Things to think about..

Since the season is now over, there are some things to think about.

1. We must sign Bonzi back.
2. Kevin is coming on strong, and will be very helpful next year
3. Ron is going to be a huge part of our success next year.
4. What will be the status of Rick come summer?

What else do you guys think?

1. How to strengthen the bench (only applies if we have a coach willing to use it)
2. How to compensate for two defensive holes in the starting lineup.
3. Lack of outside shooting.
4. Balancing the unique skills Bonzi brings to the table with developing Cisco and KMart.
5. Interior defense.

sauce-26 said:
Since the season is now over, there are some things to think about.

1. We must sign Bonzi back.
2. Kevin is coming on strong, and will be very helpful next year
3. Ron is going to be a huge part of our success next year.
4. What will be the status of Rick come summer?

What else do you guys think?
I'm afraid that 1 and 2 conflict with each other. I LOVE Bonzi's hustle and hunger for the game. However, Kmart is awesome and needs more playing time to develop into a true star. I don't know what the answer is, but I hope the kings come up with the best solution.

Fire Adelman and let Elston Turner take over (no Don Nelson, please, he would be even worse), trade Brad Miller to Indiana for Jeff Foster.

Oskor said:
I'm afraid that 1 and 2 conflict with each other. I LOVE Bonzi's hustle and hunger for the game. However, Kmart is awesome and needs more playing time to develop into a true star. I don't know what the answer is, but I hope the kings come up with the best solution.
That is the toughest decision the Kings will have to make this offseason. Bonzi played hard and with a lot of heart. Kevin Martin played hard and with a lot of heart. Bonzi is a better player now, but Kevin Martin is younger and will get better, whereas Bonzi will get older. Also consider that Bonzi is in a contract year and he gave extra effort so he could make more money. Also, he was a cancer with a capital C in Portland and Memphis. In the end, I say re-sign him, but don't overpay for him like we did with Webber.

W

West_Gunslinger16

GameBall said:
Fire Adelman and let Elston Turner take over (no Don Nelson, please, he would be even worse), trade Brad Miller to Indiana for Jeff Foster.
Don't fire Adelman. Trade Brad for anybody who can block and rebound.

1. Sign Bonzi and Rick
2. Build around Bonzi and Artest
4. Try to keep Reef, KMart and Cisco for bench. (reasonable salaries).
5. Everyone else fair game.

I think that Kevin and Bonzi can co-exist quite well, as far as playing time goes...I think that when you have a guy that brings what Bonzi brings night in and night out, and fits the team's concept to a tee, you have to do EVERYTHING you can to keep him, and get it done. I think as far as the center position goes, who knows, the Spurs have a guy on their bench that has been in and out of Pop's doghouse all season, Nazi Mohammed. I think that he could possibly bring alot to our style of play, but not sure how to get him, or what happens to Brad in the process. As far as Rick goes, its not even a question, its only about the answer: you sign him, by ANY means necessary. Oh, remember that guy Bobby umm...what's his name, used to play here? Dont be suprised if THAT rumor pops up REAL soon...I've been bouncing that thought around ever since we traded him for Bonzi, knowing that he(Bobby) was in the last year of his contract.

Last edited:
West_Gunslinger16 said:
Don't fire Adelman. Trade Brad for anybody who can block and rebound.
I appreciate and respect what Adelman has done for the Kings, but it's time. He allows the players a little too much freedom on the court. It is why players want to play for him; I know he is a player's coach. But sometimes, in crucial games, too, he lets them play too loose. Twenty turnovers in Game 6 against the Spurs; need I say more?

Sirius said:
Rick Adelman is the perfect coach for Ron Artest.

I think that deserves some consideration.
I agree... ROn loves anyone who will let him do what he wants (shoot a bunch of threes!). So either On learns to shoot better than anyone, or he needs to remember he is a slasher grunt worker down low... basically a very versital powerforward with a decent jumper. Rick needs to grow so spine... he is to soft... and it showed in our team for a long time... now that we have a tough presence in ron and bonzi we can spread that to our team.

Sirius said:
Rick Adelman is the perfect coach for Ron Artest.

I think that deserves some consideration.
If "perfect" means he lets players do what they want, then anyone could be the "perfect" coach. Why do you even have a coach? Just a thought.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
kingkung said:
If "perfect" means he lets players do what they want, then anyone could be the "perfect" coach. Why do you even have a coach? Just a thought.
Rick never lets his ego get involved, and he is a non-control freak. That's a rare combo amongst multi-millionaire immensely successful coaches.

Many many people make the mistake of thinking of NBA coaches as they would high school coaches. But NBA coaches are in a totally different situation, dealing with grown men, many of THEM with huge egos.

I say we sign Bonzi to a good 2 year deal.

And in the contract it says that we resign him after the 2 years, for a cheaper deal when he can come off the bench for K-Mart.

I don't want to have him getting payed big bucks, do be sitting on the bench in the next 3-4 years.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
CreeksideBaller said:
What about Reef and KT then?
What about them?

Actually I think Reef might have some use as a 6th man on an eltie team. But noentheless, I don't really consider either major considerations.

Keep Mike Bibby, but only if we get a real shotblocker/rebounder that can compensate for Mike's lack of D so teams stop running lay-up drills on us.

