Thank you Yao: Yao Ming set to retire

rainmaker

Hall of Famer
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_y...?slug=aw-wojnarowski_yao_ming_retiring_070811

Yao Ming(notes), one of the seminal figures in the globalization of the NBA, has decided to retire after nine injury-plagued seasons with the Houston Rockets, league sources told Yahoo! Sports.
Yao played just five games last season, and hasn’t been able to fully recover after having surgery in January to repair a stress fracture in his left foot. The veteran center informed the Rockets, the league office in New York and NBA China of his decision to leave the game within the past 48 hours, sources said.

It's a slow offseason, so I thought some might be interested. Good luck Yao. It's a shame it came to an end like this.

I'm sorry his carrer was so full of injuries. What I've heard is that he is a really nice guy, too. I wish him all the best in the next chapter of his life. :)

And this thread should be in the NBA section. Mods...?

Thanks Yao, I truly enjoyed watching you and it sucks your career had to end due to injuries like this...thanks for the memories big guy!!

Last edited by a moderator:
It's unfortunate, but it begs the question: with Yi faltering badly in the NBA, who's the next Chinese/Asian sensation? I remember there was this guy several years back who was proclaimed the next "Chinese Iverson" or something to that effect, but obviously he also faltered. Have to wonder if the next sensation is a big man or a PG.

rainmaker

Hall of Famer
It seems injuries have robbed us of more star players than before the past 15 years or so. Yao might have been the nicest guy out of the bunch, if he was healthy he would still have a few more years of being the best center in the league.

(Before anyone says Dwight, http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/h2h_finder.cgi?request=1&p1=mingya01&p2=howardw01 )
I blame it on China. They literaly ran Yao into the ground, and forced him to play year round too many times, when a player his size needs more rest than most.