Thinking of Moving Back home to Sac - Tell me why I should, and shouldn't

I think I have mostly decided that I will be moving. But still, hearing everyone's pros and cons is helpful.

I will also be looking for a temporary room/house share type situation until I find a more permanent apartment.
I'm buying a house soon, so will have a couple of month lease going to waste at the place I'm at now. Is a luxury apartment in a bad area. But if you were looking to get into a place and only being committed for 2-3 months send me a pm.

I'd negotiate, may not need to pay the full costs, think it is like 1,300-1,400 here but I'd settle for less.

As I think the supermodels may have eliminated the risk of this chasing away The Hammer, but let me just say that Sacto's weather bores the hell out of me. :p Four seasons my ass. Four seasons involves this white powdery stuff, and I hear you guys don't even do water falling from the sky anymore. :)

Still searching for my ideal paradise with 3 months of spring, 3 months of winter (the real stuff), 5 months of fall, and 1 month of summer.
I think you are looking for Montana.

When I hear Sacramento, I think the region, not the city itself. Right now I have zero reason to go to the actual city, except at Xmas we take the kids to Old Sacramento. I have heard there is a better bar scene downtown, I am past that stage of my life. Although I do enjoy the breweries that are the general region.

The foothills and outside areas are fantastic for raising a family. Great school, usually great weather, most great people. I have lived in or around this area most of my life. If I were single I don't think this is an area I would ever look at moving. It could be my scope, but mostly what I see is small single families running around with minivans and little stick figure stickers.

As many people have said, this area is great because it's close to many activities. We spend a lot of time in Tahoe. If I need to go to the Bay Area for work or a baseball game it's no big deal . Napa is an hour if you like wine tasting. Beach is twoish hours.

I personally could not imagine living anywhere else that gives you the diversity of activities that you have around here.

When I hear Sacramento, I think the region, not the city itself. Right now I have zero reason to go to the actual city, except at Xmas we take the kids to Old Sacramento. I have heard there is a better bar scene downtown, I am past that stage of my life. Although I do enjoy the breweries that are the general region.

The foothills and outside areas are fantastic for raising a family. Great school, usually great weather, most great people. I have lived in or around this area most of my life. If I were single I don't think this is an area I would ever look at moving. It could be my scope, but mostly what I see is small single families running around with minivans and little stick figure stickers.

As many people have said, this area is great because it's close to many activities. We spend a lot of time in Tahoe. If I need to go to the Bay Area for work or a baseball game it's no big deal . Napa is an hour if you like wine tasting. Beach is twoish hours.

I personally could not imagine living anywhere else that gives you the diversity of activities that you have around here.
Well said. Though I think the city proper is a bit better for singles nowadays. Anything would be better than the 30K population college town I'm at now.

Still searching for my ideal paradise with 3 months of spring, 3 months of winter (the real stuff), 5 months of fall, and 1 month of summer.
So New Orleans, then.

Huh?

Oh, I'm sorry. I thought you said three months of fall, two months of winter, one month of the most gloriously damn beautiful spring that exists anywhere, and six months of why-am-I-melting-and-holy-$@&*-what-is-that-giant-thing-flying-at-me.

Yikes... Sac has changed a LOT in 20 years.

I want out. I was thinking of actually moving to the high desert in NV near Elko or Ely, or to North Dakota. I want the rocky mountain desert setting, but I also want it to get cold in winter, but I love snowy cold winters.

Warhawk

Give blood and save a life!
Staff member
As I think the supermodels may have eliminated the risk of this chasing away The Hammer, but let me just say that Sacto's weather bores the hell out of me. :p Four seasons my ass. Four seasons involves this white powdery stuff, and I hear you guys don't even do water falling from the sky anymore. :)

You couldn't pay me to live someplace where it snowed significantly. I like it here in the Sacramento area where if I want snow, (most years) I can drive up into the Sierras and find it. I don't want to have to deal with it on a daily basis.

