The Soccer Thread

I don't think there was a single European-based player on the team (without looking it up). Those teams are getting ready for the start of their season. Basically the same reason why we as Kings fans preferred that Domas didn't play for Lithuania this summer.

Last edited:
Call me crazy if that is what your hearts all desire, but I may actually end up convincing myself to wake up in a couple of hours to watch this match...

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
I'll probably be awake and watch the match strictly for the intrigue. This has the potential to be 2004 Men's basketball team or the complete end of the era where the USWNT is the crown jewel of the sport. I'm hoping it's just a reality check but the rest of the world is investing into WoSoc now (a great thing) and I do not know if the promise of full ride scholarships is enough to overtake the best clubs of the world's academy systems if they continue to invest.

dude12

Hall of Famer
Swedish keeper was awesome but what a horrid way to lose in penalties. Can't believe Smith couldn't seal it but Rapinoe should not have been in this game.
They deserve all the criticism coming their way. Agreed on Rapinoe. Alex Morgan was also very subpar. Maybe they can be defensive again when the talking heads bring the heat

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
Probably a loss that, objectively, needed to happen for the long-term health of the program but, man! I do not want to say something that sounds anything like I'm happy about this loss, because I absolutely do not want to be associated with the people who are, in any shape, form or fashion.

I'll probably be awake and watch the match strictly for the intrigue. This has the potential to be 2004 Men's basketball team or the complete end of the era where the USWNT is the crown jewel of the sport. I'm hoping it's just a reality check but the rest of the world is investing into WoSoc now (a great thing) and I do not know if the promise of full ride scholarships is enough to overtake the best clubs of the world's academy systems if they continue to invest.
Swedish keeper was awesome but what a horrid way to lose in penalties. Can't believe Smith couldn't seal it but Rapinoe should not have been in this game.
They deserve all the criticism coming their way. Agreed on Rapinoe. Alex Morgan was also very subpar. Maybe they can be defensive again when the talking heads bring the heat
Probably a loss that, objectively, needed to happen for the long-term health of the program but, man! I do not want to say something that sounds anything like I'm happy about this loss, because I absolutely do not want to be associated with the people who are, in any shape, form or fashion.
Sooooooooo, I was able to (barely) make my way out of bed in time for the opening kick.

I am glad that I was able to, but then I am also not glad that I was able to at the same time...

Compared to what the team has shown us down under heading into this match, this was, by far, their BEST performance of this World Cup, and basically the team that played this match was the team we were all expecting to see coming into the World Cup.

As great as Musovic was in goal for Sweden (and she was PHENOMENAL), don't forget how good Naeher was in goal for us as well. She played a huge role in why the match went to penalties to begin with. She was aggressive, and challenged balls that came her way.

As for the others...Alex Morgan, to me, was probably the most disappointing player of this World Cup. She did absolutely NOTHING out there, other than send some lazy attempts towards the net. To say that she annoyed the crap out of me is probably putting it very lightly.

Also, I agree that Rapinoe should have never seen the pitch in this match. Her overall effort also left a lot to desire.

Penalties were frustrating to watch, especially the few that were sent sailing over the net, or wide, or the one(s) that hit the post.

Generally speaking, I like the youngsters we have on the roster, and I hope they become the centerpiece of this team moving forward. I wouldn't mind seeing a youth movement for Team USA. Allow the veterans to hang them up, and bring up some young, and fresh, bodies.

We've been so dominant for such a long time that it is going to be difficult to see the national team struggle, but I do think that, at the end of the day, the struggles will end up being healthy for the team in the long run.

Disappointing result? Absolutely.
Is QWERTY surprised at the result? No, he is NOT surprised at all, especially considering how we had been playing coming into this match.
Still a stern USA supporter? You'd probably find me dead before you ever find me abandoning Team USA.

dude12

Hall of Famer
Fascinating reading the Twitter comments in regards to the coach, Rapinoe, Carli Lloyd criticism, Rapinoe reactions after the Portugal tie and then reaction after her missed penalty kick and performance in this game.

The team probably needs to get back and focus on soccer entirely and get the right people in there. Ertz retiring will hurt. Hire a better coach who can take advantage of the youth on the team and help them grow.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
Ok maybe I am biased because she plays in town, but why was Morgan at the 9 all tournament forcing Smith to play out of position on the wing the whole time. And then Vlatko finally shows her some respect by putting her in the closing spot of the 5 and I don't blame her for missing. Maybe if she had been allowed to play her natural position all tournament she'd have had more confidence and closed the door.

Also as sub-par as Morgan was, what was the point of pulling her for Pinoe when it was probably going to penalties? If anything she should have been a late sub IN.

And why was Pinoe taking free kicks when she was kicking them straight to the Swede's feet?

Actually looking forward to the Olympics, I hope that they turn the youth loose and don't make it a retirement tour for anyone who decides to hang on. Although I think Ertz could probably go for a while longer. Maybe she is just taking the loss hard and will be back?

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
We've been so dominant for such a long time that it is going to be difficult to see the national team struggle, but I do think that, at the end of the day, the struggles will end up being healthy for the team in the long run.
I am really hoping for a redeem team cycle but if we're being honest this past generation's legacy won't be equal pay in US men's vs. women's teams, it will be raising the profile of WoSoc world wide to where the greatest and most storied football clubs and their nations are taking the sport seriously and investing in it and making the Women's World Cup move from a WWF Hulk Hogan era storyline where USWNT have one credible threat every four years to a wide open tournament like it was this year. Reality is that some of the football powers didn't even let women play until recently. The path in the future is only going to get much harder. Title IX actually created a decades long advantage for us in the sport but I am not sure it can hold a candle to club development.

A very real problem moving forward is that the NWSL clubs pay their non NT players less than what a full ride at a top NCAA school runs in a year. How much they will have to invest in academies when even 2/3rds of the MLS clubs can't do that right is anyone's guess.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
I am really hoping for a redeem team cycle but if we're being honest this past generation's legacy won't be equal pay in US men's vs. women's teams, it will be raising the profile of WoSoc world wide to where the greatest and most storied football clubs and their nations are taking the sport seriously and investing in it and making the Women's World Cup move from a WWF Hulk Hogan era storyline where USWNT have one credible threat every four years to a wide open tournament like it was this year. Reality is that some of the football powers didn't even let women play until recently. The path in the future is only going to get much harder. Title IX actually created a decades long advantage for us in the sport but I am not sure it can hold a candle to club development.
I've been saying this for years about the men, and it has become true in the women's game, as well: the United States is one of five, maybe six, countries in the world where the best athletes in the country don't play soccer. Title IX gave the US a tremendous head start, but the rest of the world takes soccer so much more seriously, that they are all much better positioned to develop superior women's soccer programs, once they actually decided to allow their women to compete in sport.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
If you watch women's soccer for love of the sport then, sure, we're in a golden age. If you're in it for the tribalism...
I want the US to dominate in a competitive field. I'm a fan of the sport, and the team, and both the WNT & MNT. Sometimes I feel people try to force folks to pick a side. I'm team USA all the way during competition.