Theus, Van Gundy are next in line

Theus, Van Gundy are next in line
The former King meets with Geoff Petrie today; the ex-Miami Heat coach will interview Monday.
By Sam Amick - Bee Staff Writer

http://www.sacbee.com/100/story/184961.html

Published 12:00 am PDT Friday, May 18, 2007
Story appeared in SPORTS section, Page C6

Print | E-Mail | Comments (2) | Digg it | del.icio.us

As it stands, the Reggie Nation is a relatively small -- if not infinitely passionate -- country.

Reggie Theus, a Kings point guard when the team moved from Kansas City to Sacramento, has captured the hearts of most of Las Cruces, N.M., with his impressive two-year turnaround as the coach at New Mexico State, inspiring wins at a historic pace and pandemonium from a fast-growing fan base that loves its charismatic coach. But when Theus interviews today for the Kings' head-coaching position, he will look to expand his borders.

"When you have history with an organization, it's special," Theus said by phone. "For me, there's probably two or three places in your life where you consider yourself part of the fabric of the (area), where you have history with the fans, the people, the community, the administration. The Kings and UNLV have always been that for me."

Theus -- who has already interviewed for the Charlotte Bobcats' head-coaching position -- will be the second candidate to interview formally with the Kings. Lakers assistant Kurt Rambis met with Kings basketball president Geoff Petrie on Thursday in a meeting that, according to News10, took place in Los Angeles.

Former Miami Heat coach Stan Van Gundy told The Bee on Thursday that he is scheduled to interview with the Kings on Monday. Van Gundy has interviewed for the head-coaching positions in Charlotte and Indiana, and said he is very interested in the Kings' position, which became vacant when Eric Musselman was fired April 20 after one season.

"I wouldn't go anywhere to talk to anybody if I wasn't interested, and I would hope that Geoff wouldn't bring anybody in that he wasn't interested in," Van Gundy said from his home in Village of Palmetto, Fla. "So I think there's definitely a strong level of interest."

Theus, who played for the Kings from 1984 to 1988 and during his 13-year career became one of seven players to score at least 19,000 career points and tally 6,000-plus assists, received a contract extension from New Mexico State on May 10. But while there is a buyout clause in the contract, it does not pertain to the NBA, according to a source familiar with the contract who won't go on record for fear of repercussions.

With a base salary of $466,000, Theus would be the highest-paid coach in the Western Athletic Conference. He earned the raise from his previous base salary of $355,000 by taking a team that went 6-24 the year before his arrival to 16-14 in his first season -- the fifth-largest turnaround in men's Division I history.

In 2006-07, the Aggies went 25-9, winning the WAC tournament and competing in the NCAA Tournament for the first time since 1999.

Among the first wave of six Kings coaching candidates, only Van Gundy has been a head coach for an extended period of time. Rambis was the Lakers' head coach during the lockout-shortened 1999 season, compiling a 24-13 record before his team was eliminated in the Western Conference semifinals. He was replaced by Phil Jackson.

Van Gundy's Miami teams were a combined 112-73 from 2003 until he resigned on Dec. 12, 2005. The Heat went on to win the NBA Finals with team president-turned-head coach Pat Riley.

While Van Gundy consistently cited family reasons for his departure, there was widespread speculation that Riley forced him out. Van Gundy's 2003-04 team fell in six games to Indiana in the Eastern Conference semifinals, while his 2004-05 team lost to Detroit in seven games in the Eastern Conference finals. In a Bee readers' poll this week, Van Gundy garnered the most votes -- 41 percent -- among the candidates currently scheduled to meet with Petrie.

The others are former Kings assistant Elston Turner, Houston assistant Tom Thibodeau and Lakers assistant Brian Shaw. The first wave of interviews will last likely through Wednesday.

Kings assistant Scott Brooks, also a candidate, had an informal interview with Petrie last Friday but is still expected to meet formally. There are expected to be more candidates, as the Kings have interest in numerous assistant coaches whose teams are still in the playoffs, and Petrie will not speak to them until their respective seasons have ended.

About the writer:

* The Bee's Sam Amick can be reached at < ahref="mailto:samick@sacbee.com">samick@ sacbee.com.

Well Theus was talented enough to take a boys high school team with a girl as their PF and anthony anderson as their center to the state finals in the show Hang Time.
Plus he only had 5 people on that team period. They all had to play 40 minutes.

COY candidate right there.

Are you kidding me? You can't equate prep school coaching to the NBA...Theus would be a HORRIBLE pick.

I swear I would cut my face off if it meant having Reggie Theus as a coach, and the Kings drafted Noah.