I don't live in Sacramento proper, I live in the south Sacramento County area, near Galt. While the area (Sacramento County area) may be a bit "boring" to some, I like it. I don't think of living "here" so much as where my house is and the 5 miles immediately around it, but what I can do and where I can go for day/weekend trips as well. Ocean is 75 miles left. Mountains and snow and Lake Tahoe 75 miles right. Yosemite is 150 miles southeast. My wife loves the ocean, so we can take day trips to Half Moon Bay, or Santa Cruz, or Monterey/Carmel, or Bodega Bay, or numerous other beach locations. San Francisco is an obvious close attraction, but again I don't want to live there. Calaveras Big Trees, numerous caverns to explore, the Gold Country (Jackson, Ione, Sutter Creek, Sonora, Angel's Camp, Placerville, etc.), are all so close. There are camping locations all over - used to go a lot as a kid in the Boy Scouts. Still go occasionally, but pretty rare now. My wife prefers a regular bed to a tent and air mattress. ;)

You can do just about anything outdoors most of the year, and in drought years, the whole year! Kids (and adults) have outdoor sports most of the year without worrying about tornados or snow. Earthquakes are mostly confined to the south part of the state and the coast, with some in the Sierras as well, so no significant hazard of that in the Sacramento area. You have to have terrain for mudslides, so no worries there. Also, typically no real "fire" dangers in the Sacramento area. Most terrain is pretty flat and any fires are extinguished pretty quickly. Up in the mountains though....

I would just say to make sure and check that you don't live behind a levee or in a floodplain for when we do get the El Nino storms. Better safe than submerged.

Summers are hot, but in general it is indeed a dry heat and that makes all the difference. I spent a summer in Harrisburg, PA, and couldn't get out of the humidity fast enough. I don't get you East Coast/Midwest types that choose to live in that junk. ;) In winter there will be frost on the ground, but rarely do temps dip below freezing for long. We maybe get one week of lows in the upper 20's - low 30's a year. Not enough rain for my taste (just about any year, not just the droughts), but I can deal with that. It used to get a lot more foggy in the winter time but not so much the past decade or so. The Delta breezes kick in most summer nights and make the evenings and night time pleasant.

Just out of curiosity, what part of Sacramento are you considering moving to?
Well, it's wide open at this point. Midtown would be cool. But I'm not opposed to a quiet pad in Land Park, or some other cool hood. It also depends on the actual unit (looking to rent an apartment), is it quiet, it it near a park or bike trail, it is easy to access the freeway and get to hiking, etc. So if I found something a little further out, and it was cheap, I'd consider that.

I like a mix of outdoor access and cool spots. Being near a food co op would be awesome.

Any recommendations?

Last edited:
Well, it's wide open at this point. Midtown would be cool. But I'm not opposed to a quiet pad in Land Park, or some other cool hood. It also depends on the actual unit (looking to rent an apartment), is it quiet, it it near a park or bike trail, it is easy to access the freeway and get to hiking, etc. So if I found something a little further out, and it was cheap, I'd consider that.

I like a mix of outdoor access and cool spots. Being near a food co op would be awesome.

Any recommendations?
Well I grew up in Curtis park, so got to experience that and Land Park so you can't go wrong with those 2 areas. I lived in midtown after I moved back from college and that is a good time as well...especially with the influx of nice restaurants, bars and just overall vibe there now. But now I have aged, am married with a 1 year old and 4 cats...so we live in the quiet, cushy suburbs of Folsom. But, even when I was younger (when I say younger I mean about 10 years ago... I'm 36 now) I loved hanging out in Folsom. Tons of stuff to do...hiking, water sports, biking, wine bars, tap houses, nice restaurants, a great great world class venue for live entertainment (3 Stages), shopping , etc...and then factor in it is very safe and quiet and it is right off of the 50. You can get downtown in 15-20 min on a good day. It's probably my favorite place I've lived. I can check out some rental prices for you and shoot you a PM.

