The 2013 NBA Finals: (1) Miami Heat vs (2) San Antonio Spurs

Who will be NBA Champions?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Did you go back and look at it? I'm assuming no.

Look, you're clearly biased and want Miami to lose. I want Miami to win, but if San Antonio were to win I wouldn't be too upset. So I don't watch with a clouded view. Get it?

Considering Bosh wasn't jumping straight up that lower body contact looks like a foul to me ... Are you certain you don't watch with a clouded view? I'll gladly tell you I watch with a clouded view!

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME

Considering Bosh wasn't jumping straight up that lower body contact looks like a foul to me ... Are you certain you don't watch with a clouded view? I'll gladly tell you I watch with a clouded view!
Yep, and that's the view they didn't show on replay but the announcer kept asked for.

this series is looking more unpredictable by the game. if, for instance, Manu comes alive any time soon, the dynamic could change again, completely.
that is a solid point. the play of certain players has been completely unpredictable and inconsistent. Wade comes out and has a monster game, the huge game for Green/Neal in game 3, Bosh has been up and down, and Manu has been nothing short of terrible. the way the "Big 3" for San Antonio has been playing, they actually should feel good about being tied 2-2 right now. and if they can just get Manu, Duncan, Parker to all play decent, and Neal/Green/Leonard to knock down the open 3's, they should have no problem winning 2 of the next 3

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
And another incredible game. This is like watching high-speed battle chess with real players. Both coaches have done an incredible job in strategizing and figuring out what their opponents will most likely do in reply. I cannot recall another NBA final in recent memory that has been so entertaining.

Still on for Spurs in 6.

I cannot recall another NBA final in recent memory that has been so entertaining.

Still on for Spurs in 6.

its like strangely entertaining, even though none of the games have been close in the 4th besides game 1. super wierd series.

and yes, SPURS IN 6!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

that was fun! I don't know how Diaw defending LeBron could work, I don't know if that Manu can show up once more and I don't know whose spirit has taken possession of Danny Green. one thing I am fairly certain of, however, is that the Heat will take the next game. as well they should, because I need two more games from this series.

sidenote: sham tweeted this, but it is kind of peculiar that there's always a camera around when the Heat have their pre-game motivational huddle and you never see the Spurs doing that. fascinating stylistic contrast. hollywood as hell (to borrow from Joakim Noah) vs. we acknowledge the existence of the media, but refuse to participate in the circus.

Last edited:
This is a mega exciting, entertaining series. Play of both teams has been extremely good. Watching Manu have a break out game brought tears to my eyes :D

Kingster

Hall of Famer
This is a mega exciting, entertaining series. Play of both teams has been extremely good. Watching Manu have a break out game brought tears to my eyes :D
Yep, he's one of my all-time favorites. The guy has tremendous heart. If can muster every remaining ounce of youth for just one more game, the Spurs will win another championship.

à propos nothing really: anybody wanna guess how many transition points and dishevelled defensive possessions the Heat gave up yesterday by having Wade or LeBron complaining to the refs? Rajon Rondo was so right about that. George Hill, too, when he noted our team had that same problem.

à propos nothing really: anybody wanna guess how many transition points and dishevelled defensive possessions the Heat gave up yesterday by having Wade or LeBron complaining to the refs? Rajon Rondo was so right about that. George Hill, too, when he noted our team had that same problem.
Spurs players rarely if ever complain to refs. They leave any arguing to Pop who gets into refs face big time when necessary but rarely gets a tech since he knows just how much he can get away with. Can anyone imagine Kawhi Leonard arguing with anyone? Dude hardly ever whispers a word. I don't think I've ever heard his voice at all. Outstanding young pro who I definitely thought we should have taken over Jimmer at the time. All in all, San Antonio is one of the most professional and best executing teams on both ends of court I've ever seen at any level, in any sport.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
...sidenote: sham tweeted this, but it is kind of peculiar that there's always a camera around when the Heat have their pre-game motivational huddle and you never see the Spurs doing that. fascinating stylistic contrast. hollywood as hell (to borrow from Joakim Noah) vs. we acknowledge the existence of the media, but refuse to participate in the circus.
The Spurs don't need artificial staged hype to get themselves ready for games. They know who they are and what they need to do. LBJ, on the other hand, is still seeking validation for whatever reason. Maybe it's because he and the rest of the Heat know the Spurs are the real deal, built the old-fashioned way and confident in who they are.