I'm all for keeping Bonzi and trading Brad, but what about the trade value factor? Bonzi's value has never been higher and Brad's has never been lower. Who the hell would trade us the shotblocker/rebounder that we desperately need for Miller after everyone saw how horrible he was in the playoffs? While Bonzi on the other hand, put up Duncan-esque numbers when it mattered most. Could it be that, we need to keep Brad so he can start fresh next year to increase his career low trade value, so we can ship him when he finds his 15/7/5 self? Or could it be that, since everyone thinks the world of Bonzi now, we could get a borderline all-star or an all-star for him in return?

I'm not necesseraly agreeing with what i'm saying, im just throwing it out cause i'm not sure what I think of it. I know it's basketball and it can't be really be compared but, wouldn't you sell your stocks on the stockmarket when they are really high instead of ridiculously low?

Best case scenario, we get to keep Bonzi. And Petrie either signs us a shotblocker and we draft a PG, or vice versa.

Last edited:
1.Keep Adelman
2.Get a big man that can rebound and block shots (if that means getting rid of Brad, then so be it.)
3.Re-Sign Bonzi
4.Try to get Cisco more playing time

It's time for Adelman to go.....Keep Brad Miller....A tough coach will keep this team intact. Bonzi will stay, But instead of drafting a PG, we need a true 6-10 impact PF, like a Joakim Noah or something like that...

the kings have got to re-sign bonzi. he played very well for the kings all year. he's a good defender, something the kings desperatly need. he and ron give us some toughness! kevin would be a great weapon off the bench if he can continue to improve, especially on the defensive end.

brad doesn't necessarely need to go, but the kings NEED a big guy who can rebound and block shots since brad doesn't seem to want to do those things. the spurs ate the kings alive in this series by taking it to brad, he can't guard anyone. the kings need someone who can.

i'm torn on the rick issue. i think he brings a LOT of positives to the kings. he's a fantasitc coach for ron artest. his stock really rose with the turnaround the kings made after ron came, rick was a huge part of that. however, he doesn't preech defense, nor does he punish players who don't play it. the kings need to play better defense if they want to win the championship, and i'm not sure rick is the guy for that. i'm not a rick hater by any means, and i would not be upset if he were re-signed. i think he did a great job this year, and he should be rewarded for it.

it'll be an intresting offseason, that is for sure

I would love to see Bonzi stay. He does create a lot of match up problems for other teams (as we really got to see against the Spurs). I would love to have him back, but I wouldn't mind having him come off the bench of Kevin. Really, I don't think it truly matters who starts- Bonzi or Kevin- as long as they can each get a good amount of playing time. I really like the combo of Kevin, Ron & Bonzi out on the floor at the same time.

I hope that Garcia does what Martin did this last summer, which was work hard on his game. I think he will do that, and then maybe Garcia will be ready for his break out year. I think Garcia has a lot of potential to be a star too. He's very good defensively, he's a good shooter, he has point guard skills, and he is a hustle player.

I would love to see MIller be traded for a defensive minded, rebounding, shot blocker who can JUMP. Or, we could always keep him as a back up center, like he was when he originally got here. And maybe sign a free agent center (even though there are slim pickings...) or maybe we can trade some of the players we never use for one with the skills we need. SIDENOTE: Why do we never use Potapenko? He seems to do decent when he gets a few minutes here and there... :cool:

In the offseason, I would like to see... a new center, some more role players off the bench (a 3 point shooter would be nice), and possibly a back up PG (Bobby J anyone?). With me, the jury is still out on Adelman- I see pros and cons to both retaining him and letting him go.

Evenstar said:
i'm torn on the rick issue. i think he brings a LOT of positives to the kings. he's a fantasitc coach for ron artest. his stock really rose with the turnaround the kings made after ron came, rick was a huge part of that. however, he doesn't preech defense, nor does he punish players who don't play it. the kings need to play better defense if they want to win the championship, and i'm not sure rick is the guy for that. i'm not a rick hater by any means, and i would not be upset if he were re-signed. i think he did a great job this year, and he should be rewarded for it.
couldn't agree more

Bring in KG at center, trade KT, Corliss and picks for him or another way, im not really picky as long at they dont trade away our key players. Start SAR at forward and bench Miller, making him the 6th man.

i<3kevinmartin said:
does anyone think the kevin garnett trade might actually happen?
Sac.Kings said:
Bring in KG at center, trade KT, Corliss and picks for him or another way, im not really picky as long at they dont trade away our key players. Start SAR at forward and bench Miller, making him the 6th man.

ya, but not to us. First, minnesota would probably want to get him out of the west. Second, I don't know that we have the ammo to get him anyway. They would want a star, young studs, and draft picks. Seems like theres really only 2 teams that could do it: Chicago and New York. Chicago has New York's draft picks this year and next, if they want it. This year, it will be a top 5 pick and probably the same next year too. Plus, Chicago has $15 million or more to take back salary. NY has two first round picks this year and an owner that likes to spend money, so who knows what they'd swing for Garnett- maybe even send Channing Frye their way along with Francis.

Sacramento just doesn't have the players or picks to get a garnett player. Even a combination of Bibby/Miller/martin + our first round pick (#19) probably wouldn't interest them.

Personally, I would love to see moves that brought us an athletic PF and a defensive-oriented PG. Was I the only one who noticed that Martin did pretty well against Tony Parker in this series? I'm not saying hes the answer, but his quickness and versatility is amazing. Kenny Thomas did pretty well on Duncan defensively, but I think we need someone who can do more on the other side of the ball. As far as coaching, it seems like Adelman is the best coach available to us, and if he can get out of Bonzi/Artest next season what he got out of them during the playoffs, I like our chances a lot more than going in another coaching direction.