Oh and there is a nice food co op over between Curtis park and oak park. Great farmers markets both downtown and Folsom as well

Well I grew up in Curtis park, so got to experience that and Land Park so you can't go wrong with those 2 areas. I lived in midtown after I moved back from college and that is a good time as well...especially with the influx of nice restaurants, bars and just overall vibe there now. But now I have aged, am married with a 1 year old and 4 cats...so we live in the quiet, cushy suburbs of Folsom. But, even when I was younger (when I say younger I mean about 10 years ago... I'm 36 now) I loved hanging out in Folsom. Tons of stuff to do...hiking, water sports, biking, wine bars, tap houses, nice restaurants, a great great world class venue for live entertainment (3 Stages), shopping , etc...and then factor in it is very safe and quiet and it is right off of the 50. You can get downtown in 15-20 min on a good day. It's probably my favorite place I've lived. I can check out some rental prices for you and shoot you a PM.

Oh and there is a nice food co op over between Curtis park and oak park. Great farmers markets both downtown and Folsom as well
This is so helpful!!! I'm definitely open to leads on rentals for studios/1 bedrooms, even temporary houseshare situations (renting a room in a house). What I might do is come down soon and live in a furnished room and bring only the basics, and then retrieve the rest of my stuff in a month or two.

Ok, so we've now moved on to WHERE in Sac I should live... let the discussion continue!!

Now tell me where I should live, and where I shouldn't live, and why! :)

Thanks everyone!

Earlier gave lot of info pros and cons of living in Sac city vs unincorporated Sac County or Placer (Roseville) or up near or in El Dorado (Folsom). Safer further out of city, cheaper for everything in general. Take sales tax: City - 8.50% Unincorporated county - 8.00% Placer - 7.50% El Dorado - 7.50% All my friends that live in city (with some but only a few advantages) are amazed when give them what I pay for various utilities compared to what they pay each month. Their bills are substantially higher with more nonsensical restrictions (add on's, additional fees, etc.) compared to mine for water, trash, sewer, etc. Someone referred earlier to Sacramento as politically liberal which is very true in city but less so outside core and out into the county. No one would call Placer county and El Dorado county liberal. My term for them would be common sense conservative or simply moderate. Btw, most of the Kings players, management and team media types live not in city but in "those other places." Jerry Reynolds has lived in Roseville for 30 years, Grant Napear has lived in Folsom for almost as long. Many Kings players live in places like Loomis, Granite Bay, etc. Very few if any live in much touted midtown although some prefer Natomas - a notorious flood plain. Another bad flood plain (El Nino coming?) is Pocket area but anywhere downtown is big risk with high flood insurance required. It's all about situational awareness and risk assessment - really everything in life is. Hammer what's your sales tax in Idaho? Don't tell me, I might fall over out of my chair!

Last edited:
Earlier gave lot of info pros and cons ...

Hammer what's your sales tax in Idaho? Don't tell me, I might fall over out of my chair!
Haha. Um, hold on to your rocker good sir...

6.00 %

http://www.sale-tax.com/MoscowID

To give you an idea of cost of living in Idaho, I currently pay $325 a month in rent for a small one bedroom apartment that is about a 7 minute walk from the cool little downtown and a very nice local food co op. And about $20 in utilities in the summer, and $40 in the winter. Water, sewer, garbage all paid by landlord.

Last edited:
California state sales tax rate is currently 6.5%. Hmmm, maybe not bad, close to Idaho's rate. EXCEPT THE FOLLOWING! CA adds a mandatory local rate of 1% that increases the total state sales and use tax base to 7.5%. Depending on local municipalities, the total tax rate can be as high at 10.0%. State and local taxes can reach 9.25% in many cities. Thus locally take Rancho Cordova (and you can have it!). It WAS an unincorporated part of Sacramento County until voters of that suburb ten years ago decided they would be better off incorporating and becoming a city. Their sales tax in Rancho Cordova is now 8.50% and I'm sure they all love it! Quick glance at your living expenses in Idaho vs city of Sac would tell me you are going to be easily doubling it all here - unfortunately.

California state sales tax rate is currently 6.5%. Hmmm, maybe not bad, close to Idaho's rate. EXCEPT THE FOLLOWING! CA adds a mandatory local rate of 1% that increases the total state sales and use tax base to 7.5%. Depending on local municipalities, the total tax rate can be as high at 10.0%. State and local taxes can reach 9.25% in many cities. Thus locally take Rancho Cordova (and you can have it!). It WAS an unincorporated part of Sacramento County until voters of that suburb ten years ago decided they would be better off incorporating and becoming a city. Their sales tax in Rancho Cordova is now 8.50% and I'm sure they all love it! Quick glance at your living expenses in Idaho vs city of Sac would tell me you are going to be easily doubling it all here - unfortunately.
True, it will likely double. It's insanely cheap here, but I'll more than make up for it in income increase.