à propos nothing really: anybody wanna guess how many transition points and dishevelled defensive possessions the Heat gave up yesterday by having Wade or LeBron complaining to the refs?
i totally noticed this. 2 times i saw LeBron throw a complete hissy fit, one of them resulted in a transition layup for SA, the other a Danny Green 3. there was also a lot more examples

A good performance from the Spurs, and they showed their ability to close out games, because whenever the Heat hit back they hit back harder. I really like the way they are built as a team, with players supporting each other, and playing with an identity, knowing what they need to do to win. No real selfish players on their team like the Heat. If we are to follow either model to rebuild this team to get it back to the glory days, I would much prefer we take the Spurs route.

But this series is currently set like the 2011 finals between the Mavs and Heat. The Mavs won game five in similar fashion and took a 3-2 lead to game six in Miami and beat them to win the title. I fancy the Spurs to do the same and win the next game, but as a neutral I would prefer to see it go to a decider.

The Spurs don't need artificial staged hype to get themselves ready for games. They know who they are and what they need to do. LBJ, on the other hand, is still seeking validation for whatever reason. Maybe it's because he and the rest of the Heat know the Spurs are the real deal, built the old-fashioned way and confident in who they are.
Perfect way to describe everything Lebron says and does.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
But the reason why guys like Danny Green are getting these wide open shots is because Tony Parker is the clear focus of their offense. He is their primary option and they run all their pick and rolls for him to either score or create for others. Tony Parker only had 6 points but he had 8 assists. If the stars aren't getting shot attempts then they should be getting assists by passing it out to the open guy. It's all about the role players playing OFF of the stars. That's the most important thing, not the absolute shot attempt numbers. It just so happens that the focus is on shot attempts particularly because Tyreke isn't Chris Paul or Rajon Rondo. "Taking away" shots and playing off of guys are completely different things, and it's foolish to lump them into one concept. Tony Parker could have only 3 FGA the entire game to Danny Green's 20, but I assure you that the Spurs offense will still run the same way on every possession, pick and roll for Parker to create for a Green open shot. There is ZERO chance that he would go for multiple possessions without being the driver of the offense, let alone just touching the ball like we saw happen to Tyreke.

So you're wrong. Cousins and Tyreke do have to take the most shots on a regular basis in order to force the defense to play them. I assure you defenses are perfectly happy letting Isaiah Thomas or John Salmons beat them on 1 on 1 created shots. Nobody would mind if your beloved Isaiah Thomas was simply hitting shots created for him but the fact is that most of his shots taken were selfish chucks. The reason why the Spurs get guys like Danny Green and Matt Bonner is because they don't demand shots for themselves and rarely take anything on their own. That's how the Spurs end up leading the league in assists/game. And you don't pay guys 8 million a year just to hit open 3s.

Or how about the criticism of Lebron James when he isn't aggressive, i.e. taking shots. He can have 10 assists and actually be playing a good team game but the team is at their best when he's scoring. What's the point of stars and superstars if you're not going to run your offense through them?
I guess you don't understand the article. The article clearly shows that your better offensive players don't have to take the most shots. Some nights they should, others they shouldn't, depending on the type of shots they can get in the game. In other words - it's not predetermined. The shots that players should get is a function of the defense played against those players and whether they are getting good or not so good opportunities. All the rest of your argument is irrelevant. Who cares whether the role players feed off the stars? That is irrelevant to the thrust of the article. Who cares who is the "focus", whatever the hell that is. Who cares whether Green couldn't get the shots he's getting if he had to continuously drive the ball. Again irrelevant. You miss the point of arbitrage. No one is disputing that the better players are going to create shots for the players that aren't better. That's not the thrust of the article. What is in dispute is that there in a predetermined robotic fashion those better players should "get theirs" on a regular basis. Your argument is thouroughly debunked by this article.

You're IT-Tyreke thing is old. Get a clue. Get a life. And get off of it.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I guess you don't understand the article. The article clearly shows that your better offensive players don't have to take the most shots. Some nights they should, others they shouldn't, depending on the type of shots they can get in the game. In other words - it's not predetermined. The shots that players should get is a function of the defense played against those players and whether they are getting good or not so good opportunities. All the rest of your argument is irrelevant. Who cares whether the role players feed off the stars? That is irrelevant to the thrust of the article. Who cares who is the "focus", whatever the hell that is. Who cares whether Green couldn't get the shots he's getting if he had to continuously drive the ball. Again irrelevant. You miss the point of arbitrage. No one is disputing that the better players are going to create shots for the players that aren't better. That's not the thrust of the article. What is in dispute is that there in a predetermined robotic fashion those better players should "get theirs" on a regular basis. Your argument is thouroughly debunked by this article.

