The NFL Discussion Thread - 2011/12

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
I see what you're saying about the overload at WR, I just want Brady to have lots of targets to throw to this upcoming season. I really want the Pats to demolish the Jets this year. Let's hope Haynesworth works out cuz he could make the Pats D awesome.
I prefer they stay in the direction they went last year with a TE based possession offense with Ochocinco being the 2-3 big catch a game player Moss was before he started dogging it. What I don't want is for Brady to throw away entire series because he starts every first down with a shot down field. That was driving me crazy. When they were at their best, they played it simple and Brady was a "system QB" and "nothing special". He's proven the haters wrong and 2007 was an awesome ride up until the end but oh how that SB ruined me.

They will beat the Jets both games this year.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
Glad to see Ocho shipped off to another team. This was a long time coming, unfortunately it took too long for Mr. Brown to get rid of him but better late than never I guess. Haynesworth is a crap shoot, if he wants to play and stay conditioned, he can help the Pats out plenty. If playing with Bellichek won't do it, nothing will. All this talk that Nnamdi will end up with the Jets sure will make it fun to watch the two best corners in the game.

Texans got a solid DB by getting Jonathan Joseph, typical Bengals organization letting go of one of their promising young DB's. Sigh. Anyways, It's been a hell of a free agency so far.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
The Jets are already doing a game of chicken with the salary cap and if they get Aso I have to imagine they will hit the wall hard in 2 or 3 years and be ruined for a decade (they are banking on a new TV deal essentially doubling the salary cap with a bunch of backloaded guaranteed money). Unless their BFF Commish bails them out.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
Pats cut Ty Warren along with a few other notable names, Alge Crumpler, Tully Banta-Cain. Damn things move fast. I really thought Warren was going to be part of a huge 3 man front. Wonder what's coming next?

So for those who didn't see, the EAGLES land Asomugha. Asomugha and Rodgers-Cromartie, + Samuel. Wow. Not sure what defensive system they use, but can they really keep all 3? Seems like a situation where somebody's bound to whine about playing time.

Is Crumpler still a serviceable player? I know he used to be really good in his Falcons days..

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
Is Crumpler still a serviceable player? I know he used to be really good in his Falcons days..
I liked Crumpler but the Pats hit two home runs in last year's draft between Hernandez and Gronkowski so why do you need a third featured Tight End? Hernandez apparently got a bit of a pay day from Ochocinco in return for his jersey number. There's also rumors that Crumpler and the others were dumped to free up $10 million to make a run at Osi Umenyiora.

So glad the Jets didn't get Aso. Though cap wise it might have done more harm than good. Still I get sick of hearing them boast about winning the pre-season Super Bowl every year. For now they've just drastically over spent to keep Holmes and look to be losing a lot of 2nd tier players.

I prefer they stay in the direction they went last year with a TE based possession offense with Ochocinco being the 2-3 big catch a game player Moss was before he started dogging it. What I don't want is for Brady to throw away entire series because he starts every first down with a shot down field. That was driving me crazy. When they were at their best, they played it simple and Brady was a "system QB" and "nothing special". He's proven the haters wrong and 2007 was an awesome ride up until the end but oh how that SB ruined me.

They will beat the Jets both games this year.

I was about to mention that the Pats have so many TEs for Brady to throw to this season, and then all of a sudden they cut Crumpler. Maybe that'll give them room for Randy (on the cheap). I hear ya on the offense getting too pass happy, I just hope the Pats put up some good offensive numbers this year. I liked it when their offense was just destroying teams during the near perfect season.

The Pats have been my other favorite team to follow and I was heartbroken when Burress caught that pass in the SB. I remember just being bummed out for months after that game (it was like the Niners lost the SB). Nevertheless, I'm getting this feeling that the Pats will be very dangerous this year. And I just wanna see Rex Ryan's face (on my big screen) after the Pats whip their a$$es =o)

Oh, and thank you Nnamdi, for joining the Eagles! I really appreciate it!

Last edited:
Return to Glory, are you me? Lol

est.1999, are you a Niners/Pats fan too?!? Dude, it's been exciting following the Pats offseason. Belichick is really going after it. Meanwhile, Baalke & Harbaugh may be on vacation during the free agency period. In all seriousness though, I hope the Niners FO has some kind of plan because I'm not sure if signing Alex Smith for one year is enough to satisfy the fanbase.

What's funny is when I look at the Pats and how they've conducted football operations for the last decade or so, they remind me of the way the Niners used to be (during the wonderful eighties and nineties). Man, I wish Eddie D. could buy the team back. I wish Walsh could somehow return to the land of the living and coach the team again.

But I guess well just have to have our faith in Jed York and Jim Harbaugh . . . . . and see what happens from there =)

Last edited:
Lol, yup.

