The MMA thread

Since there's a wrestling thread and a boxing thread, I figured it'd be appropriate to make a UFC thread as well, since this is the only 1 of the 3 that I pay attention to.

Rampage and Georges St.-Pierre are my favorites, glad to see they're both doing well

I'm starting to doubt there's anybody out there that can beat Anderson Silva.
And what's up with Chuck Liddell lately?? The guy can't win a fight anymore. Ever since Rampage knocked him out, I don't think he's won since has he?

Current Title Holders

Heavyweight: Brock Lesnar

Light Heavyweight: Rashad Evans

Middleweight: Anderson Silva

Welterweight: Georges St-Pierre

Lightweight: BJ Penn

Any other UFC fans here?

Last edited:
no big fan here i been training muay thai for 4 years and bjj for a year grew up boxing but i go to hooters every ufc event.... question here who you got rashad vs loyto

Since there's a wrestling thread and a boxing thread, I figured it'd be appropriate to make a UFC thread as well, since this is the only 1 of the 3 that I pay attention to.

Rampage and Georges St.-Pierre are my favorites, glad to see they're both doing well

I'm starting to doubt there's anybody out there that can beat Anderson Silva.
And what's up with Chuck Liddell lately?? The guy can't win a fight anymore. Ever since Rampage knocked him out, I don't think he's won since has he?

Current Title Holders

Heavyweight: Brock Lesnar

Light Heavyweight: Rashad Evans

Middleweight: Anderson Silva

Welterweight: Georges St-Pierre

Lightweight: BJ Penn

Any other UFC fans here?

chuck beat wand after rampage

He's old. That's it. He can still pack a punch, but it's plain to see his body can't hold up like it has been, and his defense is not like before. He's been out hustled and outworked. If I were him I'd retire. Don't pull a Shamrock...

By the way what's up with the heavyweight division. Lesnar? Seriously? I know guy is a beast and former all state wrestler but I can't believe there is not one seriously well round MMA Heavyweight out there.

I don't think Lesnar's gonna hold it for long. I actually like Lesnar, but he's got a lot to learn about the UFC yet. Problem is like you said, I'm not sure who's gonna beat em.

Oh, and I got Rashad taking Lyoto, although I haven't seen him fight too much. Rampage is gonna take the title back from Rashad ;)

Not much else interests me on the next card besides that though. I think Serra's gonna take Hughes, and I like Sean Sherk a bit, so hope he wins

I got the full game and its great, even for a casual fan still trying to get the hang of all the moves and positions. I'm even getting some use out of my PS3 now since the 360 version was sold out at Blockbuster which has a pretty sweet promotion going on right now - when you buy the game you also get any $14.99 or under UFC DVD (I bought the 2008 Best of), a $10 BB gift card and $10 coupon code for your next UFC PPV.

Awesome deal pdx. I've played the demo a nice bit, and still finding it hard to get used to some controls. I've had a few knockouts in under a minute though :).

Anybody catch UFC 98 last night? I didn't but looking at the results on UFC.com. To be honest, I'm not too familiar with a lot of these fighters. I was shocked to see Sherk lose, and glad to see Matt Hughes beat Serra. And Evans got knocked out by Machida. Don't know much about him but he's 14-0, I may have to check him out

SLAB

Hall of Famer
I was SURE that Evans was going to KO Machida. I didn't think he had a chance.

I think Rampage now has the next shot at Machida, and again I will be shocked if Rampage doesn't maul him.

And I agree about Hughes. Serra came off as a whiny little tool in the pre-show. So you have different personalities? Yeah, so Im going to cry into a camera for a good half hour.
I wanted to see him get KO'ed or submitted so badly. At least he lost.

And I love the UFC game, but their are 2 changes that NEED to be made for the next one.
1: The submission system: Either have a exact imput, ie: For an armbar crank down on the joystick, like one cranks back on the arm, or someting more specific than MASH THE FACE BUTTONS!111 And if it's a mash fest, you have to add a meter. IT just come off as too random. Sometimes I tap the oponent or get tapped in the first round with no damage done, while other times I easily escape in the third round of a brawl.

2: To many KOs. Every single fight ends in a KO unless I put forward an effrt NOT to KO the computer. I love KOing people, but I think they should be more special than expected.

Overall, I give it an 8/10 with potential to be a 10/10.

And I love the UFC game, but their are 2 changes that NEED to be made for the next one.
1: The submission system: Either have a exact imput, ie: For an armbar crank down on the joystick, like one cranks back on the arm, or someting more specific than MASH THE FACE BUTTONS!111 And if it's a mash fest, you have to add a meter. IT just come off as too random. Sometimes I tap the oponent or get tapped in the first round with no damage done, while other times I easily escape in the third round of a brawl.
The "shining" the right joystick method works better than mashing for me. I had a bummer match last night where I was dominating and got submitted one second before the horn in the 3rd.

I didn't watch the card but I also did a Evans-Machida match and wound up getting ko'd in the second by Machida... Then I went and checked the results and found out it went pretty similar. I thought that was cool.

You're right though about too many knockouts in the game, but almost every fight game is like that and I love the way this works compared to your average boxing game where you knock the guy down every round or so and eventually get a stoppage after the 8th knockdown. Love the flash KOs, especially when they are because I got stupid. That's actually how I got armbarred and lost with 1 second left in my last match last night - I figured I was up huge so I'd just take it to the ground and maintain position. Whoops.

I was SURE that Evans was going to KO Machida. I didn't think he had a chance.

I think Rampage now has the next shot at Machida, and again I will be shocked if Rampage doesn't maul him.

