The Wrestling Thread~

I had told my son's mom I'd be bringing him back to her house after the rumble and of course he paused it to play video games. So match over, I head up to his room and ask him to get ready, he's about 15 mins to go. So I told him RKO won after everyone else got eliminated he RKO'd the last man standing and took home the win.

When he got to the finish he was so mad he wanted to hit me and he almost missed the real finish.

Made my night.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
Man oh man, Takeover was superb tonight. 5/5 show.

Some thoughts after the fact, as I was in a hurry over to the Kings thread earlier.

Every single match delivered huge, except the Woman’s Title. Mercedes is fine, and I’ve only ever been disappointed by Toni. I’ve always heard such hype around her, but she never delivers. It’s a shame, because I want to like her. Looks like a star, and commands the screen... but just doesn’t do it for me in the ring.

Raquel Gonzalez is that girl. Her offense is deadly looking. She’s gonna be the one to dethrone Io.

MSK vs GYV was a flashback to old NXT Tag clinics with The Revival and American Alpha. Great match. Good tag team wrestling is so much fun.

Gargano/Kushida was classic Johnny Takeover. I wanted Kushida to get the W, but I love The Way so I’m not going to complain about Johnny keeping the title. Also looking like my man Dexter Lumis might be next in line. I approve.

The Cameron Grimes music video was the greatest thing on a great show. I love that goof.

The main event was a clinic. Dunne is one of my favorite wrestlers going, and Finn is blowing the rest of his WWE work out of the water with this run. He’s so good right now.

... AND DOWN GOES THE ERA! Excited to see heel Adam Cole on his own. Good time for the split, as they were just spinning their wheels so it’s going to be interesting how this goes for all of them. In a perfect world, Heel Cole beats Finn at some point, then Kyle O’Reilly gets his big babyface victory moment over the man that stabbed him in the heart. Don’t know where Roddy goes, and Fish is never healthy anyways.

I just hope Karrion Kross doesn’t stick his lame head in the main event, but I’m afraid that’s where he’ll be.

Last edited:

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
... AND DOWN GOES THE ERA! Excited to see heel Adam Cole on his own. Good time for the split, as they were just spinning their wheels so it’s going to be interesting how this goes for all of them. In a perfect world, Heel Cole beats Finn at some point, then Kyle O’Reilly gets his big babyface victory moment over the man that stabbed him in the heart. Don’t know where Roddy goes, and Fish is never healthy anyways.
I don't know where Roderick Strong is going, but I can tell you where he ain't going. He ain't going Back™. Wherever "Back™" is, he ain't going there. Roderick Strong is a "Can't Go Back™" All-Star.

MSK vs GYV was a flashback to old NXT Tag clinics with The Revival and American Alpha. Great match. Good tag team wrestling is so much fun.
That was what I thought as well. Lots of back and forth. Classic tag team psychology, hot tags, comebacks, I knew MSK was going to win after it was clear after the first two matches this was going to be a good night for the heels, and yet it really felt like any team could win. Great match. I really don't like GYV, which frankly means they are great at their job.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
The Miz gets a small thank you run, I assume he quickly loses it to Lashley who will then fight Drew at Mania.

Personally, I’d let Miz keep it until Mania where he loses it to Damian Priest. Then Bad Bunny can make a music video with the WWE Champion in it, and BOOM. More mainstream exposure that any WWE Champion in recent memory and Priest is made a star.

I don't know Bad Bunny outside of his WWE appearance at Royal Rumble and SNL last night but my kid does so probably not the worst idea ever even if I'm not the DP mark you are. I am pretty sure Cyndi Lauper and Mr. T helped bring me in to the WWF.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
THE BIG SHOW is ALL ELITE.

I’m sure that’s a good get for them as a backstage man who the guys and girls love, I’m just glad as a non-AEW watcher I’ll never have to see him show up randomly anymore. Seems like a great guy. I just don’t want to see him on my TV anymore.

THE BIG SHOW is ALL ELITE.

I’m sure that’s a good get for them as a backstage man who the guys and girls love, I’m just glad as a non-AEW watcher I’ll never have to see him show up randomly anymore. Seems like a great guy. I just don’t want to see him on my TV anymore.
Good for him but I really don't get this at all. Nobody wants to see him on TV. AEW is always taking a step back every time they take a step forward. I don't want to see Sting, I don't want Paul Wight, Taz's role could frankly be portrayed by anyone, Jake the Snake is ok but again his spot could be anyone just the same, Arn and Tully at least make some sense in their roles. If their audience is older zoomers and young millenials wth with this?

SLAB

Hall of Famer
It’s hilarious. I’m on a wrestling message board elsewhere, and without fail anytime Big Show shows up in WWE (for years at this point!) he’s met with universal groans. The second he signs with AEW though? It’s an amazing signing he’s going to be great for them!

I just roll my eyes at the hoops some AEW stans jump through to justify “their” promotion.

Like the same with Sting taking bumps now. WWE is bad for clearing guys and putting health at risk for their gain, but Sting? That’s perfectly fine. It’s actually great!

Last edited:
Sting looks like my very late grandpa had put on face paint. Putting these guys in ring is dumb AF. Why didn't they go after Eli Drake? LA Knight or whatever he's calling himself is stupid but he can talk and he'd have slid right into what AEW is allegedly about.

I know I commented on that match which I was slow to get to but damn every time I see it. I'm pretty sure Vince can keep his money I think I'd need to take 5-10 for it to be life changing, and I'm not sure I need that.

I watch both Wednesday programs but NXT does in-ring focused product with a little bit of color so much better than AEW. Also when NXT brings someone back to their roster its someone ~30yo not someone who wrestled in WCW 30 years ago.

I still mostly like AEW but it really isn't as cool as it thinks it is.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
Big week next week for NXT.

Finn vs Cole for the NXT Title. Think Adam takes it, leads to Cole/KOR (maybe add Finn in a triple threat) at Takeover Mania. KOR wins at Mania.

Io vs Toni Storm for the Women’s Title. Io takes this. Toni ain’t the one to beat Io... I just don’t think shes that good. Someone new debuts after?

Regal with a major announcement following the women’s tag title nonsense. Hopefully NXT gets their own set of titles. Keep NXT in its bubble and completely away from the inferior “main” shows.

Taya coming in and will jump straight to the top of the women's program you have to think. I like Toni but I am struggling to see her win this unless Io wants time off. They also have a huge new recruiting class coming in and some of the others are vets while others are green. Will be interesting to see how it shakes out.

I think giving NXT a women's tag title would be solid. Their women's division is strong and they actually take tag wrestling seriously.