Are you kidding me? You can't equate prep school coaching to the NBA...Theus would be a HORRIBLE pick.

I swear I would cut my face off if it meant having Reggie Theus as a coach, and the Kings drafted Noah.
Dude chill, even I knew that was a joke.

"When you have history with an organization, it's special," Theus said by phone. "For me, there's probably two or three places in your life where you consider yourself part of the fabric of the (area), where you have history with the fans, the people, the community, the administration. The Kings and UNLV have always been that for me."
Aargh! I had forgotten that Theus was a star player under Tarkanian before he was in the NBA. People with strong ties to Las Vegas make me nervous. WHY did he have to go to UNLV? :( Before, my only problem with him was his lack of NBA experience. Now I have two problems with him.

HndsmCelt

Hall of Famer
Seriously I do not see Van Gundy developing young players or being ok with a loosing a develemental season UNLESS it was agreed up-on before getting the job. The nice thing about a Theus experiment is he WONT win too many games and is very liekly to play the Kids. and when the season is over and the Kings are ready to move on they can dump him with little or no explinaiton or cost. Van GUndy is likely to settle in for severl mediocre seasons.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Seriously I do not see Van Gundy developing young players or being ok with a loosing a develemental season UNLESS it was agreed up-on before getting the job. The nice thing about a Theus experiment is he WONT win too many games and is very liekly to play the Kids. and when the season is over and the Kings are ready to move on they can dump him with little or no explinaiton or cost. Van GUndy is likely to settle in for severl mediocre seasons.
Upon what do you base this? SVG was the same guy who turned around the Heat by basing the team on a trio of youngsters -- Wade (a rookie), Odom and Butler. If anything, he did a better job with the young'uns than he did with the old whiny vets like Shaq who eventually convinced him to go off for some family time.

Theus on the other may be able to coach, or he might suck. And if he sucks, you are very close to being back to the level of the bad ole Kings. loundering around looking for a 4th coach in 4 years, paying millins of dollars to failed half assed ex-coaches and therefore not having money to spend on players etc.

Carlisle

Stan Van Gundy

Everyone else

IF we're rebuilding, there has to be someone who knows what the hell they are doing. We don't need a coach trying to figure out how to be an NBA head coach while working with a team that doesn't know how to play together. If it can't be Carlisle, it should be Stan Van Gundy.

Carlisle

Stan Van Gundy

Everyone else

IF we're rebuilding, there has to be someone who knows what the hell they are doing. We don't need a coach trying to figure out how to be an NBA head coach while working with a team that doesn't know how to play together. If it can't be Carlisle, it should be Stan Van Gundy.
I'll pass on Carlisle.

HndsmCelt

Hall of Famer
Upon what do you base this? SVG was the same guy who turned around the Heat by basing the team on a trio of youngsters -- Wade (a rookie), Odom and Butler. If anything, he did a better job with the young'uns than he did with the old whiny vets like Shaq who eventually convinced him to go off for some family time.

Theus on the other may be able to coach, or he might suck. And if he sucks, you are very close to being back to the level of the bad ole Kings. loundering around looking for a 4th coach in 4 years, paying millins of dollars to failed half assed ex-coaches and therefore not having money to spend on players etc.
You might be right about stan being more pron to play kids than the average vet coach, but my thinking is based on the generalization that established coaches try hard to win every game and therefore play experienced players more and kids less. Younger coaches tend to experiment espcially when the team is comming off of a bad season. My thought is NOT that Theus is likely to be a wining coach... he is a compleet unknown quantity. I rather suspect he will loose games, but in the grand schem of treating next season as a rebuild season that is NOT a bad thing and essentially if he does suck as a coach is disposable while Van Gundy will want long paper and will be harder to justify axing if the team looses but even harder to justify keeping if they loose.

I know it's way too early to write off next season, but sorry Petrie has done NOTHING in the past 3 years to convince me he is willing, able or even capible of pulling off the necessary moves this summer to filed a string team next season, so I realisticlly see next season as the Kings opertunity to pick up expiring paper, develop young tallent and position for next years lotto. Van Gundy could do more damage to THAT plan then Muss did by squeeking another mediocre team into the play off... while Theuse might help the Kings really hit bottom while developing young tallent in the process. Again note my exception that IF Van Gundy were shown a 2-3 year plan and were on board with it he might be the guy. But I jsut don't see very many established coaches agreeing to a deal that included accepting a loosing season right up front.

Reggie Theus should just be shot. No way. I am tired of these sentimental hypothesis...

