Thought for those of us in other NBA cities

pdxKingsFan

Hall of Famer
I've been thinking about things that those of us who are dedicated to seeing the Kings stay in Sacramento but aren't currently residents can do. For those of us living in other NBA cities one thing we can do is write our local ownership groups begging them to vote against this deal as one that sets a terrible precedent for numerous reasons that could be bad for the long term future of the NBA. Odds are that the Maloofs have their minds made up but other owners may actually have reservations about the perceptions such a move could create around the league, especially with a lockout looming.

Some thoughts on areas to target:
Note an understanding of the issue at hand - ARCO/PBP is a dump - but for the first time in memory the City itself seems determined to make an arena happen. Suggest that any vote approval for the move would be pending the results of the feasibility study and that if Sacramento votes to move forward with a publicly financed arena any relocation plans should be scuttled.

Mention the rich history of the fans in Sacramento supporting even lousy teams and all the recent outcry from leaders in the business and civic community and contrast that to the negative press in SoCal media suggesting the team will be unwelcome.

Kings' alleged profitability - The Kings have cut payroll and the Maloofs have indicated to several sources that they will turn a small profit this year even with lackluster attendance. If that is true then there is no reason to move before the arena deal gets done. Obviously a team bleeding money is a different story. On the other hand if this move is more about the Maloofs personal finances that sends another horrible message to fans (probably not wise to bring that up if your local team is owned by one of the less affluent owners).

If you're in a big market: stress that 3 teams moving to one area in unprecedented and that means that no market is safe from internal competition. What should teams in struggling small markets do? Move to a corporate rich city like Chicago, Dallas or NY of course! This is a dangerous precedent that should not be allowed.

In smaller markets - A few possible strategies to go with:
For teams that don't sell out every night suggest that you attend every Kings game at their arena but won't be doing so if the Kings move to Anaheim.

Suggest that you would be willing to change allegiances to their team but the thought of eventually having your small market abandoned is too much to bear so you will likely give up the NBA entirely.

Would definitely like to hear other suggestions for what other points you might include in such a letter.

I think that's a great idea. Rather than cry in our beer and give up, the game's not over yet. There really is a lot of moving parts here.
The day after Monday's game I watched a little that I recorded. After Omri's slam at the end of the game. the crowd went wild. The camera had a split second shot of Joe's reaction. He turned away with a look I would describe as "my god this is tough to be here"
Anyway I think emotionally he's struggling with his decisions and maybe that's the reason he gave KJ the impression that, there's nothing Sac can do at this point. To make it easier on them to leave. I say we keep up the support and go to games and be as loud as possible. It just makes it easier on us to give up. On Wednesday's game the Maloof's were much more relaxed with an half full arena. Keep the pressure on Kings fans, I never walk out til the game is over

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
This is a great idea . Write effectively. Good luck.

Even putting in the idea that the owners might acknowledge the current Sacramento effort and possible lockout, and ask the Kings to wait just one more year might maybe barely possibly give us that small window to save our team.

Last edited:

Gary

All-Star
I will write to every one of them

I am going to try to play the "pathetic town" card... We really don't have anything EXCEPT the Kings. I will try to throw in Seattle, and how they have two major colleges, and 2 other pro teams up there to watch. I will also try to advise them of the business here and give them a numbers study on how many people have been attending games in the last 10 years..

Of course I cannot write this myself so I will have my buddy do it. He's much better at it lol.

Also might bring up about our market being a top 20 without a pro franchise, and how we have been trying for years to get another pro team here. How our AAA team has succeeded, and how the Kings will succeed if they stay here..

Why would people from other cities do this? It clearly doesn't affect them as it does for people in Sac or close by.

Maybe we grew up in this (sac) area, and figure since we can't write to the council, we can be active instead of helplessly standing by. You have no idea how this affects us. Just because we're no longer there, doesn't mean we don't care. When I go home to visit family, I go to a Kings game. Having the owners force the Maloof's hand might be a way to keep the Kings in Sacramento.

This attempt is good, except for one big problem; it doesn't address the ARENA or the NEED for a new ARENA which is the main reason for the Kings (possible) relocation. If the Kings stay, what will they play in? What type of arena would be funded? If I were another owner, I'd be asking those questions, and your reponses would dictate my vote.

pdx hit that part in his first paragraph. Noting the arena issue is important, especially under the guise that the city IS working to get it done, despite years of chowderheadedness. Of course, if the ICON group comes back with a lemon, I'll help the Maloofs pack.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer

Maybe we grew up in this (sac) area, and figure since we can't write to the council, we can be active instead of helplessly standing by. You have no idea how this affects us. Just because we're no longer there, doesn't mean we don't care. When I go home to visit family, I go to a Kings game. Having the owners force the Maloof's hand might be a way to keep the Kings in Sacramento.
I like that pic, it's pretty sweet. Besides that, I don't know how it affects you guys and that's why I can't be as apologetic about it as others. It's unfortunate it's come down to this and I am sorry to hear that you and many won't have their Kings anymore but when you have incompetant owners such as the Kings do, well you never know what they might pull next.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
This attempt is good, except for one big problem; it doesn't address the ARENA or the NEED for a new ARENA which is the main reason for the Kings (possible) relocation. If the Kings stay, what will they play in? What type of arena would be funded? If I were another owner, I'd be asking those questions, and your reponses would dictate my vote.
The arena issue is going to be won or lost in Sacramento by Sacramento fans. For the rest of us outside that zoen though this is a good thought -- there may be a secoden battle that needs to be won even if a strong arena proposal suddenly comes forward. And that's finding some way, anyway, from preventing the Maloofs from jumping on Anaheim's offer here in a month. I would prefre teh Maloofs themselves change course, but if they won't, and there's any remote chance we could somehow force them to change it, if even for a single year, then it could be huge for Sacramento. Because in a year that arena proposal could go from jsut an idea to fully fleshed out wiht all the investors neede, and then the enxt time we write the other owners its to say hey, Sacramento has done everythig the NBA was asked, how can you let the team abandon them now? What message does that send? What hope does the little guy have then?

