The Player's Tribune: Life Goes On by Tyrese Haliburton

“I really, really, really was all in on Sacramento. And I wasn’t shy about it. I would tell people, straight up, “I want to be that next C-Webb for this city.” That was my whole mindset. I wanted to become one of those players who got drafted somewhere and built a legacy — on and off the court. I wanted to become someone the people of Sacramento knew was in their corner.”

You'll always be a King in my heart, Ty.

https://www.theplayerstribune.com/p...ba-basketball-sacramento-kings-indiana-pacers

Last edited:

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
Such a sad read. Really hated the trade when I first read it and still kinda wish he was still on the team to help us turn it around. Hope nothing but the best for him, except when we play Indiana.
It speaks volumes that I dismissed it out of hand for about 3 hours until I realized we might be getting a decent return and things are going to be ok, solely because of Tyrese Haliburton.

Considering that Indiana traded away all their good players and Myles Turner is injured. Hali is going to be the main guy and his stats are going to be really good and inflated this year in Indy.

He’s going to be putting up All-Star stats in Indy, because he will easily be their best player. His stat ascension will be rapid in Indy, much more so than it would had been in Sac sharing the ball with Fox. However, due to the lack of overall talent on Indy, their team won’t be winning many games anytime soon.

It really sucks to lose a guy like that.
It’s criminal.

Reality is I'm not sure any of the 2002 squad got a fairy tale ending.
They surely didn’t. But any knowledgeable sports fan with 20/20 vision from that time knows that team was a championship team.

Deep down I believe most the players know it too.

Which is why I firmly believe the topic is still brought up 20 years later.

Considering that Indiana traded away all their good players and Myles Turner is injured. Hali is going to be the main guy and his stats are going to be really good and inflated this year in Indy.

He’s going to be putting up All-Star stats in Indy, because he will easily be their best player. His stat ascension will be rapid in Indy, much more so than it would had been in Sac sharing the ball with Fox. However, due to the lack of overall talent on Indy, their team won’t be winning many games anytime soon.
depends on the draft spot they get. If Indiana gets a top 3 pick they could be very good very soon.

Indiana took the exact opposite strategy than we did. It will be interesting to see in 3 years the impact of those choices.

gunks

Hall of Famer
depends on the draft spot they get. If Indiana gets a top 3 pick they could be very good very soon.

Indiana took the exact opposite strategy than we did. It will be interesting to see in 3 years the impact of those choices.
This +1000

I have my fingers crossed this ends up win/win. It's already a win for Indy because Hali is a stud.

I like what McNair is doing now that he's making major moves. Fox/Sabonis is a potent offensive duo, and you can tell he is trying to put the right pieces around them....

...But this could still backfire in a major way if Sabonis dips in 2 years. McNair will probably get fired and leave us with Vivek and a crap roster. So same place we've been in since he "saved" the team.

Last edited:

Chris Duarte, TJ Warren, and Myles Turner are great pieces to have around Ty's skillset if they could all stay healthy. Oshae Brissett seems to be a year or two away from really blossoming. They could move Brogden if they want Ty to be ball-dominant or they could keep him around to support Ty, and by then Ricky Rubio, whom they got from the LeVert trade, should be back and I don't think there are many better to learn how to hold point from than Rubio.

But yeah, it'll be interesting to see how this Haliburton-centric system that we gave up on pans out. But even just the fact that he's now learning under Carlise, a legit championship winner with a tight grip, could be enough to really propel Haliburton.

This +1000

I have my fingers crossed this ends up win/win. It's already a win for Indy because Hali is a stud.

I like what McNair is doing now that he's making major moves. Fox/Sabonis is a potent offensive duo, and you can tell he is trying to put the right pieces around them....

...But this could still backfire in a major way if Sabonis dips in 2 years. McNair will probably get fired and leave us with Vivek and a crap roster. So same place we've been in since the gremlin "saved" the team.
yep we know it’s a better roster than a team devoid of any wings but it isn’t clear how much better.

is it only 9th draft spot better?
Play-in tournament only better?
Play-off first round exit better?
2nd round play-off better?

the answer isn’t clear to me yet. Some people I know think it’s the first option because the lack of shooting on the roster and Sabonis’s defensive issues…..

hoping they are wrong.

Chris Duarte, TJ Warren, and Myles Turner are great pieces to have around Ty's skillset if they could all stay healthy. Oshae Brissett seems to be a year or two away from really blossoming. They could move Brogden if they want Ty to be ball-dominant or they could keep him around to support Ty, and by then Ricky Rubio, whom they got from the LeVert trade, should be back and I don't think there are many better to learn how to hold point from than Rubio.

But yeah, it'll be interesting to see how this Haliburton-centric system that we gave up on pans out. But even just the fact that he's now learning under Carlise, a legit championship winner with a tight grip, could be enough to really propel Haliburton.
Yeah I wonder how well Turner will do in the pick and roll with Hali?

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude

Warren’s a free agent so there’s a good chance Tyrese never plays a second with him. Brogdan’ s probably getting shipped out in the summer and Rubio’s probably heading back to Cleveland in the off-season (most media seems to indicate so) and Indiana seems intent on moving Buddy too so it should be Tyrese’s show going forward (unless the Pacers have to pull a Kings and draft Jaden Ivey).

The thing about Rick Carlisle is that it’s his system or the highway. He’s largely shifted away from the classic offense he was running with Dirk in Dalls and is running five-out full time now, which is essentially what Tyrese was running with us in Sacramento and has probably made the transition easier for him. If Brogdan does come back, it’ll be interesting to see how Rick splits possessions since his variation of the five has largely been dominated by a single player (Luka) and the times he tried splitting touches between LeVert and Brogdan ended with the team struggling and trading their best player, who they kept refusing to get the ball to.

Last edited:

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
They surely didn’t. But any knowledgeable sports fan with 20/20 vision from that time knows that team was a championship team.
They were, but what I really meant about fairy tale ending was that with the exceptions of Vlade who uhhh ... died in a plane crash and Doug, they were all pretty much run out of town and for some of them it took a decade and new ownership to reconcile. And when we found out that Vlade survived the crash, he promptly uhhh, well he was tragically lost in a second, this time for good. Rip Vlade.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
Warren’s a free agent so there’s a good chance Tyrese never plays a second with him. Brogdan’ s probably getting shipped out in the summer and Rubio’s probably heading back to Cleveland in the off-season (most media seems to indicate so) and Indiana seems intent on moving Buddy too so it should be Tyrese’s show going forward (unless the Pacers have to pull a Kings and draft Jaden Ivey).

The thing about Rick Carlisle is that it’s his system or the highway. He’s largely shifted away from the classic offense he was running with Dirk in Dalls and is running five-out full time now, which is essentially what Tyrese was running with us in Sacramento and has probably made the transition easier for him. If Brogdan does come back, it’ll be interesting to see how Rick splits possessions since his variation of the five has largely been dominated by a single player (Luka) and the times he tried splitting touches between LeVert and Brogdan ended with the team struggling and trading their best player, who they kept refusing to get the ball to.
How are they gonna ship Buddy if he keeps shooting like he has since he arrived? honest question. If his value outside the Lakers was as a "this is the price of a young stud", he's buyout material. I wouldn't touch him ... maybe a team could just say, look, we'll give you the 3pm bonus no matter what if you can shoot over 35%.