[The Athletic] Dumars has no interest in being the long-term head of basketball operations, and will not be a candidate in the search.

I was referring to the airing of dirty laundry in a public forum, the bashing of his players directly and indirectly, and the whole spat with Williams. I agree that lame duck coaching is not ok. But he had a year left on his contract with us iirc. Also he intentionally tanked a game many Kings fans were desperate to win (a game I nearly bought tickets to) and I have pretty strong questions about his final 20 games overall in which I think he may have just thrown a tantrum over Barnes and gave everyone a finger on the way out.
Were you going to fly up to Portland for that game?

39 or 40 wins doesn't mean much to me. Still a non playoff team.

From what I understand, on the day of the game, Joerger was informed to expect to be fired the following day. And yes, he did indeed, tank that game.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Were you going to fly up to Portland for that game?

39 or 40 wins doesn't mean much to me. Still a non playoff team.

From what I understand, on the day of the game, Joerger was informed to expect to be fired the following day. And yes, he did indeed, tank that game.
pdxKingsFan lives in Portland. (PDX stands for Portland International Airport...)

False
Jason Jones -after confirming with multiple sources, reported last week, that the decision to fire Malone was Vivek's alone. Jones added that Pete being the good soldier, took the blame for it and didn't go about correcting the mis-information. It was always Vivek.

These employees want to work in the league again, so they don't throw the owner/previous owner under the bus. Did Vlade, upon being fired, throw the owner under the bus. No. Why? because Vlade, as he stated to Marco Breton, wants another crack at being an NBA GM.
Oh please

All Pete did was throw people under the bus behind the scenes. This revisionist history simply wont do

So is Dumars making the call on Buddy or what there’s no way we go into next year with Buddy/Bogi. And keeping Buddy means he has to start or he won’t shut up

I think the new GM will wait to get the lay of the land before making any major moves while tanking next year. This means we will keep Buddy since we already made a commitment to him and let Bogdan walk. He can also use next year to feature Buddy prominently and build his value for any possible trades in the future. I think we will let all free agents, rfas, options go (Bjelica, Baze, etc..)

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I think the new GM will wait to get the lay of the land before making any major moves while tanking next year. This means we will keep Buddy since we already made a commitment to him and let Bogdan walk. He can also use next year to feature Buddy prominently and build his value for any possible trades in the future. I think we will let all free agents, rfas, options go (Bjelica, Baze, etc..)
I think you're assuming facts not in evidence.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
yes, i'm thinking thats what he/she will choose to do. we don't know who they will be yet, so we cannot take their personal philosophy/history in account, so I'm guessing.
I'm thinking NO team is going to tank after everything that's been going on if they expect to ever get fans back in the seats. They're going to have to do their best to put a product on the court people will be willing to pay to watch. They've lost too much money already to do anything else.

I'm thinking NO team is going to tank after everything that's been going on if they expect to ever get fans back in the seats. They're going to have to do their best to put a product on the court people will be willing to pay to watch. They've lost too much money already to do anything else.
I actually think next year would be the perfect season to tank. Teams are going to be bleeding money regardless of whether there is a winning product on the floor. A vaccine may be available by Q1 2021, but it likely won't be available for everyone until much later. Plus just the general apprehension of going to a game, indoors, with 20,000 or so other people.

The Western Conference has so many good teams that the Kings record will not be very good anyhow. Unless the following happens.

I'm seeing the Kings with a new GM, Front Office and coaching staff next season (Hope springs eternal:) Hopefully one of the young up and comers from a winning organization comes in as GM and he brings in a coach like Jay Wright. Bagley stays healthy and the Kings find a player or two in the draft. Perhaps a key trade or signing. And the team just clicks:) However unlikely it is possible. There is always hope which is why we Kings Fans keep coming back:)

I also can see a scenario where the new GM trades half the team and things take a while to gel:)

"Although the dates may be moved, the draft is currently set for Oct. 16, with free agency getting underway two days later. There have been indications out of Sacramento that the search will be lengthy, and a new GM might not be in place in time. A source tells Anderson that potential candidates “don’t want ownership of those decisions” if they aren’t able to make them."
https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nb...-finding-a-new-gm/ar-BB18vxA0?ocid=uxbndlbing

So are we better getting new GM in September? or Let Dumars run draft and FA?

dude12

Hall of Famer
"Although the dates may be moved, the draft is currently set for Oct. 16, with free agency getting underway two days later. There have been indications out of Sacramento that the search will be lengthy, and a new GM might not be in place in time. A source tells Anderson that potential candidates “don’t want ownership of those decisions” if they aren’t able to make them."
https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nb...-finding-a-new-gm/ar-BB18vxA0?ocid=uxbndlbing

So are we better getting new GM in September? or Let Dumars run draft and FA?
A total Kangz move to not hire a GM in time for the draft further depleting our pool of quality candidates. Literally makes no sense for potential candidates whose team is still In the playoffs. It’s not like they are playing the games.

A total Kangz move to not hire a GM in time for the draft further depleting our pool of quality candidates. Literally makes no sense for potential candidates whose team is still In the playoffs. It’s not like they are playing the games.
Hiring a GM is not something you rush. Actually rushing and making a panic move is the most Kangz move of all time. The list is endless.

So if we are waiting until spring to take a slow , get expert GM search companies, Interview bunch of candidates
I agree with the article it would be bad for Dumars makes a bunch of long term moves that the new GM has to live with it could impact
the GM candidates wanting to come here.