The Eddie D debacle has killed this franchise more than anything else. Seeing how well structured and run the Patriots are is a thing of beauty. Brady is my all time favorite player to watch.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
Season is about a month away, damn September needs to get here all ready I am ready for some real football. preseason is boring after the first quarter.

Was reading an article on NFL.com and did not realize that the NFC has had 10 straight different teams in the Super Bowl. That's amazing considering there's only 16 teams in the conference, and both the Falcons and Cowboys are not one of the 10 teams. I doubt that'd ever happen in any other sport. Gotta love the NFL

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
^^^ That def. is amazing and that goes to show you why NFL is the most popular sport in America. I mean every year you have different teams making the playoffs and pretty frequently you see different superbowl match ups which makes it unpredictable who's going to win it all. NBA needs to seriously get its ish together if it wants to even be in the same category as far as the NFL is concerned. Even when the NFL had a lockout, no body thought it would go past the preseason. With the NBA, it's such a mess that players are going overseas to make money and playing pick up ball at random places aroun the States.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
Sorry Supes. Saw a lot of talk it was coming. Hate to see things go down this way.

On the bright side, I hear Brett Favre may be available?

Sorry Supes. Saw a lot of talk it was coming. Hate to see things go down this way.

On the bright side, I hear Brett Favre may be available?
Go take a long walk off a short pier...

Seriously, I *know* you know how I feel, if no one else does. Except Colts fans thought this could never happen. After Favre missed a game last year, the talk immediately went to how many seasons Manning would have to play in order to beat the streak. There have been milestones calculated that he should have hit this year, starting in Week 1. There's challengers in the division. The team lost 8,000 man games to injury last season and still won 10 games, and should have won a playoff game. I was incredibly optimistic going into this season. I loved our draft. And so on.

Now this. And it's just gotten progressively worse over the past three weeks, starting with the Collins signing. Now, not only might he be out for the year, but this is a serious enough situation that he might never get back. And he's 35 years old. Thirteen years in the league. All kinds of all-time records in reach. So even compared to the Brady injury in 2008, when you knew he'd be back, it's a little more disappointing and discouraging, because the man's career is in jeopardy. And I'm being selfish; I can't even imagine how he must feel.

Yeah, sorry to hear about that Supes. Injuries suck, I think we can all relate to that. For what it's worth, I think Kerry Collins is a much better QB than he's given credit for. Unfortunately age may have caught up with him, and Indy's offense is basically structured around timing patterns.

FYI, it just said on the Packers-Saints pre-game that nobody thinks that this injury to Peyton is career threatening

Yeah, sorry to hear about that Supes. Injuries suck, I think we can all relate to that. For what it's worth, I think Kerry Collins is a much better QB than he's given credit for. Unfortunately age may have caught up with him, and Indy's offense is basically structured around timing patterns.

FYI, it just said on the Packers-Saints pre-game that nobody thinks that this injury to Peyton is career threatening
Now Houston Texans have a clear path to top of AFC South. Indy will be lucky to go 8-8 w/o Manning. Weaker Tennessee and weaker Jacksonville both with new QBs as well. Houston has one of the best, balanced offenses in NFL and with Wade Phillips as their new defensive coordinator I look for considerable improvement on D. I looked at Texans schedule and after last years odd 6-10 I think they go 10-6 or better and breeze to South title since for sure no Wild Card among others at or below .500.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
Go take a long walk off a short pier...

Seriously, I *know* you know how I feel, if no one else does. Except Colts fans thought this could never happen. After Favre missed a game last year, the talk immediately went to how many seasons Manning would have to play in order to beat the streak. There have been milestones calculated that he should have hit this year, starting in Week 1. There's challengers in the division. The team lost 8,000 man games to injury last season and still won 10 games, and should have won a playoff game. I was incredibly optimistic going into this season. I loved our draft. And so on.

Now this. And it's just gotten progressively worse over the past three weeks, starting with the Collins signing. Now, not only might he be out for the year, but this is a serious enough situation that he might never get back. And he's 35 years old. Thirteen years in the league. All kinds of all-time records in reach. So even compared to the Brady injury in 2008, when you knew he'd be back, it's a little more disappointing and discouraging, because the man's career is in jeopardy. And I'm being selfish; I can't even imagine how he must feel.
What has to be frustrating for you guys is it seems like management felt the same way. Kerry Collins as the extreme last minute back up plan? Yeah, I agree with SK7, he's probably better than you or I will give him credit for. But they should have at least had something like a plan B. It also seems that there was a rush to take him off the PUP list to get him ready to start week 1 to keep the Iron Man thing going and so now they either have to carry a dead roster spot or put him on the IR instead of re-evaluating at Week 6. Believe it or not a lot of Pats fans have been disappointed in how this has all been managed. Perhaps this current incarnation of the Jets has given us a little bit more respect for the mostly good natured rivalry with the Colts.

