The art and agony of the tank (split from game thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
Sorry, that's just the way I think. I try not to put words in other people's mouths, but I'm also guilty of replying to the implications I read into them not the actual words. You're talking about Nowitzki in the context of a title contender and all I've said to this point is "Dallas looks like a playoff team next year".
Fair enough. Dirk Nowitzki is still good enough to be the second-best player on a playoff team. If he is serious about coming back next year, Dallas will probably make the playoffs; they may get as high as the sixth seed. In what way does that demonstrate that the Mavericks are "two steps ahead" of Sacramento? If anything, that would just indicate that they are on the dreaded "treadmill," just a slightly better class of treadmill that the Kings have been on. And when Nowitzki inevitably retires, unless they hit it out of the park on only the second lottery pick they've had in a decade in a half, what they're going to have left is Barnes, Noel, their 2017 first round pick, and twelve guys named Jim, and that ain't gonna be enough.

You're talking about how you don't get why I would like Barnes or Noel as key pieces to build around (you're not even going to "waste your time" typing a few words about Noel -- that's pretty strongly implied disdain is it not?)
Oh, I've made no effort to hide my disdain for Noel; I simply don't feel strongly enough about it to waste words arguing over him.

... while simultaneously talking about the bright futures of Skal and Buddy and I'm just thinking to myself "here we go again". Somehow in Kings land every unproven youngster on another team is just an unproven youngster (and believe me, I've heard all sorts of arguments why I'm crazy for wanting to trade for anyone else's unproven youngsters when all we really want here are stars dammit, established stars) yet our unproven youngsters quickly morph into something more-- they're centerpiece players in the making...
Okay, I've got to check you on this. First of All™, I didn't say **** about the "bright futures of Skal and Buddy." I don't necessarily think that Labissière and Hield have bright futures. I just think that they'll end up being as good or better than Harrison Barnes which, as I stated in Post #439, has more to do with what I think about Harrison Barnes than it does with what I think about either Skal Labissière or Buddy Hield.

Second of All, the most amusing part of this exchange to me is the notion that my opinion of Labissière and Hield is informed by some sense of homerific sentimentality, when not only am I not looking at these kids through "Kings colored glasses," I still haven't even made up my mind as to whether or not I'm going to continue to be a Kings fan.

hrdboild

Hall of Famer
Fair enough. Dirk Nowitzki is still good enough to be the second-best player on a playoff team. If he is serious about coming back next year, Dallas will probably make the playoffs; they may get as high as the sixth seed. In what way does that demonstrate that the Mavericks are "two steps ahead" of Sacramento? If anything, that would just indicate that they are on the dreaded "treadmill," just a slightly better class of treadmill that the Kings have been on. And when Nowitzki inevitably retires, unless they hit it out of the park on only the second lottery pick they've had in a decade in a half, what they're going to have left is Barnes, Noel, their 2017 first round pick, and twelve guys named Jim, and that ain't gonna be enough.

Oh, I've made no effort to hide my disdain for Noel; I simply don't feel strongly enough about it to waste words arguing over him.

Okay, I've got to check you on this. First of All™, I didn't say **** about the "bright futures of Skal and Buddy." I don't necessarily think that Labissière and Hield have bright futures. I just think that they'll end up being as good or better than Harrison Barnes which, as I stated in Post #439, has more to do with what I think about Harrison Barnes than it does with what I think about either Skal Labissière or Buddy Hield.

Second of All, the most amusing part of this exchange to me is the notion that my opinion of Labissière and Hield is informed by some sense of homerific sentimentality, when not only am I not looking at these kids through "Kings colored glasses," I still haven't even made up my mind as to whether or not I'm going to continue to be a Kings fan.
I don't think you have a homeristic sentimentality toward Kings players but a lot of people do. So my reaction to your post was more of a general reaction to so many posts over the years talking up our young players as if they're untouchable and everyone else's as bums. I do this a lot, it's not personal. I kindof reply to the crowd more than individual posters. And I'm half joking with the pseudo-outrage. This really just comes down to our vastly different opinions of how good Noel and Barnes are. I think both are starters on a playoff team and you obviously disagree. Cool. Not a problem. We've found the source of our disagreement. We've also established already that you hate the draft and the concept of tanking in general so I'm not sure why we seem to be spinning around the wheel of futility once more, rehashing an argument we've already had multiple times in the past. I was upset, I got it out of my system, now I feel better. Mostly. Team still sucks tho...

