• Heat in 4

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Heat in 5

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

dude12

Hall of Famer
You'll have to pardon me if I'm skeptical of people who present anecdotes as if they were data. But, even giving the benefit of the doubt (which I have no particular inclination to do), I feel like it begs some follow-up questions, because I don't take it as a given that those are actually "multiple" reasons: "Some are on to other stuff..." What they moved on to isn't important, but moving on to other stuff is not a reason, it's an outcome. Why now? What's changed between when you were watching and now, that made you decide to move on? "LeBron is a turn-off." So, does that mean that they haven't watched the Finals since 2010? And, if they have watched the Finals in the last decade, what's changed? It's not like LeBron just started being LeBron, this season. What's LeBron doing now, that he wasn't doing, say... five years ago?

But, all that aside, saying that there are "multiple reasons" why people stopped watching is a tautology, and tautologies are only good answers for people who like tautologies: it's making a declarative statement about something, that does not have to be pointed out to reasonable people, because it's self-evident. The only people who need to have it explained to them that there are multiple reasons why people aren't watching are the people who think that there is a singular reason why people aren't watching. Which is, to say, simple-minded people.
Orrrrrr....maybe the people I know are not watching for various reasons.....and said people tend to watch the nba finals. Politics, social justice messages, Lebron, baseball playoffs, just not interested, football,

I stopped watching the nba finals....just don’t give a damn. Many of my buddies also havent watched. Various reasons for each of us. Some refuse to watch because of the politics. Some are On to other stuff. Some are just not into watching Lebron....he’s a turn off.
The product is bad than throw in the politics to go along with the AAU buddy system it’s turned too and you get this

You'll have to pardon me if I'm skeptical of people who present anecdotes as if they were data. But, even giving the benefit of the doubt (which I have no particular inclination to do), I feel like it begs some follow-up questions, because I don't take it as a given that those are actually "multiple" reasons: "Some are on to other stuff..." What they moved on to isn't important, but moving on to other stuff is not a reason, it's an outcome. Why now? What's changed between when you were watching and now, that made you decide to move on? "LeBron is a turn-off." So, does that mean that they haven't watched the Finals since 2010? And, if they have watched the Finals in the last decade, what's changed? It's not like LeBron just started being LeBron, this season. What's LeBron doing now, that he wasn't doing, say... five years ago?

But, all that aside, saying that there are "multiple reasons" why people stopped watching is a tautology, and tautologies are only good answers for people who like tautologies: it's making a declarative statement about something, that does not have to be pointed out to reasonable people, because it's self-evident. The only people who need to have it explained to them that there are multiple reasons why people aren't watching are the people who think that there is a singular reason why people aren't watching. Which is, to say, simple-minded people.
Haven't you yourself argued that the numbers might not be accurate. That there are other ways to watch that would not be included in the numbers that had been given earlier. So now your saying it is self-evident that the viewers have dropped?

Do you know the individuals he was referring to? Neither do I. So the snark about follow-up questions is sort of uncalled for.

There have been assertions that the drop off in viewership is because of this or that reason. An observation that it is not simply black and white is just that, an observation. I am not certain why you would have a problem with that.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
Haven't you yourself argued that the numbers might not be accurate.
No, I haven't. I've never said that the numbers weren't accurate, I said that they didn't tell the whole story. You may possibly be mistaking my pointing out that the ratings don't take streaming into account for an argument that the numbers themselves were not accurate.

That there are other ways to watch that would not be included in the numbers that had been given earlier. So now your saying it is self-evident that the viewers have dropped?
Uh... no. I'm saying that it's self-evident that there are multiple reasons why the numbers have dropped. Is my messaging really that unclear on this?

It didn't need to be stated (or, rather, re-stated: it had already been stated) that there are multiple reasons for the ratings drop, because everybody ought to understand that: the only people who need to be told that there are multiple reasons for the ratings drop are the people who don't think that there are multiple reasons for the ratings drop, like the "Get Woke, Go Broke" people. It added nothing to the conversation, is all.

EDIT - In other words, people like this guy. Maybe he needs somebody to hold his hand, and have it spelled out for him that there are multiple factors affecting ratings. The rest of us shouldn't need that.

Do you know the individuals he was referring to? Neither do I.
From my point of view, that gives me even less reason to give them the benefit of the doubt.

So the snark about follow-up questions is sort of uncalled for.
:: shrugs ::

I'll bee dat.

There have been assertions that the drop off in viewership is because of this or that reason. An observation that it is not simply black and white is just that, an observation. I am not certain why you would have a problem with that.
What I have a problem with are people who re-state the obvious as if they are contributing to an ongoing discourse. I have been guilty of the same practice myself, multiple times, but I don't labor under the delusion that I'm advancing the discussion, while I'm doing it.