If you guys are bad enough there's always the top pick out of Stanford...

What has to be frustrating for you guys is it seems like management felt the same way. Kerry Collins as the extreme last minute back up plan? Yeah, I agree with SK7, he's probably better than you or I will give him credit for. But they should have at least had something like a plan B. It also seems that there was a rush to take him off the PUP list to get him ready to start week 1 to keep the Iron Man thing going and so now they either have to carry a dead roster spot or put him on the IR instead of re-evaluating at Week 6. Believe it or not a lot of Pats fans have been disappointed in how this has all been managed. Perhaps this current incarnation of the Jets has given us a little bit more respect for the mostly good natured rivalry with the Colts.

If you guys are bad enough there's always the top pick out of Stanford...
I'd rather have Matt Barkley, to be honest. But I'm not sure the best idea is to draft a quarterback in the first round and then stick him on the bench for three or four years. It could turn out great like Aaron Rodgers, or it could be a disaster. Most quarterbacks need to play to get better. But beyond that, we'll have a senior quarterback that will need more help than ever before if the team wants to win in the postseason. I don't know if I like the idea of using a first rounder on a player who isn't likely to see the field.

The flip side of that is maybe Manning will never be the same again. Dunno.

As for not already having a backup, I have no problem with the way they handled the situation. There was a lot of outcry about bringing in Collins so late, but he was pretty clear in his retirement statement that he didn't want to go through all the rigors of camp and OTAs and all that stuff. It was more of a pseudo-retirement than anything else. The signals were loud and clear that he'd come back at the right time if anyone would have a need. On top of that, what's the difference between bringing in a veteran quarterback for this offense two or three weeks sooner? Not a big one, if you ask me. No one can fill Manning's shoes, not with three weeks or three months. We know what Collins is capable of. He is what he is.

The Pats lucked out with Cassel, same as they lucked out with Brady. Both 6th round picks that weren't expected to play. Brady was obviously more talented, but it's not like they ever spent a high draft pick on a backup quarterback, nor did they sign anyone highly touted to man the spot. Why would a capable backup sign to hold Bledsoe's or Brady's water bottle every week? Same thing with Manning. The Colts went after Hasselbeck, who got a starting job in Tennessee for at least a year. They just aren't a destination for capable backup quarterbacks. Having an Iron Man qb is a gift and a curse. I'll take the tradeoff, though.

Maybe they should have kept him on the PUP list, but there was a significant setback after he practiced for a couple days. They had no way to truly evaluate him because PUP players can't practice. He did some serious throwing, and it became obvious that he needed more attention. Reports said there was numbness in the triceps, and the soreness in the back was also problematic. Would have never determined that if they didn't take him off PUP. Could have done it sooner and made a determination one way or the other before cut day, I guess. But I'm not sure you can activate someone from PUP and then put them back on. Rock and a hard place. The game day roster was expanded to 46 players. No real relief from the 53, but it at least makes game day a little easier in this situation. The Colts have two active quarterbacks, so they can use that 46th spot on a player, rather than an emergency quarterback, which is what a lot of teams will do.

Now Houston Texans have a clear path to top of AFC South. Indy will be lucky to go 8-8 w/o Manning. Weaker Tennessee and weaker Jacksonville both with new QBs as well. Houston has one of the best, balanced offenses in NFL and with Wade Phillips as their new defensive coordinator I look for considerable improvement on D. I looked at Texans schedule and after last years odd 6-10 I think they go 10-6 or better and breeze to South title since for sure no Wild Card among others at or below .500.
6-10 and it's a miracle.

The city really suffers. Had a chance for a hometown Super Bowl. That's gone. Had a chance for the longest NFL playoff streak ever. That's gone.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
My goodness the Packers are tearing apart the Saints defense. All three possessions they scored seven. Ridiculous New Orleans, gotta step up seriously!

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
I'd rather have Matt Barkley, to be honest.
That's the punchline :)

I am glad you are cool with how they handled Manning, I would be livid. Pats routinely have had quality backups, Cassel wasn't the only one. I do think the Colts inability in that area was more about cap management strategies than never getting to play. At worst you draft a guy with no expectations in the middle rounds and let him learn from one of the best. Or you get a guy who hasn't been able to stick as a starter and say come learn with us for a year or two and maybe you'll be ready somewhere else. Going after starters at the tail ends of their careers doesn't make sense.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
What a good game! But I don't understand why New Orleans went for a run, GB manhandeled them everytime on those short runs they were better off running the ball or dumping the ball off to the running back instead. None the less, fun, exciting game. I hate the kick off rule by the way.