So, from the above info, you are not moving to Sacto for a lower cost of living. I guess, since you've decided to make this excellent decision to move here anyway, the step before deciding on a permanent residence is finding a job and letting that help determine where you live.

Where should you live in Sacto? In my 80 plus years living here all 12 of my homes have been in the greater downtown area, most within 5 miles of the Capitol Building. I recommend any and all of it. As some accurately say, it costs more to get in but I would guess it would be worth it to you. One interesting note, it appears to me you are having fun with this process. I hope you realize that this means that a full final report will be expected of you. Good luck.

Warhawk

Give blood and save a life!
Staff member
True, it will likely double. It's insanely cheap here, but I'll more than make up for it in income increase.
Call me crazy, but I don't base where I live according to sales tax rates. Is 0.5-1.0% difference from city to county or whatever really a big deal when it comes to living somewhere you like? Your difference in rent from one place to another will more than cover your difference in sales tax. Find the PLACE you want to live, not the sales tax rate.

That being said, one thing to watch out for is make sure you live in an area in SMUD territory if you are paying your own electric bill!

https://www.smud.org/en/about-smud/company-information/board-of-directors/ward-map.htm

SMUD is a community owned electricity provider and is MUCH cheaper than PG&E. This makes a huge difference in your electric bill (I'm talking potentially $100 per month or more depending on usage)! Sounds like you are likely living in SMUD territory, and there is nothing "wrong" with PG&E, but the rate differences are extreme. Lots of PG&E folks are going solar because of the high rates. Not so much in SMUD areas.

Yikes... Sac has changed a LOT in 20 years.

I want out. I was thinking of actually moving to the high desert in NV near Elko or Ely, or to North Dakota. I want the rocky mountain desert setting, but I also want it to get cold in winter, but I love snowy cold winters.
Move to Colorado my friend. Check out Cortez.

Call me crazy, but I don't base where I live according to sales tax rates. Is 0.5-1.0% difference from city to county or whatever really a big deal when it comes to living somewhere you like? Your difference in rent from one place to another will more than cover your difference in sales tax. Find the PLACE you want to live, not the sales tax rate.

That being said, one thing to watch out for is make sure you live in an area in SMUD territory if you are paying your own electric bill!

https://www.smud.org/en/about-smud/company-information/board-of-directors/ward-map.htm

SMUD is a community owned electricity provider and is MUCH cheaper than PG&E. This makes a huge difference in your electric bill (I'm talking potentially $100 per month or more depending on usage)! Sounds like you are likely living in SMUD territory, and there is nothing "wrong" with PG&E, but the rate differences are extreme. Lots of PG&E folks are going solar because of the high rates. Not so much in SMUD areas.
I totally agree. I was just humoring Mr. Purplehaze. To whom sales tax is issue #1 when deciding where to live. Personally I think that's ludicrous. Let's both call HIM crazy. Purplehaze, you are sales-tax crazy!!! :)

Thanks for the tip on SMUD stuff. Didn't realize it was that severe. I've never, ever decided where to live bases on taxes or utility costs. Never even crossed my mind. Rent, of course.

So, from the above info, you are not moving to Sacto for a lower cost of living. I guess, since you've decided to make this excellent decision to move here anyway, the step before deciding on a permanent residence is finding a job and letting that help determine where you live.

Where should you live in Sacto? In my 80 plus years living here all 12 of my homes have been in the greater downtown area, most within 5 miles of the Capitol Building. I recommend any and all of it. As some accurately say, it costs more to get in but I would guess it would be worth it to you. One interesting note, it appears to me you are having fun with this process. I hope you realize that this means that a full final report will be expected of you. Good luck.
A full final report indeed! And I'm having a blast and enjoying every morsel of this once in a lifetime, moving back to my hometown after 20 years away, event. I'm loving it.

A full report might be better given at a housewarming party I might throw! You'd all be invited!