But we have to find some way of getting it to that point first.

Well, with the news today that Iconn/Taylor are going to wait for the Maloofs decision before spending time and money on an arena plan ... the ONLY thing anyone can do is convince the Maloofs to stay or convince the NBA that Anaheim isnt a good idea. Getting an Arena is secondary at this point because no one will be working toward it till the Maloofs decide what they are doing.

Its all on the Maloofs and the NBA right now. With no arena plan moving forward until they tell us what they are doing, every effort from the fans should be directed at them.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
Well, with the news today that Iconn/Taylor are going to wait for the Maloofs decision before spending time and money on an arena plan ... the ONLY thing anyone can do is convince the Maloofs to stay or convince the NBA that Anaheim isnt a good idea. Getting an Arena is secondary at this point because no one will be working toward it till the Maloofs decide what they are doing.

Its all on the Maloofs and the NBA right now. With no arena plan moving forward until they tell us what they are doing, every effort from the fans should be directed at them.
No it's not all on the NBA and the Maloofs. The ICON/Taylor people said they wouldn't do an estimate given two scenarios; if the Kings stay or if they leave. They said they would not do it pro bono. The key words are "pro bono" or "free." If the city paid ICON/Taylor to do a study that covered both eventualities, the study could proceed. So to me, it's on the city.

Isn't it a bit outrageous that the city expects this complicated study to be done yet pay NOTHING? If you have a predetermined villain, you can make the facts fit your personal view. I choose to see the city as the villain for being unwilling to pay for a study that undoubtedly would benefit the city. KJ is a clever politician who is looking out for his own popularity. He has turned us against the Maloofs and the Maloofs cannot defend themselves as they said they would not comment on negotiations. KJ knows they won't defend themselves because the Maloofs are people of their word and will live up to their vow of silence.

Has anyone wondered why ICON/Taylor would be willing to do a study free? Why did it take such a long time to object to what the city wants?

Answer: Because they would build the arena and make an awful lot of money. I think they see the Maloofs leaving or at least a high chance of it; I think they see the city building an arena without an NBA team as an utter impossibility; I think they are looking for a way out (didn't they say it would cost a million or so?) yet put the blame on some one else. I hate to think that a politician would lie but does anyone believe KJ when he says he will try to build an arena? Anyone? Anyone? (In a Ben Stein Ferris Buhler's teacher's voice)

Here's how to write a note to Mayor Kevin Johnson. INFLUENCE THE MAYOR TO DO WHAT IS RIGHT! I think that citizens should insist that the study/studies be paid for so they can proceed and aren't we all citizens when it comes to this issue?

Last edited:
Obviously if the city is serious they step up right away and pay the cost of the study. I'm sure its cost would be built back into the proposal if it moved forward, now that there is more uncertainty the city will have to pay more up front. That's just the cost of being so late to the party here. But it will also show a level of commitment the city hasn't shown before. Considering the alternative is losing the team its a no brainer, especially since it will help the PR battle.

Obviously if the city is serious they step up right away and pay the cost of the study. I'm sure its cost would be built back into the proposal if it moved forward, now that there is more uncertainty the city will have to pay more up front. That's just the cost of being so late to the party here. But it will also show a level of commitment the city hasn't shown before. Considering the alternative is losing the team its a no brainer, especially since it will help the PR battle.
If they don't pay for it then it will be a sure sign that the "we'' build an arena even if they leave" stuff is just empty posturing.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
Here is my note to the Mayor. Feel free to copy it.

If ICON/Taylor is going to back out of doing a study that is so important to the city because it would cost them too much to do two studies to cover the possibilities that the Kings will leave or stay, why not pay them for the study that covers building an arena if the Kings leave? You have promised to continue the effort to build an arena even if the Kings leave. ICON/Taylor stands to make a lot of money if the city should chose them to build the arena. They should be willing to honor their committment to one study if the other is paid for. If the city doesn't help, it is the city's fault if a study is not performed.​

We are all citizens when it comes to the Kings.

I disagree. There's another thread where local (Sacto) business owners are saying they're going to get an arena built with or without the Kings; this right here is a perfect opportunity for those business leaders to put their money where their mouth is. At this stage, the Maloofs are perfectly justified in doing what's right for them.

Does Sacramento want a new arena or not? That's the basic question that only Sacramento citizens can answer, and that question should ideally be independent of whether you have good or ill feelings towards the Kings or not.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
I'll bump this up a little for the people who actually want to do something. It asks what city you are from. I'm from Sacramento; how about you?

I disagree. There's another thread where local (Sacto) business owners are saying they're going to get an arena built with or without the Kings; this right here is a perfect opportunity for those business leaders to put their money where their mouth is. At this stage, the Maloofs are perfectly justified in doing what's right for them.

Does Sacramento want a new arena or not? That's the basic question that only Sacramento citizens can answer, and that question should ideally be independent of whether you have good or ill feelings towards the Kings or not.
Absolutely. There has been a fair amount of waffling from the city's side now.
Faint heart never won fair maiden! If you're gonna die, die with your boots on!

...see what I did there?