I mean we can always have Doug Christie or Vlade coach...gah, it's makin me sick, let's get ourselves a COACH in there...not a flash in the pan, or a damn longshot...

Reggie Theus should just be shot. No way. I am tired of these sentimental hypothesis...

I mean we can always have Doug Christie or Vlade coach...gah, it's makin me sick, let's get ourselves a COACH in there...not a flash in the pan, or a damn longshot...

uhhh.. wow..

I think Theus should get a shot, not literally shot..... Just not here in Sac..

This is EXACTLY what I've been saying for quite some time now. Right now the Kings need to be inspired to succeed, and this has alot to do with our youth...and continuing growth of our youth, once this year's draft brings us more.

Reminder: Draft lottery is this coming Tuesday.:)

Entity

Hall of Famer
I don't understand this play the kids thing. I understood it at the end of the season when we had no shot at anything but, why would we do that the whole season?

Well Theus was talented enough to take a boys high school team with a girl as their PF and anthony anderson as their center to the state finals in the show Hang Time.
Plus he only had 5 people on that team period. They all had to play 40 minutes.

COY candidate right there.

HAHAHAHAHA!!!! :D

Kingster

Hall of Famer
I don't understand this play the kids thing. I understood it at the end of the season when we had no shot at anything but, why would we do that the whole season?
To build a team that eventually compete for a championship rather than compete for the 8th spot for eternity.

CruzDude

Senior Member sharing a brew with bajaden
Reggie, while an emotional choice, has never coached in the NBA at any level. No way GP looks at him as anything other than an assistant.

Rambis coached the Lakers for a bit and has been an assistant for 6 or 7 years. And remember, he is smart, at Santa Clara is was going to go to med school to be a doctor until he got drafted in the NBA.

SVG and JVG are interesting for sure. But with Petrie only in charge (with some inputs I bet from Jerry Reynolds), he will look at what likely he keeps, what he likely will get then who can deal with that.

Terry Porter. Why has he been passed over 3-4 times by other teams as well as the Kings a year ago? I have no idea.

Cartwright, local sentimental favorite but don't see his NBA pedigree.

My support, for now, is on Scott Brooks with GP bringing in an old timer (relatively speaking) who has head coached a bunch.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
i agree with you i dont feel that we should just throw away now for the future when even that might backfire
Look at it this way - if teams never rebuilt, if they played all their veterans until their legs fell off, players like Kevin Martin and Francisco Garcia (low first round draft picks) would never get a chance to break into the league with any possibility of success.

When you buy a car, you expect to eventually have to replace it. If you don't plan for it, when it does go wheels up you may have to temporarily settle for a much more modest vehicle than what you really like while you save your money to buy the new car you really want. And it's even tougher if you're still paying for those luxury additions you made to the car that are now just not worth what you still owe on them.

The 2002-2003 Kings were the team of our dreams. Unfortunately, they started to get old and have problems. Rather than scrap them, we tried to replace a part here and there to keep them running. Now, we've got no choice. We HAVE to get a new group of players. We're just going to have to save up to get the players that will do us the most good and get us back into the competitive ranks.

Look at it this way - if teams never rebuilt, if they played all their veterans until their legs fell off, players like Kevin Martin and Francisco Garcia (low first round draft picks) would never get a chance to break into the league with any possibility of success.

When you buy a car, you expect to eventually have to replace it. If you don't plan for it, when it does go wheels up you may have to temporarily settle for a much more modest vehicle than what you really like while you save your money to buy the new car you really want. And it's even tougher if you're still paying for those luxury additions you made to the car that are now just not worth what you still owe on them.

The 2002-2003 Kings were the team of our dreams. Unfortunately, they started to get old and have problems. Rather than scrap them, we tried to replace a part here and there to keep them running. Now, we've got no choice. We HAVE to get a new group of players. We're just going to have to save up to get the players that will do us the most good and get us back into the competitive ranks.
great post :)

Carlisle

Stan Van Gundy

i have to pass on carlisle. i can't watch slow half court offense all the time. he will be calling plays on the sidelines all game long. have you watched any of the indiana grind it out games? i will have to turn to another team that has exciting players that play a uptempo game than watch a team led by carlisle.

I think you can cross Stan Van Gundy's name of the Kings list. Reports out of Indianapolis tonight indicate that SVG will be the pacers new coach. Really it has been rather obvious since Friday that he'll be named Pacers coach.

I hope not. Stan the Man is the right choice. I don't want to go through this year all over again by them (Maloofs and Petrie) making the wrong decision (Muss over Don Nelson).