players who are going to stand out to you on just ay team. They are or were however perfect fits making their teams stronger both by what they are and aren't.
Agreed. We're on the same page.

I like Douglass as a role player, he is not a starter though.
Nope, but you need players like him on your bench. I love his defense, work ethic, and he hit a couple of big shots last year. Those things rub off on other players. Hopefully, the Kings can get him on a cap friendly contract.
As much as I would like to just take your word that Douglas is not a starter can you provide any reasoning? Just saying "he is not a starter" is not a compelling enough reason for me and most likely everyone else on this board. Just because he is a role players doesn't mean he isn't a starter. Role players are very valuable in the starting lineup. Look at the Spurs for instance. They have Green, Leonard, and Splitter in the starting lineup. I wouldn't call any of those player go-to players or stars. They simply do their job and stay out of the way.

Douglas is not a starter, but he proved last year he can be a valuable bench asset. His place is as a 4th guard who can come in and bring D, toughness, and decent 3pt shooting to a squad. Said this many times, but I think the Trob trade brought us 3 valuable bench assets who all can play a role in our success

Glenn

Hall of Famer
Douglas is not a starter, but he proved last year he can be a valuable bench asset. His place is as a 4th guard who can come in and bring D, toughness, and decent 3pt shooting to a squad. Said this many times, but I think the Trob trade brought us 3 valuable bench assets who all can play a role in our success
Why are we always at odds Sigh! Why aren't Douglas' skills good enough to be a starter with Tyreke? He doesn't have to be a monster on offense and he would give great defense. He needs to be a able to facilitate a little as Tyreke and Cuz will facilitate a little also.

Decent 3pt shooter, decent ball handler, decent rebounder, good ft shooter, good defender, steady improvement from yr 1 to yr 3... I'll be interested to see what our plans are for Douglas.

rainmaker

Hall of Famer
Often times the difference between starter and bench player when looking at role players is style, system and the coach and the role he puts you in. It's rarely about talent. Is Douglas a starter based on talent? No, neither was Fisher, neither are Chalmers, Hinrich(at this stage), Prigioni, Haslem, Mike Miller, Stevenson, Tony Allen, Battier, among numerous others. They're not starters on playoff teams because they're some of the most talented at their positions.

It's can they fill the role in the system asked of them. Can Douglas be a plus on the defensive end, hit an open jumper and in general stay out of the way? Yes, based on what he showed with us. If Mem needed scoring and a 3pt threat at the SG, Allen is immediately expendable. If Mia needed scoring and penetration at PG, Chalmers is on the next plane out. Etc, etc.

Decent 3pt shooter, decent ball handler, decent rebounder, good ft shooter, good defender, steady improvement from yr 1 to yr 3... I'll be interested to see what our plans are for Douglas.
Odd question, just thinking out loud. Where do you all think Toney D would be drafted if he were in college now with the skills he has at present? Top 10? First round, even? I'm just more curious than anything on this one, and trying to see how a guy like Burke could compliment a guy like Toney D, who could buy us time in a similar role.

I can honestly see Douglas starting for us opening night. He sets the tone for us on defense and is a threat to score he has my vote that's for sure.

I can honestly see Douglas starting for us opening night. He sets the tone for us on defense and is a threat to score he has my vote that's for sure.
I agree, but I would only welcome that scenario if it means we made notable upgrades at the 3 and 4. I really like Douglas, and see him as being selfless and balanced as a primary ballhandler- two elements that IMO are essential in any good PG. If we added a sharpshooting 3 with adequate to good D as well as a shot-blocking 4 that can also score from down low, I think this starting lineup with Douglas could be very interesting.

I agree, but I would only welcome that scenario if it means we made notable upgrades at the 3 and 4. I really like Douglas, and see him as being selfless and balanced as a primary ballhandler- two elements that IMO are essential in any good PG. If we added a sharpshooting 3 with adequate to good D as well as a shot-blocking 4 that can also score from down low, I think this starting lineup with Douglas could be very interesting.
Yes it goes without saying JT and any so called sf on our current roster can't continue to be starters for things to turn around.