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
Well, even that is a misrepresentation of my opinion, though: it's not that I don't think that Barnes and Noel are good enough to be starters on a playoff team, but you know who else is good enough to be a starter on a playoff team? Tony Snell and JaMychal Green. It's not that I don't think that they're good enough to start on a playoff team, it's that I don't think that they're good enough to be the two best players on a playoff team. I'm not even sure that they're good enough to be two of the three best players on a playoff team.

I agree, Silver has said hes going to come down on teams for resting players, no better team to make an example of than Dallas. No coin toss if they tie Sacramento would be a good place to start.
As someone said in a previous post, this BS does not only effect lottery teams, it also effects playoff seedings.
Reverse jinx! Dallas is gonna win!

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
So now we're in a weird situation - if we win, we want the Pelicans to win too. We would rather be tied 8-9 with Dallas and have the Pelicans at 10 than be tied 8-9-10 because we could end up at 10 with our natural pick and more easily lose it to Chicago. But if we lose, we want the Pelicans to lose, because we would wrap up the 8 slot in the lottery and we'd rather have the Pelicans tied at 9-10 than 10 outright.

So now a NOLA loss coupled with a Kings loss can put the flip with Dallas and NO giving us a shot at getting 8 and 9

No Collison or Lawson..Clips fully loaded.

Now that Dallas won, the kings absolutely need to lose tonight!

Otherwise, they would be in 3 way tie for 8,9,10 with Dallas and N.O. With a win!
Actually that makes it slightly less must lose since we have to "beat" two teams in coin toss to end 10th.
It is still must lose (or NO win) to wait for lottery peacefully.

Actually that makes it slightly less must lose since we have to "beat" two teams in coin toss to end 10th.
It is still must lose (or NO win) to wait for lottery peacefully.
It's definitely must lose, we can lose and be #8 or win and possibly get #10 in a coin toss with Dallas and NO.

I would definitely sleep better sitting at #8 at the end of tonight! :)

Dallas winning is big, because they share our needs in PG. less concerned about Wolves as they have PG/SF
They might be looking for a PG. If the rumors are true they'll be looking to deal Rubio this summer. Plus, they might just grab the best talent the feel is available regardless of needs.

Sigh...1 loss after the all star break and we would be hoping for a 6/7/8 coin flip. Instead we are hoping to win a 8/9/10 coin flip where if we lose there's a possibility of also losing the pick. Kings fans have got to be the most loyal fan base. We all know what has to be done despite the front office not doing it yet here we are. Still standing by our team. o_O

Sigh...1 loss after the all star break and we would be hoping for a 6/7/8 coin flip. Instead we are hoping to win a 8/9/10 coin flip where if we lose there's a possibility of also losing the pick. Kings fans have got to be the most loyal fan base. We all know what has to be done despite the front office not doing it yet here we are. Still standing by our team. o_O
No, a loss tonight automatically gets us the 8th pick, no coin flip necessary.

Not sure if it is better for N.O. to win and have the #10 spot outright or lose tonight and N.O. would be in a tie for #9 & 10. ???

Being in a 9/10 tie, gives N.O. more ping pong balls and they may wind up at #10 after the tie break anyways.

Not sure if it is better for N.O. to win and have the #10 spot outright or lose tonight and N.O. would be in a tie for #9 & 10. ???

Being in a 9/10 tie, gives N.O. more ping pong balls and they may wind up at #10 after the tie break anyways.
I'm surprised new orleans didn't continue to figure out how Cousins and Davis could fit together rather than tanking. They were playing well for a couple of weeks.

Status
Not open for further replies.