---

Lower cost of living vs. Bay Area, yes. Vs. Idaho... no, I'm happy to pay more, expect to earn more, enjoy life more, and be in a bigger city, and be in California.

Cosign on all the stuff posted about the Curtis/Land Park, and midtown. I'm early 30s, married ... and we both really enjoyed midtown a lot, lived there for almost 4 years. A bit noisy at times, but there are surrounding areas that offer quieter experiences. Moved up into the foothills for employment last year, but still love going down to midtown area to hang out.

I've held off commenting till now, but I caution you from a simple income/expenses standpoint:

Do you have a job lined up?
If not, why would you assume you'll be making much more than where you're at now?
The expenses in Sac are quite high compared to a typical job's pay.
$325 a month?
Ha - AFAIK, it's over a $1000/mo if you want a decent neighborhood and decent sized apartment.

Sacramento is in a 7-year-long depression, and no signs of coming out of it.
Business fail left and right - the occupancy rate on business properties is very low IIRC.
Most neighborhoods you drive by, there are numerous empty business, which wasn't typically the case when you left.

Sacramento is not nearly as prosperous as when you left in the 90's.
Most neighborhoods are worse off than they were then.

The traffic is MUCH worse than when you left. You'll be stunned.

There are typically a hundred applicants for every job opening - businesses know this and push their employees with no regard for proper employee relations or fairness. Someone else can always come in and take your job, making less than you did.

Sacramento is past its prime, quite clearly (as a lifelong resident).
I certainly wouldn't recommend anyone to come here without a good job lined up.

I've held off commenting till now, but I caution you from a simple income/expenses standpoint:

If not, why would you assume you'll be making much more than where you're at now?
$325 a month?
Ha - AFAIK, it's over a $1000/mo if you want a decent neighborhood and decent sized apartment.

Business fail left and right - the occupancy rate on business properties is very low IIRC.
Most neighborhoods you drive by, there are numerous empty business, which wasn't typically the case when you left.

There are typically a hundred applicants for every job opening - businesses know this and push their employees with no regard for proper employee relations or fairness. Someone else can always come in and take your job, making less than you did.

I appreciate the realism here in this post, it's what I was asking for. I tend to be an eternal optimist. That Sacramento has NOT fully come out of the recession, is actually good news to me. It means there's room to grow. Hot economies (such as Denver) are exciting, but it usually means real estate has already bumped up to the top end of the curve. I view Sacramento as a great time to get in. It's just ABOUT to turn around/is already starting to.

However, I do have a job lined up, and another interview also. Frankly, it didn't take me that long to find... a couple days. I'm a carpenter. Carpentry is one of those things that there always seems to be a job for me, wherever I go.

$325 a month?

You're analysis makes me laugh. Our family eight has been here all over he area we're talking about and none of us recognize the place you describe. I also recommend a job before anyone moves into any new area. Don't be afraid of Sacramento. My read is that it is steadily moving up with no prime or limit in sight.

I'm not sure what iF is talking about. My house has almost doubled in value in the last 4 years.

Movie theaters are full, malls are filling in stores, it takes an hour to get a seat at mikunis, etc.

I appreciate the realism here in this post, it's what I was asking for. I tend to be an eternal optimist. That Sacramento has NOT fully come out of the recession, is actually good news to me. It means there's room to grow. Hot economies (such as Denver) are exciting, but it usually means real estate has already bumped up to the top end of the curve. I view Sacramento as a great time to get in. It's just ABOUT to turn around/is already starting to.

However, I do have a job lined up, and another interview also. Frankly, it didn't take me that long to find... a couple days. I'm a carpenter. Carpentry is one of those things that there always seems to be a job for me, wherever I go.

Another neighborhood to consider is Greenhaven/Pocket area. There are alot of apartment that are affordable. It's right along the Sacramento River and is in a very save community. It's also only 15 minutes drive to get into midtown. I'm also not sure what IFAST is talking about. I moved back to California in 2011 and have noticed so much growth in terms of restaurant scene as well as new luxury apartment being build in the midtown area. As a matter of fact, I feel as if I don't purchase a house in the next 2-3 years, it may end up being too expensive for me to get one.