So then that would indicate to me that Dumars is going to :

Keep the 12th Pick in draft.
Dumars wont use up assets to move up in draft this year.
If trades are made (Such as Buddy) it will be for enders and Future draft picks to give new GM
flexible financial cap space and future Picks for New GM to use.
FA this year Dumars will be real cheap, Other than /Fox extension
he will only spend up to the min payroll with short term contracts only - Why?
Vivek and owners are bleeding money
More salary available for future GM
more roster spots for new GM to fill
We will really suck (Tank) 20-21 season as a result of the above
(Higher draft pick 2021 for new GM)

I guess what I am saying is if we are going to get a new GM
with a long-term vision/rebuilding plan that we want
Vivek and Dumars need to "Clear the Deck" and give
the New GM: Money, Roster spaces, and Draft picks

What good is a new GM, If he has no cap space, no good draft picks, no roster spaces
for him to work on his new "Vision for the Kings Future"

dude12

Hall of Famer
Hiring a GM is not something you rush. Actually rushing and making a panic move is the most Kangz move of all time. The list is endless.
True on not rushing but at the same time, I don’t think it’s rushing to hire before the draft. If potential candidates are interested, the interviews should be set up now, go through the process, make your decision. These are unprecedented times, they need go through this process with a purpose and That goes for the company the Kings hired to guide through this process. Time is short, don’t rush but don’t miss out on a most important hire. I mean if a Bobby Webster is a candidate but won’t interview if he can’t draft the players this year, he should already be interviewing.......we going to lose out on a guy like that? I think missing out on him or other similar young successful guy is potentially damaging and keeps us in the vortex.

Otherwise, we may get stuck with a guy like Scott Perry because he’s willing to wait and he’s willing because of the crap show inNew York.

If the season starts in December, I would expect a GM by then. I do expect that we won't be granted interviews with some candidates until the playoffs are complete, although maybe the rules are slightly different since they may not have active in-game roles. Still, it could be considered a distraction for some front offices that they would prefer we hold off until the season is officially over.

Honest to god the 20-21 season is probably going to be a joke, if there was ever one year to officially tank before it even started, do it the time you're probably going to have to refund your season ticket holders anyways.

I'm sure with that in mind, Dumars is under orders not to do anything long-term or dumb.

dude12

Hall of Famer
I forgot to mention that we already have several strikes against us.

Walton is not going to be fired the first year so a new GM can’t bring in his own guy. We continue with our trend of doing things assbackwards and don’t learn from these mistakes which we commit over and over....not enticing.

We might waste a year, because of the above, if new GM thinks it’s warranted to tear it down except for a few core guys....not enticing

Ownership is known to meddle....not very enticing.

I mean if a Bobby Webster is a candidate but won’t interview if he can’t draft the players this year, he should already be interviewing.......
If Bobby Webster is your top candidate, odds are he can't interview until Toronto is eliminated. Which may be next week, it may be next month. The draft is October 16. Let's say they beat Boston and then lose. You could maybe rush this hire and have it sealed in the September 20s, 3 weeks before the draft. Do you think that is adequate?

BTW, I'd be extremely irritated if we didn't interview Bobby Webster, unless he flat out refused the request.

That's why I'm pretty ok with taking time to nail this, even if it means next season, that right now when I couldn't care less about sports than I have any time in my entire life since I was 5, is a throwaway.

dude12

Hall of Famer
If Bobby Webster is your top candidate, odds are he can't interview until Toronto is eliminated. Which may be next week, it may be next month. The draft is October 16. Let's say they beat Boston and then lose. You could maybe rush this hire and have it sealed in the September 20s, 3 weeks before the draft. Do you think that is adequate?
We don’t know who the candidates are, we don’t know who has said what, but if some of the young guys like a Bobby Webster have stated they would want to make their picks in this draft, then it seems to me that Toronto would make a concession to allow the guy to interview with this unusual season and timeframe. If none of the guys are new blood and the list is guys like Scott Perry who is a retread like Joe Dumars, then I guess it doesn’t really matter.

We don’t know who the candidates are, we don’t know who has said what, but if some of the young guys like a Bobby Webster have stated they would want to make their picks in this draft, then it seems to me that Toronto would make a concession to allow the guy to interview with this unusual season and timeframe. If none of the guys are new blood and the list is guys like Scott Perry who is a retread like Joe Dumars, then I guess it doesn’t really matter.
Did he say this? He is currently under contract with a team still in the playoffs.

If I were the Raptors, he has proprietary information. I absolutely would keep him until after the draft. Almost every top candidate under contract will likely be held to the same standard. This is not the same as hiring a coach. The Kings will be picking before the Raptors, why on earth would they allow him to leave knowing a ton of their draft plans and work for another team with that inside info?

Did he say this? He is currently under contract with a team still in the playoffs.

If I were the Raptors, he has proprietary information. I absolutely would keep him until after the draft. Almost every top candidate under contract will likely be held to the same standard. This is not the same as hiring a coach. The Kings will be picking before the Raptors, why on earth would they allow him to leave knowing a ton of their draft plans and work for another team with that inside info?
Thats not how it works usually they want there guys to move up and get a GM job not block him

Thats not how it works usually they want there guys to move up and get a GM job not block him
We are 6 weeks from the draft. This is the FO equivalent of changing coaches at the start of the playoffs.

Just citing Scott Perry as an example, we hired him in April. Knicks hired him from us immediately after the draft. There is just no way a competitive team allows a major FO guy leave at this juncture.