Last edited:

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
Orrrrrr....maybe the people I know are not watching for various reasons.....and said people tend to watch the nba finals. Politics, social justice messages, Lebron, baseball playoffs, just not interested, football,
Oh, don't misunderstand me, I absolutely believe that those are the reasons your friends aren't watching. I question the notion that LeBron would be the reason why someone stopped watching in 2020, if they were still watching in 2016, but I still believe it.

I'd be curious to know whether those of your friends who aren't watching the Finals because of "politics" or "social justice messages" have any thoughts on the declining ratings of the Triple Crown?

No, I haven't. I've never said that the numbers weren't accurate, I said that they didn't tell the whole story. You may possibly be mistaking my pointing out that the ratings don't take streaming into account for an argument that the numbers themselves were not accurate.

Uh... no. I'm saying that it's self-evident that there are multiple reasons why the numbers have dropped. Is my messaging really that unclear on this?

It didn't need to be stated (or, rather, re-stated: it had already been stated) that there are multiple reasons for the ratings drop, because everybody ought to understand that: the only people who need to be told that there are multiple reasons for the ratings drop are the people who don't think that there are multiple reasons for the ratings drop, like the "Get Woke, Go Broke" people. It added nothing to the conversation, is all.

From my point of view, that gives me even less reason to give them the benefit of the doubt.

:: shrugs ::

I'll bee dat.

What I have a problem with are people who re-state the obvious as if they are contributing to an ongoing discourse. I have been guilty of the same practice myself, multiple times, but I don't labor under the delusion that I'm advancing the discussion, while I'm doing it.
Go look at the last or near last post in the other thread about comments. That post is a reason to like the observation that there are multiple reasons. And his post in fact added multiple posts to the conversation even if you do want to belittle it and anyone who liked it.

I'd be curious to know whether those of your friends who aren't watching the Finals because of "politics" or "social justice messages" have any thoughts on the declining ratings of the Triple Crown?
My cynical guess would be that without the who is who not being being present takes away some of the attraction of watching.... not to watch them (?) but to be part of something that they are a part of. But what do I know, horse racing is not something that I can get into.

dude12

Hall of Famer
Oh, don't misunderstand me, I absolutely believe that those are the reasons your friends aren't watching. I question the notion that LeBron would be the reason why someone stopped watching in 2020, if they were still watching in 2016, but I still believe it.

The triple crown, as in the horse racing triple crown? If that’s it, those friends don’t really care about it. I wonder if you have a hard time with those people who won’t watch because of the politics/social justice aspects. And to be clear, that is not me, I choose to ignore that part of my entertainment watching. But those that I know who have refused to watch, they are adamant as of right now. The Lebron James angle is based on the perception that the league wants the Lakers to win and the mindset is the refereeing in the previous games appears to be going in that direction. And the ire of that perception is Lebron James. But overall there are a lot of things involved. Me, I’ll be watching baseball instead of the NBA tonight.

https://www.tigerdroppings.com/rant...ntucky-derby-too-much-sjw-signaling/91712569/

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
Go look at the last or near last post in the other thread about comments. That post is a reason to like the observation that there are multiple reasons. And his post in fact added multiple posts to the conversation even if you do want to belittle it and anyone who liked it.
I saw it: it seems likely that you started typing this, before I'd finished editing my post, based on the fact that the post that you quoted does not include my edits.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
The triple crown, as in the horse racing triple crown? If that’s it, those friends don’t really care about it.
Indeed. Where do they stand on the UFC?

I wonder if you have a hard time with those people who won’t watch because of the politics/social justice aspects.
I'm not clear on what you mean by "hard time," but I'm going to preemptively answer yes.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
You had to "look up" the UFC? Sport's been around for twenty years, has been promoted all over ESPN for the past two years, ever since they paid a boatload of cash for it, and you've, what, never heard of it?

It'd almost be more believable if you told me you had to "look up" the WNBA.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
Following this game with the LeBatard and Friends Twitch livestream has been very enjoyable. Helping to take the sting out of that Aces loss.

dude12

Hall of Famer
You had to "look up" the UFC? Sport's been around for twenty years, has been promoted all over ESPN for the past two years, ever since they paid a boatload of cash for it, and you've, what, never heard of it?

It'd almost be more believable if you told me you had to "look up" the WNBA.
Interesting that you are in disbelief. I don’t watch nor follow any of that. Am I supposed too? Why should I know that?

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
Interesting that you are in disbelief. I don’t watch nor follow any of that. Am I supposed too? Why should I know that?
I don't find it at all unbelievable that you don't follow it I find it slightly unbelievable that you've never heard of it, as someone who's posting on a sports message board.

I've heard of at least a dozen sports leagues that I don't follow, and will never watch... but, I've heard of them.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
The funnest part of this Twitch is how the EP for the LeBatard show is a diehard Heat homer, but he's also a degenerate gambler.

He had juice on -6.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude

Too many horses kneeling during the national anthem.