The REAL reason we suck

Not enough touching!

"In a paper due out this year in the journal Emotion, Mr. Kraus and his co-authors, Cassy Huang and Dr. Keltner, report that with a few exceptions, good teams tended to be touchier than bad ones. The most touch-bonded teams were the Boston Celtics and the Los Angeles Lakers, currently two of the league’s top teams; at the bottom were the mediocre Sacramento Kings and Charlotte Bobcats."

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/02/23/health/23mind.html?em

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Not to mention, and I was thinking this as I saw that yesterday and read their methodology, that good teams make more good plays. Good plays inspire high 5s ("touching") and chest bumps etc. There may in fact be a causal relationship there, but I think that cause and effect runs at least as much the other way -- play good = "touch" more. But its not necessarily touch more = makes you play good.

the most impressive team to me, when it comes to passing is the Megic.
they pass the ball to Howard, he usually gets double up, other wise he force himself in and scores.
when they double him up, he pass the ball to the other players that are standing on the 3 point line, now usually what happens is that one of the guards is running to the player with the ball to block his shot, but he leaves his man open so the guy with the ball is passing it to the open guy, and so it goes in a circle until some one is left wide open and scores (sure they have some great shooters in Orlando). that's how they kicked the Cavs *** last time.
we have another problem the ball usually starts to move only when we rich the 15 second mark (check it out next game), and then it force the players to take very difficault shots, and the resault is our FGP is awful.

Just can't get behind Tyreke at point guard. Doesn't feel right. Doesn't flow right. He can't carry a team and with him at point that's how the play tends to flow. Few touches. Poor movement and play making. Little development of a motion offense. Just Tyreke, dribble, dribble, drive. He's no point guard. But that is not likely to get fixed any time soon.

^ If you're not going to read the article, at least read the post.

Anyway, I don't know how this would go over in the lockeroom.
"You want more PT? Start touching."

^ If you're not going to read the article, at least read the post.

Anyway, I don't know how this would go over in the lockeroom.
"You want more PT? Start touching."
Hey Desert
Excuse me for missing your mark but i was just working off the post by Bricklayer suggesting that more 'touching' comes from better plays/playmaking. Thus the remark that a good point guard can inspire better movement and better play making. With recent talk about Kings players standing around while Tyreke does his thing i felt it was relative to the topic.

I thought the problem was our team sucks so much that even when Tyreke does pass his team mates keep passing and then the shot clock runs out, they brick a shot, or they commit a turnover. Really we should be thankful that Tryeke is even willing to still pass. Also I am not being sarcastic...

edit: response was to Nazman. On the article I agree with Bricklayer.

Last edited:
I thought the problem was our team sucks so much that even when Tyreke does pass his team mates keep passing and then the shot clock runs out, they brick a shot, or they commit a turnover. Really we should be thankful that Tryeke is even willing to still pass. Also I am not being sarcastic...

edit: response was to Nazman. On the article I agree with Bricklayer.
first the real big problem is the Defance, but i agree on one thing, Tyreke should start his move faster, he holds the ball with out doing a single move to much, if he will start his move sooner it will be better.
because some time when he pass the ball it is to late and it force a difficault shot on his team mates.
if you belive no one knows basketball in this team you are wrong, this team played great against the best in the league, and had some good games even when Tyreke was injured.
i hope he is not thinking like you, other wise our problems are just starting.
and don't get me wrong, Tyreke will be a big star and he is a smart kid who is getting better and fixxing his game all the time.

Well...we don't have a big man who would command double teams. Thing is the only way we're going to draw double teams is on Tyreke, and for him to do that he needs to penetrate. The drawback of this is he needs to dribble around for a long time waiting for an opening for him to drive. I assure you, alot of these problems we now see with Tyreke over dribbling and stuff well cease to exist in a few seasons time once he develops a respectable outside shot.

Patience.

Well...we don't have a big man who would command double teams. Thing is the only way we're going to draw double teams is on Tyreke, and for him to do that he needs to penetrate. The drawback of this is he needs to dribble around for a long time waiting for an opening for him to drive. I assure you, alot of these problems we now see with Tyreke over dribbling and stuff well cease to exist in a few seasons time once he develops a respectable outside shot.

Patience.
i agree with every word you said, don't get me wrong.

Not to mention, and I was thinking this as I saw that yesterday and read their methodology, that good teams make more good plays. Good plays inspire high 5s ("touching") and chest bumps etc. There may in fact be a causal relationship there, but I think that cause and effect runs at least as much the other way -- play good = "touch" more. But its not necessarily touch more = makes you play good.
That's some quality LSAT logic. Would that be called circular reasoning? I'm not completely sure what that logic flaw is called, I took that test too long ago.

You are probably correct.

However, a pat on the back also works wonders for a player's confidence, in himself and in his teammates, improving communication and rapport.

Don't underestimate the power you give someone when you tell them they did a good job, especially on a team sport where fluidity and presence of mind are so important.

Just can't get behind Tyreke at point guard. Doesn't feel right. Doesn't flow right. He can't carry a team and with him at point that's how the play tends to flow. Few touches. Poor movement and play making. Little development of a motion offense. Just Tyreke, dribble, dribble, drive. He's no point guard. But that is not likely to get fixed any time soon.
I think that Tyreke has all the tools to become a good point guard. I think that a 20 year old rookie isn't going to play like an instinctive 25 year old veteran in all ways. Give Evans time to learn the nuances and subtleties of the game, and his point guard skills will increase with experience. Point Guard is THE HARDEST position to learn in the NBA. It is essentially the QB of the team. So far, Evans has played well on individual skill and athleticism. He will learn more as he matures as an NBA player and will become a very good scoring point guard.

TIME! We have to give him TIME! It wont happen overnight. I am amazed at how poised and polished he is as a rookie, but there are things he needs to learn in order to be a Point Guard in the NBA. But he has ALL the tools necessary to become a VERY good point guard. The debate should not be IF he can become a point guard, but HOW LONG it will take him to figure it out and become an ELITE point guard. It really is only a matter of time. When he develops his jumper, the passing lanes will open up as will the lanes to the basket. He will learn when to pass and when to shoot.

I think that Tyreke has all the tools to become a good point guard. I think that a 20 year old rookie isn't going to play like an instinctive 25 year old veteran in all ways. Give Evans time to learn the nuances and subtleties of the game, and his point guard skills will increase with experience. Point Guard is THE HARDEST position to learn in the NBA. It is essentially the QB of the team. So far, Evans has played well on individual skill and athleticism. He will learn more as he matures as an NBA player and will become a very good scoring point guard.

TIME! We have to give him TIME! It wont happen overnight. I am amazed at how poised and polished he is as a rookie, but there are things he needs to learn in order to be a Point Guard in the NBA. But he has ALL the tools necessary to become a VERY good point guard. The debate should not be IF he can become a point guard, but HOW LONG it will take him to figure it out and become an ELITE point guard. It really is only a matter of time. When he develops his jumper, the passing lanes will open up as will the lanes to the basket. He will learn when to pass and when to shoot.
Nice post! Hope you are right. Kid is very talented.

Three years wasn't "quickly"...I loved the show and I am a fan of shows that get canceled quickly, but I have to admit that Fox did all that it could do for that show...it was canceled because people didn't watch it :( for once, the network isn't to blame here.

now back to basketball :D