Your whole point is validated by the success of the Spurs. They have won championships by not relying on the "predetermined robotic fashion" that "better players should 'get theirs' on a regular basis." Pop has no problem in shifting focus and keeping the defense on its toes...and I truly believe that will earn him another championship tonight.

And you still don't understand that end of the day, your offense has to be designed to ensure your stars do get theirs. It's not a game by game thing, it's the concept of how you design your offense for the entire season. That's why Danny Green will never lead the team in attempts over the course of a month. That's the issue that many of us had over here, the same thing going on every game for weeks. There's a difference between adjusting to your second or third options and being forced to take what the defense gives you.

As for your last line... I'm not getting into a p*ss fight with you. It's laughable that you tell me that Tyreke-IT thing is old yet you are always the one bringing up things to support your agenda that IT should be featured on our team. I seem annoying because I'm always responding to what you first bring up.

Last edited:
Your whole point is validated by the success of the Spurs. They have won championships by not relying on the "predetermined robotic fashion" that "better players should 'get theirs' on a regular basis." Pop has no problem in shifting focus and keeping the defense on its toes...and I truly believe that will earn him another championship tonight.
The key word here is relying. The Spurs know how yo move the ball and their role players are far more consistent and reliable than ours, but if you don't think for one moment that Pop would rather have Parker and Duncan scoring first you're crazy. And throughout all of this they are still playing the same way through Parker. The only difference is the person getting the shots, not the one handling and running the offense.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
The key word here is relying. The Spurs know how yo move the ball and their role players are far more consistent and reliable than ours, but if you don't think for one moment that Pop would rather have Parker and Duncan scoring first you're crazy. And throughout all of this they are still playing the same way through Parker. The only difference is the person getting the shots, not the one handling and running the offense.
The Spurs are the textbook example of how a successful team utilizes their roleplayers and doesn't have to rely on their stars. Pop doesn't care WHO scores the points as long as the team wins. In fact, he relies on the fact that people will overdefend his stars. You obviously think it's all about the stars, which is fine, but is totally disproved by the Spurs.

You might want to read the article again, as you've obviously missed some key points.

And you still don't understand that end of the day, your offense has to be designed to ensure your stars do get theirs.
Pop and the Spurs prove you wrong.

The Spurs are the textbook example of how a successful team utilizes their roleplayers and doesn't have to rely on their stars. Pop doesn't care WHO scores the points as long as the team wins. In fact, he relies on the fact that people will overdefend his stars. You obviously think it's all about the stars, which is fine, but is totally disproved by the Spurs.

You might want to read the article again, as you've obviously missed some key points.

Pop and the Spurs prove you wrong.
VF you misunderstand me... I've watched the Spurs all year long. Perhaps I didn't phrase my statement about Pop so well. You are absolutely right that Pop doesn't care who scores the points. What he does care about is that the Spurs still run their offense no matter what, and the fact is that their offense runs through Parker first and foremost. Their stars never get freezed out because some role player hogs the ball. Their offense is designed to have Parker score by getting into the lane. When the defense collapses he kicks it to their shooters. That's the basis of their offense and Parker scoring is precisely what opens up scoring opportunities for others. It's not so much about who scores as it is about who's getting the touches. Parker could even go scoreless in a game but other than it being an off game for him you can be sure he'll still be initiating the offense most of the time.

Here's a quote from the article.
The best players will still end up taking more shots and scoring more points than the weaker players. But if defenses are guarding the stars more tightly and leaving easier opportunities for weaker players, a well-coached team will exploit the opportunity
How is it then that when it's all said and done the best players still end up taking more shots? That was my point earlier when I said that Danny Green will never attempt more shots than Parker over the course of a month. And what defense will guard stars tightly if the stars are just chucked aside to stand in the corner, or if they don't even touch the ball in a position to score on offense? (I compare this to the situation of our team last season that Kingster refers to, where fans were grumbling when IT was taking more shots than Tyreke and sometimes Cousins) That's what I mean when I say the Spurs offense is designed to let Parker "get his" first. That's why they run pick and rolls for him on every possession. He hasn't scored as much this series but their plays are exactly the same as they were against the Warriors and Grizzlies, except they were giving him the shot then as opposed to Miami trapping him now.

You know what's funny though? I actually think the Spurs are extremely robotic and pre-determined in their offense. And that's what makes them so darn good - regardless of opponent they just go out and execute the same way. Their playing style doesn't change. It's Parker pick and rolls all day long, and what's great is all the misdirection and off-ball stuff that makes them unguardable to the average team.

Last edited:
not to take away from the season he's been playing or what he's done in the playoffs before, but in the finals Splitter has been completely useless.

Status
Not open for further replies.