And I agree about Hughes. Serra came off as a whiny little tool in the pre-show. So you have different personalities? Yeah, so Im going to cry into a camera for a good half hour.
I wanted to see him get KO'ed or submitted so badly. At least he lost.

2: To many KOs. Every single fight ends in a KO unless I put forward an effrt NOT to KO the computer. I love KOing people, but I think they should be more special than expected.

Overall, I give it an 8/10 with potential to be a 10/10.
The title is coming back to Rampage :).

And yes, Serra is an idiot. Like I said, I'm also a fan of GSP, so I've seen those fights, and Serra is the biggest idiot in UFC. I'm glad he's gettin his butt whooped.

Lookin forward to UFC 100 and 101, looks like there's gonna be some good fights. UFC 101 has Anderson Silva fighting Forrest Griffin, so I guess Silva got sick of beating up the Middleweights and is moving up a class

What another crappy night for Sacramento

The Lakers win and Urijah Faber loses :(

We didn't even watch overtime so we could see the Faber fight. Sucks that he broke his hand in the first round. That thing looked nasty when the gloves came off.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
Im sad Faber lost tonight.

No doubt that if he actually had hands for the last 4 rounds he would have taken it.

I agree with KenFlo, I want to see Faber/Brown 3.
It would probably be best for WEC to make it happen as well.

That was a hell of a fight tonight.

KO of the night: Jose Also crushing Cub Swanson's face in... In only 8 seconds! :eek: Could have been called in 4, but ref let a few punches in before calling it.

Yeah, Brown really didn't impress me tonight, Faber would have probably won going away if he hadn't broke his hand. But that's how it goes. We may have to wait awhile for #3 because I think Aldo may take out Brown first.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
It sucks, because Faber would have closed in the guillotine in the 5th had he had some hands.
Brown got lucky.

He had him...

Im sad Faber lost tonight.

No doubt that if he actually had hands for the last 4 rounds he would have taken it.

I agree with KenFlo, I want to see Faber/Brown 3.
It would probably be best for WEC to make it happen as well.

That was a hell of a fight tonight.

KO of the night: Jose Also crushing Cub Swanson's face in... In only 8 seconds! :eek: Could have been called in 4, but ref let a few punches in before calling it.

All I know is Faber and his fans now have yet another excuse for him he lost faber will be back though First thing they show in his post fight interview is the broken hand..

Riggs dominated Baroni last night with two broken hands. Varner whooped on Cerrone with several injuries until the illegal knee. I could go on, but the fact is mid-fight injury is a part of the game and it doesn't taint the win/loss in any way whatsoever.

look up strikeforce from last night riggs vs baroni

I'm not making excuses for Faber, I'm saying Brown failed to impress. Brown deserved the win but Faber showed more in losing even if he couldn't make the adjustments to close the deal.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
Im not discounting the win at all.
Mike Brown won the fight fair and square.

I just want to know what would happen had Faber not broken his hands.

I hope Brown breaks Aldo and any other challenger to set up Brown/Faber 3 later this year.

Fight 1: Flukeish win following Faber's moronic striking attempt.
Fight 2: Clear win for Brown
Fight 3: WEC's best fight ever.

I'm not making excuses for Faber, I'm saying Brown failed to impress. Brown deserved the win but Faber showed more in losing even if he couldn't make the adjustments to close the deal.
i feel you... you watch strike force last night?

can the person swith the thread name to mix martial arts instead of ufc

Yes I watched Strike Force on Saturday night, I don't really think comparing the fight to the Riggs-Baroni fight is very relevant because of the difference in the level of competition involved.

Im not discounting the win at all.
Mike Brown won the fight fair and square.

I just want to know what would happen had Faber not broken his hands.

I hope Brown breaks Aldo and any other challenger to set up Brown/Faber 3 later this year.

Fight 1: Flukeish win following Faber's moronic striking attempt.
Fight 2: Clear win for Brown
Fight 3: WEC's best fight ever.

Brown's first win over Faber, when he knocked Faber out, was dismissed as a fluke... because when the champion gets knocked out cold by the challenger it's always a fluke. haha

ok than Forrest Griffin fought a five round fight with a broken hand and won so there you go
All that I am saying is that if Brown is supposed to be the real deal I expected more from him facing a gimpy guy for 4 rounds. He lost round 1 though it was almost even but couldn't capitalize with a huge advantage. If Faber had any power on those elbows or could have cinched the numerous guillotines he had close to locked up it would have been a different story. Brown won the rounds he did practically by default. If you could score "courage" or somehow factor in the way Faber coped with the injury I think you'd give him those rounds. But you can't, so he lost. As it was there were at least 3 other fighters tonight that were more impressive than Brown in their victories, one of which he'll likely face next.

Brown's first win over Faber, when he knocked Faber out, was dismissed as a fluke... because when the champion gets knocked out cold by the challenger it's always a fluke. haha

Dude, that was a total fluke. Urijah ran his head into Brown's arm.

Then Urijah busts his hand in the first round and Mike Brown does a big "meh" for the rest of the fight. If Brown was a real champion, he would have rained hell on Urijah and the fight would have been called by the refs. What kind of champion can't KO or TKO a one-handed man?

SLAB

Hall of Famer
Bobby Lashley defeats Bob Sapp in the first round via Tapout due to punches.

So, Lashley is now 4-0 and handled his 'best' competition easily.
Question...

Is Lashley going to be legit?

Or is Sapp even more of a joke I thought he was?

And is there ever a chance for every WWE fans dream of Lesnar/Lashley headlining UFC109!?
:p