The Sabonis Thread

At this stage, Domas is really gunning for "Most Underrated Player in the NBA." The guy is basically averaging 20/13/8. That's insanity for a center. His scoring certainly doesn't jump off the page like Embiid's or even Jokic's, but not being one of the last two MVPs is hardly a crime. He's an All-NBA center, and he really should be an All-Star lock, as well.

At this stage, Domas is really gunning for "Most Underrated Player in the NBA." The guy is basically averaging 20/13/8. That's insanity for a center. His scoring certainly doesn't jump off the page like Embiid's or even Jokic's, but not being one of the last two MVPs is hardly a crime. He's an All-NBA center, and he really should be an All-Star lock, as well.
I think he will be in AS, because media and players should give him a propper votes

By efficiency Sabonis is currently no7 in NBA (and by assists too) :
1706297511934.png

Last edited:
Nice feature on Sabonis in The Athletic:

https://theathletic.com/5233957/2024/01/29/sacramento-kings-domantas-sabonis-interview/

A lot of the interview is devoted to his off-season work with Doug Christie. On the team at the halfway point of the season, he has this to say:

"[O]ur record isn’t what we think it can be. But we know we’ve dropped a lot of games where we’ve had full control. Just in this last week, the Phoenix and the Milwaukee (losses), those would have been two wins where we would have been up in fourth or fifth (place) or whatever it is, you know? It’s tough, because we know we are better. We’ve shown it. We just sometimes go through these mental lapses in games, which are very, very controllable. We know that. There’s other games where we’ve controlled it and ended up winning the game. So we’ve just got to stay mentally strong."

Nice feature on Sabonis in The Athletic:

https://theathletic.com/5233957/2024/01/29/sacramento-kings-domantas-sabonis-interview/

A lot of the interview is devoted to his off-season work with Doug Christie. On the team at the halfway point of the season, he has this to say:

"[O]ur record isn’t what we think it can be. But we know we’ve dropped a lot of games where we’ve had full control. Just in this last week, the Phoenix and the Milwaukee (losses), those would have been two wins where we would have been up in fourth or fifth (place) or whatever it is, you know? It’s tough, because we know we are better. We’ve shown it. We just sometimes go through these mental lapses in games, which are very, very controllable. We know that. There’s other games where we’ve controlled it and ended up winning the game. So we’ve just got to stay mentally strong."
Doug is right on the money here.

But according to “some”, he‘s a liability from the perimeter and a huge question mark that the KINGS should look to “upgrade”. :rolleyes:

“Some” really just need to wake up and recognize that their understanding of the game is beyond poor, no matter how much they enjoy following it.

Kind of disagree here :)
Better keep the high % instead of starting to shoot 3 after 3 and expect to continue with this numbers ...
He is pretty much taking only WIDE open 3s and that must be as a some small to add isntead of looking for it ...
My opinion of course
Well, your opinion happens to be correct. Less intelligent people fail to grasp that a third or even fourth factor might be influencing the percentage. for example: the sheer amount of attempts, or, the shot selection (which the frequency affects). And even if a larger amount of attempts yields a lower, but still impressive percentage, there are even other factors to consider for overall efficiency/productivity. But, unfortunately, since this referenced journalist / twitter bro has revealed himself to only be capable of one dimensional thought (he shoot good! must shoot more!) - I can't take any of his other comments on this or other topics seriously.

Like you point out - the high percentage is likely largely influenced by Sabonis' keen shot selection. He exhibits the same trait around the basket, which is why he shoots 60% overall, after all. Journalists be dumb. Journalists be really really dumb.

Last edited:
Well, your opinion happens to be correct. Less intelligent people fail to grasp that a third or even fourth factor might be influencing the percentage. for example: the sheer amount of attempts, or, the shot selection (which the frequency affects). And even if a larger amount of attempts yields a lower, but still impressive percentage, there are even other factors to consider for overall efficiency/productivity. But, unfortunately, since this referenced journalist / twitter bro has revealed himself to only be capable of one dimensional though (he shoot good! must shoot more!) - I can't take any of his other comments on this or other topics seriously.

Like you point out - the high percentage is likely largely influenced by Sabonis' keen shot selection. He exhibits the same trait around the basket, which is why he shoots 60% overall, after all. Journalists be dumb. Journalists be really really dumb.
That is so damn right , and you had not even read what ours are writting .... Its another level of stupidity ...
All i see from Sabonis at this time i like and i dont see any reason for him to change ... Yes maybe a little bit more shoots from mid range , but when he is not feeling it bette not take it ...
He is by far our best player so far in the season and i will be surpsied if i don't see him in the All-star game ...

Kind of disagree here :)
Better keep the high % instead of starting to shoot 3 after 3 and expect to continue with this numbers ...
He is pretty much taking only WIDE open 3s and that must be as a some small to add isntead of looking for it ...
My opinion of course
He doesn’t have to start jacking threes taking 2-3 a game is fine especially if he can hit a 37%. Opens up his game and teams might start defending it plus 2-3 will still be the open type. Look how many drive bus he’s getting already by doing his shot fake

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
Domas is gonna single-handedly drag this team into the playoffs, we just gotta hope everyone else figures out their ish before we get there

Sabonis has a few years on Keegan but there should def be some good years of overlap with both in their primes. Which is a terrifying idea if we get electro-Fox around for that
Not to take anything away from Sabonis -- who has been even better than last season which is saying a lot because he was already 3rd team All-NBA last season -- but I also haven't forgotten that Fox was carrying this team back in November with 30+ points a night, unbelievable 3pt shooting, 2 or 3 steals a game etc. while Sabonis wasn't quite locked in yet. I know it's a "what have you done for me lately" world and this is the Sabonis thread, but to say he's carried us this far single-handedly is a bit overstated I think. Fox going supernova for a month and discovering his 3pt shot and Keegan blossoming as an elite defender have also been huge factors in getting us to where we are.

Not to take anything away from Sabonis -- who has been even better than last season which is saying a lot because he was already 3rd team All-NBA last season -- but I also haven't forgotten that Fox was carrying this team back in November with 30+ points a night, unbelievable 3pt shooting, 2 or 3 steals a game etc. while Sabonis wasn't quite locked in yet. I know it's a "what have you done for me lately" world and this is the Sabonis thread, but to say he's carried us this far single-handedly is a bit overstated I think. Fox going supernova for a month and discovering his 3pt shot and Keegan blossoming as an elite defender have also been huge factors in getting us to where we are.
In general I agree, but you have to admit that Sabonis is the only one player in Kings team, who plays constantly good every game (with few exceptions). Any other player like Fox have big slumps and then some splashes.... We need stability from other players and I hope that after trade deadline players will start to do that.

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
In general I agree, but you have to admit that Sabonis is the only one player in Kings team, who plays constantly good every game (with few exceptions). Any other player like Fox have big slumps and then some splashes.... We need stability from other players and I hope that after trade deadline players will start to do that.
Sure, I can agree with that. Fox has been maddeningly inconsistent for his whole NBA career so far. It seems like most seasons there's been a month where he just doesn't look like himself and then he bounces back at the end of the year and looks like an All-Star again. It's really the last flaw in his game that he needs to correct. But then it should also be said that Fox was easily the best player on the floor for us in the playoffs last year against GS and Sabonis struggled in the last 3 games of that series when Fox was injured and we needed him to step up. I'm just trying to be balanced here. I don't like finger pointing after losses.